which is quicker?

SteveyJC

Mouseketeer
from CDG, should I get the TGV to disneyland and then the RER back one stop to Marne la vallee?

or

Take the RER from CDG into Paris, switch, and get off at Marne la vallee (Where my hotel is obviously)

...oh and which would be cheaper?

I've no idea about the cheaper bit, but I would have thought that the quicker way was the TGV from the airport to DLP and then one stop(?) on the RER to your hotel.

In terms of actual distance, CDG is closer to Marne La Vallee than travelling from CDG to Paris to Marne la Vallee, so the TGV and then RER is probably the fastest.

Thanks for your help guys.

Here is my plan:

Arrive on Easyjet at terminal 3 CDG --> Get to TGV Station (possibly have booked my tickets beforehand) --> Take TGV to Marne-la-vallee (DLP) --> Get off TGV and get onto RER backwards, towards Paris to Bussy Saint Georges.

Is the TGV station near to the RER station at DLP. Has anyone done anything like this before? Is it simple to do?

Thanks, Stevey

I may be COMPLETELY wrong, but I understood that the TGV and RER went in and out of the one station at DLP. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

If you would like to know how to get to the TGV station at the airport, I saved this nugget of information!

"You have to take the airport shuttle bus (free) to terminal 2 (bus number 5)which then runs in a loop and get off at the station. there is a display board on the bus in english and french telling you which stop. (We landed at terminal 3 so to find the bus stop we had to exit the arrivals building and turn right following the pink number 5 sign and walk for about 300 yards so a trolley for your luggage would be a good idea).

As you exit the bus you then go down 3 levels to the TGV station (all well signposted) and either go to the ticket office on your right or to the automatic machines which are also in English and take credit/debit cards, to buy your ticket.

The information board tells you which platform to go to and you have to punch your ticket in the orange machines before you board the train.

The signs on the platform tell you the number of the train and what time it is due. The train arrives bang on time and departs bang on time.

It takes 9 minutes and you get off at the first stop, Marne la Vallee Chessy. When you exit the station the bus terminus is right in front of you. The park hotels have free shuttle buses that take you to the hotels every few minutes."

:)

Bexx said:
I may be COMPLETELY wrong, but I understood that the TGV and RER went in and out of the one station at DLP. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!
You're right. There's one station at Marne-La Vallee for the RER, the TGV, and Eurostar. :flower:

Thanks for the wealth of Info. Bexx - thats great help, it'll stop me going wrong!

I know its 5 months til I go, but i always like to be well prepared!!!

Thanks, Stevey

I know its 5 months til I go, but i always like to be well prepared!!!

Tell me about it!! :teeth: Hope the directions work - let me know how useful they are!

Becky, Like Steve we are going in 4 months. Normally we take the VEA, but that TGV sounds like it might be faster. What does everyone think is easier and faster? We will also be arriving at terminal 3. We have DD2 and DS6 and will be spending first two nights at HI.

How much does it generally cost by TGV? When I looked on the website I thought it seemed quite expensive - maybe I was reading it wrong. I've just had a quote from Grey Shuttle for 88 euros each way. :cool1:

Eileds - for the dates I been looking at, the TGV prices per person seem to be £20 to get there in the morning and £11 to return in the evening - so it depends how many people you have to pay for. How many people in the shuttle was your quote for? And do you need to add on any out of hours supplements?

Nicola - looking at the ages of your children, I would suggest using the VEA. Yes the TGV is faster, if your plane arrives at the right time - and here is the TGV timetable. But if you're arriving at Terminal 3 you will have to take yourselves, the children and doubtless a fair amount of luggage down to the airport shuttle to get to terminal 2 where the TGV station is, then down to the station, onto the train, off the train, up to the buses outside the DLP station and then the bus to your hotel (do they have a bus for the HI?)

With the VEA you wait outside Terminal 3, get on and then get off again at your hotel. While my DDs are still young I'm not going to be using the TGV!!!!

JMHO!!

TGV prices depend on the time of travel and if you have a Saturday night before your return. Be sure to book all tickets at the same time as if you are traveling with a child 11 or under that can sometimes give you discounts for everyone in your party. Round trip will also get you a discount. Of course there are about 800 seats on a TGV. Tickets are checked inside the train and somehow I dont think they can check them all in 10 minutes.... I took the train from CDG to Montpellier via Disney and no one looked at my ticket until well after Disney.

Becky - there are 5 of us, 2 adults & 3 children. We arrive on a Sunday afternoon and need to be back at CDG at 9.30ish on a Thursday morning. Also we are not staying on site this year.

Eileen :cool1:

Eileds - I like this site, which seems to be one of the less complicated ones for booking the TGV!! But I don't know how to find out the child fares that MorganB just mentioned. :confused3

eileds, I'm not Becky :) but I have lots of experience booking french trains. There are 1:45, 2pm, 3:42 and 4 pm trains on sunday afternoon. For all 5 of you that would cost 87.70 euros. The return on Thursday morning there is a 9:16 am that gets you to CDG at 9:26 am for 56.80. So a grand total of 144.50 euros round trip for 5 people.

Becky, Thanks for the advice. I think you are right I would be better waiting until kids are older and sticking with VEA at moment. I was thinking that myself anyway so you just confirmed it for me. :sunny:

Bexx said:
I don't know how to find out the child fares that MorganB just mentioned. :confused3

The best place to book is on the French national rail site: http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ . Look for the british flag at the bottom left hand corner of the homepage for English. You might want to use the advance search feature as it allows you to chose your departure and destination from a pop up list by clicking "or choose here" which is right under where you enter the text. Departure is Airport CDG 2 TGV, arrival is Marne La Vallee Chessy SNCF.

Thanks for all your help. Becky like you said there doesn't seem to be a facility to book child price tickets on the rail europe site.

Morgan B I checked our dates and have just got a quote for 103.40 euros return. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter