What word mispronounced drives you crazy??

Okay, this is embarrassing admission time. First, I'm not American, so I didn't grow up hearing about the "GOP". As an adult, I didn't care a lot about US politics, but I did read articles about it, particularly as, in the last four years, there was so much news about the Republican party. In fact, I only recently learned that GOP stands for "Grand Old Party".

So, that said, in my head (don't laugh... okay, you can laugh) I've already read "GOP" as gop... a word that rhymes with "sop". So when I started watching news about the election last fall, imagine my surprise to hear all those newscasters talking about the G. O. P. ? It still makes me bristle when they say it as it's correct initials, because I can't get all those years of thinking it was a word (gop, that rhymes with sop) out of my head.

I'll step away, now, in my embarrassment.
....the mom of a childhood friend of my son, who had quit high school years ago finally earned her ged. [...actually, it's a G.E.D.]

My husband cannot say pomegranate. He says pome-gratin. Like, cheesy potatoes. :rolleyes2 I always tell him it’s pome-granite, as in granite countertops. It doesn’t help.
He also can’t say vibe. He says VIVE. Drives me crazy.

My husband cannot say pomegranate. He says pome-gratin. Like, cheesy potatoes. :rolleyes2 I always tell him it’s pome-granite, as in granite countertops. It doesn’t help.

My husband says chimley for chimney. Doesn't matter how many times he is corrected. I have no idea why and it drives me crazy also.

My husband says chimley for chimney. Doesn't matter how many times he is corrected. I have no idea why and it drives me crazy also.
...husbands can DO that.......ALOT.

Irish Gaelic names tend to tie the tongue in proper knots if you are not familiar with the language, and the spelling is very random in English because it is transliterated, which is, of course, also true of Hebrew. (There was a time I used to threaten to name a child Caoimhe, just to watch DH twitch. ;))

People often look at our daughters names and just ask us how to pronounce them. Those who try to pronounce them do so incorrectly ~95% of the time. We're always excited when someone gets it correct.

BTW, the first three letters of our oldests name are Cao...

People often look at our daughters names and just ask us how to pronounce them. Those who try to pronounce them do so incorrectly ~95% of the time. We're always excited when someone gets it correct.

BTW, the first three letters of our oldests name are Cao...

It's a pretty name, but it's probably the one that has the most distance between how it looks transliterated and how it actually sounds, so it's a good example. I've lived all my life with having to explain pronunciation myself, and my first name is actually Anglicized. You just can't win, so you may as well pick what you like.

DD's name is extremely popular in Ireland right now; at last count she has 6 cousins with the same name. My late MIL was not impressed; in response to that information she opined, "But *we* don't live in Ireland, do we?" (God rest her soul, the woman was an absolute master of the passive-aggressive. The funny thing is that DH's Anglicized first name is very Irish but not popular in the US; my mother was charmed that he happened to have the same name as one that is traditional in her own family. (More same-named cousins, LOL!))

PS: My word is "Kennygarden"

Last edited:
It may have been posted already but "Valentimes Day"

Also "deers"

Both drive me nuts.

MJ

I worked with a girl that said “Optober” instead of “October”. And it was the month she was born. 🤔

Wrong pronounced like "rong-guh."

Or any word that ends in an "ing" when people add the "guh" sound to the end. Like "singing" becomes 'sing-ging-uh."

A past pastor of our church used to pronounce "known" with two syllables - "no-en". I don't know that's it's wrong, but every time he said it, I cringed a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter