What is the most physical pain you have experienced?

Food poisoning, of my own doing.

We were young, just married, first time away from home for both of us. Bought our first grill and I had Fillet in the freezer. I had it on the counter to thaw and forgot about it. Still pretty frozen but went to bed forgetting about it and the next morning, I thought dang, they're Fillet, we'll be OK. Nope!

I worked 12 hours shifts back then. For 4 days I couldn't work my full shift. I was doubled over in pain and running to the restroom every 5 minutes trying to get rid of the pain. I suffered through it for 8 hours busting my tail to get my work done along with my partner helping me out and finishing the work for me so I could go home at 3. Never felt anything like that in my life.

for the love of god why no pain meds????!! You poor thing.
Childbirth was also nothing for me. I must be lucky. With both births the fear of that epidural needle outweighed any labor pains. So Inwent for it. Wasn’t that bad and felt like I could run a marathon right after my second. With my first I tore so that sucked.

Lol looking back, I should have asked. They said it would just be “light cramping” and I can absolutely tell you that that was false. I was still healing from the earlier d&c, plus the clots...it was just lots of terrible.

Funny enough, they had to stick me a few times with the epidural needle. It took forever because I was so damn big that I couldn’t slouch for them to get the needle in properly. I had perfect posture. Go figure 🙄 Plus, they had my pitocin up too high so I was having 6 minute long contractions and almost needed a c section. My son also came out sunny side up. I think because I had such an awful pregnancy, someone or something made, even with all that, made giving birth a breeze.
My biggest fear was actually tearing! Lol I’m so sorry that you did. Again, I got so incredibly lucky. The dr said it just looked like I had a bit of brush burn and that was it.

I was just talking about this with DH - I thought child birth was bad (although I admit I was pretty well drugged because I'm a wimp with pain) then a few years after had a kidney stone that really got me - then just 2 weeks ago, just in time for Christmas - I had appendicitis. I was lucky that it didn't burst but it was still pretty bad for me - with the recovery pain horrible (for me even with laproscopic). I said I had a new respect for anyone who had a C-section and had to recover and take care of a newborn - I can't imagine.

I once had spiral meningitis and literally prayed for death. When I was in my hospital room, the nurses closed the blinds, drew the drapes and shut off all the lights. The room was still too bright and I had to squint my eyes closed. I've had headaches and even the occasional migraine. This, though, was so much worse. I truly wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

A close 2nd would be when I had shingles. It truly does feel like your flesh is on fire.

Last edited:
A migraine that lasted 16 months...and that is why I have 2 neurologists who work to manage my migraines. It took forever to break.

The worst pain I ever experienced was immediately after a root canal. Of note, I had no pain in the tooth prior to the procedure but two different dentists told me it needed a root canal. So, I had the procedure done. While I was at the front desk paying my bill, the pain hit. I began to cry and beg for them to give me more Novocain shots before I left, and they did. It helped slightly. I was in misery by the time the pharmacy filled my prescription for Norco. By the time I got home, I was in 10/10 pain. I was in the floor screaming and pulling my hair because it distracted me from the pain. I took too many Norcos (as a nurse, I know better) but they did nothing. DH was at a loss and had no idea how to help me. I wound up in the ER and was given Demerol and phenergan shots. It helped the pain for a few hours. I ended up missing 5 days of work due to the agony. The dentist's explanation was that I have a low pain tolerance. I still have pain in that tooth 5 years later although not like it was the first couple of weeks. I have been to several dentists since and none can find anything wrong on xray. It was definitely the worst/scariest pain experience of my life. Now, I will have a tooth pulled and an implant put in, before I would ever do a root canal.

Gallbladder attack was worse than childbirth and that's with one DD arriving sunnyside up and breech and the other broke end of tailbone during birth.
Still gallbladder wins, shockingly. Might have been because emergency gallbladder was 2 weeks after tri ankle breakage (fainted from gallbladder pain and twisted body weight broke ankle). Doctor was very not thrilled to do surgery with major cast on other leg.

Fun times. Much depression. Friend gave me the first 6 seasons of Big Bang Theory (never saw) and that literally got me through the experience.

Gallbladder attack was worse than childbirth and that's with one DD arriving sunnyside up and breech and the other broke end of tailbone during birth.

Whoa! I never heard of a tailbone getting broken during birth. That made me shiver all over! Bless your soul. I broke my tailbone NOT during childbirth and it definitely ranks up there in my top 10 pain experience list. And after reading your post, I hope I never have a gallbladder attack!

Whoa! I never heard of a tailbone getting broken during birth. That made me shiver all over! Bless your soul. I broke my tailbone NOT during childbirth and it definitely ranks up there in my top 10 pain experience list. And after reading your post, I hope I never have a gallbladder attack!
Thanks for your sympathy. She got 'stuck' and forceps delivery broken it.
Re gallbladder: I never ever dreamed it could cause that level of pain. A whole new appreciation of others' experiences (including reading those on this forum) has given me much more empathy for what others have gone through.

Childbirth was BAD. 36 hours of progressive agony... worse than I expected.

But by far was when I shattered my wrist. Slipped on a wood floor and came up with my hand just dangling from right above where my wrist should be. That hurt, but it got worse. Then they set my arm by using those finger-puzzle thingies and dropped a 30 lb weight on my arm. That hurt, but it got worse. THEN I had surgery and woke up with an X-Fix. Screws and bolts and all kinds of things drilled into my bone, PROTRUDING from my arm. But, had a nerve block and didn't feel a thing!

Until 2 am. That was worse. I woke up screaming and pretty much moaned and cried for days. No pain meds because I refuse to take the stuff. It was awful.

And even worse than tha, every morning and every night, my poor husband had to take sterile Q-Tips and CLEAN the skin around where the screws were sticking out of my arm. It was super important to ward off infection and to keep my skin from growing around the screws. Man, there are crazy nerve clusters in your hand.... I'm surprised he didn't divorce me during that time because I called him every name in the book and even slapped him once because it hurt so bad.

But the absolute worst was when they removed those screws and pins. I'll just say this - it involved a tool kit and an office visit. No pain meds, no anesthesia. Just a pillow for me to scream in to. Thankfully it was brief :)

Thanks for your sympathy. She got 'stuck' and forceps delivery broken it.
Re gallbladder: I never ever dreamed it could cause that level of pain. A whole new appreciation of others' experiences (including reading those on this forum) has given me much more empathy for what others have gone through.

My tailbone was broken during childbirth as well. Never knew that it was a bit misshapen and would prevent my DS from going through the birth canal. I also needed forceps (my choice, as opposed to a c-section) but there went the tailbone.

My trimalleolar ankle fracture on 10 October of this year and the surgery following it rivaled my two my medicated births. DH had to take me to the ER the day after the ankle surgery at 5am. 😰

Once the nerve block wore off amd the oxycodone gave me only 20 minutes of relief, i sounded like a woman in labor.

I’d call it 9/10 if 10/10 is when you pass out.

I also had one migraine that was 9/10. Most of mine are 4-8/10 (and I do respond to meds....I feel so lucky for that)

Thirty three hours of labor with three failed epidurals and a failed spinal. I truly thought I was going to die.

1 Childbirth 3 times with no pain meds because I’m stubborn
2 Gallbladder attack 1 day after childbirth when my body already in pain
3 Dislocated jaw during a road trip in a different country while trying to keep 3 kids under 6 entertained because DH was driving and trying to find a hospital in the middle of nowhere (no cellphone)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter