• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's considered "breaking in line" on an ECV and what's okay?

when using an ECV if I am in the mainstream line and I get to the [ull out I will be staying in line because if I have to wait in line no one should be able to cut in front of me.so will be getting a manager as it is just as unfair to cut in front of me
I guess you have never been at the MK when they do have mobility device start in the main line and pull them out when they are 1-1 1/2 buss back and then they load first on the next bus they do not make mobility device wait the whole time in the line. And they only do this at the end of the night when everyone wait at lest 4 bus full of people if not more

@Betty Rohrer While I don't agree in principle with the idea of the pull out partway through the mainstreamed queue, I understand why it is done, and I feel like WDW has handled it in the best possible way.

At the 3 locations where this is currently the "norm", the reason they have the pull out when you round the bend to the last section of the queue before boarding is, because that way, you are loaded before other passengers (as is the norm) but will still ride with the same group of passengers that you have been waiting in line with.

It isn't really an "advantage" or cutting the line per se because you would be boarded on that bus anyway, but by having the gate to allow for pre-boarding of mobility devices, it lets the driver load those passengers using mobility devices more safely and quicker than if they had to stop boarding the bus partway through, and potentially ask riders who have already taken seats to move (and thereby risk upsetting a Guest who is now displaced from their seat)

In a perfect world, everyone would wait in line as they arrived at the line, and you got on the bus when you got on the bus. The reality of how the buses have to tie down mobility devices for safety, however, means that if I - a Guest who uses a mobility device - rolled up as the last person to board the bus, the driver might have to move as many as a half-dozen standing Guests out of the way (not to mention possibly "unseating" at least 3 other Guests to flip up the seat to make room for my device) then board me on my device, tie it down, and then make sure that everyone was on back on board prior to departure. It would be much more chaotic, it would be slower to load me and my device (because it is crowded with people, and so it will take longer) and there will inevitably be someone who is upset because... ECV.

when using an ECV if I am in the mainstream line and I get to the [ull out I will be staying in line because if I have to wait in line no one should be able to cut in front of me.so will be getting a manager as it is just as unfair to cut in front of me

When a guest using a mobility device goes right to the designated spot, aren't they cutting every other person that's already in the queue though? Why is it okay one way, and not the other? You say it is just as unfair, yet decide to do it? Unless you are first in the queue to start with, then every single time an ECV gets on first, they are cutting. That's why I like the MK queues when it is crazy-busy, as there's a whole busload of people who get on before the ECV user, as it should be. The ECV user gets a guaranteed spot on the next bus (unless there's 2 ECVs already there). Think of it this way - how many people have to wait for the next bus, already waiting in the queue when a guest on an ECV pulls up? The folded up bench is a 3 seater, then the seat the ECV user should sit in, then the floor space the ECV takes up, so 6-7 people could have fit on. I think ECVs and wheelchairs should definitely get loaded before other guests get on. It makes loading safer and faster. But I don't think they should get loaded when there's a bus load of people already there when they arrive, KWIM?

When a guest using a mobility device goes right to the designated spot, aren't they cutting every other person that's already in the queue though? Why is it okay one way, and not the other? You say it is just as unfair, yet decide to do it? Unless you are first in the queue to start with, then every single time an ECV gets on first, they are cutting. That's why I like the MK queues when it is crazy-busy, as there's a whole busload of people who get on before the ECV user, as it should be. The ECV user gets a guaranteed spot on the next bus (unless there's 2 ECVs already there). Think of it this way - how many people have to wait for the next bus, already waiting in the queue when a guest on an ECV pulls up? The folded up bench is a 3 seater, then the seat the ECV user should sit in, then the floor space the ECV takes up, so 6-7 people could have fit on. I think ECVs and wheelchairs should definitely get loaded before other guests get on. It makes loading safer and faster. But I don't think they should get loaded when there's a bus load of people already there when they arrive, KWIM?

If you're already at the pull-off gate with no-one behind you, then it's only right you get on first, as everyone else who is ahead of you in the queue will be on your bus. Saying they should load everyone who's ahead of you just because you're in a mobility device and they're not is saying you have to wait at least 20 minutes and wait for the next bus, even if there are effectively people behind you who then end up passing you when you're waiting at the gate. How can that be fair? Most of the time when we get to the bus stop at the parks or DS we find that a bus has recently just gone and there are very few people waiting. It's worse when the only people who are waiting are a scooter or two, because then not only do you have to wait for the next bus - but the one after that as well as the first one can only take two scooters. Using your scenario, even if I've arrived at an empty queuing area, if people then start to join the queue and effectively go ahead of me and then fill up behind me into the second row, they all get to go on first because they're at the front of the queue. You simply can't police queues in this fashion. It's not an exact science.

There was one time when we were staying at AoA back in March 2015 when we arrived at the bus stop while they were busy loading. I turned to my hubby and daughter and said, "We'll have to get the next one as they're already loading people." I then watched as he stopped people boarding and closed the doors. I thought this meant it was full but I then saw him move people down the bus and the beeping started as he began to lower the side of the bus. I told hubby to go and tell him not to and that we'd wait for the next bus. A couple of minutes later he opened the door to lower the ramp, at which time I said, "No, we'll wait." "Are you sure?" he asked. "Yes, we've only just got here." It was at this point that he told us someone earlier that same morning had INSISTED he load her onto a nearly full bus even though they arrived late! How rude is that?! Anyway, he thanked me, shut everything back up and then proceeded to get another dozen people onto the bus. As it happened, the next bus was sat there waiting literally 10 feet away, and as soon as he pulled out, it pulled in. So, naturally I was loaded first. However, because people in the queue had seen me refuse to go on that first bus, I got a lot of 'Brownie points' as a result.

If you're already at the pull-off gate with no-one behind you, then it's only right you get on first, as everyone else who is ahead of you in the queue will be on your bus. Saying they should load everyone who's ahead of you just because you're in a mobility device and they're not is saying you have to wait at least 20 minutes and wait for the next bus, even if there are effectively people behind you who then end up passing you when you're waiting at the gate. How can that be fair? Most of the time when we get to the bus stop at the parks or DS we find that a bus has recently just gone and there are very few people waiting. It's worse when the only people who are waiting are a scooter or two, because then not only do you have to wait for the next bus - but the one after that as well as the first one can only take two scooters. Using your scenario, even if I've arrived at an empty queuing area, if people then start to join the queue and effectively go ahead of me and then fill up behind me into the second row, they all get to go on first because they're at the front of the queue. You simply can't police queues in this fashion. It's not an exact science.
No one is saying that if you get to the bus stop and there is just one bus load of people waiting you should have to wait in line and then wait for another bus this is not what we are saying yes you should load first it is just best for everyone. Why we are saying is when the line is so long that the last person ( weather and I mobility device or not) will have to wait 4 or more bus load to get on then people with mobility devices are asked ( by Disney CM) to wait in line with everyone else ( they use 2 maybe more bus stop for the line) and when the mobility person get close to the front ( about 1-1 1/2 bus full of people) they pull them out Disney CM have a good idea of how many will fit on a bus do they get it Perfect All the time no but at the end of the night bus come much faster ( like every 5 minutes instead of 20) so yes this is fair ( or as close to fair) for everyone

No one is saying that if you get to the bus stop and there is just one bus load of people waiting you should have to wait in line and then wait for another bus this is not what we are saying yes you should load first it is just best for everyone. Why we are saying is when the line is so long that the last person ( weather and I mobility device or not) will have to wait 4 or more bus load to get on then people with mobility devices are asked ( by Disney CM) to wait in line with everyone else ( they use 2 maybe more bus stop for the line) and when the mobility person get close to the front ( about 1-1 1/2 bus full of people) they pull them out Disney CM have a good idea of how many will fit on a bus do they get it Perfect All the time no but at the end of the night bus come much faster ( like every 5 minutes instead of 20) so yes this is fair ( or as close to fair) for everyone
That takes a lot of maneuvering of the ECV and monitoring on the part of cast members. Disney could spend money on a CM or just risk that 10 able bodied people have to wait for the next bus, which by your account is 5 minutes anyway.

That takes a lot of maneuvering of the ECV and monitoring on the part of cast members. Disney could spend money on a CM or just risk that 10 able bodied people have to wait for the next bus, which by your account is 5 minutes anyway.
No it takes no more CM the line get so long a CM HAS to be there just for crowd control then they have another CM up closer that help load people remind people close to the fri t to fold stroller and pull out mobility device user normal when the gap between bus they tell the user where to go and what to do ( this is normally about 2 bus loads back) if they did not have the extra CM fight would happens ( I saw two in a 3 day trip) and you could not tell where the line ended or what line to even get in. And if they let mobile people skip to the front they would get on 40 mi minutes before ( takes about 5 minute to load 5 minutes between bus and if you have to wait for 4 bus thst would be 10 minutes pre bus. Like I have said this make thing equally or as close to equal as possible sorry you do not get to jump the line

And also there is no way for a mobility device to even get to the front load area without going in the standby line since they use about 2 bus zone. I am not taking about other times when you are not waiting 4 or more buss just to get on

Last edited:

I guess you have never been at the MK when they do have mobility device start in the main line and pull them out when they are 1-1 1/2 buss back and then they load first on the next bus they do not make mobility device wait the whole time in the line. And they only do this at the end of the night when everyone wait at lest 4 bus full of people if not more

I'm the poster the OP was quoting and this situation is what I was talking about, though it was at Epcot last December. There was no separate handicapped line until you got to the front row of queuing, where wheelchairs/ECVs/etc could pull off.

I'm sorry--can you explain a bit more? Isn't the point of the pull out that the driver will see you so he/she will load you before letting the mainstream line load? Why would you stay in the main line?

I was really peeved at the Disneyland Resort over the weekend--parked at the Toy Story lot and they have a separate line for accessible loading. There was a gentleman in a wheelchair and they loaded him first (I was behind him)--then they let his family load before they let me load on the ECV. Thankfully they were in seats that weren't in the way, but in my experience they usually will load an ECV first because a wheelchair is easier to maneuver and none of the family loads until after all devices are loaded (other than the person pushing the wheelchair of course). It just seemed totally backwards.

I'm the poster the OP was quoting and this situation is what I was talking about, though it was at Epcot last December. There was no separate handicapped line until you got to the front row of queuing, where wheelchairs/ECVs/etc could pull off.
Just so I understand--in trying to make it "fairer" (which I don't have an issue with necessarily) you would wait in line with everyone else until you get to that little pull-out section?

I am a full time power wheelchair user. I was at WDW for the AP previews of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge last week. It was a short 5 day trip but I experienced having to enter and navigate the entire bus line at the Magic Kingdom and at Epcot. Both times were at park close.

At the Magic Kingdom, by the time I reached the point where I was pulled to the side to move into boarding position, the bus was about half full and the driver told the cast member assisting with the boarding that I would have to wait for the next bus and loaded the bus with lots of people from behind me in the line. I waited 12 minutes for the next bus to come and was loaded first onto that bus.

At Epcot, I was a little closer to the pull off spot when the bus arrived and the approximately 12-15 people in the line between me and that spot (it seemed like a group that knew each other or had become friendly in line) moved to the side and had me go ahead. However, by that time the bus was already partially loaded. This driver had a different reaction to my appearing. He immediately stopped boarding people, went to the those sitting in the seat needing to be folded up, got them to move and then boarded me. And the people that moved aside for me, they all were able to get on that bus also. If I had not been allowed to pull ahead in the line, by the time I would have reached the boarding spot, people would have been standing on the bus and I would have had to wait for another bus.

My take on the procedure, I will wait at least one extra bus with this format.

Just so I understand--in trying to make it "fairer" (which I don't have an issue with necessarily) you would wait in line with everyone else until you get to that little pull-out section?

I think so. It's not perfect, I think the goal is to get to where you'd be on the next bus and separate there rather than jumping right ahead of multiple busloads of people at the end of the night. I agree with others that it's not entirely fair, as one row is not really equal to one busload.

The woman in question became belligerent when others in line (including the people already in the handicap line) tried to tell her how the line worked there and she was trying to drive past everyone in the queue. She drove under the rope on the far side to try to cut through that way, but it was blocked by cones in addition to the ropes at the front.

I think so. It's not perfect, I think the goal is to get to where you'd be on the next bus and separate there rather than jumping right ahead of multiple busloads of people at the end of the night. I agree with others that it's not entirely fair, as one row is not really equal to one busload.

The woman in question became belligerent when others in line (including the people already in the handicap line) tried to tell her how the line worked there and she was trying to drive past everyone in the queue. She drove under the rope on the far side to try to cut through that way, but it was blocked by cones in addition to the ropes at the front.
Just be to be more clear they use more then one bus stop so one line ( or really one and a half) where they pull you out) is about one bus load of people I have seen people get pulled out and they were loaded first and the pope in front of the ECV user did not make it on the bus ( there was still 15-20 people infant of them) see this about once every 4 times they do this at the MK I have only had one time that it was the other way around

I appreciate all of the etiquette advice for ECV's. My mother is planning a trip to WDW and will need to use an ECV for the first time there. We are unsure of the protocol to follow at the bus stops and while waiting for the park rides themselves. At the bus stops, should we wait in line with other guests or should we proceed directly to the marked ECV spot (as long as it is safe to do so). For the rides, should we just wait in line with other guests unless directed otherwise? Thanks again for all of the good suggestions and help.

I appreciate all of the etiquette advice for ECV's. My mother is planning a trip to WDW and will need to use an ECV for the first time there. We are unsure of the protocol to follow at the bus stops and while waiting for the park rides themselves. At the bus stops, should we wait in line with other guests or should we proceed directly to the marked ECV spot (as long as it is safe to do so). For the rides, should we just wait in line with other guests unless directed otherwise? Thanks again for all of the good suggestions and help.
for the bus go to the handicap load area unless there is no way to get there ( most of the time when they have you go in the standby line it will be st the MK or EPCOT at the end of the night and the line will be very very very long. ) and they do this at the value resorts

For rides just ask the CM if ECV can go though the line. A good number of lines you can take your ECV in line with you

"ECV" has nothing to do with convenience.

and the mobility aids go first on the bus because they have to be strapped down. So they have their own place to wait. not sure why people don't get this.

Unless they've now added some way for mobility aids and the accompanying parties to wait for the next bus and not to "jump ahead" of several busloads full of passengers.

Unless they've now added some way for mobility aids and the accompanying parties to wait for the next bus and not to "jump ahead" of several busloads full of passengers.

This is exactly why this thread exists. At MK and apparently also at some value resorts Disney has set up a system so that when the lines are long, mobility device users go through the main line until they get to a pull out location that in theory equals one bus full of riders. Then they get loaded first on that bus instead of jumping to the front of the line. This discussion has been about people confused about or not liking it.

"ECV" has nothing to do with convenience.

and the mobility aids go first on the bus because they have to be strapped down. So they have their own place to wait. not sure why people don't get this.

But at the MK right after fireworks mobility device ( for the value resorts) go in the standby line. I will be down for over a week so I will try and take a picture of the line so everyone e can see just how long it is.

This is exactly why this thread exists. At MK and apparently also at some value resorts Disney has set up a system so that when the lines are long, mobility device users go through the main line until they get to a pull out location that in theory equals one bus full of riders. Then they get loaded first on that bus instead of jumping to the front of the line. This discussion has been about people confused about or not liking it.
I do not think the resorts do this I will know soon enough but I think it is just MK and maybe EPCOT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter