What is going on with ECV - policy change Nov 1. 2012

SueM in MN said:
Even the preferred vendors might be erring on the side of caution in the next few weeks.
It would be better for them to assume there might be some problems and just arrange for pick upand delivery - even if they don't have to.

I can see why they are doing it.
STORAGE: On our last stay at OKW, we saw many ECVs sitting in one area for a whole week at a time. I looked at some of the tags on them, and the majority should have already been picked up days before.
This used to be a nice little porch area, overlooking the water, but for at least the past 2 years, it was totally filled with assorted scooters, wheelchairs and strollers.
When I first became aware of off-site rentals for wheelchairs and ECVs, there were a handful of companies. Now if you do a search for rentals in Orlando/WDW area, there are pages and pages.
Add to that, the huge number of stroller rental companies. And, keep in mind that some of the large strollers folded are as large as my DD's wheelchair with her sitting in it.
The amount of storage space for all this stuff must be huge at some resorts - and it's not something Disney agreed to do (except with the companies they are working out relationships with). The companies just took advantage of something that was set up for another purpose (temporarily holding guests' bags).

LIABILITY: I'm sure some of the companies find damage on the item when they pick it up. The renter may say it was not damaged when they left it for pick up and say Disney must have damaged it while it was sitting.
The company may try to blame Disney, but Disney never agreed to take any care of it.
As reported on one recent thread, a company may try to blame another company for 'taking' their ECV. And, with a stroller or wheelchair just sitting out, someone unscrupulous could take it and no one would know until the company it belongs to contacts the real renter to find out where it is.

EXTRA WORK FOR DISNEY: I have seen things on the Internet (not on this board), where people indicated that when they left, they just left the ECV parked in or outside of their room.
We apparently saw that one time when we saw the same ECV parked outside (where it would get rained on) at DVC Beach Club. After seeing it there at all hours for almost a week in a row, I looked at the tag on it and saw the rental dates were over, so it should have been picked up. I called Bell Services to let them know. I wonder how many are left in various places where WDW would have no idea if that was the pick up spot the renter and the company had agreed on? My guess is those would be some of the abandoned ones in Disney's letter.

SECURITY AND OTHER CONCERNS: As someone already mentioned, there is a possibility that all the delivery people are not on the up and up.
There have been issues in the last 5 yrs or so with people slipping advertisements under resort doors. I read that some of these are just ploys to get people's credit card numbers. Because people find them under the door, they assume they are Disney approved. After they get their pizza (which I've seen reports was not even good) they find extra charges on their cards.

WDW doesn't want random people roaming around - someone picking up or delivering might take advantage of being on site to look for open doors, open cars, etc.

There are also some ECV rental companies that are sort of 'fronts' for other companies. I've seen one that advertised 3 days free rental if you go on a condo tour that the company is connected with.

So, I think this move by Disney is a good move.

Actually this post really made me think and for that I thank you SueM. Whilst staying for many enjoyable years at SSR there has been an ongoing issue of the pizza advertisements and me and DW have never felt comfortable about people wondering around who aren't guests. We do not want people randomly wondering around either as I like the safe feeling of Disney especially being disabled. So if this new policy aids the security I am in favour. Also re my scooter company ( too late to change as I have already paid for my trip this month ) I am wondering why wont they pay the fee to store the scooters and to access the parks when others will and are the same rate? Next time I will use an approved dealer for my own safety and because I cant push a broken down scooter to a park entrance. If I could do this I would not need a scooter! I was shocked when I asked them what happens if it breaks down in the parks and they told me if the scooter breaks down bring it to the park entrance!

I would disagree for the reasons I posted 2 posts before yours.
I am actually surprised it took this long.

You make several good points, and maybe you are right, but I do stand my ground for other reasons including personal. I have been using an ECV at WDW since 02, and on occasion before that.

First, reasons can always be found to justify any position. So though each of your points is valid, it is still a choice made by Disney.

Second, over the years I have seen an ever increasing move toward financial concerns over magical concerns. Given that off site rentals tend to be about half the price of on-sight, my own observations of the situation overall over the last decade do tend to lean toward this as more of a financial move than a security and liability move.

The actual effects of this are null on me as I have and carry my own ECV, but I do sympathize with those who will be adversely affected by this.

And maybe you are totally correct.

:)

Jud

You make several good points, and maybe you are right, but I do stand my ground for other reasons including personal. I have been using an ECV at WDW since 02, and on occasion before that.

First, reasons can always be found to justify any position. So though each of your points is valid, it is still a choice made by Disney.

Second, over the years I have seen an ever increasing move toward financial concerns over magical concerns. Given that off site rentals tend to be about half the price of on-sight, my own observations of the situation overall over the last decade do tend to lean toward this as more of a financial move than a security and liability move.

The actual effects of this are null on me as I have and carry my own ECV, but I do sympathize with those who will be adversely affected by this.

Jud

Yes, but the numbers of ECVs in use at Disney even in just the last couple of years have increased Dramatically!! And I think Disney's hand was forced to deal with this matter is some way. And they couldn't single out ECV rentals and allow stroller rentals so they had to do an across the board policy.
Now I do think that they could deal with offsite stroller rental issues by making their own stroller rentals a more reasonable price. They have just increased their own stroller rentals to ridiculous prices! :mad:

I am wondering if the 'inconvenience' of this will have some who may not really need an ECV full time reconsider renting from outside vendors. I'm wondering if it will have people consider using the park rentals and/or using wheelchairs more often. Maybe it won't have an impact, but I'm thinking it just might....not a huge one, but a somewhat noticeable one over time. But it may make 'some' reconsider their rental options and choose differently. Now granted these are MY opinions, as I think some rent because they need the ECV at the resort as well. Some rent because it's cheaper even if they only need it part of the time. But Now I think maybe some who do not need full time use may reconsider...maybe not. I guess time will tell. I also think that we may see people who were torn between renting a wheelchair or ECV for Grandma/Grandpa may now lean more towards the wheelchair again if they don't need it full-time especially because you will have to wait for it and turn it in ahead of time which is using up valuable 'Disney' time IMO. I know this is probably not making sense to most of you, by the way I am explaining it...but it does to me. ;)
(Say "said person" doesn't really need an ECV full time but needs to rest some. So you rent a wheelchair from the park instead because said person can walk enough to get thru the gates and the like... Well you don't need to leave early, to take the ECV back to meet the rental company before departure because you HAVE to make sure that they have taken back position of the ECV before you depart, and if they are running behind this could be a problem for the renter if they are flying. So if you want to be sure it is turned in plenty early well then said person has nothing at that point so they are forced to sit out or you 'rent' from the park for that day. So I think if people start really thinking about this, they may reconsider offsite rentals esp for shorter trips ...is this making any sense now?? LOL)
This change may not effect the numbers at all. But something else to consider is that it 'appears' that since Bell Services isn't going to take deliveries of ECVs, I am thinking that there is a good possibility that they are no longer going to allow people to charge their ECVs there either. Especially since the way that letter is worded, it would be confusing to know for sure which ones are considered abandoned, etc... It sounds like now they want the guest to be in full control and fully responsible for their ECV. So I have a pretty strong suspicion that guests are now going to be responsible for charging their ECV in their room or risk having their ECV considered abandoned according to that letter. Maybe I am wrong. But it sorta kinda sounds that way based on the way that letter reads if you read between the lines. I figure I'll be arriving on the 31st of this month and I'll ask the manager at our hotel what the policy is so I can share it on our hotel thread because people sometimes suggest this to others and if the practice is being discontinued it'd be nice to let future travelers to that hotel know it. :)

I think some rent because they need the ECV at the resort as well.

Have you experienced the journey from the front desk to a room in some of these places??? :rotfl2:

First time I went with my own ECV, it died long before I did (not a real problem these days) and I went to Guest Services to see if they had a place I could plug in. The CM was incredibly nice and told me to take it over to ECV rentals and they would plug it in and give me a new one. Clearly he didn't understand, so I pointed out quite emphatically, this is my scooter, not one of yours! He said, I understand- no problem. And this is exactly what happened! This was in 04.

:cool1:

Now, just plugging in seems to be asking for the world. And the niceness isn't anywhere near what it used to be.

:sad:

As to "so many", well, so many people now!!! They have all but eliminated "slow periods" with the special room and dining offers. The place is packed with people- of all types, walking, preambulating and scootering these days.

:crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded: :moped: :crowded: :crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded:

I figure I'll be arriving on the 31st of this month and I'll ask the manager at our hotel what the policy is so I can share it on our hotel thread because people sometimes suggest this to others and if the practice is being discontinued it'd be nice to let future travelers to that hotel know it. :)

That is a very good idea, cause no matter the argument, agreements, disagreements, as Walter used to say, "And that's the way it is."

:coffee:

Jud

We are arriving on Nov. 2 and when I saw this post I was worried because we rented a wheelchair through caremedical for my MIL. My wife just called them and was told that there shouldn't be an issue because they are a preferred vendor. Thought I would add that update since I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Also sue, any thoughts to updating the FAQ sticky with this new policy?

Jud
I would have to disagree about this being a financial issue related to the price of onsite rentals vs. offsite rentals. There's no comparison because Walt Disney World doesn't allow its mobility assistance elrentals to be available for use by the renter 24 hours a day, or anywhere the renter wants to use it.

This change is entirely about responsibility, liability, and WDW choosing to no longer provide a complimentary service to only certain guests that takes away from the regular services they provide all guests.

As DVC members we were told that when they eliminated free valet parking (for DVC guests) it was because Bell Services had been switched to a contracted out company. So not really "Disney" anymore and my guess is that the bottom line of their services is the biggest reason.

At the time of the DVC switch there was a lot of commentary on the boards as to whether or not the members were tipping regularly for their cars. Similarly, I wonder if those using Bell Services were regularly tipping for ECV/stroller, etc. drop off and pick up. Additionally, last year or so Bell Services said they would no longer aid in those numerous fridge swaps. Many changes to Bell Services have been taking place over time.

dis-happy said:
As DVC members we were told that when they eliminated free valet parking (for DVC guests) it was because Bell Services had been switched to a contracted out company. So not really "Disney" anymore and my guess is that the bottom line of their services is the biggest reason.

At the time of the DVC switch there was a lot of commentary on the boards as to whether or not the members were tipping regularly for their cars. Similarly, I wonder if those using Bell Services were regularly tipping for ECV/stroller, etc. drop off and pick up. Additionally, last year or so Bell Services said they would no longer aid in those numerous fridge swaps. Many changes to Bell Services have been taking place over time.

I know valet is a contracted out company but never heard bell services was.

I know valet is a contracted out company but never heard bell services was.

You what? You are right. I was confusing valet parking with bell services...they all kind of hang around the front door of the resort and where pretty uniforms. My apologies!

You what? You are right. I was confusing valet parking with bell services...they all kind of hang around the front door of the resort and where pretty uniforms. My apologies!

nothing to be sorry about yeah at board walk inn their uniforms are very similar uniforms.

I just called and spoke to Tom in Bell services and he told me the 3 Top "Partners" Scooter Rentals with Disney are

Buena Vista

Apple

Walker

Now that wasn't too hard now was it! Thank you for sharing the info for others to read :goodvibes

My mom called today and was told to call back b/c they were still building the list of preferred. They also said there won't be a problem with drop off or pick up without being there. We are at blt

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We are arriving on Nov. 2 and when I saw this post I was worried because we rented a wheelchair through caremedical for my MIL. My wife just called them and was told that there shouldn't be an issue because they are a preferred vendor. Thought I would add that update since I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Also sue, any thoughts to updating the FAQ sticky with this new policy?
Yes - once we know a little more I will do a big edit.

At this point, I was planning to do a small edit this weekend - if nothing else, to put a link to this thread and a few sentences summing it up.
My mom called today and was told to call back b/c they were still building the list of preferred. They also said there won't be a problem with drop off or pick up without being there. We are at blt

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
From something I read on another thread, it sounded like there might eventually be 5 preferred providers.

I just called the Polynesian to find out the providers. We are going in mid november and my mom needs a scooter and I need a stroller.

The lady that answered said that she didn't know of a policy change. She put me on hold and asked around. She came back on line and said that there is no policy change. Now I'm confused!

She did say they have preferred providers:
Apple
BPMobility
Buena Vista
Care Medical Equipment
Scooterbug

I just called the Polynesian to find out the providers. We are going in mid november and my mom needs a scooter and I need a stroller.

The lady that answered said that she didn't know of a policy change. She put me on hold and asked around. She came back on line and said that there is no policy change. Now I'm confused!

You need to ask for Bell Services. If you just talk to the person who answers the phone when you call the published number for the resort, you get somebody in a call center who may or may not be in Orlando (probably not) and for that matter, may or may not have ever been to the resort.

You need to ask for Bell Services. If you just talk to the person who answers the phone when you call the published number for the resort, you get somebody in a call center who may or may not be in Orlando (probably not) and for that matter, may or may not have ever been to the resort.
Thank you....I didn't know that!

I called back and talked to 2 people...one in bell services and then he transfered me over to his supervisor. They both said they haven't heard of this policy and that they store the scooter in the back room until we can come pick it up. Hopefully this is true!

So I was able to get the scoop as it currently is. Disney did partner with 5 ECV Vendors - Apple Scooters, Best Price Mobility, Buena Vista Scooters, CARE Medical, and Scooterbug. I guess the process was pretty intense and they worked through a list of some 20+ vendors. I checked, and they are NOT more expensive then other vendors not part of Disney's list. Aparantly by doing this they can align the type of scooters so that they fit easier on the busses, and have safety enhancements made to better service the people who rent them. And the scooters will of popular models. I asked how the process is changing and they confirmed that they will only deal with ECVs from the approved vendors. All other will still be allowed on property, but must deal with a guest directly. The resorts will not handle ECVs from the vendors they don't have this partnership with. I guess this all starts at the first of november sometime.

Cntrybear said:
So I was able to get the scoop as it currently is. Disney did partner with 5 ECV Vendors - Apple Scooters, Best Price Mobility, Buena Vista Scooters, CARE Medical, and Scooterbug. I guess the process was pretty intense and they worked through a list of some 20+ vendors. I checked, and they are NOT more expensive then other vendors not part of Disney's list. Aparantly by doing this they can align the type of scooters so that they fit easier on the busses, and have safety enhancements made to better service the people who rent them. And the scooters will of popular models. I asked how the process is changing and they confirmed that they will only deal with ECVs from the approved vendors. All other will still be allowed on property, but must deal with a guest directly. The resorts will not handle ECVs from the vendors they don't have this partnership with. I guess this all starts at the first of november sometime.

Thanks that makes sense they don't like the dream scooter it to big to load and tie down safely. I know apple dose not but not sure about the rest. Who I am surprised not to see is walker because you always see them unless they gave Disney a hard time or couldn't work out a deal.

Thank you for that.

No Walker???!!!

Jud

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter