• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where is everyone heading in 2010?

Given the economy and the "staycations" going on, I can't say I'd be surprised nor would I blame the Disney travel folks for looking at cost reductions. The ABD trips are really first rate, and speaking for myself and family we have been on pins and needles to see what new adventures were to be announced--if any--and worry about cuts that have an impact on the "magic" of these trips (one of the main reasons we are willing to pay a premium price for the trips). The suggestions of things to come provided by DisneyGuy aren't surprising, but do deflate our excitement somewhat (and from the tone of the other responses, the same is true for others in this board). We could live with some changes, certainly--transport cost, one less provided meal or whatever. The guides make all the difference--and the small and unique parts of the trip that make you feel like you got to know the area/people better than if you had tried it on your own or with another company. I am still hopeful for new places/new adventures--but the same magic please!

I will wait and see what the ''official" information is before I go and get all upeset about something. If Disneyguy had been around for a long time on this board and had provided valid info. in the past, then perhaps I might be willing to believe him...someone who obviously just signed up to post this "supposed info" is not anyone whom I"m willing to pay any attention to.

JMHO, but ABD would be making a big mistake by eliminating the "extras" that we've come to associate with these trips...I do think they may offer 2 tiers of service, similar to what they offer now and the Gateway tour in London, but believe me, there are plenty of people still able and willing to pay top dollar for the ABD experience as it stands now.

I wonder what, if any, effect will come from feedback from this year's trips. I know I commented on my survey that our trip felt like the victim of cut backs already, and that it would influence my choices next year. otoh, I'm sure they've been planning the 2010 trips long before getting feedback from this season.

We consider our vacations an investment in our family, as I'm sure many others on these boards do as well. I'm happy to pay a premium to get a quality experience with no stress for our family. But if ABD cuts back on what makes these trips so painless, then there are plenty of other companies who will be happy to take our vacation $. I'd far rather pay more upfront than nickel and dime myself to death on the trip itself, worrying about transfers, tips, etc.

We'll just have to wait and see. It's only a few more weeks. Less time than I have to wait to be in my "discount window" for the new iphone :laughing:

I will wait and see what the ''official" information is before I go and get all upeset about something. If Disneyguy had been around for a long time on this board and had provided valid info. in the past, then perhaps I might be willing to believe him...someone who obviously just signed up to post this "supposed info" is not anyone whom I"m willing to pay any attention to.

JMHO, but ABD would be making a big mistake by eliminating the "extras" that we've come to associate with these trips...I do think they may offer 2 tiers of service, similar to what they offer now and the Gateway tour in London, but believe me, there are plenty of people still able and willing to pay top dollar for the ABD experience as it stands now.
I like the way you think, KJD. On both points! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

I totally agree and while I could deal with hotel changes, I would not go on a trip especially outside the US if there were no airport transfers. Some of the trips the airport is quite a distance from the hotel, and in a foreign country where I don't speak the language I don't want to have to deal with that .

I totally agree and while I could deal with hotel changes, I would not go on a trip especially outside the US if there were no airport transfers. Some of the trips the airport is quite a distance from the hotel, and in a foreign country where I don't speak the language I don't want to have to deal with that .

I couldn't agree with Tozzie more. I can easily live with less expensive hotel or food, but if I have to be responsible for transporting my family through a strange place, especially if I don't speak the language, then I guess I'll just stay at home. I sure hope that information is incorrect.

I agree with the others! I am spending way too much for a pre-day in Alaska just so I can have the transfer from the airport! I'm arriving in the wee hours of the morning, and don't even want to THINK about getting myself and my luggage to a hotel in a strange city by myself at that hour. I want someone to pick me up, and deposit me at my hotel, where everything has already been taken care of for me! Totally worth it to me!

Sayhello

I think part of the problem with ABD and cancellations is the amount of dates they offer. If I pick a date I am stuck with it due to work, however I can be fairly flexible when I am deciding and booking the trip. I think it would work better if they cut the number of trips for any given itinerary maybe by half. That would help, IMO, the cancellations and quite possibly fill each trip. I know the maximum capacity is 40 my trip had 19 they had a few others that were 18 or 19 on my itinerary, if they had less dates they could fill the trips and not cut the services, at least in my opinion.

I think part of the problem with ABD and cancellations is the amount of dates they offer. If I pick a date I am stuck with it due to work, however I can be fairly flexible when I am deciding and booking the trip. I think it would work better if they cut the number of trips for any given itinerary maybe by half. That would help, IMO, the cancellations and quite possibly fill each trip. I know the maximum capacity is 40 my trip had 19 they had a few others that were 18 or 19 on my itinerary, if they had less dates they could fill the trips and not cut the services, at least in my opinion.
I think you are right. They should offer a basic set of departures, and then *ADD* more dates if necessary. That way the trips people sign up for will go, because they wouldn't add extra dates unless needed. I guess the question would be, at what point do they need to have the guides hired, and the hotels and activities booked?

Sayhello

I think you are right. They should offer a basic set of departures, and then *ADD* more dates if necessary. That way the trips people sign up for will go, because they wouldn't add extra dates unless needed. I guess the question would be, at what point do they need to have the guides hired, and the hotels and activities booked?

Sayhello

I don't know about the hotels and activities, but the guides that were on my tour have other jobs with disney. One of them only does the Backstage Magic but the other was getting ready to do a Spirit of America and then later this summer a Quest for the west. I don't know how many other guides have other jobs either with disney or in another company.

I would vote for not adding any trips, just the schedule they originate with in August. I think the amenities would suffer if they tried to add trips later and I remember reading about a few trips that they actually had to call the hotels to see if they could book additional rooms even though the trips were not full at that point. It is a bit difficult when Disney Doesn't own the hotel :rolleyes1

I don't know about the hotels and activities, but the guides that were on my tour have other jobs with disney. One of them only does the Backstage Magic but the other was getting ready to do a Spirit of America and then later this summer a Quest for the west. I don't know how many other guides have other jobs either with disney or in another company.

I would vote for not adding any trips, just the schedule they originate with in August. I think the amenities would suffer if they tried to add trips later and I remember reading about a few trips that they actually had to call the hotels to see if they could book additional rooms even though the trips were not full at that point. It is a bit difficult when Disney Doesn't own the hotel :rolleyes1
I wonder what the proportion is of Disney employees to "contract" guides (all Disney trained, of course!) On my Southwest Splendors, Cheryl works at Disneyland, doing VIP Tours for Guest Services, and just comes and goes as ABD needs her. But Chris has done guiding for lots of different companies, and I would think that if ABD did not book him for a chunk of the summer, he'd fill in with other trips. I can't imagine they pay him for his "down time".

I'm not sure about how I feel about the "no trips added". They'd have to be crazy to *turn down* people who wanted to sign up for trips, but they were all sold out?

Sayhello

I guess my 2010 trip has changed from LONDON PARIS to ITALY...which I am extremely excited about!

Since ABD didn't add Japan, we will still be going there, only with Tauck instead. Maybe in 2011 we will pick an ABD destination, but we had our hearts set on Japan for 2010.

Nikisha421, Italy is absolutely beautiful! We went there with Tauck in 2004 and would love to go back, perhaps with ABD this time. Have a wonderful time!

I have not decided on 2010 yet. I am now a DVC member and will be using my resort lot more . Going down this november and will more like go next summer to.

Dont get me wrong, i loved my past ABD adventures Viva Italia and last summers Austria/czech republic. This summer in September it is ABD with the Germany Adventure. My 3rd trip with ABD.:goodvibes

BriarRose--We did Japan with Tauck. Had a great time; if you're going in the summer, be prepared for HOT. Happy to answer questions.

BriarRose--We did Japan with Tauck. Had a great time; if you're going in the summer, be prepared for HOT. Happy to answer questions.

Thanks! I may take you up on that later. We were at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea in June this year. We didn't go outside of the park area though. The heat wasn't too bad for us, but we are from Texas so it has to be really hot before we really notice it. We are planning our trip in May to try to combat some of the heat and crowds.

Since ABD didn't add Japan, we will still be going there, only with Tauck instead. Maybe in 2011 we will pick an ABD destination, but we had our hearts set on Japan for 2010.

Nikisha421, Italy is absolutely beautiful! We went there with Tauck in 2004 and would love to go back, perhaps with ABD this time. Have a wonderful time!
thank you we will try!
I have not decided on 2010 yet. I am now a DVC member and will be using my resort lot more . Going down this november and will more like go next summer to.

Dont get me wrong, i loved my past ABD adventures Viva Italia and last summers Austria/czech republic. This summer in September it is ABD with the Germany Adventure. My 3rd trip with ABD.:goodvibes

Congrats on becoming a DVC memberparty:

We're planning on going to Italy in May 2010. I've been reading threads on this trip for a few months now and even though it seems people are upset about ABD, it still sounds like it's a great value even without the EBD. I would have preferred to save a few hundred dollars per person, but looking at the big picture, I trust that Disney will provide a great adventure and even if it is a bit more expensive as some say (although I haven't seen it), the extra cost is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter