What's with the Menu Changes?

momomonster said:
Um, not when ADRs in most places are already taken less than 30 days out.
Um, I realize reservations are hard to get, especially for the next five weeks or so - but I'd expect something could be found from among these restaurants:

BlueZoo (6/07)
Flame Grilled Tenderloin of Beef Filet - Served with Horseradish fingerling potatoes, charred frisee salad, and balsamic veal jus. - $38.00

California Grill (08/07)
Oak-fired Beef Filet - Served with crushed red potatoes with Nueske's bacon, green beans, and teriyaki bbq sauce. - $36.00

Citrico's (04/07)
Citrico's Filet Sicilian - Oak grilled filet of beef with wood roasted Spanish onions, Quattro Formaggi crushed potatoes and veal glace. - $36.00

Concourse Steakhouse (03/07)
7-oz Filet Mignon - Served with mashed potatoes and gorgonzola butter. - $26.99

Concourse Steakhouse (breakfast) (07/07)
Steak & Eggs - Filet mignon, two eggs any style, potatoes, and a biscuit. - $14.99

Fulton's Crab House (04/07)
Filet Mignon - 8 oz. marinated center cut Angus beef. Charcoal grilled, with demi glace and sauteed veggies. With Australian Lobster Tail add $25.95 or With Alaskan King Crab Claws add $24.95 or With Grilled Pacific Shrimp add $9.95 - $39.95

Hollywood Brown Derby (06/07)
Grilled Filet Mignon - Served on warm new potato-cress salad with Sherry vinegar and sweet tarragon-lobster butter. - $32.00

House of Blues (04/07)
Grilled 8 oz Filet Mignon - Stuffed with Tomato Compote, Basil and goat cheese. Topped with a red wine sauce and served with mashed potatoes and sauteed veggies. - $26.95

Il Mulino (06/07)
Medaglione Di Filetto - 10 ounce beef tenderloin served with fried onions. - $43.00

Jiko (08/07)
Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon - Served with Macaroni & cheese and red wine sauce. - $37.00

Kona Cafe (08/07)
Char-Crusted Filet Mignon - Served with mashed Yukon Gold potatoes, asparagus, and a 5-spiced mushroom sauce. - $25.49

Le Cellier (08/07)
7 oz Filet Mignon - Glazed with maple BBQ sauce and accompanied by cream cheese mashed potatoes. - $26.99

Le Cellier (lunch) 5-oz Filet Mignon - Served over cream cheese mashed potatoes, and finished with a roasted garlic demi-glace. - $21.99

Le Cellier
Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - Baby portobella wild mushroom risotto with white truffle and herb butter sauce topped with fried parsnips. - $27.99

Maya Grill (08/06)
Maya's Filet Mignon - Includes choice of potato & mixed veggies. - $27.99

Narcoossee's (06/07)
Grilled Filet Mignon - Served with potato gratin and green peppercorn-brandy sauce. - $35.00

Narcoossee's
Grilled Filet Mignon and Butter-poached lobster tail, with potato gratin and a green peppercorn-brandy sauce. - $52.00

Portabello Yacht Club (08/07)
Filet Portobello - Grilled, Black Angus center cut filet of beef, topped with gorgonzola cream, caramelized red onions, served with potato souffle and tomato oreganata. - $39.95

Rainforest Cafe (03/07)
Tree Top Filet - Center cut, aged tenderloin steak, charbroiled and topped with steak butter. Served with a grilled portabello mushroom, Napa veggies and red-skinned garlic mashed potatoes. With a stuffed 1/2 Maine lobster $39.99 Add a House salad or cup of soup for $4.99 - $29.99

San Angel Inn (08/07)
Filete Motuleno - Grilled beef tenderloin over black beans and melted cheese, ranchero sauce, poblano pepper strips and fried plaintain. - $27.95

Shula's (08/06)
12 oz. Filet Mignon - 12 oz. Filet Mignon - $39.95

Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe-Upstairs (05/07)
Filet Mignon - Served with roasted squash, grilled portabello, and sauteed spinach. - $38.50

Yachtsman Steakhouse (01/07)
Yachtsman Filet Mignon - 8-oz Filet served with mashed potatoes and a red wine sauce. - $34.00

You are absolutely correct and I misspoke. It's not a loss leader as it does generate much traffic but the free dining particularily is a scam...Nothing is for free and if Disney can find a way to make xxxx from you by offering you something that they know they can make xxxx from AND get you to fill their hotel at rack rate then they will do it. .
Tell that to Mom, Dad, and the two Disney-defined kids staying at Pop Century next week.
Standard room: $82
Tax: $10.25
Total room cost per night: $92.25
DDP: $38.99 per adult x 2 = $77.98, $10.99 x 2 = $21.98
$77.98 + $21.98 = $99.96
$92.25 room cost - $99.96 DDP value = Disney is giving this family more Dining Plan value than they're charging for the room. This lucky family is getting something free - either the room or the food.

Tell that to Mom, Dad, and the two Disney-defined kids staying at Pop Century next week.
$77.98 + $21.98 = $99.96
$92.25 room cost - $99.96 DDP value = Disney is giving this family more Dining Plan value than they're charging for the room. This lucky family is getting something free - either the room or the food.

Well in that case it appears that the DDP is a loss leader.;)
pirate:

I'd say 'too bad I'm not that family', but then I remember I don't have to pay four airfares, or keep telling two small kids and one big one why they can't buy every souvenir they see, or share the bathroom...

$77.98 + $21.98 = $99.96

It's not for free. What does the room and the food really cost Disney? Did they fill a room that may have been vacant? Will they pay for admission, buy anything while in the parks? Go on a tour, or book their next trip. How about a photo pass, boat rental or buy into the DVC. Don't forget the room DDP deals are limited.

I .... Like Laugh O Grams said, lighter, healthier fare sells better these days, especially at nicer restaurants. Americans in general are moving away from meat & potatoes eating, so it makes sense that restaurants would move away from meat & potatoes menus.

In general yes, but not when I am on vacation!! ;)

I don't get why everyone complains when menus change. All restaurants change menus sooner or later. I may be slightly dissapointed if one of my favorite items is taken off a menu, but I get over it. There's still plenty of appetizing options at all the restaurants IMO.

Exactly. :thumbsup2

Who/what do you guys blame when a place like Chili's, TGIFriday's, Red Lobster, etc change their menu. ;) Surely you do not blame the Dining Plan at Disney or the specials the restaurant is running. :laughing:

Hm, Does anyone here think a steak and a potato actually cost Disney $26.99?

Nor does it cost anybody else that, but this is what they charge. ;)

Filet Mignon @ Saltgrass is $25
Filet Mignon @ Texas Roadhouse is $24
Prime Rib @ Saltrass is $21
Sirloin @Saltgrass is $20
Sirloin @ Texas Land & Cattle is $22
Sirloin @ Hoffbrau is $23

Out of ALL of our local resturants the steak house is the one you can't get into at lunch, dinner or any other time of the day without waiting..

I thought this was funny(interesting).... when I noticed your location -London, KY

Where I live....its Sea Food resturants that you can't get into for lunch or dinner :thumbsup2
I always thought Disney was crazy with way too many steaks and way too much red meat :cool2:

I love steak (but not being from the mid-west) we eat it a few times a year. Fish, shrimp, crab, lobster, and chicken are all much more common resturant meals, for many of us who live on the coast. pirate:

I haven't read through the whole thread--I gave up at page 8. However, I wanted to pass along something I had read about a month ago. There is a steak shortage in NY. LINK I wonder if there is a supply issue in Orlando as well.

Well in that case it appears that the DDP is a loss leader.;)
pirate:
But I'm still paying for Food and Wine Festival events that are costing me almost $400, two TS meals for two people OOP, our park tickets, and who knows how much I'll end up spending on souvenirs, I'm guessing at least $500. That's about $1,500 Disney's going to get from me, plus the $1,000 the room's costing.

If I hadn't booked the free DDP, I could of gotten a discount on the room since I have an AP, so I would of saved money either way, I just decided that the DDP was better savings for me then the room discount. Like disneynutz said, and I think she's had some excellant points, nothing is for free, Disney makes money, and the DDP is not a loss leader.

Exactly. :thumbsup2

Who/what do you guys blame when a place like Chili's, TGIFriday's, Red Lobster, etc change their menu. ;) Surely you do not blame the Dining Plan at Disney or the specials the restaurant is running. :laughing:

No, but no one is comparing any of thes ubiqutous , run of the mill chains to Flying Fish, Jiko, California Grill, Artist Point or Citrico's either.

Well, then I guess I agree disneyfav4ever:upsidedow I'm joking with my flip flops but I DO AGREE THAT NOTHING IS FREE.:thumbsup2 Disney isn't being benevolent with anything they do. They're making their profit either front end or back and while some people may been getting a perceived "great deal" the plan is still not "giving them" anything in the long run.
pirate:

So DDP is not a loss leader... mmh, interesting. Since, according to some speculators, DDP is an immensely profitable standalone program I'm wondering why the removal of the appetizer and tip from the plan for 2008? After all, the DDP program was making money (according to some) for participating restaurants. It seems logical to me if Disney had a successful and profitable DDP as it was, why tinker with it, or as the kids say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Perhaps the DDP was more 'broke' than many of us realized.

It seems logical to me if Disney had a successful and profitable DDP as it was, why tinker with it, or as the kids say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Perhaps the DDP was more 'broke' than many of us realized.

I don't think the DDP was "broke" in any bad sense. I think its a combination of Disney knowing they can trim back whats included and eek out more of a profit and hearing/seeing that there is too much food offered with a lot going to waste. I think that they see that holding back on the appetizer and tip isn't going to be a deal breaker for DDP fans and that folks will still opt to buy the plan.

bytheblood said:
Who/what do you guys blame when a place like Chili's, TGIFriday's, Red Lobster, etc change their menu.
No-brainer. The Disney Dining Plan, of course - especially during the free promotion period. Heck, I'm gonna blame everything on the free DDP.
"Hello, Boss? I'm going to be late today. Traffic's very heavy because of the Free Disney Dining Plan."
"Yes, mortgage company, I sent my payment in plenty of time. It must be delayed because of Disney's Free Dining Plan promotion".
"I didn't forget your birthday; Walt Disney World has the Free Dining Plan".
"I wasn't speeding, officer. See? I'm heading south? Well, Walt Disney World is south, so their Free Dining Plan promotion must be drawing my car in that direction like a really powerful magnet".
"We interrupt this program to bring you a special weather alert: Torrential rainfalls in Las Vegas overnight have been attributed to Disney's Free Dining Plan promotion. Stay tuned to this station for updates".
"Scientists determined that Disney's Free Dining Plan was the actual cause of the damage to the panel on the space shuttle".
"Walt Disney World's Free Dining promotion is solely responsible for the creation of the Bermuda Triangle"
"Explorers uncovered evidence that Disney's Free Dining Plan promotion is what actually sank the Lost City of Atlantis"

I don't think the DDP was "broke" in any bad sense. I think its a combination of Disney knowing they can trim back whats included and eek out more of a profit and hearing/seeing that there is too much food offered with a lot going to waste. I think that they see that holding back on the appetizer and tip isn't going to be a deal breaker for DDP fans and that folks will still opt to buy the plan.

If I were determined to tap dance around the obvious, this would be as good a rationalization as any other I suppose.

Yes. I ate there on Saturday Augus 25th. Crab Cakes were off rhe menu. As was the filet, the Wolf's Steak and the weinerschnitzel.

Darn, I didn't start getting into crab cakes till a year ago and planned on ordering them at each place we are going.

Some of the "foodies" complain about the DDP, and DDP guests, "ruining" their restaurants. Sounds like WP is accomodating them with their upstairs restaurant. Surprised we don't see those people congratulating WP. Let me guess, at least some of them don't want to pay the price, does WPC upstairs room accept the DDE.

No the upstairs doesn't take DDP last time I checked. My whole family is on the DDP this trip.

Right. Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe Upstairs does not accept the DDP/Disney Dining Plan. They do accept the DDE/Disney Dining Experience (discount card available to AP holders, Florida residents, and maybe one or two other groups).

So DDP is not a loss leader... mmh, interesting. Since, according to some speculators, DDP is an immensely profitable standalone program I'm wondering why the removal of the appetizer and tip from the plan for 2008? After all, the DDP program was making money (according to some) for participating restaurants. It seems logical to me if Disney had a successful and profitable DDP as it was, why tinker with it, or as the kids say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Perhaps the DDP was more 'broke' than many of us realized.

Disney posted a 1.1 billion dollar profit. Why did they raise ticket prices, room prices, food prices, DVC prices, and DDP prices? Because they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter