Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW *July 2013 Trip Report Link*

Yes it is.

Great pictures with your Fuji. I was noticing how detailed the rays were.

well dang, you had some updates here and I had this in my "archived" threads!

Plans look good. I hope this time you plan to make it to Margaritaville or I am revoking your parrot head status!

And remember AAA discount pretty much everywhere

I think you will enjoy HRH!

No worries about missing this. Not much of a PTR.

We definitely plan to go to Margaritaville- I pulled up a menu and the boys are really excited to eat there- it may be the meal they are looking forward to the most.

But if we don't go, I may have to lie to you! :blush:

JB was actually in our neck of the woods last week. He played a show last Thursday at a very small club in Boston to benefit The One Fund for marathon bombing victims. His big summer show was Saturday night. Tickets went on sale the day we were in the Cancun airport returning from Mexico.

I got so mad a couple of times when I forgot to use the AAA discount, but then I started putting my AAA card in front of my credit card/room key so that I would remember to use it.

Can't wait for the Hard Rock. As we were using the Bubba Mom's secret trail from the Portofino last time, we kept exclaiming "I can't believe how close the HRH is from the parks!"

We definitely plan to go to Margaritaville- I pulled up a menu and the boys are really excited to eat there- it may be the meal they are looking forward to the most.

But if we don't go, I may have to lie to you! :blush:

:lmao:

JB was actually in our neck of the woods last week. He played a show last Thursday at a very small club in Boston to benefit The One Fund for marathon bombing victims. His big summer show was Saturday night. Tickets went on sale the day we were in the Cancun airport returning from Mexico.

Figures.

I got so mad a couple of times when I forgot to use the AAA discount, but then I started putting my AAA card in front of my credit card/room key so that I would remember to use it.

I forgot in the parks at least once, went to guest services who did honor it but not happily.

Can't wait for the Hard Rock. As we were using the Bubba Mom's secret trail from the Portofino last time, we kept exclaiming "I can't believe how close the HRH is from the parks!"

It IS close! I do wish we had a few nights thataway for the new years trip, it's going to be wierd to do it as a day trip but that's what the majority wants. Next time. Although RPH is on our list.

I highly recommend the fried chicken and waffles from The Kitchen.

Hi Dee! :wave: I am completely behind, but I absolutely loved your US plans. I think it would be awesome to stay at the HRH. It looks like such a cool place. I am really feeling the urge to visit US. I know I will never ride Rip Ride Rocket, because I am way too much of a chicken, but there are quite a few attractions I have never been on.

WDW plans also sound wonderful. It's really shaping up to be a great trip.

Love the underwater pictures and that pool looks really enticing today!

Hello Dee! Sorry that I haven't posted lately but I promise that I've been reading along. I can't believe that the Universal photopass (oops, forgot the correct name) is just $40.00. That's cheap compared to the $169 special offer that I just paid for Photopass Plus.

It looks like your new underwater camera is going to work out well. The pictures that you took in the pool look great.

Plans look good. I hope this time you plan to make it to Margaritaville or I am revoking your parrot head status!

So I told Ben about your comment about revoking my parrott head status and his eyes got really wide and he looked horrified. :scared1:
I had to explain that "I don't think she can really revoke my status".

But just to be sure, yesterday I made a reservation through open table to dine at Margaritaville 2 weeks from today (Sunday). And I told Mark about
the Happy Hour deals at the Lone Palm. Hopefully they are still offering that!

Hi Dee! :wave: I am completely behind, but I absolutely loved your US plans. I think it would be awesome to stay at the HRH. It looks like such a cool place. I am really feeling the urge to visit US. I know I will never ride Rip Ride Rocket, because I am way too much of a chicken, but there are quite a few attractions I have never been on.

WDW plans also sound wonderful. It's really shaping up to be a great trip.

Love the underwater pictures and that pool looks really enticing today!

Hi back! :wave2:

I haven't written too much about the plans, and I don't think I have much to add before we go. We are all really excited about the trip. It has been 3 years, really since Mark and Ben have been to Disney other than one day at MK in 2011. And although I spend some time every day "at" the Beach Club, it will be so nice to be returning there in person.

We have not had nearly enough pool days this June! The weather forecast for this weekend was really lousy, but it ended up being warm and sunny, so we had some bonus pool time.

I made the mistake of telling Ben that the new camera would be his for the trip, but I think I may break that promise. My Lumix is 12 MP and the Fuji is 16 and I have been pretty impressed with the pictures so far.

Hello Dee! Sorry that I haven't posted lately but I promise that I've been reading along. I can't believe that the Universal photopass (oops, forgot the correct name) is just $40.00. That's cheap compared to the $169 special offer that I just paid for Photopass Plus.

It looks like your new underwater camera is going to work out well. The pictures that you took in the pool look great.

No worries!!! I haven't really written very much about the trip.

Yes, the Universal Photo Connect really seems like a great deal. From what I understand, there aren't a lot of photographers in the park, but I can use the card to get ride photos and that will be cool!

I am in a regular (not plus) photopass share with two of my Beach Club DIS friends, so that will be around $40 too.

Yup, liking the new camera. I also have a new DSLR, but I'm getting nervous because I haven't practiced with it nearly as much as I should and I can't decide when I will and won't take it to the parks.

Holy Hannah! I didn't realize this PTR was extending to your current trip, I thought it was just from 2011. My humble apologies! I'm here now and you are so close, so I'm subbing so as NOT to miss the TR!

Dee - Catching up yet again. Your summer plans sound terrific! (even the Universal part :)) Wish we were going to be there. Can't wait to hear about the Wishes Dessert Party. Would be a great way to view! Also, of course the dinner with Teena sounds terrific. And wow 27 years - that is great!

Hope you enjoy BC...we have not been either since 2010, can't even believe it has been that long. Very excited for our return in September. Yes, and must do the burger at Beaches and Cream, love them, family favorite. Looking forward to DH and mine trip in September, but just writing about family favorites at Disney makes me hope DH and I will have as much fun without the boys! Will be a sudo anniversary trip as our anniversary is December and not a good work time for us to get away.

Rebecca

Bad, bad consumer!!! I haven't read any reviews yet. Gonna go do that now.

I purchased mine (Sam's Club) somewhat as an impulse. Needed a backup underwater camera, haven't tried this brand yet, the yellow one looked really cool. I just saw that it goes on sale at Sam's next week ($40 off) :furious:, so I may have to see if they will refund the discount or I "may" purchase another and return the one I.JUST.OPENED!

The lock on the camera is different (more rugged) than other waterproofs I have had, including the Lumix.

I'll test the waterproof features in the pool next week and in Florida in about 3 weeks. Not sure if I will be snorkeling before February, but I'll certainly keep you posted on any results.

ETA: Just read some reviews. Looks good so far!

I'm sure Sams'll give you the discount, especially when you threaten to return the opened package. I read some reviews too, that looked pretty good, but I trust your judgment even more!

ETA: I did get the yellow one! I thought that it would be easier to spot if I lost it in a pool. :lmao:

So I finally made it back to Sam's Club to ask about the $40 discount. The first person in customer service told me there was a 7 day price match policy- I had purchased the camera on May 15, but she called her manager over to ask. The manager denied my request, so I asked her what the return policy was (90 days), so I was still within that. Not wanting to get stuck taking back the opened camera, she checked with the general manager of the store, who let them take the return, make the refund and then ring in a new purchase at the lower price.

I fully intended to get to the discount- I didn't really want to stick them with the opened camera either, so I would have purchased another and then returned the unopened one with my original receipt- but this was much easier.

Holy Hannah! I didn't realize this PTR was extending to your current trip, I thought it was just from 2011. My humble apologies! I'm here now and you are so close, so I'm subbing so as NOT to miss the TR!

Thanks for popping by!!! :goodvibes

No worries!!! I have been using this report as catch-all for my non-Disney trips. Wasn't planning on doing a PTR, but I ended up putting a few thoughts down and this was the perfect place for it. The "Welcome Foolish Muggles" title fits this trip too since it will be a Universal/Disney vacation.

I will be writing a full, separate trip report when we return. I'll post a link here when I start.

Dee - Catching up yet again. Your summer plans sound terrific! (even the Universal part :)) Wish we were going to be there. Can't wait to hear about the Wishes Dessert Party. Would be a great way to view! Also, of course the dinner with Teena sounds terrific. And wow 27 years - that is great!

Hope you enjoy BC...we have not been either since 2010, can't even believe it has been that long. Very excited for our return in September. Yes, and must do the burger at Beaches and Cream, love them, family favorite. Looking forward to DH and mine trip in September, but just writing about family favorites at Disney makes me hope DH and I will have as much fun without the boys! Will be a sudo anniversary trip as our anniversary is December and not a good work time for us to get away.

Rebecca

When you wrote about the couples only trip on the FAQ board, I was so happy for you. Mark and I made several trips to Disney before the boys arrived and once in awhile we will look at each other during our trips and say "This would be fun with out the kids" Not that a family trip isn't a blast, but there are things about a trip with just the two of you that are different, and special.

Like actual quality time in the World Showcase

:lmao:

And not having to take the trip based on school vacations is great. I always thought September or October would be the perfect times based on crowds and weather.

It will be wonderful to see Teena again- like I said, it has been a few years (2009) since we met face to face.

I'm bummed that I am missing Robyn by just a day, but... you know that story!

Yikes, so sorry for getting so behind in your updates for your upcoming trip.

I personally loved your confession of things you must do next trip being a BC guru and all. I'm sure you will successfully mark those off your list! :upsidedow

I've never been to US/IoA in Orlando since I just can't NOT go to WDW and by the time we think we may want to duck away to the dark side, we've just layered in too many Disney plans. One day... :)

Congrats on your new DSLR! Wendy's tips are awesome but I fear that I'm too lazy to practice so I default to manual settings far too often with my Nikon. AND a waterproof. You are set for land and sea adventures!

Glad to hear you will be doing a TR too! :flower3:

Dee - yes, certainly know the story of missing by a few days! I will probably be older and grayer by the time we meet. Hopefully someday we will all be at Disney at one time!

Yes, getting more excited about the couples only thing. It was nice to not have to plan around school year schedule, hockey, baseball, rugby... How fun you had a chance to go together before kids! I am in planning mode and have booked Yachtsman for arrival evening and Cape May for the next night. Have looked at the park hours and have My Disney Experience linked and ready!

Not long now for your trip....only a week. Did I mention I was jealous?

Rebecca

So I finally made it back to Sam's Club to ask about the $40 discount. The first person in customer service told me there was a 7 day price match policy- I had purchased the camera on May 15, but she called her manager over to ask. The manager denied my request, so I asked her what the return policy was (90 days), so I was still within that. Not wanting to get stuck taking back the opened camera, she checked with the general manager of the store, who let them take the return, make the refund and then ring in a new purchase at the lower price.

I fully intended to get to the discount- I didn't really want to stick them with the opened camera either, so I would have purchased another and then returned the unopened one with my original receipt- but this was much easier.

Nice! Always good to get a little savings. :thumbsup2 Great idea for not sticking them with the opened camera, but glad you didn't have to do it that way.

So I told Ben about your comment about revoking my parrott head status and his eyes got really wide and he looked horrified. :scared1:
I had to explain that "I don't think she can really revoke my status".

But just to be sure, yesterday I made a reservation through open table to dine at Margaritaville 2 weeks from today (Sunday). And I told Mark about

LOL! No, I can't really revoke your status. That is hysterical! They have the happy hour deals in August so I bet they are still there.

I didn't realize it was up on Open Table, I need to check that out!

Happy Father's Day to your husband!

No apologies necessary. I'm glad you made the suggestion!

Planning is the easy part. My husband, Ben and I LOVE talking Disney, so we are constantly discussing our plans and figuring out how we want to do things.

Dining was a little more difficult. Since the Disney portion of our trip is so short, we have limited dining opportunities, and we were way past our 180 window when we booked the trip. But we checked with the kids for their must-dos (Sci Fi, Kona breakfast and T-Rex) and we were able to fit those in. Mark really wants to try La Hacienda, so we have that. And dining with Teena was my must-do.

Convincing the family that we don't need the dining plan was a tough sell, but you get so much food at the meals, that we are already planning on splitting entrees or sharing desserts.

I was stalking the dessert party reservation board, and it so happens that I was working the morning that the end of July opened up, but I still was able to get a reservation when I got home.

:woohoo:

Good job on convincing your family you don't need the dining plan! I've been unsuccessful selling OOP & freedom to my husband every trip since our first LOL. It is so much food I don't think you will be missing you! You have some good pics there, and there is a lot of good counter service especially near the BC/Boardwalk/Epcot! I'm so glad you got the dessert party reservation. I can't wait to hear all about it! I cannot believe how close your trip is! Are you in the packing vortex right now? LOL. Oh and I'm starting to get curious about the dark side so I am definitely looking forward to reading another one of your TR, I have learned SO much from you! Safe travels, I hope you have a great time!

Your dining plans sound very appetizing!! I will have to do Kona breakfast next time. I am probably the only Diser who has not trued a Tonga Toast.

And I can't wait to hear about the dessert party. Dessert is usually my favourite part of the meal do I just know I would live that. I wouldn't even need super that night.

I tried hard to convince Joey to go to Sci-fi but he just wouldn't let go of our reservation at Cape May Cafe. Hopefully next time!

Oh man... All this Disney food talk is asking me want to plan a trip to WDW so badly.
Q

Dee- all this talk about water proof cameras has me wanting one. The only problem? We just bought a Canon Rebel for Christmas, so hubby wants to hear nothing about a new camera. I keep telling him about how we can't take the Rebel to the water parks and how wet it can get in August.

Also, we decided not to do DDP this time too, and I told my husband how great it would be to not have to order specifically what Disney says we do. Told him how we can split appetizers, etc. His response? "I already know I don't want to split." Ha!

Your dining plans sound very appetizing!! I will have to do Kona breakfast next time. I am probably the only Diser who has not trued a Tonga Toast.
Q

Not the only one. I haven't either. I really want to try the Tonga Toast, but just can't seem to commit to making a reservation there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thank you friends for helping out with my pre-trip planning!!! Flight is at 7 am on Saturday!!! :woohoo:

It must be getting close to time for my trip, because I am in DEF-CON 4 panic mode. I am one of those deadline-driven personalities who gets what I need done (I hope) awfully close to the last minute. After I am done playing with the DIS and before work, I hope to type up my itinerary for those watching the house and cats and to get all of my reservations all in a single document.

I haven't linked MDE to anything. Should I???

In camera news- as I mentioned, I did get the discount for the Fuji XP60 even though it was past the deadline for price match. Well, now, Ben and I are fighting about who the new camera belongs to. I did promise it to him, but I WANT IT now!!! In pure spirit of compromise... I purchased another!

Oh, yeah, and I purchased the 2 year service plan. I usually pass that up, but since I have "lost" 4 underwater cameras since 2010, I figure it could cover either of the Fujis. There is no specific info about the camera, for $20 I have coverage if one of them fails!

So my camera companions on this trip will be a Lumix (u/w), Fuji XP60 (u/w) and Canon Rebel EOS T3 (DSLR).

Unfortunately I have no room in the luggage for a room fridge! :scared1:

I really hoped to get caught up on everyone's trip reports before I go so I don't dig myself deeper into a hole. It doesn't look like that will happen, but I know that you all have been there and understand!!!

Yikes, so sorry for getting so behind in your updates for your upcoming trip.

I personally loved your confession of things you must do next trip being a BC guru and all. I'm sure you will successfully mark those off your list! :upsidedow

I've never been to US/IoA in Orlando since I just can't NOT go to WDW and by the time we think we may want to duck away to the dark side, we've just layered in too many Disney plans. One day... :)

Congrats on your new DSLR! Wendy's tips are awesome but I fear that I'm too lazy to practice so I default to manual settings far too often with my Nikon. AND a waterproof. You are set for land and sea adventures!

Glad to hear you will be doing a TR too! :flower3:

This is our first "split stay" so we will see how it goes. Universal really appeals to our teen and it is great that there is so much new to us and in the parks since our last visit 2 years ago.

Dee - yes, certainly know the story of missing by a few days! I will probably be older and grayer by the time we meet. Hopefully someday we will all be at Disney at one time!

Yes, getting more excited about the couples only thing. It was nice to not have to plan around school year schedule, hockey, baseball, rugby... How fun you had a chance to go together before kids! I am in planning mode and have booked Yachtsman for arrival evening and Cape May for the next night. Have looked at the park hours and have My Disney Experience linked and ready!

Not long now for your trip....only a week. Did I mention I was jealous?

Rebecca

Well, we can be in a mutually-jealous-of-each-other club. Your trip sounds amazing!!!

Nice! Always good to get a little savings. :thumbsup2 Great idea for not sticking them with the opened camera, but glad you didn't have to do it that way.

Apparently, too good of a deal to pass up! Again and again!

LOL! No, I can't really revoke your status. That is hysterical! They have the happy hour deals in August so I bet they are still there.

I didn't realize it was up on Open Table, I need to check that out!

PHEW!!!

Margaritaville is the only reservation we have made for the Dark Side portion of the trip.

Love the Xplor pictures. That looks like sooo much fun . :goodvibes

Q

Love that place!

Good job on convincing your family you don't need the dining plan! I've been unsuccessful selling OOP & freedom to my husband every trip since our first LOL. It is so much food I don't think you will be missing you! You have some good pics there, and there is a lot of good counter service especially near the BC/Boardwalk/Epcot! I'm so glad you got the dessert party reservation. I can't wait to hear all about it! I cannot believe how close your trip is! Are you in the packing vortex right now? LOL. Oh and I'm starting to get curious about the dark side so I am definitely looking forward to reading another one of your TR, I have learned SO much from you! Safe travels, I hope you have a great time!

They are still not convinced that it is a good idea. I overheard them saying When do you think the first time mom will tell us that is too expensive to order? So it looks like there will be some biting of tongue on my part!

Dee- all this talk about water proof cameras has me wanting one. The only problem? We just bought a Canon Rebel for Christmas, so hubby wants to hear nothing about a new camera. I keep telling him about how we can't take the Rebel to the water parks and how wet it can get in August.

Also, we decided not to do DDP this time too, and I told my husband how great it would be to not have to order specifically what Disney says we do. Told him how we can split appetizers, etc. His response? "I already know I don't want to split." Ha!

Not the only one. I haven't either. I really want to try the Tonga Toast, but just can't seem to commit to making a reservation there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I bought the rebel for Christmas, too, but apparently that didn't stop me from purchasing another camera. Or two!!!

If you have a Sam's Club membership, the Fuji XP seems like a really great deal- Until July 21 there is an instant savings of $40, making the camera $139. This model is currently listed on Amazon for $179. I have been really impressed with the pictures so far.

My husband does agree that we will split desserts and he finally came to the realization that you really do get a lot of food at Disney so we are planning to split a lot of things 3 ways with Ben- order two entrees for us all to share.

Dee - so close now! Good luck packing. Always that last minute thing.

MDE -I just linked my dining and room reservation to the app on my phone. Reservation numbers at my finger tips. In the past I have carried around a whole spreadsheet and separate slips of papers for dining reservations but love it can all go on the app now! Each day you can "add plans".

Again have a wonderful time and hope you have a fridge too!

Rebecca

So excited for you Dee!!!

We've been here since June 30. 4th of July week was insane but manageable. I could not believe how many people there were in EP on the 4th!! EEK!! MK was closed at 5:00!!! That I have never seen.
The condo has been great. We had friends here last week and my sister and family and my parents are flying in this afternoon. It's been really fun having the APs! We went to MK last night around 7 and did a bunch of rides, after just hanging around all day and getting house ready.

It's been fun!!
Are you having dinner w/ Teena w/ your family or alone? I have been meaning to go by to say hi. I will get there soon. I think after she returns from her trip.
You will LOVE HRH and having the FOTL passes. :)
I love NOT having the dining plan. I almost think its more stressful b/c I always want to get the most expensive thing to make it worth while.
We always share desserts since I'm usually to full anyway.
I think you guys will be fine! My boys are not huge eaters but do like the finer things lol.
My DS12 has had salmon at almost every restaurant since we've been here. At FF the other night they put it on a bed of Mickey pasta!! I couldn't believe I was paying almost $40 for that but he ate it all and loved it!!! And thats all that matters. i love how accommodating they are.

Well have a truly MAGICAL trip!! I hope we run into each other!!

If you have any downtime ( I know there isn't much of that lol). Let me know maybe I can meet you for a drink. Just PM me ( I HAVE room in my box). Lol

~ Deb :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Can I tell you a secret???

I'm a little scared about the pacing of the trip.

We have an early flight to Florida, we will be starting out our 3 mornings at IoA/Wizarding World at the 7 am early opening and we plan some late nights. We will get a little break at Disney- we don't have to be at the parks until 8, but we have some late nights planned in our schedule.

And I'm not getting any younger!

I totally agree about the Express Pass at US- it is totally worth staying on site. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Any tips for the Hard Rock?
Hi Dee!! Your family definitely gets up and going earlier than mine! We did hit the HP for early opening but not right at 7, a bit after.

We loved the location of the HRH...so close. I actually wanted to check out the RPR over by IOA but I never got over there. Anyway, HRH was nice...we just were not crazy with the pool. The pool area itself is nice. It's just that the pool is very shallow and really just for sitting in! Seemed crazy to us.

Our room located seemed to be garden view. The room size was good and beds were comfortable. We looked out the back and could see the boat launch area. Boats are quick...not like the Disney ones haha.

I'm still not sure the kids will be interested in the Dr. Seuss stuff or Dr. Doom's Freefall, but even if they won't join us, I think Mark and I will check these out.

Dining- we are excited to try Thunder Falls Terrace. It is counterservice, but it gets great review and it overlooks the Jurassic Park Adventure Ride drop. Cool!

We will miss Jaws, which closed last year. I guess the ride Jumped the Shark! :(

I remember walking through the Seuss area as a quick way to HP area...not many people use this method it seemed. I think I got the tip on a IOA trip report. We did a couple of things in Seuss land. They were cute and on the one ride I took some nice pictures of the area.

We made reservations for Margaritaville through open table as well (and, like you, that was our only reservation at US/IOA). I think we had a 5:30 res...got there and no one was there, but within 30-45 minutes, place was packed. We really liked our meal there. The volcano nachos were HUGE and great. Great admosphere too.

We also ate at Finnegan's in US. We enjoyed that...didn't need reservations. It was in a nice area of US.

I came upon the Lone Palm by accident and loved it!! My DH and DD decided to walk back to HRH and my DS and I decided to take the boat (we were tired and I just wanted to take the boat haha). Well while walking to boat launch I saw the big sign 'Happy Hour...1/2 price drinks' in front of the Lone Palm, so we parked ourselves at the bar and I had two! Was that a great deal...something like $3.65 each. I still talk about it and my son jokes about it as I really felt those drinks (the 95+ temp added to it)

We liked Jaws too and was sorry to hear it closed after our trip. However that area is making way for US expansion! I gotta admit, I wasn't crazy about the Simpson's ride. I had a soft spot for Back to the Future...I guess since I loved those movies! My family loves MIB...we did that at least 3 or 4 times...sometimes getting off and getting right back on again!

I saw you posting on the Y&C thread really late last night (for you!). I'm sure you have much to do, but as always, well prepared!

Have a fantastic trip at both Universal and Disney. Can't wait to read all about it.

Kerry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter