What about an ABC's of Disney Swap?

I hosted an ABC Disney swap a few years ago. It was alot of work but well worth the challenge.

Here were the requirements for the swap I did. Each person made a letter square, a title, and then a decorative accent piece for each letter chosen. I think the letter had to be between two to three inches high. It needed to be matted on to a square or shape of some sort that goes along with the theme. Then there needed to be a title or phrase to go along with the letter such as "Wonderful world of Disney" "One hundred and one Dalmations" Jungle Cruise" or something along that line. The last element required was the decorative accent piece. This could be the usual set of tags, paper piecing, stamp art, deco squares, or other idea (but no journel boxes). By doing both the letter and a title, this gave everyone the option of doing an ABC book or using just the titles. All in all, it turned out to be a great swap. I used all the pieces in my ABC book.

Another idea is to downsize the requirements to use in a 6x6 album or an 8x8 album. Then have all the required pieces be smaller in size.

I've seen ABC swaps where there is an extra player. The extra player has some sort of die cut machine. That player then cuts out a set of all the alphabet letters for each person in the swap. Then all the other player do just a title and accent piece.

One last suggestion if you don't want that big of a group is to have each person pick out two letters to do instead of just one. Then you only need 13 players instead of 26 players.

I have retired from hosting but I would to join in on the fun when the sign ups begin.

Happy swapping.
Beth

Actually, that sounds reasonable Beth. I wasn't planning on participating in this swap because I was having trouble envisioning what I would do with an ABC book. But if each page was similar - in that it had the letter and the title I could see it. That 3rd piece would make each page different, but there would still be the continuity.

I'll have to think about this again.

Just wondering if we were still planning on doing this in the upcoming months!

I have to say that I'm getting addicted to this swap thing...but I don't dare sign up for swaps anywhere but on this thread because it seems like the
specifications on the other swaps are so specific and strict...down to the type of paper (that I can't seem to find in my area scrap stores) and how many embellishments (3) must be on an item. :crazy: The swaps on this sight are very nice, but still simple!

If anyone knows of a place where I could join a Christmas swap or a seasonal swap where items don't have to be loaded with stuff, please let me know! :love2:

Oooo - a Christmas swap? :hyper: That sounds like fun! :Pinkbounc (As long as it's non-Disney)

You know - I've thought the same thing about other swaps. The DIS is a great place all around, isn't it? :teeth:

OK...I'm really anal! I tallied up the responses for what people wanted to see in the ABC swap. Here are the top 2 or 3 in each letter category.

A - Adventureland (4) Ariel (2) Alladin (2)
B - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (6) Buzz Lightyear (2) Beauty & Beast (2)
C - Cinderella's Castle (5) Cinderella (2)
D - Dumbo (3) Donald Duck (2) Daisy Duck (2)
E - Enchanted Tiki Room (4) Eeyore (3) Extraordinary (2)
F - Fantasyland (4) Fireworks (4)
G - Goofy (4) Grand Prix Raceway (3) Good times (2)
H - Haunted Mansion (5) Hi Ho Hi Ho (2) Hugs (2)
I - It's a Small World (7) Ice Cream, Imagination, Innocent (1)
J - Jungle Cruise (6) Jasmine (3)
K - Kids (3) King Louie (3) Kodak Picture Spots (3)
L - Little Mermaid (4) Long lines, lunch, love, laughter, liberty square, liberty
bell (1)
M - Main Street USA (3) Mickey Mouse (3)
N - Nighttime (4) Never Never Land (3) Notes (2)
O - Once Upon a Time (5) Orlando (2) Off with their heads (1)
P - Princess (4) Pirates of the Caribbean (3) Parades, Pluto, Peter Pan (1)
Q - Quiet times (4) Quack (2)
R - Remember the Magic (4) Railroad (4)
S - Splash Mountain (4) Space Mountain (2) Snow White (2)
T - Toontown (2) Transportation (2) Tom Sawyer Island (2)
U - Umbrella (3) Under construction (3) Under the Sea (2)
V - Villains (7) Vacation (1) Visit (1)
W - Winnie the Pooh (5) Walt Disney World (3) Wonderful (2)
X - PiXie dust (4) X-tra special (3) exhausted and x-tra magic hour (1)
Y - Yummy (4) Yo Ho Yo Ho (3) Yellow Ponchos (3)
Z - Zippity Doo Da (4) Zurg (3) Zzzz and Zoom Zoom (1)

If others give their input, I'll be glad to keep track. This way people will have a good idea of what they will get in this swap.

Not sure who wanted to host this baby! If no one else wants to, I would "consider" giving it a try but it would be nice to have someone who has hosted before PM me so I can ask some questions and get some input! This one is a bit large and somewhat confusing...not sure what people would prefer as far as the letters are concerned (one person make all of them or each person make the letter for the page they are doing.) I like the point system for choosing items...it seems that others like this as well.

Once I get the hang of hosting (or even if someone else takes the ABC one), I would probably be interested in hosting a Christmas swap in a couple of months.

I'm thinking about August for the ABC swap with a due date of Oct. 1 and Oct. for the Christmas swap with a due date of Dec. 1.

Thoughts?

The first major issue I see is the end date of Dec 1- Its asking for troubles and LOTs of delay- I'd have it end no later than Nov 10th-ish so even with delays it'll be done before Thanksgiving- After THanksgiving life seems to get hectic and things such as this will be the first thing back burnered and forgotten about- Plus the idea of having the MAIL out X number of swaps in mid Dec with everyone else mailing out christmas stuff would make a LONG and BAD day at the post office...

The other issue is that unless its done as a "small swap" that is there THAT much to do with christmas? Unless you get really specific over details it'll end up as the last holiday swap with 5+ different snow themes and even in Utah they wernt very useable as it NEVER snowed long enough to take pictures...

One other idea to shoot in with the holiday theme is what about doing it an Every holiday thing so instead of just christmas itll be thanksgiving, halloween, easter etc so its more broad but non-disney (personally I like the holiday idea but after the last holiday swap and how most of it wasnt usable to me for one reason or another- I'm not sure Id do that again)

I'd be happy to help ya host it via PM but be advised in T-Minus 14 hours I'll be gone for almost 2 weeks...

As for the ABC Swap- Personally I think you need to nail down the exact rules and specifications needs to be nailed down esp what to do if all the letters dont get chosen etc. For the reg swaps we do the 2 piece thing and if you do more than that you'll need to figure out postage etc because the Flat Rate Envelopes wont work for anything over the 2 piece/24 thing-

Another issue is that you'll still have part of the swap going over summer which Ive decided is a hard time to do swaps because life is so much more unpredictable and its caused both the Cruise Swap and the ride swap to drag on much longer than neccessary-

One last issue is that of the amount of swaps going on- Right now there are 6 swaps that I know of that are active... Plus the Park Swaps will begin in the next month or so

I'll add more thoughts but itll be after work :) -em

If it's not stepping on the Original Poster's toes, I would love to host this swap. I love organizing things and am pretty good at it (even if I am tooting my own horn to say it). Even though this is a more complex swap, I still think it is something I can do.

I really like Sconnell's idea of a point system and think that is definitely a fair and equitable plan. Also, I love the idea of having the extra person who only does the die cut letters. In fact, I would like to be selfish and volunteer myself to do the die cut letters along with hosting. That way, I wouldn't be overwhelmed by trying to make tons and tons of elements and host the swap also.

I think a start of August sounds great with the due date of October 1. and 4ltltinks - I would love to do a Christmas Swap due Dec. 1! Sounds fabu!

Now, the only thing still left to decide is what theme do we go with for each letter? Should we just say that the top vote getter in each category is it? Or should we open up the swap for sign-ups and then do votes on the categories from the people who sign up so only the people participating in the swap get a say over what categories we use?

Now I'm all excited to get started!

the christmas swap sounds fun. I was in one over on the lifetime moments board last year and it was fun. the hostess did it in groups of 5-6 people and the items were as follows:

christmas eve
christmas morning
opening presents
meeting santa
baking cookies
decorating the tree

each person signed up for one of those themes in the group. I think then you had to make a title and pick another element to go with it like squares, tags, etc. maggie

ps: a due date of dec 1st worked just fine with that swap too, I don't think it started until sept, can't remember. but since we were only making 6 titles and 6 whatever else it wasn't hard.

pps: if you don't have a hostess for the xmas one, I can do it. :)

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and offering to host these swaps TPCShauna and nicurn! It would be nice to have a few more swaps under my belt before hosting one! I love the idea for the Christmas swap with the categories nicurn! That's exactly the type of stuff I had envisioned for this swap, not winter stuff. I may even sign up for a couple different groups if it starts growing...I have 5 albums to do Christmas in each year!

I definitely think that the people in the ABC swap should be the ones deciding what to do for the letters. It may be a good idea to allow the person who's doing the letter decide which theme she will do. My thought is that I will sign up for a letter that I would like to do the top voter in, but there may be other ideas out there. If we aren't able to find people to do all the letters, I would be willing to do 2 of them. Others may be willing to do the same.

Thanks again!

I like the point system too, if you are taking a poll....

BTW, I suggest you start a new thread for a Christmas swap so you can have a separate discussion there... (and I will link it to the swap calendar for reference too).

I am very new at scrapping and have never done a swap but I would love to have the chance to get involved with the ABC swap. Do you still have letters open for a newbie? :earsgirl:

I haven't had time to read all the posts so this may already be answered/decided but I would love to participate but I would ask that it start after the cruise 2 swap ends (Sept1).

I have been wanting to do an ABC book and this would be a great way to start.

sconnell said:
IOK here is my suggestion. Mix 'N Match! You must do a Title (Vertical or horizontal) that is no longer than 6" and any combo of the following that adds up to 2 points.
.5 point - Embellished squares (double matted)
1 point - Matted Poem or song Lyric (double matted/embellished) at least 4x4 space (no handwriting please)
1 point - Frame (embellished)
1 point - Photo Mats (double matted/embellished)
1 point - Shaped Eyelets & fiber (6 per person & 1 yard)
1 point - Journal Box – (double matted) at least a 2x2 writing area
1 point - Tags (double matted) must include either fibers or eyelets in the holes
2 points - Shaker Box
2 points - Paper piecing
(Example: A Title and 4 embellished squares or A title and a paper piecing or A title and a Journaling Box and a tag.)
What do you think?

I like it! I like the idea of a 6 inch title - will fit on the smaller pages!
I like that we can make different items but everyone is working toward the same number of points.

I'm up to my ears in swaps right now, but I would like to know when this one's starting. September?

I am planning to begin sign-ups for this on August 15 with Phase 1 which will be participants deciding on a theme for each letter. Phase 2, which is the actual production of pieces, will begin on September 1 with a due date of November 1.

Let me know if you have questions.

I haven't been involved in a swap before, but would like to join in the ABC one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter