What's Up with Disney these days???

We just did Universal California today, and had 3 breakdowns, and employees seemed to be having trouble. It is funny how this time of year it seems like the most problems occur. I don't know if they are working kinks out at that time, if the b team is on the job or what. But we wouldn't change it for the world. We also got to go the most popular attractions with no wait, no muggy weather, and the only reason the crowds are annoying is because they intermittent instead of constant.

We went down 1/25-2/1 (Awesome weather) and while much busier than I thought it would be it was still very manageable as we were able to ride most of the rides with no more than a 30 minute(exception was test tract, soaring,but we got fast passes for those) wait and hit our favorites multiple times (some with the use of fast pass). MK was by far the busiest day but we hit Fantasy land early with no lines and went back for lunch at Be Our Guest with only a 30 minute wait. Epcot was the second busiest day followed by HS and AK. We didn't experience to many broken rides only 2 that I can think of Space Mountain and test tract but that was later in the day that they went down. When broke up our week with a couple of trips to the universal parks which was nice cause the crowd levels were low with little to no wait time on all the rides except for Harry Potter all in all it was a much more relaxing day than at Disney. We didn't have any trouble with the BTG and the Brazilian families that we came across where polite.

For those of you who have only had pleasant encounters with the BTG's and Brazilian Families that is awesome. Honestly like in every matter like this a few rude and unruly guest tend to leave a poor impression and reflect badly on the entire group. Unless you have encounter those who have no manners or have had 50 of them cut in line or knock your little children over you probably won't understand and I hope that you never do. Until this trip I always just went the other direction to avoid the crowds and never had any major issues either. January was such a lovely time to go. Beautiful weather, short waits, and empty parks. I know the new Fantasy Land lured larger than usual crowds so who know I may go back in January and stay some place other than Pop and take my chances. :joker:

peyjax said:
Yes it has happened and we have not been back for almost 3 years. It stinks when your happy place stops becoming just that!:guilty: I am sure you will get all kinds of responses like... it is you and not Disney. Perhaps there is a tad truth to that as I became a little too aware of the details and did not like the changes I was seeing.

Like you I love all things Disney. They are good at what they do but they are a company and can do wrong in my book. We just decided to switch gears to Disney Cruise Line and Disneyland. They soon became my happy place. We planned on going to DW this year but to be honest I am having trouble getting excited about it and keep finding myself thinking about other destinations. It is sad because I finally have a girl and she will be at that perfect age, so all that princess stuff would be fun to do but I just keep thinking about crowds, crappy food, overpriced hotels and planning rides 60 days out.:scared1: Perhaps we should wait some more??

Don't forget the crappy generic logo napkins!

Yes it has happened and we have not been back for almost 3 years. It stinks when your happy place stops becoming just that!:guilty: I am sure you will get all kinds of responses like... it is you and not Disney. Perhaps there is a tad truth to that as I became a little too aware of the details and did not like the changes I was seeing.

Like you I love all things Disney. They are good at what they do but they are a company and can do wrong in my book. We just decided to switch gears to Disney Cruise Line and Disneyland. They soon became my happy place. We planned on going to DW this year but to be honest I am having trouble getting excited about it and keep finding myself thinking about other destinations. It is sad because I finally have a girl and she will be at that perfect age, so all that princess stuff would be fun to do but I just keep thinking about crowds, crappy food, overpriced hotels and planning rides 60 days out.:scared1: Perhaps we should wait some more??

I am with you. We too love all things Disney and have been going to WDW multiple times a year since 1998. For a few years it was four times, then we went to two times, then one, and now we are skipping for 2013. Too many changes that we are unsure of. This year our replacement for our Disney trip is 2 weeks at an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean. Ocean front SUITE, all meals and drinks and it is costing us about the same it would cost to stay at the YC with a really good passholder discount in a tiny tiny tiny room - and that is just ROOM not meals or park tickets! No stress about planning, no crowds, no BTG, and a huge staff that wants nothing more than to make us happy. AND we can make dining reservations same day :)

Not saying we will never be back but we need this break to decide what is really best for our family vacations. Watch out Disney - people may start to discover there is more to the world than princesses and 180 day planning,

Like others have suggested, I strongly recommend writing to WDW, particularly about this RFID ticket situation. Guest feedback is going to play a pivotal role in the progression (or digression) of FastPass+ (formerly FASTPASS) and MyMagic+. They really should know about that so they can incorporate that into one of their many solutions.

Anyways, your complaints have been very common among the Disney community recently. I can't tell you how many people I've communicated with recently who said they wouldn't return to WDW in January. I think this Jan. has been significant;y more crowded than expected due to New Fantasyland and what appears to be an increase in South American Tour Groups.

I actually went out of my way and spoke to the survey takers at every park to express my dislike for the fastpass+. I mean seriously who can realistically plan their fastpasses months before their trip. I have small kids and we just go with the flow. I know some people think that it is a great idea but I am not a fan of some of the changes being made at the World.

sadly, i am beginning to agree that the world is losing its charm. Generic refillable mugs--i hate them. I want resort specific mugs again. I have never purchased a generic mug but would purchase (in the past) one from each resort I stayed at--and I don't drink soda or anything but water. I bought them as souvenirs.

the crowds sunday were ridiculous altho they thinned about a bit in the evening and the EMH was pretty good.

A week to WDW is a minimum of $3000 for us and can cost as much as $5k depending on how many go and where we stay. I can go to Hawaii or Europe for the same amount of money.

We will still go to Disney but not as often. my dollar can take me more places where I don't have to be in a crowd of rude, pushy people and i don't have to stand in a line for 50% of my vacation time.

I actually went out of my way and spoke to the survey takers at every park to express my dislike for the fastpass+. I mean seriously who can realistically plan their fastpasses months before their trip. I have small kids and we just go with the flow. I know some people think that it is a great idea but I am not a fan of some of the changes being made at the World.

I agree with you about Fastpass+ I haven't even used it, but when we went in January, I wasn't a big fan of regular FP. It was harder than I expected to get back during the 1 hr. window and we wasted a couple of FPs because our ADR went long, etc. It was nice when it worked out, but with the size of the parks, a bigger window would be nice. I can't imagine planning FPs 60 days out when there are so many things to see along the way. I can't tell you how many times we had a plan and then the kids saw a character they wanted to see or we got waylaid by clowns or someone needed to go to the bathroom RIGHT THEN (I swear, there's something in the queues that makes the kids have to pee. LOL), etc.

We were there the 22nd - 30th and boy are you right about the BTGs all staying at Pop! Luckily for us we never had any problem with them. It did feel more crowded than usual, especially at MK, but we never waited more than 20 minutes for everything. We were at Pooh when it stopped, but a CM told us it was because a guest had dropped something on the ride and they had to shut it down to retrieve it. :rolleyes: We went back later and were able to walk on. We didn't have any trouble with the new turnstiles, but I did see several people have to walk up to the CM's with the handhelds to get let in, that was kind of annoying for them. Hopefully they will work the kinks out and it will flow better soon.

OP I'm sorry your vacation wasn't as magical as it should have been! Sounds like a great reason to go back at a different time of year for a do over! :goodvibes

OMG we were there Jan 25-30 and ended up leaving POP and using our DVC points because of the massive group at POP. I asked to be moved but they weren't overly helpful it took us 2 hours to find another room then it was 25 minutes to talk to bell services and our new room wasn't going to be ready until later that day. We just gave up and used our points instead. Which we booked pop so we didn't have to use the points because they were going to have to be borrowed from the next use year. I explained this to the front desk and they just gave me the card to Disney's Guest Communication Services and told me to have a nice day. They did comp us the remainder of the trip but we had to pay for the one night we stayed. (even though we were up all night because the BTG's were banging on our door and running up and down the halls at 2 am!)The food court was pure chaos! We couldn't even get out mugs filled without waiting in a 20 minute line! Needless to say we will never return to pop.

We went 1/27 - 2/2/13... We expected dramatically higher crowds at MK due to the new FL opening, and MK was busier then I'd expect normally, but the rest of the parks were still great. We pulled FP's for Soarin at 5pm for 8:30, and TT never ran out of FPs for the day. ToT and RRC were walk ons right up until about 1030 on one of the days. We did experience ride closures... Pooh was closed on Friday, but they let us use our FPs for it at PPF with no issues, and RRC closed... In fact, it evacuated and was shut down for several hours... But we were allowed to come back later in the day and use our FPs twice.

The only issues we had, per say, was the BTG's that would break into song in enclosed areas, which was obnoxious, and a herd of them plowed into my 2-year-old, who was with me and holding my hand as we left the bathroom... He was knocked onto his butt, smacked his head off the tile, and we didn't even get a sorry as he was turning blue from crying. But rude guests... That's not really something Disney can do anything about.

Our big fail came when a bus broke down from DTD back to the Poly and we were stuck by the side of the road, while half-empty buses to our resort passed by, for about an hour. No manager came to talk to us, no sort of apology from anybody besides a deeply embarrassed bus driver. And again, at the Poly, when the bus to HS arrived, people swarmed the bus, separating our party. I tried to board about 7 people after my parents and my son, and I was pulled aside and said they couldn't accommodate me with the folded stroller (while they continued to load the bus with others). When I said my party was already on the bus, I was told either they could get off or we could meet up at the park when I took the next bus, but they couldn't fit me and a folded stroller. By this time the bus was full, my parents were standing at the back of the bus and I couldn't communicate with them and they couldn't get off without asking others to get out of their way anyway, so my brother and I took a later bus.

The worst incident was when bell services at the Poly lost my laptop bag, which was supposed to be secured in their cage, while we toured the park one last time. Despite being told they knew it had gone into their luggage room, the bag was gone and missing for about an hour and a half, causing us to miss our ME. It ended up being found in the hotel somewhere and we never got an explanation as to what happened or how it left.

That said, I wrote Disney a letter and we were more then amply compensated for the bus issues, as well as the laptop they mishandled and we're set for a trip back to the Poly or Pop in April/May.

Aside from the circumstances I mentioned as my complaints, which were highly unusual Disney fails and not at all typical, everything else seemed great and I can't say that, even with the ride closures, the issues weren't handled perfectly by the staff. I even got to talk to a Disney employee about the new bracelets and FP+ system, and play with the FastPass+ reservation system, which actually turned me into a believer in the whole system. And I was totally hardcore against the new FP+, to the point where I had anticipated this as our last trip for quite awhile, but it's actually a pretty neat setup. And the bracelets look pretty cool. Though we ended up being there the first day that HS and AK were supposed to use the new system at the giftshops. That was a hassle. You could tell that EPCOT has been doing it for awhile, they were much more streamlined.

We went 1/27 - 2/2/13... We expected dramatically higher crowds at MK due to the new FL opening, and MK was busier then I'd expect normally, but the rest of the parks were still great. We pulled FP's for Soarin at 5pm for 8:30, and TT never ran out of FPs for the day. ToT and RRC were walk ons right up until about 1030 on one of the days. We did experience ride closures... Pooh was closed on Friday, but they let us use our FPs for it at PPF with no issues, and RRC closed... In fact, it evacuated and was shut down for several hours... But we were allowed to come back later in the day and use our FPs twice.

The only issues we had, per say, was the BTG's that would break into song in enclosed areas, which was obnoxious, and a herd of them plowed into my 2-year-old, who was with me and holding my hand as we left the bathroom... He was knocked onto his butt, smacked his head off the tile, and we didn't even get a sorry as he was turning blue from crying. But rude guests... That's not really something Disney can do anything about.

WHAT!?!?! If that happened to my son there would be several BTG members on their butts crying too when I was done with them!

Are there any of these issues in early Dec?? We are going 12/7 - 12/14, staying at AKV and I'm hoping we don't run into these issues.

Please write a letter or email Disney and let them know.

We had a less than Disney vacation in August. Was surprising since it seemed like too many bad things happened on that trip and not typical of Disney vacations we've taken in the past. I wrote them a letter outlining over 10 issues and we got a return call. Bottom line was, they didn't seem too concerned with our issues and "to give them a call to help with the next Disney vacation we book" I told them thanks but after 8 years of coming to Disney at least once every year, and a few years going 3 times a year we were going to vote with our wallets and start going elsewhere for vacation. I doubt they care much about that, but I'm not spending a lot of money to have my Disney vacations get progressively worse.

WHAT!?!?! If that happened to my son there would be several BTG members on their butts crying too when I was done with them!

He was in tears, like gasping for breath, turning blue, getting ready to scream his brains out, gasping, tears (and he's not a crier, at all), and I was by myself as the rest of my party was getting LM FPs, so I didn't have a chance to go kill anybody. He smacked his head right on the tile floors of the bathroom by Pinocchio's VH, so I wasn't so much fixated on them as I was him. If I had somebody else in my party with me, it would have turned into something. These girls literally blew in at a full run while turning a corner and just annihilated him. And like I said, he's a rugged kid (youngest of 3, all boys), he doesn't cry when he takes a hit... I had that panic moment of "is he crying because he's hurt or crying because he's scared/embarrassed?" After they were in the bathroom, I had no idea where they went.

Are there any of these issues in early Dec?? We are going 12/7 - 12/14, staying at AKV and I'm hoping we don't run into these issues.

Jerks travel to Disney at all times of the year, unfortunately. If we knew when they were most concentrated at the park...

That window tends to be less busy, less tour groups, but with the opening schedule of stuff around FL at the time, along with variables like LTM, who knows for sure. I wouldn't worry to overly much. And I only mention the LTM variable because, while we were there, the LTM was football/Superbowl related so there was an extra parade and the marchers were visiting schools/cheerleaders/football players/bands, so we had a higher concentration of pre-teen/teen groups touring the park.

Just out of curiosity, but why do so many people who have sworn off future Disney trips hang out in the Disney theme park trip planning forum?

Just out of curiosity, but why do so many people who have sworn off future Disney trips hang out in the Disney theme park trip planning forum?

...has anyone in this topic thread sworn off future Disney trips? A couple of people said they go less often and a few said they switched the time of year they go and one said they have being going on the Disney Cruise and going to Disneyland instead of Disney World. I read the whole thread and I don't think anyone said they will never return to a Disney theme park.

Speaking as someone who is taking a break from Disney this year, I review these boards as a way to find out what is changing and how it is impacting vacations. For example, I will monitor threads about the new fast pass and see if it really means I will have to schedule my attractions months out. I monitor to see if there are improvements in dining (variety, quality, availability). Is unique merchandise coming back or are all the shops filled with the same cheap junk, are staffing levels coming back up so that the level of service I had come to expect returns, etc...

I won't mind paying the every increasing prices if I feel I will get the quality of vacation that my family has come to expect. Right now I don't feel that we will. I am hoping that will change

I appreciate all the information I get here. I do not like being so bitter about Disney these days because we loved it so much for 25 years. We will see how this year goes. We have two vacations planned so far, neither Disney. We will see if we come back in 2014.

:stir::stir:Have been to WDW at least 10 times over the last month. We have encountered BTG frequently. My wife and I both commented that they were much better behaved than in years past. We have encountered no line cutting, loud behavior or anything even approaching poor behavior.
Wait, your telling us that the BTR told you that they were going to be rude. GMAB!:rolleyes2:

We were there 1/22 - 1/29 and didn't experience a single issue that the OP had. We rode Dumbo twice with no wait (arrived early a.m.) and ate at BOG for lunch with a 30 minute wait. No rides broke down and in fact, only one continuous-loader stopped for a half-minute during our entire stay (I think it was Spaceship Earth).

We saw Fantasmic with 4000 of our closest South American friends, and they were all just normal families like us. We saw many tour guides with flags, but again, they were not unsupervised groups of rude teens - just large family type groups who seemed to be enjoying a nice vacation. We also saw groups of young teen girls from some dance competition but they were all well-behaved too. Of course we ran into a few rude people but I don't think their nationality was a factor (and the horrible lady on the bus was undoubtedly an ugly American).

The crowds were a lot heavier than I expected, which I guess is good for Disney. We are pros so we handled the crowds easily by arriving early, using FP wisely and leaving for a different park in the afternoon.

I would not hesitate to go again this time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter