• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your first 5 stops onboard?

I feel like I spent our first cruise ever learning - it was fun but we didn't really settle in till Day 3.
This is what I'm preparing to feel... but trying to mitigate that a bit with this very helpful thread! :)

This is what I'm preparing to feel... but trying to mitigate that a bit with this very helpful thread! :)
Yes, that can be a good idea. For me - and I promise I'm not being argumentative - it's threads like these that made it harder to settle in. I am an uber researcher and I like control and information and to make careful choices. So I knew most everything about DCL before even boarding. This was our first cruise ever. So I had all these things swirling around in my head the first day and a half. And I had certain expectations that turned out not to be realistic for my particular family.

This turned out to be one of those situations where experience is priceless and cannot be replaced by research. BUT again I need to keep my new expectations reasonable as well, haha!

I think that for someone who is more laid back and easy going it would be a lot easier. I also have a fairly high maintenance family in several ways so that complicates thing.

We still had a marvelous time and cannot WAIT to go back - we think about it every day. Only 10 months to go!

Yes, that can be a good idea. For me - and I promise I'm not being argumentative - it's threads like these that made it harder to settle in. I am an uber researcher and I like control and information and to make careful choices. So I knew most everything about DCL before even boarding. This was our first cruise ever. So I had all these things swirling around in my head the first day and a half. And I had certain expectations that turned out not to be realistic for my particular family.

This turned out to be one of those situations where experience is priceless and cannot be replaced by research. BUT again I need to keep my new expectations reasonable as well, haha!

I think that for someone who is more laid back and easy going it would be a lot easier. I also have a fairly high maintenance family in several ways so that complicates thing.

We still had a marvelous time and cannot WAIT to go back - we think about it every day. Only 10 months to go!
Understood! I think I'm a lot like you -- big researcher/planner -- and this is our first cruise EVER (not just DCL)... this will be interesting...! I appreciate your thoughts, and I'm sure I'll have to remind myself of them once first onboard! :)

In no particular order, depending on when we actually board:

1. Lunch at Carioca's or Parrot Cay
2. Guest Services to make wine tasting reservations
  • On our Wonder cruise 2 weeks ago, tasting reservations, Palo reservations, dining changes, and about everything but excursions was being conducted in Triton's - one stop shopping! We also changed our dining rotation (for the first time ever) since it had us in AP, our least favorite MDR, for 3 nights.
3. Stateroom to drop off carry-on/day bags
4. DVC Member Celebration (DW goes to the Spa for drawing)
5. After the Muster, enjoy an adult beverage on our veranda

1. First thing, put our swimsuits on and head to the AquaDuck.
2. Eat at Cabanas
3. Head to the room/leave carry ons/drill thing
4. Sail Away Party
5. wander around the cruise, meet some characters, until its time to get ready (theatre show, dining, evening activities..)

Now, granted we've only done one cruise but I already know what the next one will entail for our first stops.
1) Character Breakfast scheduling
2) Nearest Bar for a vacation beverage (that could be number one if the wife and I divide and conquer).
3) PEEL AND EAT SHRIMP!
4) From this point on, it's a "what ever happens, happens" kind of thing.

Oh you said 5 steps...5) get another beverage.
Peel and Eat Shrimp? Hot or cold? And what restaurant serves this? Thanks!

On our most recent cruise:

1. Cabanas
2. Our stateroom
3. Rainforest (to get day passes)
4. Lifeboat drill (because we got on late :( )
5. Sailaway party

I never make it to the sail away party. I always head to Promenade, port side, to watch the Harbor Pilot jump ship once we're outside the buoys.

If you are anything like me, embarkation day is a day that you have planned out thoroughly. And the first few hours-for me at least-have pretty much the same pattern on every Disney sailing. What are your first five "must-do's" onboard a Disney Cruise on embarkation day? Mine are as follows:

Go up to deck 5 port excursions desk and get tickets for all complimentary events

Go to Cabanas and enjoy lunch while seated as close to the windows as possible

Enter in Spa raffle

Take kids to the Open house at the Oceaneers club.

Head toward the staterooms to unpack and enjoy the room before heading to the muster drill.:beach:
Mine are:
Guest Services to pickup tickets for all complimentary events
Cabanas (Or Equivalent on other ships) and take time until rooms are ready
State Room
Muster Drill
Find a spot outside (if not already there for Muster) to Sit and Enjoy watching the ship leave in peace and quiet.

cabanas
Room to drop luggage off
Check our dining location and table. ( I have bad anxiety so we prefer a 4 top)
Life drill
Sail away party

How does this change if you are concierge level? Do I still need to wait for tickets and go sign up for tastings?
Thanks!

Your concierge hosts will take care of everything like this. We make a list for everything we want so we can tell the host exactly what we want. It makes it easier and they arrange everything.

So glad I found this thread....first time cruiser too and will be following along so I am well educated for embarkation day ;)

1) Drinks and snacks in the Concierge Lounge
2) Start unpacking
3) Pool/AquaDuck/AquaDunk
4) DVC Members Celebration
5) Cruise group meet

Pretty close to my items

1) Drinks in the Concierge Lounge and check to see if everything is booked properly. Request any additional on-board only requests.
2) Unpack
3) Cabanas lunch (I've only been on Dream and Fantasy)
4) Cruise meet and Greet
5) Lifeboat drill in theater

Just one stop ... Concierge Lounge ... you get your snacks, free champagne, and the Concierge staff takes care of your tickets, meet & greets, Palo/Remy reservations, etc.
And they come tell you when your room is ready! Oh, and the coffee is awesome!
I'll never sail less than concierge again! Always well worth the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter