Who went to Epcot when it first opened?

Disneyfan71

Paging Mr. Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow, your par
As many of you know, EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow) was conceived before Walt Disney's (my hero) death. But opened in October 1982. How many of you went when it first opened?

I went in August of 1983 so it was practially brand new. And I remember the Universe Of Energy, World Of Motion and so on. I know it's changed...and went several times (1986, 1995) but I'm looking forward to seeing the new changes.

I went spring of 83. I was 11years old. I remember seeing the pictures of it in the newspaper and reading about it when it first opened. I recall the reviews weren't all that great back when it opened. My strongest memories from early Epcot were Figment and the dinosaurs in Universe of Energy. I'm pretty sure my youngest brother still has a figment hat from that first trip.

I would love to see retro maps from the 80's for Epcot and MK just to jog the memory. WDW to an 11 year old is about as good as it got back then. Heck, the highlight of our school Sea World trips used to be going up in the observation tower and getting a glimpse of the tops of WDW attractions.

I remember going when it was brand new and my tweener age self being bored. My strongest memory was of the "futuristic" playground in the Imagination pavilion and the ride in Mexico. Anything that was a ride I liked because the place is so huge and seemed to be full of movies and presentations instead of "fun" things. EPCOT was PBS and MK was Saturday morning cartoons to me at that age.

EPCOT Center was still pretty new when we visited in Feb 1984. The Living Seas pavilion was still being built, and Morocco and Norway weren't in the World Showcase yet. We loved EPCOT! I remember World of Motion, Horizons, Kitchen Kabaret, Spaceship Earth narrated by Walter Cronkite, and Communicore as attractions we really liked. We also loved making our dinner reservations on the video phones near Communicore in the morning. We did everything at least twice- had a lot of fun!

I didn't get to go back to Epcot until 2004- 20 years later!! It had changed a lot, but I still loved it then, and I still love it today. We probably spend more time at Epcot than at any of the other parks- it has been DD's favorite park since she was 6.

I was 11 yrs. old as well, going on 12. And to me Epcot was kind of boring. It wasn't MK of course..no rollercoasters or anything. But the communicore was pretty cool.

When I went back in 1986 the Living Seas was open..that was pretty cool, but again I was bored.

Being older now, and having been since 1986 I liked Epcot. And I'm sure now with Test Track that's made it even more popular. As well as Mission Space :)

Does anyone remember Horizons? That wasn't open in 1983, but was in 1986..was a very neat ride--ahead of it's time. Too bad the sponsor withdrew.

I remember the Horizons attraction being there, but I can't remember what it was. The name just sticks in my mind. I went back to WDW in 97 and seemed to recall that something had changed and I want to say it was the Horizons. I just can't recall any specifics. That info must have been in the brain cells I fried in college.

Horizons closed, can't remember when..but Misson Space took over :)

My 97 trip was after GE pulled out and there were minor changes made because of that. Its all coming back to me slowly and as I find more info on the internet.

We went in March 1983. MCO was not a hugh international airport at the time. I remember landing and having to take the steps down from the plane and walk into the terminal. It was freezing and we did not bring our winter jackets. We still love EPCOT, the old and the current.

I went for the first time in 1983 as well and I was 10, nearly 11 . . . LOVED the Kitchen Kabaret, dinosaurs in the Universe of Energy, Figment (baby brother fell in love with Figment at first sight!), Mexico boat ride, spaceship earth, communicore, etc. etc. Also went back a few times in the 80's and liked the GM pavilion, took the backstage Listen to the Land tour, Living Seas, etc. . . . just went last fall with our children and still enjoyed it but it has really changed! I miss the pavilion that was about the human body -- anybody remember that one? spaceship earth to me is not as good now that they have revamped it with new narration but the cartoon that is designed around you at the end is pretty cute!

We went in December (Christmas trip) of 1982. In fact, we recently uncovered some CRAZY pictures of my brother and I from that trip. I'll try to scan in a few and post them after work tonight. We were 13 and 16 on that trip. My brother is wearing an EPCOT shirt that must have been one of the first printed!

My first ever trip to WDW was in February 1983, I was 6 years old...and I fell in love. I wish my kids could see the old attractions, they'd love them.

We went in 1988 while on college spring break at coco beach. We only had 2 hours and some lady told us to go to an attraction (can't remember what is was called) so we wait in line for 45 minutes and then find out it was Michael Jackson on the big screen. What a waste of time that was. I use to think Epcot was a bore because of that.

We went in the early 80's when I was 11 or 12. I didn't like the dinosaurs because I thought it smelled bad on that part of the ride! I loved the playground and ride with Figment. (the original - I hate it now) I had a Figment stuffed animal but don't have it anymore.

Later, when Horizons was there, that was my favorite ride because of the "pick your own ending" part - did you want to live in the desert, ocean or space? Now they do a little of that on Spaceship Earth so that helped me feel better about losing Horizons! :rotfl2: Funny thing is I watched the Horizons ride on You Tube a few months ago and it looks so boring! I don't know why I liked it so much as a kid.

I also remember making dining reservations at that place the morning you go there!

We went in Feb. of 83 for our honeymoon. Still remember the robotic lawnmower lol.
Margaret

I remember it from 1983 a little, I remember being amazed by Spaceship Earth and I remember Mickey running around future world in what looked like a tin foil costume with a rainbow on the front. I also remember all the characters in the World Showcase being dressed in the costumes from the countries (have a pic of me and Mickey in his Canadian Mountie gear). I have the book at home from the opening, its very interesting as their are things in it they never built (i.e. an Israel and an Equatorial Africa pavilion). Lastly, I remember The Seas being much better, seemed like there was more to do inside the attraction.

When I was there in Nov. 07 they had a history of EPCOT set up in the back of building that houses the character meet and greet in Future World. I think it's seasonal though as it was closed when I was there last

ME ME ME ME MEEEEE!!!!

I was in 3rd grade and living in FL at the time. We were there within the first 3-4 months of EPCOT opening. My parents have GREAT pics- tons of them. Next time I am home I'm going to have to raid the photo album and scan a bunch to post on here :)

I fell in love with Figment :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter