What is your least favourite country?

I'm perfectly comfortable saying imperial Japan, and Nazi-era Germany are among my least favorite countries.
Well, now see, that would be a discussion topic I could really get on board with. Which government was the worst in history?

There are so many to choose from, even from the 20th century alone. That would be a fantastic discussion!

Before anyone gets offended, we need to remember that a person’s “least favorite” country doesn't even necessarily mean they hate the place, much less the people.

If I have a wonderful time at place A, but a better time at place B, place A would be my “least favorite” of the two.

We didn't care for St. Lucia or Aruba.

What didn't you like about Aruba? We're considering a trip there next winter, but its significantly more expensive than comparable resorts in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic.

What didn't you like about Aruba? We're considering a trip there next winter, but its significantly more expensive than comparable resorts in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic.

While the beaches were beautiful, we found it to be very dry and flat, more desert like than tropical. We're really not into gambling, which was one of the biggest things to do there at night. DH called it Las Vegas in the ocean. We also had some poor interactions with the locals, which helped to color our experience there. Just not someplace I'd spend the money to go back to.

I have a co-worker who has a timeshare there and goes for two weeks every year and just loves it.

I think everyone should try things on their own at least once. What I don't like, you might love and vice versa.

We just got back from Jamaica and I love it there! That a place I would definitely go back to (and have). The island is beautiful and the people warm and friendly. While you'll most likely hear about the unrest there, it's confined to small areas of Montego Bay, Kingston, and Spanish Town. We met some Americans who are now living Kingston and we asked them about it. According to them its been blown way out of proportion. They said just like there's certain areas in cities in the US that you don't want to wander around in, the same is true of Jamaica.

Before anyone gets offended, we need to remember that a person’s “least favorite” country doesn't even necessarily mean they hate the place, much less the people.

If I have a wonderful time at place A, but a better time at place B, place A would be my “least favorite” of the two.

That's the way I interpreted it too. Take this poster for example. Even though she singled out a state in a thread about countries and seemingly hates the place, I'm guessing just like that she really loves California. It's just that it is number two behind presumably Ohio.

The People's Republic of Kalifornia

And take this one for example.

The Bahamas, specifically Nassau. Terrible place.
Forget that terrible place thing. I'm quite sure she had a wonderful time and it's #2. It's just that she's comparing it to her #1.

Last edited:

The beaches are great. And it doesn't rain there all that much. About 20 inches a year. It is out of hurricane zones. And it doesn't get too hot there either. There is gambling and there are some pretty headlands to look at. But beyond that it's rather flat and desert like. There just isn't all that much to it. That's the downside. On the plus side the tap water is better than some places here in the states. It's provided by a desalination plant.

Be advised. If you're renting a residence, they often do not have water heaters.

That's the way I interpreted it too. Take this poster for example. Even though she singled out a state in a thread about countries and seemingly hates the place, I'm guessing just like that she really loves California. It's just that it is number two behind presumably Ohio.

And take this one for example.

Forget that terrible place thing. I'm quite sure she had a wonderful time and it's #2. It's just that she's comparing it to her #1.

Or, maybe just #2 LOL

I can 100% say I hatted Nassau. It was like wandering into a third world country. I don't want to be panhandled in port and I felt like I would be shanked by someone around every corner.

Never going there again.

I can 100% say I hatted Nassau. It was like wandering into a third world country. I don't want to be panhandled in port and I felt like I would be shanked by someone around every corner.

Never going there again.
This is a shame. I can assure you that there is no pan-handling at the multi-billion dollar resorts around Nassau. (Atlantis, Bahamar, Lyford Cay, Albany)

Were there actual beggars asking for spare change? Or was it aggressive vendors and taxi drivers? I'm surprised the vendors would tolerate beggars in the tourist area. In the 15+ week long visits I've never encountered a beggar. Lots of hawking vendors, but no 'spare change' folks.

And I'm curious if you've been to a third-world country? The Bahamas is actually the third wealthiest country, per capita, in North America, after Canada and the U.S.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter