Who was watching General Hospital back in 1981?

My DH & I were just talking about GH the other night. We both watched (separately, then together) for years. Remember Frisco & Felicia? They were favorites, too!

After Luke and Laura left in 1984, I lost interest even though I still watch. I preferred Y&R and DOOL and still do today. I hate the Sonny, Carly, Jason mob stories that have dominated the show over the last 25 years. The Scotty/Laura/Luke .(1977- 1984) years were such a golden period for GH.

I started watching GH in 1978. The Luke and Laura story is probably my all time favorite soap storyline. I believe their wedding aired for 2 episodes on November 16 and 17 , 1981. I was a senior in college at the time. My understanding is that it was the most watched soap episode of all time...over 30 million people watched. Genie Francis left the show 2 months later and it was never the same. Luke and Laura were reunited in December 1983 and left the show together, It was the perfect ending to the most popular soap romance of all time.

I started watching it in 1978 also, about the time when Laura was a teenager dating Scotty and they had that special ornament on the Christmas tree (for some reason I remember that-it may not have been a big deal). What's funny about Demi Moore is that when she was on, I thought she was a terrible actress. When she left, at first I figured she'd been fired. Shows what I know!

I started watching it in 1978 also, about the time when Laura was a teenager dating Scotty and they had that special ornament on the Christmas tree (for some reason I remember that-it may not have been a big deal). What's funny about Demi Moore is that when she was on, I thought she was a terrible actress. When she left, at first I figured she'd been fired. Shows what I know!

Yes, it was a Christmas Angel tree topper.
I hated Jackie's (Demi's) voice. My big problem was I couldn't accept anyone with Luke so soon after Laura's "death".

There was a girl...I think her name was Hillary, who was from Georgia and I remember there was a character on the show (either GH or All my Children) named Bob Georgia, and one day she said, "I like your name". She came to a local shopping mall and was there talking about the show. I wonder what happens to these folks once their hey-day is over. Do they get jobs in the regular sector? Do people always recognize them?

Ok, so I was in 7th grade and in the US when Luke raped Laura. We went back overseas and I didn't get GH over there. When I came back YEARS later and saw that they were married and an item I just couldn't watch anymore.

And I still remember the song playing when he did it!

Count me in...I was definitely watching in 1981. I was in 9th grade, and would get home just in time for GH at 3pm. I actually started watching in 1978 or so, so I remember Scotty proposing to Laura under the Christmas tree! Such a romantic proposal, and then their marriage ended so quickly. Were they even married 2 years?

And I also remember the music. Every once in awhile, when I hear it on the radio, I will immediately think "That's the rape song!"

And I also remember the music. Every once in awhile, when I hear it on the radio, I will immediately think "That's the rape song!"

Me too. The song is called Rise, by Herb Alpert. And that famous scene took place on the dance floor of the disco that Luke owned or managed (with the light-up floor and flashing disco lights.)

I never knew Luke raped Laura:scared1: maybe I was too young and not watching yet?

My grandma always watched her "stories" all afternoon. We'd groan when we'd get off the school bus and saw her car in our driveway because we knew we couldn't watch our cartoons or whatever show we watched after school.

One of my earliest memories of GH was watching with my Grandma at her house. She hated Laura when she was a teenager. I can't remember exactly what my Grandma said about her, but she did not like her! Must've been cause she was a brat maybe not listening to her parents, and could she have been having sex? That would not of went over well with my Grandma:laughing:.

I started watching regularly in 9th grade, I think '81, and watched all through high school. Can't remember when I stopped? Maybe after the ice princess stuff?? Definitely by college, didn't have time for soaps in college.

A few years ago I rewatched some old episodes on YouTube, it was kinda fun rewatching.

My DH & I were just talking about GH the other night. We both watched (separately, then together) for years. Remember Frisco & Felicia? They were favorites, too!

I loved them on GH. They were both on "When Calls the Heart"
on the Hallmark channel. She still can't act :rolleyes1

I loved them on GH. They were both on "When Calls the Heart"
on the Hallmark channel. She still can't act :rolleyes1

"Not Barbara Jean's heart!" I thought her acting was outstanding in that story line. It made me cry buckets :sad:

Last edited:
I just saw this on fb and remembered this thread from back in the summer... lol

46476191_10156819367296350_4163096359605370880_n.jpg

Loved GH back then! I honestly had forgotten that it started with him being her rapist! Even for back then, its strange that it went over so well. I mean I get the draw to the bad boys but dang!

John Stamos as Blackie was my favorite character!
GH actually started 18 years earlier.

intermittent viewer here, then they completely lost me with the alien story line.

There was a girl...I think her name was Hillary, who was from Georgia and I remember there was a character on the show (either GH or All my Children) named Bob Georgia, and one day she said, "I like your name". She came to a local shopping mall and was there talking about the show. I wonder what happens to these folks once their hey-day is over. Do they get jobs in the regular sector? Do people always recognize them?
Most hopped around from soap shows to other shows. I remember Felicia and Frisco’s daughter got a lot of play time on GH and she left and went to Days of Our Lives. Frisco went to Young and The Restless.

Most soaps were taped in NYC, but I think GH was taped in L.A. I remember when the wedding took place, it was suppose to be in some fictional town in Wisconsin/IL and they showed a beautiful warm Fall day. I remember thinking, wow they got that wrong, it is freezing, cold snowing weather.

Not to nitpick but a couple corrections: Kirsten Storms, the actress who plays Maxie Jones West, got her soap start on Days where she played Belle Black. She came to GH as a recast Maxie.

Luke and Laura’s wedding took place on a beautiful mid November day, but the show is set in Port Charles, New York, way upstate. The show does indeed tape in Hollywood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter