• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who likes the original Soarin'?

Does no one prefer the Soarin' Around the World? Or are they just afraid to speak up and say so :rotfl2:
It's pretty amazing. Even the most innocuous changes usually create strong opinions on both sides. But there doesn't seem to be one person who says they prefer World over California. Though I wonder if it's just the sentiment among the more informed/hardcore fans. I guess wait times this June will tell us whether the general Disney-going public agrees.

Few things seem to have unanimous agreement, but having Soarin' California in DCA and Soarin' World at EPCOT just makes so much sense it's hard to understand why this isn't already the way it is.

Does no one prefer the Soarin' Around the World? Or are they just afraid to speak up and say so :rotfl2:

I like them both equally. I might be the only one. I also don't get overly attached to things like theme park rides, so if something I like goes away, I continue living my life.

It's pretty amazing. Even the most innocuous changes usually create strong opinions on both sides. But there doesn't seem to be one person who says they prefer World over California. Though I wonder if it's just the sentiment among the more informed/hardcore fans. I guess wait times this June will tell us whether the general Disney-going public agrees.

Few things seem to have unanimous agreement, but having Soarin' California in DCA and Soarin' World at EPCOT just makes so much sense it's hard to understand why this isn't already the way it is.

It makes some sense in theory when you look only at the names of the films but it doesn’t when you compare the quality of the actual films. Why should Epcot have to have an inferior film ?

I suspect corporate politics has probably been the reason why DCA has been saddled with that god awful Soaring video. Whoever came up with it probably promoted it as some great money saver or some other corporate mess to get it installed at DCA. I can say without any doubt I do not know anyone who likes it more than Soaring over California. The Soaring video with all its CGI has been nothing but a disappointment for most people I know. Its good to see Disney is finally recognizing that. God Knows it took them long enough...

Hmmm....I guess maybe me and my usual Disney travel buddies are the only ones that prefer Soarin’ Over the World?!?!??! I really didn’t like Soarin’ Over CA much at all. It was a ride I was completely ok with skipping. But, once they released SOTW I loved it! Our whole group did (5 of us)! We always ride it multiple times now. Yes, there are issues with the CGI and bent landmarks, lol, but I guess that doesn’t bother me very much. I’m a CA native and have seen all the locations in SOC so many times in person that I find SOC pretty boring to watch. Sounds like I’m in the minority though!

Hmmm....I guess maybe me and my usual Disney travel buddies are the only ones that prefer Soarin’ Over the World?!?!??! I really didn’t like Soarin’ Over CA much at all. It was a ride I was completely ok with skipping. But, once they released SOTW I loved it! Our whole group did (5 of us)! We always ride it multiple times now. Yes, there are issues with the CGI and bent landmarks, lol, but I guess that doesn’t bother me very much. I’m a CA native and have seen all the locations in SOC so many times in person that I find SOC pretty boring to watch. Sounds like I’m in the minority though!

It does sound like you are in the minority about Soarin'. I loved the ride when it came out and every time we went to DL. Since the World version was installed, I have ridden it twice. The first time I disliked it with a passion and rode it again on another trip to see if it was just a fluke. Nope, dislike it so much so, I haven't ridden it since. Would rather people watch than ride it again. I hope the powers at me keep the CA version in CA. I was born and raised in CA, moved out of state for a job, but go back to CA often to visit family, Mickey and friends.

I don't hate Soarin' Around the World but I just prefer the California version and I'm so excited it will be playing when I'm there next month. I can actually forgive a lot of the CGI stuff, where the World version loses me is that it doesn't feel like it has a lot of focus and is basically a random collection of scenes, instead of a cohesive narrative. I'm torn of them reusing the music; sometimes it feels familiar and other times it feels like a knockoff.

Is there any reason they couldn't show the World on one screen and California on the other screen? Then everyone could choose.

Is there any reason they couldn't show the World on one screen and California on the other screen? Then everyone could choose.
It messes with hourly capacity if one side is more popular than the other.

I don’t mind the concept of Soarin over the World. I just think the movie leaves a lot to be desired as others have mentioned. If they improved the movie (less CGI! Or at least better CGI?) and made the selected destinations things that weren’t so susceptible to looking weird on the curved screen I think it would be more successful.

That said, it is in CALIFORNIA Adventure so Soarin Over CA does fit a little better here.

I think the earlier suggestion of US National Parks themed one is also great.

I’m so curious to see how the original movie looks on the new projectors and glad I’ll get to see it next month! I also agree that this is a test that could most defy be extended if it’s well received.

It messes with hourly capacity if one side is more popular than the other.

I can't imagine that there would be a problem with one side having huge lines while the other sits empty. If there is a big disparity in lines, I would imagine a lot of people would simply choose the short line. I think this happens often on Mickey's Fun Wheel.

Haha I love Soarin over the World. It’s one of my favorite rides at DCA. I never did the California version so I have nothing to compare it to.

This is great news! Add me to the long list of people who prefer the California version. Not just because I'm a native Californian, but because the quality was better, the locations were more natural and beautiful, the music was perfect, and it never got boring. You would think a world version would be even more exciting, but somehow it's just very boring. Part of that for me is that they show too many manmade structures; the appeal of Soarin' was always the natural beauty.

I hadn't really read any reviews of the new version before riding it, and I expected to like the change, but I was SHOCKED by how bad it was. When I saw the warped buildings I thought, wow that's embarassing. And then when I saw the CGI, especially the polar bear looking up at the camera...that was the last straw. I thought, this ride is absolute crap now. I won't waste my time riding it again in its current version.

Of the two films, I prefer California. That said, though, I LOVE the Tahiti and India fragrances in the World version. So much so that I bought the Magic Candle scented candles.

I didn't realize the World version had scents. Maybe they weren't working when I rode? I was looking out (smelling out??) for them when I rode, but detected nothing.

For the record, I like them both. With Digital projection, I don't see why they couldn't swap them out from time to time.
The original isn't digitally projected, it's 70mm 16 perf horizontal pull at 48 FPS film. That's why the original cut so often, they would run out of film in the camera after a few seconds. Simply put: digital doesn't have that sort of resolution. And the film version is expensive to run, since the film wears out very quickly and the projectors are ridiculously expensive. It's AFAIK the only commercial implementation of IMAX HD.

One of the reasons it disappeared the first time was that Kodak stopped making 70mm projection film in sufficient quantity to supply Disney. :)

The original isn't digitally projected, it's 70mm 16 perf horizontal pull at 48 FPS film. That's why the original cut so often, they would run out of film in the camera after a few seconds. Simply put: digital doesn't have that sort of resolution. And the film version is expensive to run, since the film wears out very quickly and the projectors are ridiculously expensive. It's AFAIK the only commercial implementation of IMAX HD.

One of the reasons it disappeared the first time was that Kodak stopped making 70mm projection film in sufficient quantity to supply Disney. :)

They have a digital conversion of the original though. They switched to digital projection before the run of the original version came to an end. This new run will definitely be digitally projected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter