Who went to Epcot when it first opened?

My parents were invited to a soft opening in 82. My dad recalls being very bored and unimpressed, lol. I think he would really appreciate a PP's analogy to PBS. He actually cannot believe Epcot is our favorite park. They are going with us this June. That 82 trip to Epcot was the last time they've ever been on Disney World property.... 81 was the last time they were at the Magic Kingdom. I can't wait to see what my dad thinks of Epcot *now*.

I think I first went in August (what were my parents thinking?) of 1983 and every year after for about 9 years. I remember the opening of the Living Seas and Norway.

Of the attractions there, my entire family LOVED Journey Into Imagination the best. In fact I get depressed going into the Imagination Pavillion now knowing how great the old ride was. I remember also liking the ride in the Mexico pavillion. Oh, and I also liked Horizons because your family got to pick the ending. (It's nice to see that idea resurface in Spaceship Earth.)

My least favorite ride was the Universe of Energy. The dinosaurs were cool and the way the theater became the ride was cool, but the 20 minute video was gawd awful. It was so boring! I kind of feel that way about the video that's at the end of Maelstorm now.

One of the other attractions I miss is the Kitchen Cabaret in the Land pavillion. It was corny, but always made me laugh.

Although I miss many of the attractions from the 80's, I also like most of the changes they have made and the new attractions. That is all except Imagination! Bring back Dreamfinder, Figment is lost without him!

I vaguely remember going sometime BEFORE it opened. I remember seeing them building Spaceship Earth. I think maybe we rode the monorail and saw it that way. Too long ago to remember much. Coincidentally I just found a 5 day pass from 1986, cost $73 including tax for ALL 5 days! Those were the days.

We went in 1988 while on college spring break at coco beach. We only had 2 hours and some lady told us to go to an attraction (can't remember what is was called) so we wait in line for 45 minutes and then find out it was Michael Jackson on the big screen. What a waste of time that was. I use to think Epcot was a bore because of that.

Totally remember that, too! I was there in spring of 1988.

When I was there in Nov. 07 they had a history of EPCOT set up in the back of building that houses the character meet and greet in Future World. I think it's seasonal though as it was closed when I was there last

That was a great gallery, wasn't it? I read on another board in the past couple weeks that it isn't open anymore....have no idea if that's true or if it's "seasonal" now or what.

My parents took me (in a stroller) for the first time in '83. I have found pics of me at EPCOT CENTER (which it will always be, at least to me!) dating back to '85. I LOVED that park (guess I was a dorky kid!), it always felt so futuristic and exciting to me.

I miss Dreamfinder and his flying machine, the swamp gas smell in Universe of Energy, Walter Cronkite narrating SE, and HORIZONS. Every time I smell the oranges on Soarin' I shed a tear and think of the robotic butler and Jules Verne floating around in a space capsule. And saying to my parents 'isn't that the same family from the Carousel of Progress?' (I told you I was a dork LOL)

I went with my DD when I was 10, Spring Break 1983. I still remember the old figment and dreamcatcher. Now I ride Figment with my DD who is 2 and a half.

figment.jpg

I remember going before it opened also. The monorail was finished and we could ride past it and see them building spaceship earth. I was only 4 but remember it.

I loved dreamfinder and figment and standing in the middle of the dancing fountains getting soaked. Do they still let you do that?

1st time i went to Epcot there was no Horizons or Living Seas.

The line for the Mexico Ride was out the front doors and down the steps. (We went back later in the day after the ride had been down. They were just opening the ride again and we were able to walk on).

All of the shows and rides were full to capacity.

I remember the restaurant over between TT and WS being open.

We went in 1988 while on college spring break at coco beach. We only had 2 hours and some lady told us to go to an attraction (can't remember what is was called) so we wait in line for 45 minutes and then find out it was Michael Jackson on the big screen. What a waste of time that was. I use to think Epcot was a bore because of that.

Oh yeah-Captain EO, I think...

I remember thinking that ALL of EPCOT was inside the ball:rotfl:

we went in August of 1983. I have two distinct memories: standing in a line that went around and around Spaceship Earth, in the hot, middle of the day sun. It felt like we stood in that line FOREVER!
And then waiting to eat dinner at the French restaurant. Again, it felt like we waited FOREVER to eat! So, not the greatest memories! :laughing: I love it much more today!

Call me crazy, but we went to Epcot in either late 1978 or 1979 right after we got married. World Showcase wasn't in exsistence yet....probably was under construction, I don't remember....but FutureWorld was open. My husband's family had friends who worked there and they gave us tickets as a wedding gift. I know it was prior to 1980 because our first child was born in 1980.

Edited: My husband looked up the timeline and is telling me we couldn't have gone before 1980, but I swear we were there before we had our first child. Maybe it was the "soft opening" somebody mentioned since the World Showcase portion wasn't open when we were there. I'll have to look in some old photos and see if we have any that can back me up.

I went that first year. It was HOT. The trees were still small and there just didn't seem anywhere to get a way from the heat.

Figment, ah figment! He was awesome and the ending of the ride with all of the growing plants in fast motion. I was very dissipointed not to find this when I went back last year. Sigh....

Horizons was the hands down family favorite. I too fell a bit of nostalgia when I smell the oranges on Soarin. I think that it was one of the big deals about Horizons.

Call me crazy, but we went to Epcot in either late 1978 or 1979 right after we got married. World Showcase wasn't in exsistence yet....probably was under construction, I don't remember....but FutureWorld was open. My husband's family had friends who worked there and they gave us tickets as a wedding gift. I know it was prior to 1980 because our first child was born in 1980.

Edited: My husband looked up the timeline and is telling me we couldn't have gone before 1980, but I swear we were there before we had our first child. Maybe it was the "soft opening" somebody mentioned since the World Showcase portion wasn't open when we were there. I'll have to look in some old photos and see if we have any that can back me up.

OK...you're crazy! :lmao:

July of 1983 for me.....went with family and friends. Funny thing we remodeled our basement and I found all my pictures of this trip just the other night. Funny to look back and see yourself as a teenager. How time flies!

My first visit to EPCOT was Jan '83 when it had been open for just 3 months. Nothing existed where Living Seas is and Imagination had just opened up in full, not being quite ready at the official opening. The original Imagination 3D movie (pre EO) was very visual...floating thru an apple orchard in bloom, and the witch with electric fingernails :scared1: Everything was so new and impressive. Seeing Sapceship Earth for the first time as you approached on the highway was incredible. Kitchen Kaberet and World of Motion were top favorites. Miss those. I'm not sure if Horizons was open yet - I don't think so.
Innovontions was Communicore East and West and had some really cool stuff. Making dinner reservations at World Keys, located under Spaceship Earth and a few locations around World Showcase was really neat - touch screen play and video conferencing!

WS didn't have Norway or Morrocco. I did attend the Morrocco grand opening years later, with live camels and all!

25 years ago and during mid Jan slow season - we rode everything multiple times, soaked up every detail and ate at All the WS restaurants. Mostly as walkups and a few World key reservations.
Does anyone remember the name of he mascot that was on the touchscreen of the world keys?
I don't recall if there were any fireworks on the lagoon when they opened. During mid Jan they would have only been on a Saturday night if at all.

My girlfriend and I visited during our College senior year winter break. It was her first time to any Disney ever. She loved it too, so I knew she was a keeper - we married in '85.

We had a great, great time that first time. We always do each time we return.

July of 1983 for me.....went with family and friends. Funny thing we remodeled our basement and I found all my pictures of this trip just the other night. Funny to look back and see yourself as a teenager. How time flies!

And to see what you were wearing! :rotfl:

OMG that picture of Dreamfinder...I miss him :( I bought a Dreamfinder t-shirt in the gift shop the other day and was soooo excited.

I'd almost forgotten about "Rainbowy Space Mickey!" What an odd costume. I had the plush for years and eventually all the silvery glitter wore off his clothes and my mom made me throw him away. Now I wish I would've kept it, even in the state it was in!

My mom and I were just talking about the WorldKey kiosks when we went to guest relations to make dining ressies...they were so cool to use and seemed so futuristic back then. The little pavilion thing is still there, they just removed the screens and boarded over the holes. I miss those.

Remember the divers going in and out of the tank through the airlock in The Living Seas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter