What's considered "breaking in line" on an ECV and what's okay?

Deanna404

Earning My Ears
In another thread, a poster wrote that someone on an ECV had made them angry. The poster said the ECV rider should "wait in the line until the handicap pull-off lane" and "she thought she could just drive by everyone and even drove under the ropes into a cast member only area to try to get ahead of everyone in line."

I am definitely not advocating driving under the ropes or into a CM only area. But I don't remember seeing a "handicap pull-off lane". (The poster was referring specifically to the bus stop at Pop.) All I remember seeing is an ECV space next to the front of the line at each bus stop just outside the parks.

This will be my first visit to WDW with an ECV. What is the correct etiquette for approaching the bus stop, and where do you wait? Do you ride your ECV through the existing line, and then get into the ECV space when you get to the front of the line? Or do you go directly to the ECV space?

That person was misinformed about wheelchair/ECV protocol. Folks with mobility devices get first dibs for bus entry because they have to be loaded up the ramp and secured in designated spots. That won’t work with a bus load of people on it already. The drivers all know this protocol and will keep the front bus doors closed until the chairs are loaded, but they have to be able to see them first. That’s why there are designated handicapped areas to wait at the front of the bus lines. The good news for that poster is that they will get off the bus first before the chairs are unloaded.

In another thread, a poster wrote that someone on an ECV had made them angry. The poster said the ECV rider should "wait in the line until the handicap pull-off lane" and "she thought she could just drive by everyone and even drove under the ropes into a cast member only area to try to get ahead of everyone in line."

I am definitely not advocating driving under the ropes or into a CM only area. But I don't remember seeing a "handicap pull-off lane". (The poster was referring specifically to the bus stop at Pop.) All I remember seeing is an ECV space next to the front of the line at each bus stop just outside the parks.

This will be my first visit to WDW with an ECV. What is the correct etiquette for approaching the bus stop, and where do you wait? Do you ride your ECV through the existing line, and then get into the ECV space when you get to the front of the line? Or do you go directly to the ECV space?

I'll be honest - I haven't been to POP in a while; not since I was still ambulatory. Maybe our @RaySharpton will come along and can explain the POP queue situation better.

But - I do agree with Miss @Jecca above. It sounds like the person was an experienced mobility device user, who knew exactly where to go to be in the "box" that is where folks on wheels are supposed to park to be visible to the driver of the bus.

There are some queues where it's actually just about as easy to drive around the end of the queue area, and wait in the marked spot on the little "apron" that is between the (parked) bus and the queue.

There are some - thinking now of the new depot at Disney Springs - where there is an actual HA "lane" that is part of the queue, and it is designed so that as you move through the queue "organically" you pull off into that area to wait if you are using a mobility device.

The problem with that kind of queue is that it means there could be someone who would have been able to ride the bus, but they couldn't reach the HA area before the bus started to load, and so they then had to wait for the next bus. Some folks will try to overcome that issue by end-running around the queue to wait in front where they are visible to the driver.

At POFQ, for example, there is a single "spot" that is a white box outlined on the ground at each of the 2 stops. The first person in a device parks in that spot, and if you arrive after that, you can line up after them (providing it's not too crowded). The idea is that the bus will park with the back doors lined up on that "spot". Doesn't always happen, but it's usually close enough. Once everyone on the bus has exited, the driver will close the front doors, "kneel" the bus, open the back doors, deploy the ramp, and load any device(s). Once the loading is done, the ramp is retracted, the bus is "un-kneeled" the back doors are closed, and then the driver will go to the front, and open the doors again.

If you can let us know what Resort you are staying at, we can maybe give you more specifics about how things work at that Resort.

And now... Here's a few tips for a first-time ECV driver:

Who to rent from is very subjective. I recommend CALLING and talking to several companies, and see which one you like best. Currently, a lot of folks around here are having good success renting from Gold, however that is *not* an endorsement - just information! :)

Some people like practicing your ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. If you can tame one of those wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze! Having said that, do set aside the time when you first get your rental to practice at the Resort (or somewhere outside the Parks) to familiarize yourself with how it stops, turns, etc. I recommend Disney Springs or a Disney Resort, simply because you can "practice" going through shops, food service venues, there are ramps and curb cuts to practice, along with ample open space to get used to backing up (a skill that is important, and often overlooked). And last but not least - there are buses. (more about those later) :)

One of the first things you will notice about your rental is that it will (typically) have a "turtle" and a "rabbit" on the speed dial. "Turtle" speed is slowest and "Rabbit" speed is fastest - but some scooters do have a bit of "turtle" or "rabbit" beyond the indicated range, so experiment with speed control as well. Remember that Disney World does have a "speed limit" for personal mobility devices that is loosely defined as "walking speed". Obviously, some folks walk faster or slower than others, so the general rule of thumb is that you try to go about the speed that everyone around you is going, and when in doubt, slow down. :)

Please remember that WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. One device, one rider. Period. (Our daughter says "One seat, one butt LOL) Do not carry infants or children on your lap, or let adults ride (either by standing on the "running board" or sitting on the armrest, etc.) The danger to yourself and others is very real.

Bring a brightly colored scarf, length of grosgrain ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit). Some folks really decorate their rentals! :)

You will have to park the ECV in your room every night to charge it, so if you need to make a bit of space, ask for the table and chairs to be removed at the front desk of your Disney Resort Hotel. Do not park it outside in a hallway or breezeway, or down at the lobby or bell services. (Pro tip: go directly to the front desk to ask for the table & chairs to be moved - don't call the "Front Desk" from the room phone, as that call goes to a Call Center for the Resorts, and not the Front Desk of the hotel you are at)

If the scooter has a key, always take it with you when you park it.

You can most certainly "park and walk" - many folks here do just that. They will find a central location to park in (again, any Cast Member can point you to a good, safe spot to park in) and then you can move it to the next area when you are ready.

Don't be surprised if you park the ECV to go on a ride, or attraction, and it is moved when you return. The Cast Members are in a constant struggle to keep walkways clear and safe, as well as making sure that parking areas for mobility devices and strollers stay reasonably tidy. You will typically find it quite nearby, but if you don't, just ask any CM you see, and they will help you find it. (And that's another reason to put a ribbon or bandana on your rental - it makes it easy to find!)

Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving! I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed, but know that you WILL at some point find yourself nearly running over someone who is either texting, taking a "selfie" or posting their latest selfie to Instagram. Children, who do not yet fully grasp all of the nuances of physics, are especially prone to running out in front of an ECV; they don't realize that most ECVs can't just stop instantly. I try to build a "bubble" in front of me (if I can) by leaving a space, and adjusting my rate of travel, so that I can more easily spot those folks who look like they might pop right out in front of me.

It's true: probably the hardest thing you will do with the ECV all revolves around dealing with the buses, boats & monorails. Just FYI - IT'S NOT THAT HARD! Make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. (The exception to this is at the Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds, where there are not any white painted rectangles at the internal Resort stops for all of the Loops.)

Just to ease your mind, the drivers (and Boat Captains and Monorail CMs) will all do their best to help you, and coach you with loading/unloading. They are all patient, and quite used to "newbies" - so just let them know it's your first time driving an ECV, and they will help you as best they can :)

When the ramp comes down, try to be pointed straight at the base of the ramp, and go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. Important to know: the drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus. You will always board first, and exit last. Your family can walk up the ramp and board behind you. Also good to know: the bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* your ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

You can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and there, the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the portable ramp they will use for you at the Monorail stations. The loading/unloading procedure is actually fairly similar everywhere - you will almost always load first, and exit last.

Finally, a few quick driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time going up steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at a 90 degree angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped on to Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

ECVs run on electrically recharged batteries. So, to finish this whole thing up, let's talk for a minute about how to get the most battery life out of your rental while at WDW.

Your rental *should* be delivered with a fully-charged battery. The only time I would allow an exception for this is if it was a late-evening rental, and you weren't planning on going anywhere but to your room, and to sleep!

#1 is to make sure that the battery(s) is/are charged fully prior to leaving for the Parks every morning. Start the day with a fully charged battery, and you should be fine.

Anytime you are stopped for more than - let's just say 10 seconds (no, I'm not exaggerating) - turn off your scooter. Especially when waiting in lines, watching a show or parade, if you are stopped in a store to look at something, or if you are going on a ride, eating a meal, talking to a CM, looking at a map... turn it off! :) This is especially true for when you are riding buses, boats, or the monorail. Essentially, if you would be standing still if you were walking... turn it off. There's no negative effect to the battery for turning it on and off, and if you are Rope Drop to Kiss Goodnight, you will want to monitor your battery usage aggressively.

Don't use the headlight in the daytime. It won't give that much additional visibility, and it will drain the battery faster. Some folks don't even use the headlight at night. On my personal ECV, I have a bicycle lighting system that is self-contained and rechargeable so it doesn't pull from my ECV battery. The only time I tend to use the headlights/taillights is at night, between the Park entrance and the buses, just for an extra bit of visibility.

If you have any other questions, just ask, and we will be glad to help you with the answers! :)

I read that post also and kind of freaked out a bit. No one bothered to correct them in that thread so I was worried that we did it all wrong last year with my relative who was using an ECV.

We were not told that the ECV user had to wait in line and then move over to the handicapped spot. If a cast member was at the bus line, they always directed them immediately into the handicapped space and, yes, it did cause us to get ahead of people who had been standing in the regular line. But I thought that was the protocol.

It's tough when people don't understand what the Disney protocol is and then you get the dirty looks.

Yes they are allowed to. No that person shouldn’t have pushed ahead without a CM involved. That exact behavior is why the uniformed are so soured fo ECV use at Disney.

Yes they are allowed to. No that person shouldn’t have pushed ahead without a CM involved. That exact behavior is why the uniformed are so soured fo ECV use at Disney.

wait which person shouldn't have pushed ahead?

There is another line all together for ECV there is no ( beside one witch I will get too) tension why an ECV user should be in the normal line for a bus. The line should be at one end if the cut back and there should be a handicap box that you wait in or be hind the ECV user infront of you. The only time that an ECV will wait in the normal bus line is at the end of the night at the MK when there are very long lines to get back to your resort ( I am talking 5+ bus full of people) there will be CM their directing people on where to form a line and close to the front you will be pulled out of line by another CM and told where to wait.

That person was misinformed about wheelchair/ECV protocol. Folks with mobility devices get first dibs for bus entry because they have to be loaded up the ramp and secured in designated spots. That won’t work with a bus load of people on it already. The drivers all know this protocol and will keep the front bus doors closed until the chairs are loaded, but they have to be able to see them first. That’s why there are designated handicapped areas to wait at the front of the bus lines. The good news for that poster is that they will get off the bus first before the chairs are unloaded.

They don't have the pull out part at MK bus stops anymore? When we were last there (over a year ago) all mobility devices got in the regular bus queue until they got to the area that was designated as the access to the HC gate. This works well, especially at closing when the queues are really long (like 2-3 bus fulls long) as it keeps the line moving. If a person in a mobility device pulls up when there are already 2-3 busloads of people waiting, it just makes sense that they wait until those people get on a bus, right?

We stay at Pop a lot lately but the last time was last August. There was definitely a separate "box" for those using ECV's or WC's or had mobility issues and needed the ramp to wait. To get to it you did not need to go through any CM only area or go under any ropes. Sometimes there has been more than 2 people waiting so in that case a small line forms. At least for that bus stop last year there were two separate waiting areas to get a bus for each park.

The only time I've experienced taking the ECV in line was at the MK - then they pulled me out of the line at some point and had me wait in a separate spot for the bus. I didn't do that at Disney Springs but there also were very few people waiting for the bus so maybe I just don't remember...I do remember being uncertain about where to go though - lol! I don't see how at Pop that an ECV user went under ropes and such - which would be hard in any case - who knows? Maybe the person saw how the que at the MK worked with ECVs in the regular line and thought it was supposed to work that way everywhere? Assuming that there haven't been changes to the Pop bus stops....

At POP when boarding a bus, there is a separate area with markings on pavement for ECV. You wait in that area. Up to five guests that are with the ECV rider may wait in this area. When the bus arrives, the ECV is driven on to the bus (While empty), once the ECV is loaded, if a second one is waiting it is loaded, followed by their guests. Then the driver opens the door for guests in line start boarding the bus.

It is important to note, that the EVC must be waiting in the approved spot when the bus is approaching. The bus driver usually acknowledges me with a nod and I nod back. If the ECV is not waiting, but "running" to catch that bus, (I\we) must wait for the next bus (understansably).

guests who are in the regular line, who aren't familiar with this procedure, sometimes get upset. It is,a safety issue to board ECV s first. When unloading the bus will completely unload and then only the family members and ECV users will be unloaded.

At the parks, if immediately at park closing. Two years ago, cast members had family members wait in regular lines and ECV s at the handicapped area. What was happening is,a bus would pull up and regular line guests would load bus. Then they would come across family members waiting for the ECV. They were moved aside for the next bus. Not a problem. Then next bus would come and a different cast member would start loading regular guests and overlook the guests on the side, then after the line was clear, they would let the people on the side again enter the bus (possibly thinking they were trying to cut the line), except no way to get the ecv on the bus.

This went on several times (lots of people leaving the parks). So what was left, a line of ECV s and a line of family\guests associated with ECV user. Transportation department then had to send more buses out. Why, each bus can only accommodate two ECVs.

I was one of the ECV users. The first in line, actually!!

So last year, when we went. We stayed in the parks to allow the parks to clear out a little. We enjoyed our time in the park (rather than spend time in the bus line). More enjoyable and the bus was less crowded. No problems with loading an ECV.

Bring a brightly colored scarf, length of grosgrain ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit). Some folks really decorate their rentals! :)
I like to "slipcover" the back of the seat with a bright t-shirt, knotted around the support post to make it difficult to remove.

Google is your friend...

Some pictures of the bus waiting area at Pop.

You can see the wheelchair/ECV waiting area with its white box on the ground (which has the wheelchair symbol in it) and its yellow line [behind the "boarding the bus" sign] to stop behind and wait.

You can see an ECV user waiting in that area in one of the pictures. That one is good because it shows how the standing people are waiting at where the front of the bus will be and the ECV user and their party member is waiting at the other end of the bus.

https://diz-abled.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Pop-Century-resort-bus-stop-400px.jpg
https://blog.disneygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/20161212_085833_wm.jpg
And for good measure one of All Star Movies. Again you can see the box, the symbol, the sign, and the yellow waiting line.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/07/a0/7c/d0/disney-s-all-star-movies.jpg

Thank you so much everyone for weighing in! And thank you also for all of the helpful hints! I'm feeling much better about getting around on an ECV now.

Once time the bus driver had to get out of the bus at a stop that I was waiting at to check something. He left the front door open as he was right outside that door, and a few people jumped on board and sat right in front of where the ecv designated spot is. Then he had me load. Those people did not move an inch, except to move their toes back a bit. So rude to not wait for the driver to tell them to load! The driver did manage to have the rest of the crowd wait, but I wish he had told those that boarded to get off.

Once time the bus driver had to get out of the bus at a stop that I was waiting at to check something. He left the front door open as he was right outside that door, and a few people jumped on board and sat right in front of where the ecv designated spot is. Then he had me load. Those people did not move an inch, except to move their toes back a bit. So rude to not wait for the driver to tell them to load! The driver did manage to have the rest of the crowd wait, but I wish he had told those that boarded to get off.

This is where you use that extra wide turn. Just to make sure you get lined up correctly. Given the choice between bruised toes and possible damage to my chair because it is out of alignment with the tie downs, I’ll take the bruised toes.

We mostly stay at resorts with no roped off queue and a white box in the middle of the stop, so I just go in there to wait. Nearly every time we've gone to a park/DS bus stop and there's been a separate area for scooters, if it's open I just go straight into it. Sometimes I have to join the main queue but instead of feeding right to the front, I stop in front of the opening gate ready to load the bus, and just move out of the way so people can continue going past me to the front of the queue.

Apart from the first time at MK where it took 5 buses before we were near enough to the front to be pulled out and put into the wheelchair section ready to be boarded first for the next bus, the only other time that has happened is leaving HS one night. There was a 'know all' guy who wouldn't let me pass to get to the run off, so I stayed where I was. The driver must have seen me 2 rows back because when the bus came and I knew there was nearly a full bus load of people in front of me I fully expected to wait until the next bus, and said to my daughter next to me that we wouldn't get on this one. However, he caught my eye and motioned me to come forward to board. Mr Know All wouldn't let me pass, though.

Then someone said there was a girl in a wheelchair ahead of me (it was all so confused). She immediately jumped out of the chair that had been left in the corner and said, "Oh, no! I'm just resting" and moved to let me past. Mr Know All STILL wouldn't let me past though, and in the end I just shouted "Get out of my bloody way!!" Finally he moved. All he did was hold everyone up.

But I always take my leave from what the queue areas look like - or where someone monitoring the stops tells me to stop. A couple of times I've actually been directed to come back out of the queue and sit to the left of the run off so I can be ready to drive to the bus when it came.

I'll be honest - I haven't been to POP in a while; not since I was still ambulatory. Maybe our @RaySharpton will come along and can explain the POP queue situation better.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

Pop has boxes at each bus stop area. Only places I know that have you go through the line are Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Downtown Disney. I really hate this as you tend to have to wait for a second bus every time. It really is not equal access for all but is privileged access for the able bodied since once they start loading them they do not load wheelchairs, scooters and power wheelchairs.

There are no brakes on scooters or powered wheelchairs. When you release the power it stops but it still has some movement. It is not an instant stop like a brake system.

And stop calling them ECVs as this infers they are a convenience. They definitely are not a convenience.

Pop has boxes at each bus stop area. Only places I know that have you go through the line are Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Downtown Disney. I really hate this as you tend to have to wait for a second bus every time. It really is not equal access for all but is privileged access for the able bodied since once they start loading them they do not load wheelchairs, scooters and power wheelchairs.

There are no brakes on scooters or powered wheelchairs. When you release the power it stops but it still has some movement. It is not an instant stop like a brake system.

And stop calling them ECVs as this infers they are a convenience. They definitely are not a convenience.

At MK, at least, there's a full busload of people ahead of you in the queue before you reach the HC gate.

Oh and BTW, ECV stands for "Electric Conveyance Vehicle "

At MK, at least, there's a full busload of people ahead of you in the queue before you reach the HC gate.

Oh and BTW, ECV stands for "Electric Conveyance Vehicle "
Yes for the value resorts at the end of the night there could be 4+ buss loads of people waiting. The way they do the everyone waits in one line untill closer to the front makes it equally for all. Way would a someone not in a mobility device have to wait for 4 buss while the person in a mobility device get on right away

when using an ECV if I am in the mainstream line and I get to the [ull out I will be staying in line because if I have to wait in line no one should be able to cut in front of me.so will be getting a manager as it is just as unfair to cut in front of me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter