What word mispronounced drives you crazy??

I went to school on the Central Coast in CA. The names of a couple of the towns are Hispanic in origin, the pronunciation is NOT! You should always use the local pronunciation - that's just polite. That doesn't stop the newscasters in So Cal from twisting themselves in a knot trying to be politically correct though. Some examples, with the local pronunciation;
Paso Robles (pass-a-row-bulls)
San Pedro (san peed-row, or peed-row for short)
and the one that drives me nuts;
San Luis Obispo (san lou-is oh-bis-bow)
We hear the Hispanic torture, but also "san lou-EE oh-bis-po". WTH? Now I know you aren't a local. Also "SLO" (slow) for short, but really only get to use that if you live there.

how is San Luis Obispo pronounced? I saw San Lou Ee Oh-bis-po. Should it be Lu-ees?

The Pittsburgh accent is definitely different.

That’s the accent that’s usually used by the mom
In hairspray? Right?

Each of those pairs would be pronounced the same by everyone I know. I have never heard of there being different pronunciations of those names based on spelling variations.

they’re all the same for me too. Of course, Mary, marry, and Merry are all the same for me too.

my biggest pet peeves for mispronounced words are walla (for voila) and foyer (rhymes with lawyer). It’s supposed to be foy- ay, no r sound.

It's not a word mispronunciation, but a way of speaking that has become more common - skipping the T sound in the middle of words (T-glottalization). Button becomes buh'-on, mountain becomes moun'-in. It really makes me nuts.
OMG that's it! Lately for the last year I've noticed on tv more and more people with the second syllable being un and more distinctive.

how is San Luis Obispo pronounced? I saw San Lou Ee Oh-bis-po. Should it be Lu-ees?

In hairspray? Right?

they’re all the same for me too. Of course, Mary, marry, and Merry are all the same for me too.

my biggest pet peeves for mispronounced words are walla (for voila) and foyer (rhymes with lawyer). It’s supposed to be foy- ay, no r sound.
All of those names are the same here (Megan, Sara, Rachael), but Mary merry and marry all sound different.

In hairspray? Right?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/foyer

I hear young women pronouncing corset as kor-SET instead of KOR-set. It must fancy it up in their minds. 🤣 But it’s corset, not corsette.

Likely the spelling. Meghan vs. Megan

It's like Sara instead of Sarah. or Rachel instead of Rachael.
Sarah and Sara are both pronounced the same way. Saaarah. Long a sound in the first part. The no H makes no difference. For some reason people say “seerah”. There is no E. And you don’t pronounce the H. Source: am a Sarah

Last edited:
OMG that's it! Lately for the last year I've noticed on tv more and more people with the second syllable being un and more distinctive.
:) Saw a news story this morning talking about the future being un-CER-in. How hard is it to say CERT-in?

My DH mispronounces Chipotle at chi-POLT-y. I think he half does it just to irk me.

:) Saw a news story this morning talking about the future being un-CER-in. How hard is it to say CERT-in?

My DH mispronounces Chipotle at chi-POLT-y. I think he half does it just to irk me.
My coworker say Chipotle the same way and she's not doing it on purpose. Because she is my coworker, I let it slide.

I hear young women pronouncing corset as kor-SET instead of KOR-set. It must fancy it up in their minds. 🤣 But it’s corset, not corsette.
My DD does this all the time and it drives me nuts.

I have corsets in my sewing stock because I make costumes, and DD asked to borrow one the other day, but since she said kor-SETTE, I pretended to misunderstand and handed her a torsette instead. The look on her face was pretty funny.

PS: The first time I noticed that weird eliding of consonants in the middle of a word was in that "Oh, no, you didn't!" meme. For some reason that is always shown as "di-int" ... so it looks like people who do it are jumping over more than just T's.

When people say "you did good" instead of "you did well". I know - it's a grammar thing, not a pronunciation error, but it drives me crazy! (Good is an adjective, well is the adverb.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter