What's with the Menu Changes?

Minnie0107

Mouseketeer
It seems like there are more and more posts of people talking about changing their ADR's due to menu changes. Many of the restaurants are doing away with the steaks and chicken/pasta items. I think this is weird b/c these are favorite items for a lot of people. I have already had to change WCC since they no longer have the NY strip or nachos and WPC since they no longer have the wolf steak or the crab cakes. What gives? :confused3 If it is about saving money w/ the DDP being so popular, than I would rather them leave the steaks on the menu and just exclude them from the DDP. I would rather pay OP then not have one at all.:sad2:

0609.jpg
:lmao:

When was the last time Disney updated the menus? I honestly doubt Disney is doing it to save a buck. I would think they're changing them to reflect the changing diet of society these days. I don't think red meat and heavy carb dishes like pasta/nachos sell as well as they might have 5-10 years ago. Obviously, you're going to hear complaints from those who are disappointed, but I think the majority of diners, myself included, are happy that they're taking steps to give a larger variety of menu choices. If you want a steak or pasta, they've got a few restaurants for that. If you want something different, they've got places for that too. They're simply giving the public what they want.

They wouldn't remove pasta in order the save money. Pasta dishes are the cheapest to make and therefore the biggest money makers for restaurants.

Maybe since there are places the specialize in steak they are trying out different offerings in other locations.

When was the last time Disney updated the menus? I honestly doubt Disney is doing it to save a buck. I would think they're changing them to reflect the changing diet of society these days. I don't think red meat and heavy carb dishes like pasta/nachos sell as well as they might have 5-10 years ago. Obviously, you're going to hear complaints from those who are disappointed, but I think the majority of diners, myself included, are happy that they're taking steps to give a larger variety of menu choices. If you want a steak or pasta, they've got a few restaurants for that. If you want something different, they've got places for that too. They're simply giving the public what they want.

taking steps to give a larger variety of menu choices:rotfl2:
Do you really believe its for health reasons :lmao: , what about the deserts which they left on the 2008 DDP instead of an appetizer ??? Also the generous $1 less in cost then the 18 - 20 % tip OOP :scared1:
ITS all about the
DisneyDad.gif

0609.jpg

Menu's change - that's the way it is. Don't blame DDP, Disney Corporate or any of the Disney Villians - it's the nature of the resturant business.

taking steps to give a larger variety of menu choices:rotfl2:
Do you really believe its for health reasons :lmao: , what about the deserts which they left on the 2008 DDP instead of an appetizer ??? Also the generous $1 less in cost then the 18 - 20 % tip OOP :scared1:
ITS all about the
DisneyDad.gif

I don't think Disney is doing it to keep us healthy, they're doing it because healthier food choices sell better these days, so yes, it is about the money but not in the way you're thinking. If they include steak or pasta on their menu, and it doesn't sell, then it's more expensive than not serving steak at all. I think my3disneygirls is onto something, though. If they wanted to go with straight cheap food, they'd make the menus at every Disney restaurant more pasta/nacho heavy, and get rid of everything else. Disney's not interested in policing our diet, they just want to provide diners with food that they'll actually purchase.

Menu's change - that's the way it is. Don't blame DDP, Disney Corporate or any of the Disney Villians - it's the nature of the resturant business.

Sorry I can't buy that :)
JMO

Disneyland_Fantasyland.gif

Bottom line =
word011.gif
MICKSPIN.gif
word011.gif

I tend to agree with what some wise posted said on another thread - first, people complained when all the restaurants were serving the same steak, chicken, fish, pasta options. Now they're complaining when some of those repetitive dishes are being swapped out for more specialty-type items.

Also, I don't think Disney or the dining plan can be blamed for changes at Wolfgang Puck's, which isn't Disney owned or operated and already has a track record of simply excluding more expensive items from the dining plan.

I do think money is behind the changes, but not in the sense of "Let's get rid of all the pricey items". Like Laugh O Grams said, lighter, healthier fare sells better these days, especially at nicer restaurants. Americans in general are moving away from meat & potatoes eating, so it makes sense that restaurants would move away from meat & potatoes menus. And with Disney's new "healthy dining" marketing tactic, some items will probably be casualties of fostering a more health conscious image overall.

With all that said, I do think some changes are about money on a simpler level. It just doesn't make financial sense for Disney to offer a $8 nacho appetizer that is big enough to make a meal of when they could stick to appetizer-sized appetizers so that diners will order an entree as well.

I tend to agree with what some wise posted said on another thread - first, people complained when all the restaurants were serving the same steak, chicken, fish, pasta options. Now they're complaining when some of those repetitive dishes are being swapped out for more specialty-type items.
That was me!!!! It's nice to know that people agree with what I think, even just once in a while! Thanks, Colleen!
With all that said, I do think some changes are about money on a simpler level. It just doesn't make financial sense for Disney to offer a $8 nacho appetizer that is big enough to make a meal of when they could stick to appetizer-sized appetizers so that diners will order an entree as well.
And here I go, returning the compliment. I agree with this. I actually don't want an appetizer that can be a meal. I want an appetizer that makes me hungry for more food.

And, sure I was disappointed at first when I saw that Chefs had taken the filet off the menu. But, I have other meals where I know I'll be having steak. I see two other items on the current CDF menu that I never would have considered before, but now I can't decide between. This is gonna be so much fun!

I don't buy that the menu is changing because people don't want steak, red meat or chicken or because of "dieting". Not everyone is a vegetarian.

Out of ALL of our local resturants the steak house is the one you can't get into at lunch, dinner or any other time of the day without waiting.

And what special items are they adding in place of what they are taking away? That is my question. Resturants have to offer something for everyone and basic steak and chicken dishes are a MUST, not everyone wants some dish that is "special". If a group of 5 of us go out at least 1 or 2 want a basic steak or chicken meal. Anyone IN THE RESTURANT business knows this.

From what I hear last year because of free dining they removed big items like steak and then put them back on after free dining was over. My guess is that they will put them back on later if history tells us anything. And if they don't, we will find somewhere else that does.

And what special items are they adding in place of what they are taking away? That is my question.
Chefs de France has taken away the Filet de Beouf Grille and the Filet de Limande, and added the Canard au miels and the Noix de Saint Jacques et gambas. Take away a meat and a fish, add a fowl and a seafood. Everything else (I only checked the dinner entrees) is the same.

Changing menus are a part of the life of a good restaurant. Menus at fine restaurants may change from day to day depending on what can be purchased fresh. Changes take place based on what seems to be selling or not selling. When new Executive Chefs are hired the menu will undergo modifications or even complete overhauls. Sometimes changes will be made strictly based on financial considerations. There are many individual reasons, but most of the time changes are due to a combination of reasons.

WDW has probably considered many factors in the changes they make to a menu. Customer reactions to the changes were probably considered also. Not everyone will be pleased when a change is made, but I am sure WDW is banking on the masses being ok with it. The few who are disappointed because their favorite item is gone will still spend their money for food, maybe just at a different WDW restaurant. In the end they will still get your money.

:thumbsup2

Chefs de France has taken away the Filet de Beouf Grille and the Filet de Limande, and added the Canard au miels and the Noix de Saint Jacques et gambas. Take away a meat and a fish, add a fowl and a seafood. Everything else (I only checked the dinner entrees) is the same.
clarapellerheadshot.jpg
beef.jpg
:lmao:

I wish they would change the lunch menu at CRT, in say the next 5 weeks..... the menu hasn't appealed to me at all...we're only going to have eaten in the castle...just once.

I don't buy that the menu is changing because people don't want steak, red meat or chicken or because of "dieting". Not everyone is a vegetarian.

Out of ALL of our local resturants the steak house is the one you can't get into at lunch, dinner or any other time of the day without waiting.

And what special items are they adding in place of what they are taking away? That is my question. Resturants have to offer something for everyone and basic steak and chicken dishes are a MUST, not everyone wants some dish that is "special". If a group of 5 of us go out at least 1 or 2 want a basic steak or chicken meal. Anyone IN THE RESTURANT business knows this.

From what I hear last year because of free dining they removed big items like steak and then put them back on after free dining was over. My guess is that they will put them back on later if history tells us anything. And if they don't, we will find somewhere else that does.

First off, when we're talking about the changing American diet, we don't mean "dieting". It means that the food selection that the average diner wants is changing and they want more choices. Second, to take the OP's complaint that the NY Strip is gone, well, WCC still has Prime Rib, as well as ribs and meatloaf, so there is still something for meat lovers. Disney probably feels that the menu was red meat heavy and decided to change it up a little. Restaurants these days cannot survive on steak and pasta alone.

Of course, it's a free country, and if anyone prefers to believe that Disney's changing the menu to screw their guests on DDP, they are free to believe that as well.

I actually don't want an appetizer that can be a meal. I want an appetizer that makes me hungry for more food.

Bravo!!! It seems today's culinary trend is to have appetizers that make you so stuffed you could not possibly eat your entree. Many WDW diners complain about the large amount of food they get on their plate, but when a menu change is made and the portions are made more realistic, the complaints swing the other direction. Disney can't win.

Personally, I love an appetizer that is just a couple of bites (and a bite or two to share with my family) that make me anticipate my entree that will soon follow.......that is the purpose of an appetizer!

And, sure I was disappointed at first when I saw that Chefs had taken the filet off the menu. But, I have other meals where I know I'll be having steak. I see two other items on the current CDF menu that I never would have considered before, but now I can't decide between. This is gonna be so much fun!

Good grief, you're thanking Disney for reducing your choices under the rationale that now you can choose something other than what you would have chosen? Well, anyway, good for you for looking on the bright side, but we all know CDF and WGP didn't take the steaks off their menus right when WDW becomes flooded with DDP diners because they weren't selling. :rolleyes: Please.

And by the way, I wouldn't count those other steak meals until they've hatched, so to speak.

First off, when we're talking about the changing American diet, we don't mean "dieting". It means that the food selection that the average diner wants is changing and they want more choices. Second, to take the OP's complaint that the NY Strip is gone, well, WCC still has Prime Rib, as well as ribs and meatloaf, so there is still something for meat lovers. Disney probably feels that the menu was red meat heavy and decided to change it up a little. Restaurants these days cannot survive on steak and pasta alone.

Of course, it's a free country, and if anyone prefers to believe that Disney's changing the menu to screw their guests on DDP, they are free to believe that as well.

Very well said!

As for the part about screwing the DDP guests, I agree with you.....why would you try to alienate a large percentage of park guests?? That would be a very poor business practice for Disney overall!!! I think the whole "DDP is to blame" angle is getting a little old!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter