Omoreno

Earning My Ears
Hello! My husband and I are owners and we are planning an extend family trip for fall 2024. I would love to hear your advice on where to stay based on our family situation!

We did a big family trip in 2021 at OKW and loved it, but this trip will be really different because it’ll be our first trip with children.

My mother in law will either book their own room or rent points at whatever resort we’re staying for herself, her son who’s an adult, and her sister who will be accompanying us this trip.

I will be booking either a two bedroom or one bedroom for my husband and I’s family and my brother in laws family. My husband and I are expecting and our son will be about 7 months on the trip. My brother in law would be bringing his wife and their son will be 2 at the time.

What would be a good resort for an extended family trip that would also be accommodating to little ones? I want my mother in law and her sister to have a great time too! We will most likely have a few resort days and spend the afternoons at the resort.

Thank you!

Boardwalk would be ideal if you can pull it off. Maybe you can get a studio and a 1BR.

Then your family could stay cash at Swoplhin, very convenient and often much better priced than Disney resorts.

This is a tough booking, especially in fall, but it's possible. If you can get the studio, the waitlist for the 1BR has a decent chance. You'd have even better odds if you can afford two 1BRs.

Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani perhaps? You get the animals plus the cool splash pad.

Where do you own? Booking in fall can be difficult at some resorts, so you should probably plan to book your home at 11 months and then, if you’d prefer a different one, modify at 7 months. Also, given different villas/views/points costs at different resorts, knowing where you own might help guide suggestions here.

An older 2 year old would love the Kidani splash pad. A newly minted one might not be dexterous or tall enough to take advantage. But that plus animals (fun for all) would make that my #1 pick.

Boardwalk and BLT have the convenience of having parks accessible by foot (no folding strollers) but BW isn’t a great pool for littles, and may be boring to spend that much time at. So I’d suggest AKV-Kidani 1 and Bay Lake Tower 2.

Where do you own? Booking in fall can be difficult at some resorts, so you should probably plan to book your home at 11 months and then, if you’d prefer a different one, modify at 7 months. Also, given different villas/views/points costs at different resorts, knowing where you own might help guide suggestions here.
We own at SSR we will book there, and then we usually switch at 7 months if we want to stay somewhere else.

An older 2 year old would love the Kidani splash pad. A newly minted one might not be dexterous or tall enough to take advantage. But that plus animals (fun for all) would make that my #1 pick.

Boardwalk and BLT have the convenience of having parks accessible by foot (no folding strollers) but BW isn’t a great pool for littles, and may be boring to spend that much time at. So I’d suggest AKV-Kidani 1 and Bay Lake Tower 2.
Boardwalk does have the little slides and splash pool too for little ones. Google map it and click on the Luna Park Crazy Play Area...
I would also vote for Kidani or Jambo for the animals. I would also vote for Bay Lake though for the short distance to be able to come home for an afternoon nap.

I’d recommend AKV Kidani or BLT due to the extra full bath in the 1/2BR. The splash pad and animals give AKV the edge to me due to the 2 year old, but that short walk between BLT and MK needs to be considered too!

With a stroller? It's gotta be BLT, BCV or BWV. You never know if either the kiddo or grandparents need to head back during the middle of the day for whatever reason and you want that to be an option for them to maybe get some rest and then be able to rejoin the family easily. If the family in general is more interested in MK = BLT, if Epcot/HS then BCV or BWV. I imagine BLT and BWV will be easier to get with SSR, you may be able to pull off a 1-2 BR at BLT Lake view or 1BR pool/garden view at BWV.

I’m glad to see that the people who have already replied mentioned the resort I’d recommend, Kidani. The extra bathroom is a bonus if you go the two bedroom route. Great resort for family. The elevator works well and is very fast so if it doesn’t work to have the same floor as to be near the same elevator. Also availability is usually good for booking at 7 months or renting.

How have the busses been for those of you who have taken stroller age children? Kidani would be great but a little worried about the bus system. My sister in law is also interested in SSR which would be the same issue potentially.

How have the busses been for those of you who have taken stroller age children? Kidani would be great but a little worried about the bus system. My sister in law is also interested in SSR which would be the same issue potentially.
Unfortunately, you have to fold the stroller to board the bus. That’s the drawback to Kidani.

We took our group of 10 and stayed at BLT in a theme park view grand villa and a lake view 2 bedroom. We had a 3 year old and a 7 year old with the rest being adults. The proximity to MK is priceless via the walkway. You go through security on the walkway so it's a breeze to enter the park from there. You can either walk back or take the monorail back. Watching the fireworks from the balcony was a special treat! The littles enjoyed the pool at BLT, especially the slide. Getting to Epcot was via monorail, which was easy to do with the stroller. Busses to Studios and Animal Kingdom.

I think your challenge is that if you are looking to switch at 7 months, your MIL won't know where to rent until 7 months, and availability can dry up quickly at that time.

I would not expect availability at a monorail resort or Boardwalk for her at 7 months + hours via rental even if you get that booking.

What with coordination, your best bets are the largest resorts: SSR, OKW and Kidani

That would depend on your family
and what you want to do
How many park days
is everyone going to the park....

SSR would be the easiest to get multiple reservations
Kids may like something else better....
My second thought might be BLT

My wife would say poly but no 1 or 2 bedrooms

What would be a good resort for an extended family trip that would also be accommodating to little ones?

We own at SSR
I just reread this entire thread and wanted to point out that SSR has a lovely splash pad for the 2 year old. And the 1/2BR villas have the nice queen-size Murphy beds in the living rooms. Other than the bus/stroller issue, SSR wouldn't be a bad choice for your family, and you could book at 11 months and know you have it, which allows your mother to book her cash stay there too.

Generally fine. Buses can occasionally be infuriating at any Disney resort, and unless you rent a car, there’s no resort where you won’t have to take the buses at least some (and even if you do rent a car the bus is still typically a faster easier trip to MK because the parking lot is nowhere near the park)

A great answer and I'll have to add the best family resort for any family Disney trip - VGC. But booking at 7 months if you don't own there is no fun....

If you have never experienced the peak Disney magic and the small but awesome bubble that is VGC + Disneyland and DCA you are missing out. Plus like my earlier recommendation Kidani, also has extra bathrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter