• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's considered "breaking in line" on an ECV and what's okay?

I do not think the resorts do this I will know soon enough but I think it is just MK and maybe EPCOT

That’s why I inserted the qualifier in my comment. I know Disney has been running this at MK for at least a while. I have not experienced it at the value resorts myself, but it sounded like previous posters had so I wanted to acknowledge that had been mentioned above.

That’s why I inserted the qualifier in my comment. I know Disney has been running this at MK for at least a while. I have not experienced it at the value resorts myself, but it sounded like previous posters had so I wanted to acknowledge that had been mentioned above.
I was just pointing out that I have not seen this done at the resort end of it

I think that was a misunderstanding. The OP said it was a bus stop at Pop, but it was the bus stop for Pop at Epcot. I've only ever seen separate lines at the value resorts themselves, even when the queues are overflowing (the main queues there are so narrow I don't think you could drive an ECV through).

Does anyone know how ECV's will work on Skyliner? Will ECV's be loaded and secured the same way as buses or will guests need to transfer out of ECV to ride Skyliner?

It is expected that ECVs and wheelchairs will be loaded/unloaded in a separate "pull-off" area where the cars will be stopped for loading/unloading at all stations except Riviera. The process for loading/unloading mobility devices at Riviera is unknown at this point.

I do not expect they will be tied down, nor is there requirement to transfer. Each Skyliner car has 2 benches which can be folded up. One bench will be folded to allow for ECVs, wheelchairs, probably even strollers - with other passengers using the remaining bench.

This thread has bumped to the 2nd page, but has a lot of discussion about accessibility for the Skyliner. There is also the main Skyliner thread on the Rumors & News forum.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don't mind "waiting my turn"--But my recollection is that the pull-out area isn't until the end of the first row--so many people will be able to load after me if I wait in line and go in the pull-out when I approach it. Like the previous poster, I guess I will be ok with being the first to board on the next bus, but it certainly isn't "equal" access (especially if I am traveling with a group who generally refuse to leave me--they would likely be able to board with the other non-HA guests except for the fact they are waiting for me to be boarded). When I am by myself I try to come and go at "off" times to avoid these types of situations. Lots of times when I pulled up there would only be five or six people waiting so pulling into the pull-out was no problem. Technically I get on "before" those 5 or 6 people but there is no question they will be getting on.

I think the mainstreaming of ECVs in the busy MK and Epcot lines works ok - I've personally not had a problem. However I did notice in our trip a couple of weeks ago that one evening leaving Epcot after fireworks the lines to get on the bus at both the Pop and AoA stops (next to each other) were massively long - and no busses came for probably 15 mins making them just the longest lines I've ever seen for a bus. Finally some transportation people came and then busses started coming one after another. By the time I got to the pull off spot there was maybe 4 chairs in front of me - I had to wait for the 3rd bus. However by the time I got ready to board there was a line of ECV's behind me about 10 deep - it was nuts! Those people were going to have to wait a really long time to board as an ECV user. I guess they wouldn't have gotten on any faster since each bus can only take 2 and every bus loaded 2 (no busses were leaving without having 2 ECV's loaded).

One evening after fireworks leaving the MK I had an ECV user literally speed around me and my friend (going full speed) and cut in front of us at the very last second before I got to the end of the line which was so long it had ended up outside the metal gated spot. I mean like we were a few feet from the end of the line. To top it off her friend in an ECV was somewhere behind her and actually rammed into my ECV trying to go through ahead of me in order to catch up to her. I was dumbfounded at her especially - never had someone hit me on purpose! Eventually they sped off together (full speed!!) to another line because I guess they thought they'd gotten in the wrong que but they later came back and ended up behind me in the line - deservedly so. They were so dumb it was kinda funny but it really makes you wonder what goes through people's heads when they do stuff like this....on purpose.

I generally won't stay for fireworks anymore - lol! It's just a nuthouse getting back.

I think the mainstreaming of ECVs in the busy MK and Epcot lines works ok - I've personally not had a problem. However I did notice in our trip a couple of weeks ago that one evening leaving Epcot after fireworks the lines to get on the bus at both the Pop and AoA stops (next to each other) were massively long - and no busses came for probably 15 mins making them just the longest lines I've ever seen for a bus. Finally some transportation people came and then busses started coming one after another. By the time I got to the pull off spot there was maybe 4 chairs in front of me - I had to wait for the 3rd bus. However by the time I got ready to board there was a line of ECV's behind me about 10 deep - it was nuts! Those people were going to have to wait a really long time to board as an ECV user. I guess they wouldn't have gotten on any faster since each bus can only take 2 and every bus loaded 2 (no busses were leaving without having 2 ECV's loaded).

One evening after fireworks leaving the MK I had an ECV user literally speed around me and my friend (going full speed) and cut in front of us at the very last second before I got to the end of the line which was so long it had ended up outside the metal gated spot. I mean like we were a few feet from the end of the line. To top it off her friend in an ECV was somewhere behind her and actually rammed into my ECV trying to go through ahead of me in order to catch up to her. I was dumbfounded at her especially - never had someone hit me on purpose! Eventually they sped off together (full speed!!) to another line because I guess they thought they'd gotten in the wrong que but they later came back and ended up behind me in the line - deservedly so. They were so dumb it was kinda funny but it really makes you wonder what goes through people's heads when they do stuff like this....on purpose.

I generally won't stay for fireworks anymore - lol! It's just a nuthouse getting back.
I did the After Fireworks Dessert Party and it worked out great--after the party there were very few people in line for the bus. (However, the bus driver "didn't see me" waiting in the pull-off and loaded people before me so I couldn't get on the bus. Claimed that I pulled up after he did. Only problem was--the CM who was helping people at the bus area had told me to pull into the pull off spot about five minutes before the bus got there so she KNEW I was already there and he was lying. A lead/manager came and basically shrugged his shoulders and said "it happens." They were very nice--but I was more incensed that the guy lied. The lead/manager said the bus driver would be talked to but who knows what happened. ETA: there were only about 8 people in line so everyone who was there would have gotten on and gotten a seat even if I had been loaded.)

I’m generally pretty easy going, but I think I would have pushed harder in that situation. Once the supervisor / load coordinator got involved I would have at least asked for the drivers name and bus number to follow up. Though it’s real easy to not think of things like that in the moment. I know I’ve realized after the fact that I should have asked more questions many times.

Wait. With eight people on the bus, he couldn't board you? Why the H not????
Because they were all sitting right in the area where the scooter would load. I know. That's why I was so annoyed. And by the time the CM who was working the bus stop ran over and told him I was there more people had loaded (you know how people can see the bus is there and come running?) ETA: he basically stood at the back door and looked over and shrugged his shoulders. Not a great response.

I’m generally pretty easy going, but I think I would have pushed harder in that situation. Once the supervisor / load coordinator got involved I would have at least asked for the drivers name and bus number to follow up. Though it’s real easy to not think of things like that in the moment. I know I’ve realized after the fact that I should have asked more questions many times.
Who would you have followed up with though? I was talking to (what I assumed to be) the shift "boss". He knew which bus and who the driver was. He said it would be discussed at the end of the shift. What more could I have asked for? They did call for another bus and one came within a few minutes.

But seriously--what would they have done at that point? I didn't want "compensation." I got on a bus a few minutes later. It was reported to a manager. I just don't think holding on to the anger or telling numerous people the story at Disney would have been beneficial. I chose to trust that the lead/manager I did talk to would follow through.

If I stay to the end of the night, I usually try to take advantage of the hour after "park closing" for the throngs to make their way to the buses. I'll look in the shops, take pictures, etc. Usually by the time that I "roll-up", I don't have to bother with the queue and just go directly to the "box".

One night at HS (a few years ago), as I was approaching the resort bus stop, the line was overflowing and had one person in an ECV already in the box. When I saw that, I immediately went into "turtle-mode". By the time that I got up to the queue, it was too late to load me. Every single person crammed into that bus like a bunch of sardines. The next bus arrived about 10 minutes later and I had my own personal bus back to my resort.

But seriously--what would they have done at that point? I didn't want "compensation." I got on a bus a few minutes later. It was reported to a manager. I just don't think holding on to the anger or telling numerous people the story at Disney would have been beneficial. I chose to trust that the lead/manager I did talk to would follow through.

The point of following up with a more formal complaint is not compensation. It’s to keep the issue in people’s minds and so that it can be a teaching moment. So that hopefully in this case drivers will be reminded to be more watchful for riders with disabilities. In most cases issues like this happen because disability related issues simply are not on most people’s minds. The goal is for the resolution to be more than a “Well be more careful” conversation between 2 people.

I don't know everyone else's experiences but my experience in making a more formal complaint hasn't been good. I've also noticed that if you ask questions you either get back a vague ambiguous email response OR they call and "may" leave a message. My most recent experience (asking about using a cable and lock to secure my backpack to the scooter--a CM at screening twice told me they were not allowed) was they left a message for me telling it was acceptable. (No other CM at any other park had raised an issue--just this one CM at Epcot that I happened to get twice). I have not deleted that message. If I have another bus incident based on comments here I will send a formal complaint. Hopefully there is not a "next time."

I don't know everyone else's experiences but my experience in making a more formal complaint hasn't been good. I've also noticed that if you ask questions you either get back a vague ambiguous email response OR they call and "may" leave a message. My most recent experience (asking about using a cable and lock to secure my backpack to the scooter--a CM at screening twice told me they were not allowed) was they left a message for me telling it was acceptable. (No other CM at any other park had raised an issue--just this one CM at Epcot that I happened to get twice). I have not deleted that message. If I have another bus incident based on comments here I will send a formal complaint. Hopefully there is not a "next time."

Re: the cable lock for securing (anything) to a scooter - remember that Disney has a policy that prohibits locking a stroller, mobility device or anything to any part of Disney property. It's meant to discourage people from (for example) cable locking a stroller to a spot at the World Showcase fenceline overlooking the lake to "save" a place for fireworks, or locking an ECV to a fence, bench, or pole at MK to reserve a spot for the parade. It also presents a safety hazard if they need to move something, and it's "chained" to a fencepost or structure.

So, security probably saw that as an attempt to bring in a prohibited item, regardless of intended use. (see the rules, which states under "Prohibited Items", second bullet point, that no "restraining devices" may be brought into the Parks)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter