What is going on with ECV - policy change Nov 1. 2012

peemagg said:
Just trying to be helpful. I have never had any issue having room to plug my scooter in in my room at SSR. I have stayed in all the room configurations there at SSR, and it has never been in the way in the room.

That is useful actually thank you. I will plug it in the room :-) thanks!

After reading through 5 pages of threads, I'm a little confused. I think from what I've read, that if you rent from one of the "preferred" providers, there's no change in policies regarding drop off, recharging, or pick up. Is that right? Or can no one leave their ECV in the hall to recharge overnight? And suppose I'm a new ECV user who knows nothing of this policy (there are a few people who don't read the DIS, much as I for one wonder how they survive!)and I happen to call a non-preferred provider. I wonder whether they'll just tell you that due to a new policy, I must be present to receive my ECV or tell me the preferred/nonpreferred situation. And I can't help but wonder if this gives the preferred providers reason to raise their rates significantly-how badly do you want convenience? I'm very uneasy about this.

I don't blame disney one bit for making these changes. If you can imagine how many people week to week use ECV's. Imagine the constant drop off and pick up. The ECV isn't a tiny piece of machinery. They would have to store these somewhere. At any given time imagine the size of the hotel an how many disabled guests use ECV's. We'll say 100. Can you imagine 100 per week coming and going from 15 different companies. You can imagine how many of these companies have already tried to sue disney....who knows.

Some of those companies may not be reputable. Some of those companies may hire registered sex offenders for all you know. Maybe they want to eliminate the riff raff who drop off their ECV's from the back of an old school bus and work with serious, more professional providers.

Simba's Mom said:
After reading through 5 pages of threads, I'm a little confused. I think from what I've read, that if you rent from one of the "preferred" providers, there's no change in policies regarding drop off, recharging, or pick up. Is that right? Or can no one leave their ECV in the hall to recharge overnight? And suppose I'm a new ECV user who knows nothing of this policy (there are a few people who don't read the DIS, much as I for one wonder how they survive!)and I happen to call a non-preferred provider. I wonder whether they'll just tell you that due to a new policy, I must be present to receive my ECV or tell me the preferred/nonpreferred situation. And I can't help but wonder if this gives the preferred providers reason to raise their rates significantly-how badly do you want convenience? I'm very uneasy about this.

You can leave it to charge Disney means of the vendor leaves it in a public area then they will remove it. It the rental company Responsabilty to let the guest know of the new policy. I don't see them rasing rate to much because their still other company's that could adjust to the new policy. Plus once other company's see a loss then they will try to work out a deal with Disney to be a preferred vendor. They went with the three big ones that most people use it not like they picked three small company's walker and apple are always on property.

It is in your best interest to charge the ECV in your room anyways. It keeps anyone from damaging it or stealing it, which you would then be responsible for.

Here is an example of something I witnessed that I think this new policy is trying to eliminate. A few years ago we stayed at Kidani (when first opened), the whole week we were there, there was a ECV parked out in the hall. It never moved and was a rental scooter.
If these companies do not rent as many scooters or other equipment except say 1 or 2 a week, they may not be responsive in picking up their devices like they should. This is just speculation on my part, but I could see it being a big problem with space being taken unneedly by equipment that was left by the guest days ago.

The fee for abandoning a piece of equipment is charged to the rental company. No one is saying though, that if a guest leaves the equipment somewhere on property and goes home without meeting with the company they rented from, that the company will not pass the cost onto that renter. It is something to be looking for.

We reserved with Walker for the first time because I thought they would be exempt from the new rules as they were one of the three preferred vendors. I was told that for our departure from Disney World in November that we would have to personally meet a driver to pick up our scooter - no drop off at bell services. They were not even sure they would be allowed in the parks after November 1st so I think alot is up in the air with the new policies. We had previously used Care Medical and never had a problem.

FYI we got a call from Walker today and they told us the policy and from my understanding they are not a vendor that can drop off with Bell Services. Real bummer as we have used them numerous times and have been very happy...I guess we might give apple a try?

I just got the call from Walker Mobilty regarding :

Originally Posted by alokhum
Dear Sir/Madam:
This letter is to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort (hereafter, “Disney”) has entered into agreements with certain vendors of Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs), wheel chairs, and strollers. This has resulted in the development of new policies for the delivery and pickup of these items. These policies will go into effect Thursday, November 1, 2012 and will be strictly enforced.
Therefore, other vendors of ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers (hereafter “said devices”) with which Disney does not have an agreement, must adhere to the following policies:
1. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be done in a public area at the resort the Guest is staying.
2. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be made directly with the guest who has reservedlrented the vehicle(s) while the Guest is physically present.
3. Devices may not be left at any location on Disney property to be picked up by a Guest or retrieved by a vendor.
4. No back stage access to theme parks, resorts, water parks, Downtown Disney, or other non-Guest areas, will be granted for the purpose of delivering or retrieving of said devices.
5. A said device that is left at any location on Disney property, by a vendor or a Guest in the process of delivering or retrieving it, will be considered abandoned.
6. Any such abandoned device will not be released to a Guest, even if that Guest claims that it was dropped off for the Guest use pursuant to a rental agreement.
7. Abandoned devices will only be released to a vendor upon payment of a $75.00 handling and storage fee.
8. Any agent, owner, or employee of a vendor found in a backstage area without certified written approval, will hereafter be issued a trespass warning, permanently barring that individual from entry onto Walt Disney World® property.
9. It is the sole responsibility of the vendor to contact Guests who have reserved any of the said devices beyond October 31, 2012, and arrange for physical pickup and delivery with that Guest.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to Walt Disney Sourcing and Procurement at 407-828-3764 or 407-828-3342.
Thank you,
P.O. Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Tel 407.934.7379

They were more than kind and told me they are happy to meet me ANYTIME I WANTED for the return of the scooter ( since we are leaving Novemebr 3rd) 2 days after this cut off time for dropping at Bell Services.:thumbsup2

The reputable companies will adapt. The not so reputable companies will not.

But I thought Walker was one of the 'preferred providers'??? And I thought preferred providers were 'allowed' to leave equipment with Bell Services. So am I understanding that now None of the companies can drop off 'equipment' with Bell Services? I do agree with Sue though, The better companies, such as Walker will adapt. I previously have used Walker but now own. I do have to wonder what has prompted such a drastic change. I know we can only speculate. But some days at POP there would be 2 dozen or more units lined up outside of Bell services waiting to be delivered or picked up. That's a good bit of work for the hotel that is not causing any profit for them and is actually costing them money. Just makes me wonder...but again just speculation on my part as they have to pay their employees to interact with the rental companies on behalf of the guests. That is something that Disney doesn't have to do. Maybe they feel it has gotten out of hand with all of the hotels ... :confused3

I am a very long time lurker here with my own scooter having many years ago rented an visit every year from the uk. Frankly this year august/september for a month I was astonished to see the number of scooters awaiting collection at the contemporary as well as the number in use in the parks.
I am sure the previous poster is right this is what has caused disney to take action, whats worrying will be if the next action they take is to ban scooters in the parks whicha re not their own

Jacqui

First of all Disney can't ban scooters that are not their own. The ADA laws over here prohibit such things.

Also this new policy covers other things too such as wheelchairs and strollers.

I thought that Walker was one of them too, unless they are just changing their way of doing pick ups and deliveries to be within the new policy to help avoid some confusion.

So now there will be trucks from the rental companies lining up outside the Resort front doors to drop off or pick up ECVs, wheelchairs, and/or strollers.

Have to say, this change does not surprise me. No more risk of Disney getting in the middle of problems that occur because there was no need for one on one contact during drop of, pick up, at any moment of time abandonement of aid used in public areas etc.

And being honest, while it will not influence me personally anymore as this is my last trip I do applaud it. Too many times I've seen rentals being stored where ever the renter finds it fits their need; read in a public location instead of room. I'm one of those that believe in not making your want, desire or problem that of anyone else. During my stay at BWV pretty much the whole stay there were 2 rental ecv's abandoned almost 24/7 at one of the elevator areas. Blocking space for those using aids, esp. those that rent and haven't got that much experience and need more room to get in and out of an elevator. They did get moved short times, so apparently they were being used but could not be bothered to store in room?? Hardly the first time seen it happen. Considering all kinds of problems that can arise from this and having time unattended between pick up and drop off, I think it's an expected change.

We reserved with Walker for the first time because I thought they would be exempt from the new rules as they were one of the three preferred vendors. I was told that for our departure from Disney World in November that we would have to personally meet a driver to pick up our scooter - no drop off at bell services. They were not even sure they would be allowed in the parks after November 1st so I think alot is up in the air with the new policies. We had previously used Care Medical and never had a problem.

FYI we got a call from Walker today and they told us the policy and from my understanding they are not a vendor that can drop off with Bell Services. Real bummer as we have used them numerous times and have been very happy...I guess we might give apple a try?
Even the preferred vendors might be erring on the side of caution in the next few weeks.
It would be better for them to assume there might be some problems and just arrange for pick upand delivery - even if they don't have to.

I can see why they are doing it.
STORAGE: On our last stay at OKW, we saw many ECVs sitting in one area for a whole week at a time. I looked at some of the tags on them, and the majority should have already been picked up days before.
This used to be a nice little porch area, overlooking the water, but for at least the past 2 years, it was totally filled with assorted scooters, wheelchairs and strollers.

When I first became aware of off-site rentals for wheelchairs and ECVs, there were a handful of companies. Now if you do a search for rentals in Orlando/WDW area, there are pages and pages.
Add to that, the huge number of stroller rental companies. And, keep in mind that some of the large strollers folded are as large as my DD's wheelchair with her sitting in it.
The amount of storage space for all this stuff must be huge at some resorts - and it's not something Disney agreed to do (except with the companies they are working out relationships with). The companies just took advantage of something that was set up for another purpose (temporarily holding guests' bags).

LIABILITY: I'm sure some of the companies find damage on the item when they pick it up. The renter may say it was not damaged when they left it for pick up and say Disney must have damaged it while it was sitting.
The company may try to blame Disney, but Disney never agreed to take any care of it.

As reported on one recent thread, a company may try to blame another company for 'taking' their ECV. And, with a stroller or wheelchair just sitting out, someone unscrupulous could take it and no one would know until the company it belongs to contacts the real renter to find out where it is.

EXTRA WORK FOR DISNEY: I have seen things on the Internet (not on this board), where people indicated that when they left, they just left the ECV parked in or outside of their room.
We apparently saw that one time when we saw the same ECV parked outside (where it would get rained on) at DVC Beach Club. After seeing it there at all hours for almost a week in a row, I looked at the tag on it and saw the rental dates were over, so it should have been picked up. I called Bell Services to let them know. I wonder how many are left in various places where WDW would have no idea if that was the pick up spot the renter and the company had agreed on? My guess is those would be some of the abandoned ones in Disney's letter.

SECURITY AND OTHER CONCERNS: As someone already mentioned, there is a possibility that all the delivery people are not on the up and up.
There have been issues in the last 5 yrs or so with people slipping advertisements under resort doors. I read that some of these are just ploys to get people's credit card numbers. Because people find them under the door, they assume they are Disney approved. After they get their pizza (which I've seen reports was not even good) they find extra charges on their cards.

WDW doesn't want random people roaming around - someone picking up or delivering might take advantage of being on site to look for open doors, open cars, etc.

There are also some ECV rental companies that are sort of 'fronts' for other companies. I've seen one that advertised 3 days free rental if you go on a condo tour that the company is connected with.

So, I think this move by Disney is a good move.

Since there is already a long thread discussing the new policy, I am going to add the specific Walker thread to this more general one.

They were more than kind and told me they are happy to meet me ANYTIME I WANTED for the return of the scooter ( since we are leaving Novemebr 3rd) 2 days after this cut off time for dropping at Bell Services.:thumbsup2

Dizzy Corp sinks to a new low.

Jud

ejud said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by cynzilla

They were more than kind and told me they are happy to meet me ANYTIME I WANTED for the return of the scooter ( since we are leaving Novemebr 3rd) 2 days after this cut off time for dropping at Bell Services.

Dizzy Corp sinks to a new low.

Jud

I think that is a matter of opinion...and quite frankly, I disagree.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter