• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which deluxe is 'best bet' for a balcony

we are looking at a multi generational trip. Last time we lucked out with a gorgeous (and I mean gorgeous!) third floor room/balcony at poly overlooking oasis pool. Now my parents are in love with the balcony and really want one should they come along again. They spend more time at the resort and love having the private outdoor space. So out of curiousity, if we were to make a balcony our priority, which resort would we have the best chance at getting one at?
IMO my favorite balcony would be the one at BWV overlooking the Boardwalk. In the morning it is pretty peaceful while enjoying a cup of coffee and in the evening in is pretty interesting watching the events on the Boardwalk.

AKL has never taken me 25-40 minutes on the bus to MK and we have been there on July 4.... If there is an accident or some reason there is a lot of traffic yes it can happen but that would be the same for almost any bus you are on..... MK is about 20 minutes I have times it many times always falls in the 17-21 minute range... Epcot and Hollywood studios are closer and usually 10 minutes and under... AK well lest say do not bother sitting down... There truly is no resort on property that has faster or slower bus/boat/monorail/walking time.. they all even out in the end.
The Balconies out if all the resorts AKL has the second normal largest it is very nice balcony to sit out on and enjoy the view--with the exception of the unlucky standard views that look over the roads/parking lots. No one has mentioned this but Old Key West by far has the largest Balconies and some of the best relaxing views. other resorts have balconies that overlook Mk,Epcot, Boardwalk etc. if you pay... while I enjoy those views as well lets just say there are people walking by that come with them...
if it were my choice stick with AKL or OKW -- if you choose OKW look at the map and request a specific building I will say there are some Hospitality house Category views that are MEHHH but also one that overlook a golf coarse and nice lake... as you go back farther in the resort they have amazing river views and trust my your parents will love the boat ride to Disney springs....AKL (Jambo house) well if you get a Savannah view they will have animals to look at part of the day but also that resort has a lot of other areas that are very un crowded if they take the time to look....... or research.. Kidani is also nice but has far less areas in the resort to relax both have an amazing pool area but Kidani has a lot of nice places to sit in the paths within the pool area. Either side offers a lot for them to do during the day.

If my top priority was a balcony I would choose AKL Savannah View every time. This is a fabulous resort with stunning views of grazing animals and birds flying. Best place to just sit a live in a world far away.

If I wanted a balcony with some activities to keep me entertained, I would choose the Grand Floridain. The views are lovely, but the lobby is a welcoming retreat where you can relax in an easy chair and watch Brides and wedding parties, listen to music, and stroll around the shops. There is a large balcony on the second floor that is quiet and restful.

If I wanted the chance to wander around, and have street entertainment in the evening as well as a balcony, I would choose the Yacht Club or BWI.

I would recommend BWI overlooking the water. You have a really nice view over the water and to the YC and BC. You can probably also see some of the EP fireworks. In addition to the nice view during the day, you also get a nice view at night because the Boardwalk area is lit up. I love the Boardwalk area even more at night because of the lighting that they do there. It's not like it's flooded with big huge lights, rather it's more like a carnival atmosphere at night with smaller strings of lights all around. IMO, it's quite magical at night.

Have a great trip! :)

Most of the top floor rooms at WL and GF have enclosed balconies. The front of the balconies are solid and you have to stand up to get a good view. I can't remember if some of the other resorts have the same situation.

Any of the deluxe other than BC have balconies, just ask to be above the first floor. BC has some rooms with a regular balcony and some with the Juliet balcony so you aren't guaranteed there. I love YC personally, but that is just because we are Epcot/HS people and being able to walk is perfect. I like BW o.k. but just like the look and feel of YC better.

If my top priority was a balcony I would choose AKL Savannah View every time. This is a fabulous resort with stunning views of grazing animals and birds flying. Best place to just sit a live in a world far away.

If I wanted a balcony with some activities to keep me entertained, I would choose the Grand Floridain. The views are lovely, but the lobby is a welcoming retreat where you can relax in an easy chair and watch Brides and wedding parties, listen to music, and stroll around the shops. There is a large balcony on the second floor that is quiet and restful.

If I wanted the chance to wander around, and have street entertainment in the evening as well as a balcony, I would choose the Yacht Club or BWI.
AKL is just stunning. The Arusha Overlook is lovely (we got there one morning as they were feeding the animals - they were so close!) and we spent a lot of time on our balcony looking out at the animals. The lobby is amazing, and there are great restaurants! It is just so unique... I would stay there every time if I could!

we are looking at a multi generational trip. Last time we lucked out with a gorgeous (and I mean gorgeous!) third floor room/balcony at poly overlooking oasis pool. Now my parents are in love with the balcony and really want one should they come along again. They spend more time at the resort and love having the private outdoor space. So out of curiousity, if we were to make a balcony our priority, which resort would we have the best chance at getting one at?

I haven't read all the replies, and I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I believe every room at the Grand Floridian has a balcony if you're not on the first floor. Top floors have dormer balconies, which are more closed off. First floor rooms have patios.

My favorite balcony was when we stayed at Kidani (rented DVC points). our balcony was HUGE and had a great view of the savannah. My second favorite is the Contemporary Theme Park view, but it was a little small for our family of 5 to sit out there for the MK fireworks.

Most of the top floor rooms at WL and GF have enclosed balconies. The front of the balconies are solid and you have to stand up to get a good view. I can't remember if some of the other resorts have the same situation.

The top (7th) floor of WL is CL. About 1/3 of the rooms on the 6th floor have the enclosed balcony. The rest of the resort has open balconies.

If you really want a balcony, YC, WL, AKL, BWI, GF and CR (Tower rooms) are all safe bets. It's really only Poly and BC where you run into balcony issues.

But you have to be careful if you book a standard view at some of these. We have had wonderful savanna views with a standard room at AKL, and we have had a balcony that was dark and nearly entirely blocked by a wall (the standard views on the 4th floor tend to have blocked views of the roof). We could see the animals. If we stood on a table and stretched our necks far enough. ;) If they like pool views, the pool view rooms at AKL don't cost lot more than the standard view rooms.

We had a beautiful standard view at BWI- looked right over the lake and we could see the MK fireworks- but the balcony was tiny and, though it may sound crazy, felt like it leaned down a bit. Some of the other resort standard views are very good and some are blocked and have views of roofs. Might be worth upgrading to a better than standard view if someone wants to spend a lot of time on the balcony.

I've stayed at Yacht Club twice and booked "standard view". First room was 2nd floor with the balcony directly over the dumpster. Second room was third floor ridiculously close to the bus stop, and the balcony was shared with two other rooms. So I'm done with Yacht Club unless I see a good price for a different view.

I did a one-night splurge on a water-view Grand Floridian and its balcony was great.

Loved my courtyard view balcony at Wilderness Lodge.

I'm pretty sure I got the worst savannah view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge (jambo house). I don't think there are any rooms further from the bus stop, and I was on the short side of the building, so I had a narrow view of the savannah. I got plenty of animals, but when the animals weren't there I found the scenery uninspiring.

I haven't been in one (yet...I just booked one for september) but all the rooms in the tower of the contemporary have balconies. Theme Park view or bay lake view both seem good.

My fav is GF. Some resorts nickel & dime you if you look out at a puddle. Standard views at GF (and Poly) include pool or marina views. We always get a Courtyard pool view room and from balcony of last room we could see the higher Wishes. Bonus!
It's a small resort, large rooms, beautiful grounds, nice lobby to hang out in and listen to piano player or quartet, nice shops. Monorail or boat connects you to all the MK resorts. And in the evening you can watch the Electric Water Parade and MK fireworks from resort.

I have stayed at both AKL and GF. If you want to people watch, GF. If you just want to relax or animals are interesting, AKL. GF would probably feel most similar to the Poly in terms of atmosphere and having easy access to outdoors from your building.

If Epcot is a priority, I'd choose YC. Quiet, relaxing hotel, close to two parks, and...balconies! We stayed there four years ago and had a gorgeous garden view room, and I could see Epcot's fireworks from my balcony at night :) .

If MK is a priority, then I'd try GF or CR on the monorail loop. Large rooms, lovely views, and balconies!

Good luck with your choice. We're staying at GF this August, and I can't wait.

IMO my favorite balcony would be the one at BWV overlooking the Boardwalk. In the morning it is pretty peaceful while enjoying a cup of coffee and in the evening in is pretty interesting watching the events on the Boardwalk.

Yes! Those rooms are an absolutely delight! Staying in a 1BR this coming October and for me it's the highlight of our trips.

I would have to say BWV boardwalk views are among the best balcony views in WDW. We also had nice standard (5th floor or higher) view rooms at WL last year. A view of CR, MK and also the nightly fireworks. I also have never gone wrong with an OKW water view either.

WL

15326514_1349023331775870_8249805760669956821_n.jpg

BWV

15390657_1355707417774128_4136828304150028693_n.jpg
15317926_1355707307774139_6758775119503199289_n.jpg

Last edited:
I also like to have my coffee on my balcony. We have had balconies at the POLY (garden-view and lagoon-view) and Contemporary (lake-view) and are the best IMO. BW, WL and AKL balconies are on the small side.

Not all longhouses/floors at the POLY have balconies and I would be sure and BOOK savannah-view at AKL, ours had a view of red-rooftops.:sad2:

Just to chime in...We had several nights that our ride back on the bus to AKL from MK was 45 minutes. Not fun after a long, hot day.

WL - Courtyard-view (balcony exposed to everyone) Contemporary - Lake-view 4610 POLY - Fiji - 3303
942501_797492120266403_2026894490_n.jpg
12974322_1304093686272908_2930260994520042279_n.jpg
10384128_990246220990991_9048077286609681558_n (1).jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter