What is going on with ECV - policy change Nov 1. 2012

cmwade77 said:
Actually, I think this is more about liability than anything else. I know this example is in California, but it still applies.

We went to PCH Grill at Paradise Pier hotel for dinner last might and were say by the supervisors for guest relations. They were dealing with an issue where a broke off the key to a privately owned ECV when bringing it back to the person on a ride and couldn't figure out the manual release. It became a huge mess that they spent probably about 45 minutes coordinating with various departments to fix. So my guess is that these preferred vendors may need to provide operating instructions to Disney for the models they rent, maybe even give some training on them. It sounded like they were mostly concerned about getting the guests ECV back to their vehicle, but that Disney was going to have to pay all repair costs, including if they broke it any further.

Avoiding situations like this is what actually makes the most sense as to why they would implement this kind of policy.

Your post is most likely key to why they decide to do it because now the preferred have to keep longer hours. Before apple would close at 8 now they would have to stay open later so if something happens they can help.

Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I just called and spoke to Tom in Bell services and he told me the 3 Top "Partners" Scooter Rentals with Disney are

Buena Vista

Apple

Walker

thank you for posting this, but as of today 10/30 is this the complete list? Should I just let my reservation provider deal with this?:confused3

Bit of a newbie thank you

Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I just called and spoke to Tom in Bell services and he told me the 3 Top "Partners" Scooter Rentals with Disney are

Buena Vista

Apple

Walker

thank you for posting this, but as of today 10/30 is this the complete list? Should I just let my reservation provider deal with this?:confused3

Bit of a newbie thank you
No, that list is not correct.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 2 has current information about the Preferred Vendors.

I'm not sure what to do?

I want a really fast cart, I cannot stand one's that poke along.

I also need one with a light for nighttime - what should I do?

Who do you guys rec?

I'm not sure what to do?

I want a really fast cart, I cannot stand one's that poke along.

I also need one with a light for nighttime - what should I do?

Who do you guys rec?
I copied some of the information from post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread for you. There is a lot more information in that post. This is just the information about Preferred Vendors and contact information.

Wheelchair and ECV Rental Companies
NOTE: Some of the companies have items that may not be on their website. So if you like a company and they do not show exactly what you are looking for, email or call them and ask. The website may show only the most popular or commonly rented.

As of November 1, 2012, WDW Resorts have a new policy regarding ECV and wheelchair delivery to their resorts:
Preferred Vendors are welcome to check equipment with Bell Services for guest retrieval and return.
Preferred vendors reportedly include: Apple Scooters, Best Price Mobility, Buena Vista Scooters, CARE Medical, and Scooterbug
Non-preferred vendors are welcome to do business on Disney property, but they must hand the equipment directly to the guest, and collect the equipment directly from the guest.

Here's some key facts:
  • Disney is trying to limit their liability for leased property on their property.
  • Disney used a 3rd party company to collect information about companies that do rental business on Disney property.
  • Bid packets were sent to a number of primarily ECV rental companies.
  • The approval process included business verification, insurance verification, and equipment inspection.
  • Bidding is now closed, and current contracts last for 2 years.
Apple Scooter (Preferred Vendor)
(321-726-6837)
http://www.applescooter.com/
Apple rents scooters and wheelchairs. Apple rents 16 inch wide wheelchairs. These are suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 125 pounds. Apple has many good reviews.

Buena Vista (Preferred Vendor)
http://www.buenavistascooters.com
(866) 484-4797 or (407) 938-0349

Care Medical (Preferred Vendor):
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 " Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282
Care is a full Service Medical Company. They rent ECVs, wheelchairs, power wheelchairs (for guests who are familiar with and use one at home), walkers, companion chairs, strollers, special needs strollers, bath equipment, comodes, beds, among other things.

RANDY'S Mobility
According to information from Randy, they have a London, England phone # that connects directly to their US. Office.
US. & CAN. (321-281-6603)
UK. (02030062368)
http://www.randysmobility.com/
Randys rents wheelchairs, ECVs and Joovey strollers, including Joovey Caboose where one child can stand behind.

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com
Walkers rents wheelchairs, ECVs, single and double strollers.

Best Price Mobility (Preferred Vendor, but little feedback from DIS posters)
http://www.bpmobility.com

Scooterbug (Preferred Vendor, but no feedback from DIS posters) From what I can tell, this company provides strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs for the WDW parks; and probably pool chairs. I could not find contact information except for corporate information.

Not Preferred Vendors; less Feedback than the first companies on list:
Scootaround
http://www.scootaround.com/ Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker, some people who did post about them reported they had problems with equipment failures and charge cards. Scootaround rents wheelchairs and ECVs.

Scootarama
http://www.scootarama.com/ Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker, but people who did post about them reported they had no problems. Scootarama rents scooters.

Scooter Vacations
http://www.scootorlando.com/index.html
Not as much feedback as Randys, Care and Walker, but people who did post about them reported no problems. Scooter Vacations rents ECVs of various types.

I would suggest you go to the different websites. Look at what kinds of scooters they offer and you will be able to find one with lights.
Speed is not that important - most go around 4.5 miles per hour, which is fairly fast walking speed. No matter how fast the scooter can go, it is important to keep to a safe speed, considering the number of walkers around.

Thank you so much for all that vital information !!:cool1:

You are indeed a wonderful person to have compiled and written all the wonderful information for us all!!

You have answered all my questions to a tee!!

sincerest regards lennonforever:wave2:

Does any one know if there is a lower age restriction on scooter hire. I need to hire a scooter for a 14 year old

Does any one know if there is a lower age restriction on scooter hire. I need to hire a scooter for a 14 year old

WDW's ECVs can only be rented for use by an adult aged 18 or older. Most of the outside vendors also only rent to an adult user. I have heard there is one that MAY rent to older teens if the teen uses one regularly at home. Not sure if a 14-yr-old would qualify for those terms or not. I believe the age limits are due to liability concerns.

Does the child use a scooter at home? Is there a challenge in bringing it? Could a special needs stroller or pediatric-sized wheelchair suffice?

WDW's ECVs can only be rented for use by an adult aged 18 or older. Most of the outside vendors also only rent to an adult user. I have heard there is one that MAY rent to older teens if the teen uses one regularly at home. Not sure if a 14-yr-old would qualify for those terms or not. I believe the age limits are due to liability concerns.

Does the child use a scooter at home? Is there a challenge in bringing it? Could a special needs stroller or pediatric-sized wheelchair suffice?

He uses an electric wheel chair at home but we we won't be able to get it int a hire car

Contact Randy's Mobility. Look in Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs for contact information. They are willing to rent ECVs to teens who normally use their own. They will come and see if the person can handle it.

If you are flying into Orlando and staying at a Disney resort, you, and the scooter, can go on the (free) Magical Express bus from the airport to the hotel and (free) transportation from Disney hotels to Disney parks. It can be quite a hike from parking areas/tram drop offs to wheelchair rentals.

If you are flying into Orlando and staying at a Disney resort, you, and the scooter, can go on the (free) Magical Express bus from the airport to the hotel and (free) transportation from Disney hotels to Disney parks. It can be quite a hike from parking areas/tram drop offs to wheelchair rentals.

(Sorry, delete the last part-you're not planning to rent only at the parks, obviously. Too long a day!

Thank you so much for all that vital information !!:cool1:

You are indeed a wonderful person to have compiled and written all the wonderful information for us all!!

You have answered all my questions to a tee!!

sincerest regards lennonforever:wave2:

I couldn't agree more, Thank YOU :)

If you find a scooter you like but it doesn't have lights, you can get clamp on battery operated lights intended for bicycles pretty cheap at places like Walmart and Target. That's what I did. That way you don't need to worry that using your lights might leave you stranded in the park by using too much juice from your scooter battery.

I have a cup holder for a stroller and lights from a bicycle and it's covered in Disney stickers nice thing about having my own

If you find a scooter you like but it doesn't have lights, you can get clamp on battery operated lights intended for bicycles pretty cheap at places like Walmart and Target. That's what I did. That way you don't need to worry that using your lights might leave you stranded in the park by using too much juice from your scooter battery.

What a great idea!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter