Who was watching General Hospital back in 1981?

I was not a fan, actually hated (& still do) soaps. But it was my Nana's favorite show so when I got home from school we would have tea and watch it together and just talk. I miss those days & her:sad:

I'm excited to read that they're bringing Laura back with a good storyline!

I started watching GH in 1978. The Luke and Laura story is probably my all time favorite soap storyline. I believe their wedding aired for 2 episodes on November 16 and 17 , 1981. I was a senior in college at the time. My understanding is that it was the most watched soap episode of all time...over 30 million people watched. Genie Francis left the show 2 months later and it was never the same. Luke and Laura were reunited in December 1983 and left the show together, It was the perfect ending to the most popular soap romance of all time.

I have watched it for as long as I can remember. I watched it with my mom. I was only 2 in 81 but I have seen the episode when they did a marathon of GH episodes for the 50th anniversary on Soap Net. I now have my son and daughter watching with me.

Yup! I remember watching in my college dorm Luke, Laura, Scorpio and was it Tiffany? save the world from the weather machine thing. I just stopped watching GH a few months ago after realizing I wasn't looking forward to it anymore, and 5 hours a week was a lot of time for something I wasn't enjoying.

I'e been watching GH since it started back in the 60's. I was in a Sears store the day of the wedding. Everyone was in the TV department watching it. I guess no one wanted to buy anything that day or if they did they were out of luck until after the sho

LOL. I stopped watching GH in 1969. Who are this Luke and Laura you speak of? :rolleyes1

Yup! I remember watching in my college dorm Luke, Laura, Scorpio and was it Tiffany? save the world from the weather machine thing.

OMG, yes, that whole Ice Princess storyline was ridiculous. TBH, I never cared that much for Luke and Laura as a couple. The rape thing was disturbing and Luke was unattractive and too old for her. LOL, I thought she should’ve stayed with Scotty. I liked Robert Scorpio with Holly, then Anna. (Love Tristan Rogers and his charming Aussie accent!)

Haven’t watched in years, but I was a regular viewer on and off from the late 70’s until sometime in the 90’s.

Last edited:
I especially liked some of the secondary characters back then.

Alan Quartermaine's snooty sister Tracey. (Jane Elliot)

Luke's younger sister (actress Jackie Zeman, don't remember character's name) former prostitute who became a nurse.

Gossipy busybody nurse Amy, who made it her business to mind everybody else's.

Older nurse Jessie.

OMG, yes, that whole Ice Princess storyline was ridiculous. TBH, I never cared that much for Luke and Laura as a couple. The rape thing was disturbing and Luke was unattractive and too old for her. LOL, I thought she should’ve stayed with Scotty. I liked Robert Scorpio with Holly, then Anna. (Love Tristan Rogers and his charming Aussie accent!)

Haven’t watched in years, but I was a regular viewer on and off from the late 70’s until sometime in the 90’s.

I really did like the Robert, Shawn, WSB, Anna Devane story line.

I first watched it right around the time they got married. I was a kid and I was in the hospital. My room mate was a baby and his mother watched it. Back then the rooms shared one TV, so our deal was that I watched any cartoons that were on as long as in the afternoon she watched GH. :)

I had no idea about how their story began when I first saw them. But I do recall that anytime I read a story about them, they always brought up the controversial start to the couple.

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were at Auburn at the same time!!!

Oh my gosh! That is so cool! My son also went there and we keep up with football like maniacs every fall!

YES Tristan Rogers! *swoooon* I had a huge crush on Scotty!

You probably remember Steve, Audrey, Jessie and Phil.

I remember my mom watching in the 60’s when I was really little, but then she got away from it. My main memory is of a man accidentally killing someone when she hit her head on a dresser or something and that really being scary to me at the time, but I also remember Jessie and Steve for some reason. I got into it in high school, just about the time Luke and Laura began, but after high school I got away from it again. Some of those storylines were really out there.

I dabbled in it a bit but never really loved it. I remember the characters talked about here. I did not remember the rape part, but maybe that's why I didn't feel right about it back then, idk. Not a Luke fan, or a Laura fan, for that matter. I liked some of the other characters better.

I especially liked some of the secondary characters back then.

Alan Quartermaine's snooty sister Tracey. (Jane Elliot)

Luke's younger sister (actress Jackie Zeman, don't remember character's name) former prostitute who became a nurse.

Gossipy busybody nurse Amy, who made it her business to mind everybody else's.

Older nurse Jessie.
Jackie Zeman plays Nurse Barbara Jean "Bobbie" Spencer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!