Wheelchair abuse?

On our trip 2 weeks ago we saw a newlywed couple at Epcot - both using ECV's. Both in their 20's, with the ECV's all decorated with a just married signs, wearing bride & groom mickey ears and just married buttons. They were cruising around, racing each other, etc. At each bldg they'd park the ECV's, climb out, skip, snuggle, etc. into the bldg.

Clearly, they rented them to save the trouble of walking. I can't tell you how many dirty looks they got. Not only from DH & I, but from other people they passed along the way.

I just hope that the company they rented from weren't left shorthanded for someone that actually NEEDED the ECV so that these 2 could have a fun time riding around the World. :mad:

On our trip 2 weeks ago we saw a newlywed couple at Epcot - both using ECV's. Both in their 20's, with the ECV's all decorated with a just married signs, wearing bride & groom mickey ears and just married buttons. They were cruising around, racing each other, etc. At each bldg they'd park the ECV's, climb out, skip, snuggle, etc. into the bldg.

Clearly, they rented them to save the trouble of walking. I can't tell you how many dirty looks they got. Not only from DH & I, but from other people they passed along the way.

I just hope that the company they rented from weren't left shorthanded for someone that actually NEEDED the ECV so that these 2 could have a fun time riding around the World. :mad:

i wouldnt be surprised if one of these two really needed a scooter, and the other used one to "keep up." what annoyed me more than anything about what you said was the "racing." There is absolutely no reason to race scooters in the park. there is no need or disability i can think of which is helped or solved by the racing of scooters! that is just dangerous, even if they were permanently disabled and needed a wheelchair full time! people like that give all of us with wheels a bad name! (not saying whether or not they were "fakers" - just saying their behavior was dangerous)

Everyone must also realize that in the USA there are no limitations or laws on wheelchair and ECV use. One does not have to have a disability to use one. If I wanted to buy an ECV with my own money, and spend the rest of my life riding around in it, I can. There are no laws that say I can't! I could go buy crutches at the local pharmacy, wear an eye patch if I wanted to, etc. It's not against the law to do any of that. (Not that I want to, I've been on crutches, used a wheelchair, and had an eyepatch before, none of it was fun!)

The only laws regarding special situations for using special equipment that I can think of are the auto placard/plate for parking, and vested, trained service dogs. Can anyone else name other ones?

So, if two people want to spend their honeymoon in ECVs, they can. There's no law that says they can't. There's a certain sense of each person's own morality, but that's about it. There is no law that says a football team can't come and rent all the ECVs at the park if they get there first either. It's first come, first served, not "you're more deserving..."

i agree - it only frustrates me when people try to get to the front of the line using the wheelchair/scooter, rather than wait in line with the rest of us - if people want to use scooters, go for it. everyone's perception of "need" is different. i think i "need" something you may not. so i wont judge you, you don't judge me, and we'll all get along...

however, people who use scooters/chairs and plan on skipping lines because of them (whether or not they truly "need" the wheelchair/scooter) will find themselves disappointed.

I don't know if they keep records on this perhaps it is just an observation. Between our trip in May and our Sept. trip we observed a large increase of wheeled visitors versus 2002 (our last visit).
I will never question why someone does use assistance (one family member a paraplegic, one with joint health issues and I used a wheelchair after an accident in our OKW 97' visit).
Our concern this time was space - the paths were not wide enough for all the vehicles.
Our concern was speed - people zipped around silently and were dangerous.
Our concern was manners - some people were down right scary.
Add the doublewide strollers to the mix and it is a traffic jam.

It is hard to integrate all these vehicles into something that was built 25-30 years ago for pedestrians. I hope they devise a code of manners because some of the people in the vehicles were dangerous.........

I hope they devise a code of manners because some of the people in the vehicles were dangerous.........

This is a lovely idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. Sadly, I think there would be even more people ignoring these rules than currently ignore the no smoking (other than authorised areas), no heelies etc etc etc (not trying to start a debate on any of these, just using them as examples). I think a lot of people on foot can be just as dangerous as those on wheels. A lot of people seem to think that, because they're in a pedestrian area, nothing can hurt them. They might think differently after they've wandered aimlessly out in front of me without warning
icon_twisted.gif
(kidding! Honest!!)!!

I am going in less that a month. :yay: It took alot of persuasion from my travel companions, and people on this board to get me to agree to rent an ECV. But I am now glad I will have one. I have been practicing my driving on a scooter they have here at work and also at the grocery store. I am getting quite good if I do say so myself.
I have scheduled my hip replacement surgery for mid January, and I am actually rather relieved to have it scheduled.
Just think..one month from today I will be there. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter