Who went to Epcot when it first opened?

My first visit to EPCOT was Jan '83 when it had been open for just 3 months. Nothing existed where Living Seas is and Imagination had just opened up in full, not being quite ready at the official opening. The original Imagination 3D movie (pre EO) was very visual...floating thru an apple orchard in bloom, and the witch with electric fingernails :scared1:

I'm not positive, but I think this movie was later moved to MK, where Mickey's PhilharMagic is today. Captain Eo was an improvement, though I never was a fan of Michael Jackson. I think I still have a few pairs of the purple 3D glasses somewhere.

We were there in November of '82...so it was pretty much brand new!
epcot21982.jpg

epcot1982.jpg

We went in October of 1982, I was about 7 years old. I remember thinking Future World was okay (also remember Mickey in the 'tin foil' outfit) but I HATED World Showcase. There is a picture of me in UK on this pole thing and I am pouting. Then we followed it up every trip with my picture in the same spot. It became much more interesting as I got older. All I wanted to do at 7 was see characters and go on rides, learning was for school and I was on vacation. :earsboy: Now I just want to go drink around the world, never did it when I was a cast member. :confused3

I also visited in '83 I have some pics of my fam beneath Spaceship Earth, they have to be scanned, maybe tonight.

I remember enjoying Future World, Figment, Kitchen Kaberet, Universe of Energy, but being bored to tears in the World Showcase. I remember the China circlevision movie, I was very aggravated that I had to stand up.

I'm not positive, but I think this movie was later moved to MK, where Mickey's PhilharMagic is today. Captain Eo was an improvement, though I never was a fan of Michael Jackson. I think I still have a few pairs of the purple 3D glasses somewhere.
Yes, it was moved to MK and was shown in the theater where Philharmagic is shown now, I believe it replaced Mickey Mouse Review.

Yes, it was moved to MK and was shown in the theater where Philharmagic is shown now, I believe it replaced Mickey Mouse Review.

It did--and it was called Magic Journeys :goodvibes
I have that oddly-soothing theme song on my iPod...it was a good movie.

I miss Captain EO too and am probably the only person who does! Well...that was back before all the, er, extreme weirdness started.

My first trip to Epcot was in the summer of 1984. I was 15, and absolutely loved it. In 1988, I got to go again, on my high school senior class trip. Again, I enjoyed Epcot just as much as MK, if not a bit more.

I fondly remember the video phones in Communicore, Horizons, and Body Wars.

Sadly, it was 20 years between that trip, and my next one which happened in the summer of 2008. I still love Epcot, though I miss some of the attractions that have been removed over the years, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that DD13 also loved it.

It was 82 or 83 and I LOVED FutureWorld.
I was so excited that I literally ran to Spaceship Earth dragging my parents to Spaceship Earth (I was about 10 or 11) just to find out it was closed for repair.
Imagination became my immediate favorite after that (who doesn't love purple dragons?)
And I still remember the robot in Communicore that asked questions and talked back to you (primitive version of Turtle Talk I guess).
I also loves the dining reservation system at Communicore.
No WDW-DINE, it was touch screen and sooooo easy.

-M.

It was 82 or 83 and I LOVED FutureWorld.
I was so excited that I literally ran to Spaceship Earth dragging my parents to Spaceship Earth (I was about 10 or 11) just to find out it was closed for repair.
Imagination became my immediate favorite after that (who doesn't love purple dragons?)
And I still remember the robot in Communicore that asked questions and talked back to you (primitive version of Turtle Talk I guess).
I also loves the dining reservation system at Communicore.
No WDW-DINE, it was touch screen and sooooo easy.

-M.

Yes, but then you had to take what was available. Although that was part of the fun, trying to figure out where you would be eating.

We went in early November 1982. Lots of attraction snafus (pauses/breakdowns), but we still had a blast. It's still my favorite park.

I went that following summer...June of 83. I went with my aunt, uncle, cousins & grandmother. I remember thinking it was soooo boring....I had just graduated from high school...I didn't want to learn anything else until I moved in to the dorm!

When I first went to EPCOT Center it was June of 1983 and I was 9. That happened to be the first time my family had ever been to WDW. I remember a lot about that trip, for one, we spent the whole morning in FW and my Dsis and I thought that was soooooo cool, we loved all the rides. However when we went to WS we thought it was soooooo boring, too much like school, except we loved how there was a boat ride in Mexico. After that trip, I couldn't tell you how many times I have been back....Epcot is one of my favorite parks in WDW besides MK of course :goodvibes

The movie, "Magic Journeys" previewed in 3D at the MK after the MM Revue was moved to Tokyo DL. Magic Journeys then went to the Imagination pavillion in Epcot and was replaced by the Lion King show. It was puppets and video from the movie. Philharmagic came after that and Captain Eo replaced Magic Journeys at JII.

He was named SMART 1 and played math games with guests. They also had an early version of Cyber SM where you design a coaster and view it on a video screen.

Went right after it opened. I was only a year old, but looking at the pics from that trip is fun.

Great thread! I first visited Epcot in 1987 & remember Figment the most! Wasn't Michael Jackson somehow involved with that attraction too?

LOVE the old pics, keep 'em coming. I think I recognized that 1984 Members Only jacket as the same one my dad had that year!

I remember going in the mid-80's.

I was 10 or so and loved Epcot. It wasnt MK, but it was different and its own thing! It eventually became my families favorite park probably. They all have their own charm, etc.

Does anyone remember the are after getting off Spaceship Earth where you could make reservations to eat by video-phone with CM's?

I forgot about Figment! But, I had a Figment Hat!

I didn't want to do it but you made me!

Ok, the weather here is horrible so I didn't make it to my parents' house to pick up the pictures of our first trip but I just got out my old "stash". Our "Vacation Kingdom 6 Day Passport" that we used from 12/23/82-12/29/82 cost $42.90! Our card that "identified us as guests of a resort hotel" says we stayed in room 1307 at the Polynesian. I have a pamphlet titled "Tips on Your Visit" that explains "how to see the most of The Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center." Things like a list of "counter service restaurants that do not require reservations." The list is:
The Renaissance Food Festival between UK and France
Odyssey near World Showcase
Sunrise Terrace in CommuniCore West
Le Cellier in Canada (can you believe it - no reservations at Le Cellier?????)
Stargate in CommuniCore East
Liberty Inn in the American Adventure
Farmer's Market in The Land

I also found our tickets and a place mat for the "Pioneer Hall Revue" which were $17.00 for adults and $14 for us juniors! We were seated at table 12 on 12/24/82

I found an unused adult 5th day ticket and a child's 6th day ticket. Not too sure what these are though! :confused3 And a pile of tickets to Discovery Island (we went once and thought it was like a zoo :rotfl: )

What a fun post about the olden days of EPCOT! I will still get some pics scanned and posted soon!

We were there in March of 83. I remember loving it as much as MK. Then again ~ I wasn't a normal 9 year old!

Great thread! I first visited Epcot in 1987 & remember Figment the most! Wasn't Michael Jackson somehow involved with that attraction too?

LOVE the old pics, keep 'em coming. I think I recognized that 1984 Members Only jacket as the same one my dad had that year!

Yes, I believe the 3D movie there before "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" was "Captain Eo." Last time I saw that movie was in Disneyland. They had it longer than EPCOT if I remember correctly. Thanks to the magic of YouTube, you can still see it (in non-3D of course) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstW05bDiQU

I still vividly remember him dancing away at the end to his "You're Just Another Part of Me" song. Ah, good times, good times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter