Wheelchair abuse?

Sarubo

Please stand clear of the doors.
My family has been visiting Disney for over 25 years, we love it. My father is confined to a wheelchair because of injuries sustained years ago. He has no use of his legs at all and his wheelchair is his sole form of transportation.

In recent years I've seen glaring abuses of the wheelchair rental service at Disney. I do realize not all disabilities are seen with the eye. These individuals however, made it clear through their actions and words that they were only using the wheelchairs and ECVs as a "luxury." One group of women even went so far as to laugh at the people who had to stand in line and wait for another bus. The woman in the ECV said, "See I told you we wouldn't have to wait, I'm gonna rent this thing from now on."

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if Disney required a doctor's note to rent a wheelchair or ECV? I can't help but think of all the people who truly have a need for a wheelchair, but can't get one because someone is abusing this service. God forbid those abusers really need a wheelchair someday. I'm sure they will cease to see it as a "perk". It is not a luxury to have to rely on something as your personal transportation, it's a luxury to be able to walk.

ok, rant done for now.:upsidedow

It would not be legal for Disney to require proof of a disability to rent a wheelchair or ECV.
It also would not be fair to the people who have a temporary need for one, or even those who have a permanent disability but did not have notice ahead of time so that they could get a note.

Most of the lines are actually wheelchair accessible and in the shows, the wheelchair seats are often in the back row, so the few places where there might be some "advantage" to using a wheelchair are balanced against the many places where having a wheelchair or ECV is a disadvantage.

I do think there may be a small number of people who are using an ECV or wheelchair because they think of it as an advantage, but I also think that number is VERY small. When you look at the price of an ECV, that driving one means you have to be extra vigilent and that it gives you a good view of everyone else's 'butts', I don't think many people actually rent one unless they have a need.
I think there are far more people who would really be in less pain if they used one, but many people who really need one won't rent one because they are afraid of what others will think and say.

We've had this come up a few times before and, though I can see the OP's point, I'm quite glad the system is as it is. I now use my own wheelchair due to joint problems, but when I was still in the process of breaking, I often had to rent Disney wheelchairs suddenly, with no warning. All the walking at Disney causes a lot of people injuries that they could never have predicted in advance, but that stop them being able to enjoy the parks (either hindering their enjoyment because of the pain or forcing them to stay in their hotel rooms).

One suggestion has come up that people should phone their doctor's for a note if they injure themselves, but that comes with a whole load of problems of it's own (especially for those of us in other time-zones).

Even if they did insist on proof, anyone who really wanted to 'cheat' could just rent from off site. In fact, the woman you heard in the bus queue must have done this, as you're not allowed to take park ECV out of that particular park.

I understand how frustrating it must be to hear people bragging about how a wheelchair helps them 'cheat the system', but I think that, aside from the legal issues, the number of people who would suffer from insisting on proof far outweighs the number who would be 'caught'.

Please don't take this as an attack on you. None of us here want people 'cheating', we've just never been able to come up with a system better than the one currently in place.

Even if they did insist on proof, anyone who really wanted to 'cheat' could just rent from off site. In fact, the woman you heard in the bus queue must have done this, as you're not allowed to take park ECV out of that particular park.
Plus, her comments may not have meant she was "cheating". My FIL rented an ECV at the parks the last few years of his life. He considered it a 'luxury' but, he really could not tour without it. After a day of walking, he was in a lot of pain from his knees and hips; he spent his evenings in pain with ice on his knees (his doctor had suggested knee and hip replacements at least 10 yrs earlier). This was even when he took it very slow and did very little walking in the parks. After a day of using an ECV, he was not in pain and wondered why he had not done it before. He went places in the parks he had not been in years.
If anyone had asked him about the ECV, he would have said it was a luxury (after all, he could walk). He was concerned about what people would think. THis was a guy who had been offered a handicapped parking permit, but didn't feel he needed one bad enough to maybe take the space away from someone else (instead, he parked and sat while his wife went in).

So, even those whose comments make it sound like a "luxury" may really need it.

I will not have a dr's note for a wheelchair, but i need one. In fact, I now own my own chair. there is always a debate about having to "prove" a disability. there is a debate over in the theme parks forum now about it...

i like to think that most people actually need the scooter/chair their use. if they are "faking" (and i hate that word), karma will get them in the end!

There is no need for the debate on requireing proof. Because it is against the law to do so, END OF STORY.

and I can assure all the complainers that no one wishes that the real cheaters could be stopped more than those of us who are NOT cheating but require what we require.

and while it can't be argued that even for an able bodied person it is easier on the feet to ride, it does not buy you much of anything as far as quicker access to rides with very few exceptions and on many it means you miss a lot of things. and often have to wait longer than if you were to just walk on a ride.

I appreciate everyone thoughts and comments. However, it is not against the law for a company to require proof of disability. There are a number of transportation companies, etc... that require proof of an individuals disability in order to use such companies accessible services. In order to get a placard at the DMV, proof is required. And we have been to many other amusement parks where proof may be required. So it's more about not hurting people's feelings, than being against the law.
My father is a 6 foot 5 paraplegic, in a tilt electric wheelchair, and even we have to carry a card that proves his disablility. What's the big deal?

I don't believe it gets anyone on the bus any faster, either. There's only room for two wheelchairs/ECVs on the buses, so you could end up having to wait for the next bus to get on, even if the departing bus is only half full...

I appreciate everyone thoughts and comments. However, it is not against the law for a company to require proof of disability. There are a number of transportation companies, etc... that require proof of an individuals disability in order to use such companies accessible services. In order to get a placard at the DMV, proof is required. And we have been to many other amusement parks where proof may be required. So it's more about not hurting people's feelings, than being against the law.
My father is a 6 foot 5 paraplegic, in a tilt electric wheelchair, and even we have to carry a card that proves his disablility. What's the big deal?

DMV is different and doesn't fall under the ADA in the same manner.

And were the other amusement parks giving "perks" such as reduced admission? Then it's a different story-

In disney all a wheelchair or ECV does is grant equal access- no "perks" involved. Anyone should have access to a wheelchair or ECV.

I've traveled many times with a child with cp and never ever had to "prove" she has cp. How dumb would they be if they had her try to do what she says she can't before saying "ohyea she has a disability". It would go like this getting a GAC:
Me: "i need to use my stroller as a wheelchair, she can't stand unassisted"
CM: "prove it"
Me: "ok hunny, try to stand up for this nice lady, I guess there is a chance for a miracle even though you have never stood in your life" :goodvibes

Or- ok, you say you have an autoimmune disease and need to stay out of the sun.
You: I need to stay in the shade as much as possible
CM: ok, come back when you are badly burned and about to be hopsitalized to prove that you need to stay out of the shade. Next time before we ruin your trip, we will give you a GAC.

Sorry... I just don't agree with needing proof of a disability. I don't want the world to know and they don't have any right to know. All they need to know is the best way to help me and if they can do it, great. If they can't, I'll make due.

Have a great day! :goodvibes

What about those who don't normally need a wheelchair but might need one temporarily or to get around Disney? On my last trip one our first day at the Magic Kingdom my DSIL rented a chair because she would have never made it the entire day without one. Due to a yet undiagnosed medical condition (she's working on getting it officially diagnosed) she couldn't sleep the night before and was sore that morning. Normally she would never have needed a chair but did for most of that day. She had no proof of a need for a chair so if they required proof she wouldn't have been able to get one and her, and our, entire day would have been ruined.

it took me 10 years of pain to finally be diagnosed. so for the last 10 years (and for the rest of my life) i am going to have t convince dr after dr that I am as bad as I am. you cannot measure my illness, so I often have problems convincing a dr of my pain. this is another reason why you should not have to prove disability.

DMV is different and doesn't fall under the ADA in the same manner.

And were the other amusement parks giving "perks" such as reduced admission? Then it's a different story-

In disney all a wheelchair or ECV does is grant equal access- no "perks" involved. Anyone should have access to a wheelchair or ECV.
::yes::
If access above and beyond what is provided to people without disabilities is given, they can require proof. An example would be handicapped transport buses that some places provide instead of city buses. My DD has a card that allows her to use those and she did have to provide proof. But those buses pick the rider up at the door and deliver them back home the same way. That is more access than they give to non-disabled riders.

The same thing with some theme parks - they may give a discount or give actual front of the line access. That is more than the ADA requires and if they want to provide that 'extra', they can require proof.

The ADA says that people with disabilities can not be forced to provide proof of their disability in order to be provided with needed accomodations.

Just chill, karma will catch up with cheaters eventually.

Anne

If you are referring to any public transportation companies then you are quite wrong it IS very illegal for them to require any kind of proof before having to provide service to the disabled. it is part of the ADA.

DMV and applying for placards and special reduced fare tickets etc. are a different matter but that is not the case here and ADA law does apply they cannot require proof of what your disablity is before renting you a wheelchair or scooter.

I think karma catches up to wheelchair cheeters on the safari. I swear we wait two or three times as long to get on that thing as people who don't have wheelchairs.

I say if folks enjoy sitting in a wheelchair on the bus with someone's hind-end right at eye level. . .

There will be so many eye opening experiences for "cheaters" it may be a benefit to those in actual need in the end.

now if we could just get rid of the sense of "entitlement" that goes with so many one-time or Disney-old ECV users. There are so many old people (and others too!) who think that just because they are old and have problems walking they should get special treatment! I was reading an article once where an old lady wanted to get head-of-line privilege because she could not sit in an ECv all day, and she wanted to bring her 13 :scared1: family members to the front of the line. my reaction is that if she has so many problems sitting, then she needs to get a scooter/PWC that is more appropriate for her needs.

i am 22, disabled, and getting worse. i am not any more entitled to the front of the line than any body else. too many people think that "equal access" for the disabled means "special access." and that leads people to generalize that ALL disabled people are needy, greedy, rude, and mean, simply because those people are the most vocal.

my mom was leaving the Nemo show in AK with about 5000 other people, and a woman in an ECV was honking and yelling for everyone to get out of the way. She wanted to go faster... well EVERYONE is slow getting out of a show! wait your turn! as a disabled person, people like that make me crazy! i DO NOT want to be lumped into a category with her!

ok, rant over...

and btw, these comments are my opinion only. They are not meant to apply to kids on a MAW or GKTW trips. Terminally and critically ill children definitely deserve anything special we can give them!

I just had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago on my toe (by the time we go to disney i will be 6 weeks out) But I have to get a wheelchair cause i have my toe and a bad knee. My mom just broke her toe also and my 76 year old pop-pop (who also has bad knees) will be with us. So the 3 of us have hidden injuries but have to switch back and forth in the wheelchair.

We were at DW in July and was in pain because of a bad knee. I was tempted to rent a wheelchair because every step I took was very painful, but the only reason I didn't was because I thought it would be too much trouble to keep up with the rest of my family. (I also felt guilty renting a wheelchair when I really wasn't handicapped.)

Can someone help me correct my ticker timeline.:confused:

We were at DW in July and was in pain because of a bad knee. I was tempted to rent a wheelchair because every step I took was very painful, but the only reason I didn't was because I thought it would be too much trouble to keep up with the rest of my family. (I also felt guilty renting a wheelchair when I really wasn't handicapped.)
Sorry for your pain, but you are handicapped, at least temporarily. And if you had rented a wheelchair (and had people in your family push you) or you rented an ECV you would have found that there would have been no problem in keeping up with the rest of your family.

I know the first time I rented an ECV my wife was very happy because I was no longer slowing her down.
Can someone help me correct my ticker timeline.:confused:
If you go to the Tech Support forum, which is at the bottom of the list of forums, and ask that question and tell what you want, someone there will be able to assist you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter