Where are we, Jersey? Bye, Phoenicians! An August 2017 TR * NEW DINING/TR LINKS*

Tell Ricky good luck I'm sure he'll do great and so will his Mom :hug:
Thanks! We both survived lol, although last night Ricky was nursing a severely sprained muscle over by his rib and could barely move. Still played really well today!

Love your pictures from Narcoossee so pretty. I like your dress ::yes::
Thanks again :hug: After his game today we were talking with a family who own DVC at the GF, lucky! I'd love to stay there someday and after today, I'm wanting to make it sooner rather than later!

You're in good company, Ariane. That would be me, too! Except that I don't have the occasion to watch football at all :laughing:
Um, you're lucky :rotfl2: Today I was annoying my mom because Steve wouldn't stand by me. She was a bit more patient with me but not much! So whenever Ricky wasn't in I just went on my phone..............

Gorgeous!!! :goodvibes
:thanks:

I need to remember to do this, too! It's not something I've been used to including in the past because I never really made much use of our PP, but with my AP, I went a bit crazy this trip :rotfl:
I saw in your last update that you remembered to do it :thumbsup2

I'm already a few updates behind, but I'm here! I'll be back soon!
Yay, thanks for stopping by! I know you're always busy but between just getting back from your trip :D and going back to work I assume, you must be super busy! And I hope your trip was magical!

Yay can't wait to hear about WL CL.
Coming up soon!

Thanks for sharing another trip report with us.
You're very welcome :) It's fun to do, so as long as people keep reading I'll keep sharing!

As the father of a 13 year-old girl, I can definitely relate to the picture of your boys in the airport on their phones.
::yes:: On the one hand it keeps the complaining down, on the other it's so annoying when you actually WANT to talk to them and they don't pay attention :headache:

Let me know if you need some schooling. My brother had no interest in football growing up so my father felt the need to impart all his wisdom on your truly. Hope all goes well for Ricky today!!!!
He did well after a potential serious injury yesterday at practice turned out to be ok! We lost though :( If you could maybe just get them to sell beer at the high school concession stands that'll help me out lots :thumbsup2 :drinking1 Or your beloved Bloody Mary's since they games start at 9:30 am :tiptoe:

Thanks! We both survived lol, although last night Ricky was nursing a severely sprained muscle over by his rib and could barely move. Still played really well today!

Thanks again :hug: After his game today we were talking with a family who own DVC at the GF, lucky! I'd love to stay there someday and after today, I'm wanting to make it sooner rather than later!

I'm glad Ricky was able to play today. Hope he's feeling better.
I'm with you I would love to stay there one day.

If you could maybe just get them to sell beer at the high school concession stands that'll help me out lots :thumbsup2 :drinking1 Or your beloved Bloody Mary's since they games start at 9:30 am
That is what those thermal mugs are for...

Glad he wasn't too hurt! Football is def more dangerous!

It's Gotta Be 10:00 Somewhere.............

Happy almost Labor Day! Hope you're all having a good weekend and for any of you in the northeast, enjoying the last couple days of summer before the kids go back to school. Mine start Wednesday :cheer2: That means I get to add PTA duties back on to my list of s**t to do! And for all of you that asked about Ricky's first football game, thank you. They lost but Ricky played really well for a first-timer, considering Friday night we were at the walk-in for what I thought might be a cracked rib from practice. Not fun for either of us! It was just a severely pulled muscle and he was still in lots of pain Sat. morning before the game, couldn't stand up straight (it was over by his ribs on the right side) but played through the pain like he usually does. We were very proud of him!

But, I can't wait for basketball season :D
We all slept well after our Narcoossee's dinner and BW entertainment: but if the boys thought we were up kind of early yesterday for our first park day, they were in for a surprise today! We don't usually do morning EMH, but since we were doing the whole mid-day break thing I wanted to get as much morning park time in as I could. AK was opening at 8am for EMH and I was determined to be there! On top of that we had to bring our bags to bell services as we were checking out of YC and into what quickly became my favorite resort after our first stay there last August, the WL.

Let me pause for a minute and talk about YC. Steve's resorts of choice are the Epcot resorts and I do enjoy being in the area. My goal like many of you is to try every resort, so I'm glad we stayed at Yacht Club and it certainly wasn't bad. The room was nice but I prefer carpeting. I also prefer my room not to be at the end of the earth, but that's a chance you take at the bigger resorts and this wasn't the first time we were far away from civilization at a Disney resort! It just kind of takes a little wind out of your sails when that's your location. The new(ish) Marketplace there had quite a large selection of hot items in the grab and go section and tons of snacks so it's a nice addition. Steve did feel it was "stuffier" than BC and BW which I've heard before; I didn't feel it was stuffy but BC definitely to me has a more fun, relaxed vibe. WL still beats it for me though!

I shocked myself by getting us down to the lobby at 7:10 and out to the buses by 7:17. We were rewarded by getting to ride on the cool bus to AK but unfortunately it didn't come until 7:35:

IMG_6542.JPG

We got a seat no problem but then we went to Beach Club and about 75 people got on there. Very happy we were the first stop! We didn't get to AK until 8:03 but it was still fine, as we approached the entrance people were just being let through the tapstiles. Ricky and I separated from Steve and Chris as we were on a mission and they wanted to meander slowly through the park before getting to where we were going:

IMG_6548.JPG

We wanted to get a couple rides in SB before crowds hit and we had absolutely nothing to worry about. I wish I'd taken pictures because it was actually hysterical: once you got to the Tree of Life, the two of us and about 8 other people went right - and 7000 people went left to Pandora :rotfl: I wasn't surprised really, just used to more people going to EE first thing!
We walked on, escaped the Yeti, and Ricky was game to try his luck again but rode with Steve this time while Chris and I waited it out and watched them come whooshing down the hill but still come out smiling:

IMG_6550.JPG

Well one was smiling, the other had his tough-guy-teenager look on which you'll see is a recurring theme here. Our first FP wasn't up until 9:15 so we went over to do the safari SB at 8:45, something that I don't think used to happen before Pandora.
It wouldn't be an AK update without safari pics!

IMG_6551.JPG

Sleepy kitty :cat:

IMG_6556.JPG

When we were done the boys were more than ready for food. I may have been too but I'll pretend it was just the kids. When in Africa, you stop at Kusifiri Bakery! All there sweet stuff is so good; we sat on the wall and listened to Burudika play while we ate. Chris got something I've never seen there before, it's a huge cinnamon bun shaped like Mickey:

IMG_6561.JPG

He insisted on eating the ear while I fumbled with my phone getting ready to take the picture. He didn't finish it, this thing is HUGE.

After we ate it was time to go use our first FP which was for Na'vi River Journey. I wrote in my PTR that while I tried to get one for FOP on this day, nothing was available so I got that for later in the week and picked Na'vi for today. Steve and I had ridden both at the AP preview in May, but now the boys would be seeing Pandora for the first time.

We left Africa and walked over the bridge and past Starbucks. As we approached Island Mercantile we saw a line and realized it was for Flights of Passage :scared1: ALL the way out there, and the CM holding the sign letting people know where the end of the line was kept yelling, "the wait time from this point is approx. 3.5 hours!" This was at 9:30 in the morning people, holy crap I wish I had pictures! I was so glad we had that FP for later in the week!

On our way in, the drum show, or A drum show, was happening. During the preview we saw the setup but nothing was going on, so we all stopped to watch and listen:

IMG_6569.JPG

In this one they had guests watching the show "play" the drums:

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6567.JPG

It was cute but I'm not sure what the point was, possibly because we didn't see the beginning?

AK morning continued in next post!

Attachments

• IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6570.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 9
We wanted to get a couple rides in SB before crowds hit and we had absolutely nothing to worry about. I wish I'd taken pictures because it was actually hysterical: once you got to the Tree of Life, the two of us and about 8 other people went right - and 7000 people went left to Pandora :rotfl: I wasn't surprised really, just used to more people going to EE first thing!

So funny. We were part of the 7000 that went left while we were there :rotfl2: DH was able to get near the front though, leading the 7000

a huge cinnamon bun shaped like Mickey:

This looks really good!!

AK morning con't

This picture limit per post is seriously getting annoying. After the drum show we went to use our NRJ FP:

IMG_6572.JPG

Neither of the boys have watched Avatar yet so they really had no idea what they were seeing, and since it's an extremely tame ride they weren't all that impressed. And other than how beautiful the details are, neither were Steve and I. I don't have any desire to ride this again in the near future, although I do think since they could only manage 2 rides in Pandora it's good that one is a non-thrill ride.
We walked around a bit more, showing the boys the floating mountains and taking a look in the gift shop. It was only about 10:00 but of course the heat and humidity were going full force and we were thirsty. The boys noticed the Night Blossom on the Pongu Pongu sign and wanted to try it. They don't have soda which is what I like to drink, so naturally I had to go with the only other option on their menu that looked good to me, the Mo'ara Margarita:

IMG_6573.JPG

Hey, it was 10:00! Consider it my Bloody Mary or Mimosa of the day.
Steve liked the Night Blossom. The boys did too but also thought it was quite sweet. It's supposed to be pear and apple flavors, and when I tasted it the apple really came through. I preferred my margarita. When I had this in May the boba balls didn't bother me but this time they kept getting stuck in the bottom of my straw and I couldn't suck them through :rolleyes1 Next time I may just ask for mine sans balls.............

We were within the window of our 2nd FP which was made at Chris's request, so we headed back to Asia to ride Kali River Rapids. Normally I don't like getting soaked but today we were ALL hoping for those couple of seats on the ride that get you drenched - of course we all stayed fairly dry lol. We had a FP for the safari at 11:35 but everyone was losing steam, so we tried to see the 11:00 FOTLK show but by the time we got there at 10:50 they were full. I couldn't convince anyone to hang in the heat for that safari FP since we'd already ridden, so I switched one of our Thursday AK FP's to FOTLK, made a 4:30 FP for that day for Soarin', and we headed to the buses to go check in at WL CLUB LEVEL !!!

I'll save that for the next post, but since this continuation is kind of lame and I do have space for more pictures, here are some PP pics from that morning that I forgot about when doing the first part of this post..........

Ricky and Steve's RD ride on EE. Ricky looks like he's asleep lol

ee.jpg

And going backwards, these were taken before we entered the park:

enteringAK2.jpg

tongues2.jpg

UP NEXT: WE'RE MOVIN' ON UP!

Attachments

• IMG_6577.JPG
    IMG_6577.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

I'm glad Ricky was able to play today. Hope he's feeling better.
Thanks! He's much better today, we had family and friends over for a BBQ and he was playing basketball and throwing the football with no pain :thumbsup2 Back to practice tomorrow!

Oh, no - Steve won't even stand by you now?! :eek:
lol nope! And today at our BBQ my mom was complaining to everyone that I was really annoying yesterday standing by her, because I asked too many questions and couldn't understand anything :rolleyes: Thanks mommy!

That is what those thermal mugs are for...
So funny because about a hour ago my friend texted and asked how Ricky's game was. I said I really wished they sold alcohol at the concession stand and she said I need to get a flask with Mickey on it ::MickeyMo:smickey:

Let me pause for a minute and talk about YC. Steve's resorts of choice are the Epcot resorts and I do enjoy being in the area. My goal like many of you is to try every resort, so I'm glad we stayed at Yacht Club and it certainly wasn't bad. The room was nice but I prefer carpeting. I also prefer my room not to be at the end of the earth, but that's a chance you take at the bigger resorts and this wasn't the first time we were far away from civilization at a Disney resort! It just kind of takes a little wind out of your sails when that's your location. The new(ish) Marketplace there had quite a large selection of hot items in the grab and go section and tons of snacks so it's a nice addition. Steve did feel it was "stuffier" than BC and BW which I've heard before; I didn't feel it was stuffy but BC definitely to me has a more fun, relaxed vibe. WL still beats it for me though!
We haven't done Yacht or Beach, but did do BW one time and had a similar room situation. It's great to be so close to 2 parks (especially when F&W is going on :drinking1), but I like you will pick WL any day of the week. Love the compactness of the resort, it never feels crowded, and most importantly you can feel a million miles from anywhere while being right in the middle of everything! Can't wait to see how you all liked CL.

img_6548-jpg.266626

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I'm sure that was a sight to behold. Everyone must have been wondering where you were going.

img_6561-jpg.266635

He insisted on eating the ear while I fumbled with my phone getting ready to take the picture. He didn't finish it, this thing is HUGE.
Um yum!!!!! I'd heard they changed the cinnamon roll here, but I had no idea it looked this dang good. Must have this on our trip!

img_6572-jpg.266853

Neither of the boys have watched Avatar yet so they really had no idea what they were seeing, and since it's an extremely tame ride they weren't all that impressed. And other than how beautiful the details are, neither were Steve and I. I don't have any desire to ride this again in the near future, although I do think since they could only manage 2 rides in Pandora it's good that one is a non-thrill ride.
I think we are going to be in the same camp, but made a FP this morning nonetheless. It seems like its in the category of the Frozen ride to me. Sure its pretty and the animatronics cool, but at least give me a couple of thrills. Oh well, looking forward to checking out Pandora regardless.

img_6573-jpg.266854

Hey, it was 10:00! Consider it my Bloody Mary or Mimosa of the day.
That's my girl. #SoProud :drinking1

enteringak2-jpg.266887
What a great picture of you all. Even the boys are smiling :-)

I also prefer my room not to be at the end of the earth, but that's a chance you take at the bigger resorts and this wasn't the first time we were far away from civilization at a Disney resort!

Yeah this is so true. We were talking about that actually when we saw POR on our trip, how big it is and how potentially far you could be from the restaurants and transportation etc. I loved POFQ for that reason too, that it was small in comparison.

"the wait time from this point is approx. 3.5 hours!" This was at 9:30 in the morning people, holy crap I wish I had pictures! I was so glad we had that FP for later in the week!

That's just nuts. In that heat I don't know how anyone could willingly join that line. I mean, your whole morning would be gone when that was over.

I don't have any desire to ride this again in the near future, although I do think since they could only manage 2 rides in Pandora it's good that one is a non-thrill ride.

Well you know how I feel about that lol. Navi is about my speed lol. but I can see how it might not be that exciting to many.

Next time I may just ask for mine sans balls.............

Ha!!! Yeah I get that lol

Chris got something I've never seen there before, it's a huge cinnamon bun shaped like Mickey:

img_6561-jpg.266635

I saw this in the Disney Food Blog and totally thought that we needed to get this for the girls. I mean it's MICKEY shaped!

ALL the way out there, and the CM holding the sign letting people know where the end of the line was kept yelling, "the wait time from this point is approx. 3.5 hours!" This was at 9:30 in the morning people, holy crap I wish I had pictures! I was so glad we had that FP for later in the week!
Yikes! So, glad we have FP for this on our trip. Wonder how bad the lines will be in September.

The boys did too but also thought it was quite sweet. It's supposed to be pear and apple flavors, and when I tasted it the apple really came through.
I am sure my girls will love this!

I preferred my margarita.
And I am also pretty sure this is what I will love! Ha.

Ricky looks like he's asleep lol

ee-jpg.266877
He really is taking the too cool teenager thing to heart!

Cute! I love it. Reminds you that sometimes they aren't always "too cool"

This is my favorite!!

I'm glad Ricky ended up not having a break and just the pulled muscle!! I mean neither is good, but you know what I mean!

Oh my gosh those Epcot resort hallways strike again. I would like to meet that architect and have a little conversation!

I love early mornings at AK! Safari and Everest are the highlights for me, so you had a great start to the morning. We've had the big cinnamon roll from Kusafiri but I can't remember if it was Mickey shaped or not. It was a few years ago. I remember it being really good, but the kids were eating it and I had a burrito thing that made me sick. I'd have much rather had the cinnamon roll!

It was just a severely pulled muscle and he was still in lots of pain Sat. morning before the game, couldn't stand up straight (it was over by his ribs on the right side)
I did this last summer golfing and it was the most painful thing ever. I ended up with bronchitis because of it. I hope he feels better!

When in Africa, you stop at Kusifiri Bakery! All there sweet stuff is so good; we sat on the wall and listened to Burudika play while we ate. Chris got something I've never seen there before, it's a huge cinnamon bun shaped like Mickey:
Where is this bakery located? I feel like a lot of AK's food places are kind of hidden.

As we approached Island Mercantile we saw a line and realized it was for Flights of Passage :scared1: ALL the way out there, and the CM holding the sign letting people know where the end of the line was kept yelling, "the wait time from this point is approx. 3.5 hours!" This was at 9:30 in the morning people, holy crap I wish I had pictures! I was so glad we had that FP for later in the week!
I don't care how good a ride is, I don't think anything is worth waiting that long for.

Happy Labor Day I'm glad Ricky is feeling better. I'm really looking forward to our BC stay over Thanksgiving. I'm glad their rooms still have carpeting.
That's great you got a couple rides on EE with the crowds going to Pandora. Our FP day is on the 18th hoping we can get FOP twice during our 10 days. I'm also concerned about fitting on the ride :scared:
Can't wait to try a Mo'ara Margarita without the balls don't want anything disturbing the flow of alcohol :drinking1
What a difference in Ricky since last November. Cute picture with both the boys and the family one is great.
Can't wait to hear about WL CL.

Last edited:

Great pic! I have yet to see Boardwalk at night.

'm sorry if I offend anyone (not really) but, this has got to be the worst pizza in the world.

I know we're slightly spoiled with how great pizza is in our area, but there's really no excuse for BAD pizza. I can make decent pizza at home with a jar of sauce, pre-shredded mozerella, and an english muffin. Therefore, gross pizza is inexcusable anywhere!

I also need to go see "The Dark Tower" which came out the night before we left for Disney. Has anyone seen it?

So I'm reading this series now (actually listening on audiotape). I've just started book 3 and I can't decide if I like it or not. I have moments where I'm really intrigued and moments where I'm just annoyed by how little is actually explained. Did you read them?

We didn't have a FP for Jungle Cruise and Steve wanted to ride. Even though we often see availability for 4th FP's for this, the lines do get long and we did have FP's for what we wanted so we went here first. The posted wait was already 25 minutes!!! Ugh. Luckily the wait ended up being 8 minutes. I had a feeling it couldn't be 25 after only 30 minutes of being open! We had a great skipper, Bonnie, and as most of you know your skipper makes or breaks the ride really.
Next we visited some Pirates with a 10 minute wait:

This is so funny... So far this is our trip in reverse! Jungle Cruise was our last ride of the trip and Pirates was our 2nd to last ride! :rotfl:

I had this in Disneyland 4 years ago. It was so good. I'm not sure if it's actually the same sandwich or if they changed any of it but I remember really liking it!

Great shot! We didn't get to ride the train because of the stroller.

Beautiful :lovestruc

Love it!

we promptly got a text that a gray SUV of some sort would be there for us in 7 minutes :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: Oops! Oh well! At least you got there quickly.

:goodvibes

This guy was hysterical if you like dry, sarcastic humor which is right up mine and Steve's alley.

Sounds like I'd love this

And for all of you that asked about Ricky's first football game, thank you.

Glad the game went well, even though he was injured and they lost. It can only get better from here!

Awesome pic!

the two of us and about 8 other people went right - and 7000 people went left to Pandora :rotfl:

Sounds like a nice way to start the morning. My plan was to do the EMH Pandora craziness but it didn't happen.

I'll take one to go, please.

Awesome pictures

Our flight wasn't delayed any longer and we landed at 9:09 instead of 8:08. We needed to go to luggage claim because I hadn't received our ME tags-I know, TA and I don't get my own tags. It's so much more convenient having ME take your luggage but I also didn't want it delivered after midnight, and even with our original 8:08 arrival I was afraid that would happen so after one additional call to ME to find out where our tags were, I gave up

I know you didn't want your bags to arrive so late anyway, but for future reference, if you (or a client) don't receive the yellow tags in time, or if you don't have enough tags, you can bring your baggage claim "receipt" to the ME desk and they will still pick up and deliver your luggage to the resort :wizard:

Love the pic of Ricky and Chris sticking their tongues out at each other. Very cute! Can't wait to hear about CL at the WL!!!!

We walked on, escaped the Yeti, and Ricky was game to try his luck again but rode with Steve this time while Chris and I waited it out and watched them come whooshing down the hill but still come out smiling:

We had gone to AK around 9:15am during our 4th of July trip and we also saw hoards of people heading toward Pandora. We had a fp for the safari that morning but didn't need it. There was no one in the standby line. They must have been at Pandora. We also saw lots of people walking out of Pandora early in the morning. It looked like they had hurried over first thing and left when they found out that standby for FoP was more than three hours long.

I'm glad that we had the AP preview. :)

We all slept well after our Narcoossee's dinner and BW entertainment: but if the boys thought we were up kind of early yesterday for our first park day, they were in for a surprise today! We don't usually do morning EMH, but since we were doing the whole mid-day break thing I wanted to get as much morning park time in as I could. AK was opening at 8am for EMH and I was determined to be there! On top of that we had to bring our bags to bell services as we were checking out of YC and into what quickly became my favorite resort after our first stay there last August, the WL.

I am seriously impressed with y'all going for an EMH rope drop on a resort change day!

Darn WDW for having too many tempting resort choices - I am so torn between areas for future trips, but I really do want to try WL some day. I'm sure your room location didn't help your impression of YC, but I did kind of get that vibe last year when we visited it from BC.

I wonder how long this will last. It's got to be amazing going literally anywhere else in AK at RD right now.

View attachment 266631

Well one was smiling, the other had his tough-guy-teenager look on which you'll see is a recurring theme here.

He had to pull off a tough pic after his balloon magic shot from your previous update. ;)

When we were done the boys were more than ready for food. I may have been too but I'll pretend it was just the kids. When in Africa, you stop at Kusifiri Bakery! All there sweet stuff is so good; we sat on the wall and listened to Burudika play while we ate. Chris got something I've never seen there before, it's a huge cinnamon bun shaped like Mickey:

View attachment 266635

I feel nauseous just looking at that along with an irrational desire to devour it.

I'm ok with Avatar as a movie, but I cannot get excited about this ride. We will do it for sure, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of reridability to it.

We walked around a bit more, showing the boys the floating mountains and taking a look in the gift shop. It was only about 10:00 but of course the heat and humidity were going full force and we were thirsty. The boys noticed the Night Blossom on the Pongu Pongu sign and wanted to try it. They don't have soda which is what I like to drink, so naturally I had to go with the only other option on their menu that looked good to me, the Mo'ara Margarita:

View attachment 266854

Looks great, except for the boba balls, which I can't stand. No shame from me in having one at 10:00am! :thumbsup2

We were within the window of our 2nd FP which was made at Chris's request, so we headed back to Asia to ride Kali River Rapids. Normally I don't like getting soaked but today we were ALL hoping for those couple of seats on the ride that get you drenched - of course we all stayed fairly dry lol.

We've never ridden this, as I've gotten the impression that it's short and not worth having to walk around in wet clothes after. I hate that feeling, but will deal with it to enjoy rides like Splash. Worth a try?

We had a FP for the safari at 11:35 but everyone was losing steam, so we tried to see the 11:00 FOTLK show but by the time we got there at 10:50 they were full. I couldn't convince anyone to hang in the heat for that safari FP since we'd already ridden, so I switched one of our Thursday AK FP's to FOTLK, made a 4:30 FP for that day for Soarin', and we headed to the buses to go check in at WL CLUB LEVEL !!!

Love those spur of the moment adjustments!

View attachment 266877

He really does! Too funny.

Such a great pic!

Glad to be caught up and looking forward to more!

Chris got something I've never seen there before, it's a huge cinnamon bun shaped like Mickey:

Wow! Looks awesome! I'll have to tell Nicholas about this…he's the only one who'd actually have a shot at finishing it!

We left Africa and walked over the bridge and past Starbucks. As we approached Island Mercantile we saw a line and realized it was for Flights of Passage :scared1: ALL the way out there, and the CM holding the sign letting people know where the end of the line was kept yelling, "the wait time from this point is approx. 3.5 hours!" This was at 9:30 in the morning people, holy crap I wish I had pictures! I was so glad we had that FP for later in the week!

Yikes! That'll be us in November since we couldn't get our FOP fastpass :sad::sad::sad: But there is no way in heck that I'll wait more than an hour for any ride. We may have to skip it if that's the case.

He does!

Those are great pictures with everyone looking so happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter