Who was watching General Hospital back in 1981?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
I saw the cover of a little mag at the grocer's this week and it had Luke and Laura which led me to recall college days and the saga of 'Luke & Laura'.

It's funny to recall that we were led into a mesmerizing love story which started when the lead actor RAPED the girl.

Probably wouldn't go over today. What were we thinking??

Remember the wedding, how they danced to Percy Faith "Fascination"? I remember excitedly calling my mama and saying, "Mama! WHAT is this music?? Why does it sound so familiar??"

"Oh honey! We used to play that album every night on the stereo when we put you to bed!" (this was 1964)

I can still remember walking through the student lounge at Auburn and guys and gals were gathered around the TV watching.

I wonder why we were all so fascinated by this couple. Luke wasn't good looking and he was basically a rapist. What a weird story!

And Luke was also connected to the Mob.

Yeah, it was a big thing among college students back then.

That was me!! We must be the same age. I was in my Freshman year of college in 1981 and we used to all gather in the student lounge to watch GH, although I was watching it all through high school.

I was in high school and we were done at 1:30, I watched every day!

:wave:

I was in Jr High but would watch every day when I got home from school. Remember the wedding and the whole story line. It didn't seem weird at the time but looking back several years later :scared:

I had never watched a "Daytime Drama" in my life(or since) but somehow DW got me sucked into GH during that era. My sense is that the Luke & Laura storyline was groundbreaking for the genre. I suppose it was an attempt to lower the demographic average to a number more appealing to advertisers.

Yes!! Loved it. Watched it everyday. I was 9 in 1981.
My parents recently moved and brought over my original copy of that people magazine. Lol

Luke and Laura? OK thank you for solving my personal mystery regarding what medical soap opera my Nana watched. With those character names I know it wasn't General Hospital yet recall it was greatly loved by many.

I watched too! Not sure what year they married (I remember watching the wedding), but in 1981 I was 11. I also remember my mom saying that she didn’t understand why Laura married Luke because he raped her. I think she wanted me to know that was not ok.

Loved GH back then! I honestly had forgotten that it started with him being her rapist! Even for back then, its strange that it went over so well. I mean I get the draw to the bad boys but dang!

John Stamos as Blackie was my favorite character!

I was a HUGE fan then and still am now! I used to race home from high school to watch it. I bought that soap magazine last week in the store- many great memories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter