We Need Your Input! Tell Us What You Want!

What format would you like to see the most? Please read thread first!

• Option 1 - one board, no off topic

• Option 2 - one board, small community sub board

• Option 3 - One subject as main board - sub boards for others - on topic only

• Option 4 - one board as main, subs for others including a small community

• Option 5 - Main board small community, topic boards branching off into sub boards from top of main

Results are only viewable after voting.
Patty! That is the perfect option! I totally agree with your thinking! :cool1:

I probably won't read any of the flower and garden posts, I'ill just skip over them. Just out of curiousity I just popped over to that board to see how busy it is and there are only about 20 threads for the entire last month. Thats an average of less than 1 new thread a day. Each thread doesn't have that many replies, so I really don't see how that will garble (is that a word?) up this board too much. I think that maybe we're getting all worked up about nothing.

That being said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to bring photography over here, but even on that board I skip a lot of posts that don't interest me.

I'll keep reading whatever the outcome is. This is the first thing I do every morning after I get my java.

nicurn said:
and if you are so bent on folding the gardening board in which has a zillion posts, why not toss in the photography board too? maggie

Actually, it was not me or the newly appointed moderators that were "bent" on folding" in the gardening board. I had no idea that when I signed up for the cooking, crafting and scrapping board that this would be happening. I was quite surprised myself given that both of my thumbs are rather brown vs. green. This is direction by the admin. of the DIS. I guess they want to consolidate the number of boards they have :confused3 and are merging some less frequented boards together? I don't know. I'm just handling what I was asked to do.

Photography will more than likely remain it's own board because it also has aspects to it that have nothing to do with "home". It also has parts to do with trip planning and how to take the best pictures in the parks. I know that it does seem logical that photography would go with scrapping, but if anything, I would think scrapping should be a sub board off of photography because it's the end product of photography. Let me say right now that I do NOT see that happening so don't panic! LOL

I don't want you guys to think I came in here virtually unknown in your community and I'm ripping your "home" apart. That is why I am involving you guys in the decision making... I was not required to do it, I could have made all the changes myself with no notice.. just a *poof* "here ya go". That is also why I brought Kayla and Judith in first. I just get a "vibe" that some of you guys may be feeling a bit put out because I came in here talking changes. I can assure you that I want to do what is BEST for you guys, that is why I started a poll to find majority opinion.

I can tell you that as a new person to your board, I probably would be less likely to settle in and join the group. I don't scrapbook and the majority of the threads are about scrapbooking/scrapbooking exchanges. Not that there is anything wrong with that - scrapping is hot right now. But for people like me that do other crafts or cook or garden, they may not feel comfortable or give the board the shot it deserves. And I think you guys would love to bring new people in, make new friends and watch the board grow because you are a great, friendly bunch. A while back on the community board someone was talking about beading and someone mentioned this board. They said that they looked over here a few times but it seemed mainly about scrapbooking so they didn't get involved. Once again, it's not a bad thing that scrapbooking is so popular, but it does overshadow the less popular crafts right now.

So.. with all that off my chest.. the poll will stay open through Thursday (I think that is when it is scheduled to close) and we will go with the majority choice.

Besides, you know what? Nothing is ever permanent and if we give it a go for a few months and it's not working? We look at it again and consider changing to another format!

eeyoreforever said:
I probably won't read any of the flower and garden posts, I'ill just skip over them. Just out of curiousity I just popped over to that board to see how busy it is and there are only about 20 threads for the entire last month. Thats an average of less than 1 new thread a day. Each thread doesn't have that many replies, so I really don't see how that will garble (is that a word?) up this board too much. I think that maybe we're getting all worked up about nothing.

I think that flower and garden is a seasonal driven board. I know that back in the spring it was much busier. I also think there hasn't been much promotion towards that board in a while and the majority of new DISers don't know it exists. I bet we can make it grow (pun intended..lol)

The reason I think so many of us like it the way it is right now, is because while we may have a "main" hobby many of us also "do" or have done other things. And as we scroll through to see what the new topics of discussion on our "main" hobby are often see other threads we pop into. I can tell you that because of time management issues, even though I am an avid photographer I've only popped over to the photography board once or twice. If it meant going into a separate board to see what else is going on I probably wouldn't.

But that is just MHO.

Deb

I like that idea, and it makes more sense if you ask me. But who am I , just a lowly scrapaddict. I don't garden and I rarely cook, so its going to be real hard for me to see the changes. Any chance the powers that be will actually listen to us ?

Cyndi princess:

pattyT said:
TO ME
(notthat anyone cares - lol)
IT would make MUCH MORE sense to do a "HOME" board with cooking, gardneing, decorating, etc.
and a seperate CRAFTS and Hobbies Board with Photography, scrapbooking, knitting, whatever.....

How about this idea if the sub boards are coming whether we like it or not
have one community type board but one that is related to crafting and cooking similar to what we have now.
have a sub board that is flower and garden. SInce it had it's own board before, it will seem like it still has it's own board.
then Do nothing else for awhile and see how the board is flowing. If people are unhappy or we have a huge influx of "crafters" then create a sub board for that. Because I have found with new mods they usually bring new people. (I mean this in a possitive!)
Actually a swap board might be one idea. SInce we have made stickies for that stuff. But then you could have a crock pot only board or a one dish meal.....It could go on and on.
Does this all have to happen at once? You know slow change is easier on us old folks! :rotfl:
I know that these changes are not from the new people coming to mod. over here. Been here long enought to know that! So Mean Lauren please don't feel we are attacking you. Just trying to figure out what is going and how to make the board flow.

I seriously think the community board is the one that needs some revamping! I miss the debate board. I know it isn't coming back and totally understand why. But lots of threads get started on the CB that would be better off elsewhere!

OK - I finally voted...and I'll 'fess up. :blush: The reason I hadn't voted earlier was that I was hoping the options would change after input from the rest of our crew. ;)

I'm another who doesn't like change. Now that I scrap (or at least shop for scrapping stuff :rotfl2: :rotfl2: ) I'm perfectly content with the way things are. However, when I first came here I was only interested in the cooking threads. At the time they were about half of the threads here.

We were supposed to mark our recipe threads with "R:" and scrap threads "S:" in the subject line. That worked great when people knew/remembered to do it. But as new people arrived that plan fell by the wayside and it became harder & harder to find the recipe threads - especially since Search was down most of the time back then.

When the title of this board was changed to include Crafting, the general population here seemed to change. For a while there were many posts about different crafts & the recipes got lost almost completely.

Don't misunderstand. I really enjoy all of the people who post here - regardless of their subject matter. I just think that the more topics tossed into the mix, the hard it's going to be to find the things that interest us. (If we would keep things as they are now - one board for all.)

One other thing - Very often I'll see recipe requests over on the CB. I used to just try to direct those people over here - without actually answering the question on the CB. All too often the response was that they'd tried & either it "moved too slow" or the request was "lost in the shuffle" - meaning the scrap/enabling threads. ;)

This group has always been very welcoming to new people in our responses. Unfortunately, the subject lines don't seem as welcoming because they're "all" scrap related. As long as our small 'community board' maintains the same friendly, inclusive atmosphere that the Cooking, Crafting and Scrapping board has I think this will work.

nicurn said:
How do the gardening folks feel about it? maggie

I just looked over there at the post Kayla put up yesterday - two replies & I can only fuigure out those two are not upset/concerned about it like we are here.

I like patty's idea too. I think a home and a craft boards are really what is needed.

The one Reply with a question from the garden board so far said that she didn't mind the Garden board being and Offshot of another board so long as there was a gardening board somewhere

The other two replies have been smiles

hey, I just noticed that the T-shirts are gone (did I miss an announcement, or am I just clueless? :rotfl2: )

Twigs said:
I don't go off topic often, but last year when my mother was killed in a car accident, I posted here to my friends and the support I got was very comforting.
I didn't know you then but do now :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

MomOf2DisneyKids said:
hey, I just noticed that the T-shirts are gone (did I miss an announcement, or am I just clueless? :rotfl2: )
Hey, I WELCOMED these people, I even got a new TAG for these people and now you took them away!!!????? :confused3
I got some VERY cool door sign ideas from those peeps ...ByeBye :wave2:

and I just visited my other DIS hangout, the :boat: Cruise Board and they are 'shuffling' us around, too...... :confused3

Were we all BAD ;) ?

Anyway, I have REALLY enjoyed these boards the way they are....a little cooking with lots of scrapping and general advice...
I think the swaps and Cjs and Monthly Challenges and photo advice and tools and TARGET (maggie sweetie) Alerts will continue on the new 'sub' Scrap group - as they are ALL relative to us.....

So I am heading back to page one to vote for number FIVE as the least of all evils

MomOf2DisneyKids said:

I think the t-shirts thread was moved back to Theme Parks & Planning board. Don't ask because I still don't fully understand yet where we are headed :). I'm learning each day :)!

Being a moderator you are probably pretty thick skinned but I still worry that all our complaining is taken personally, which it is not meant to at all. We don't really understand the reasoning behind the change. You can call the board whatever you want, but if the majority of the participants are scrappers then the posts will reflect that. If someone had a beading question then someone would be sure to acknowldge it, but if no one did beading then the question probably wouldn't be answered. I think it feels like to us scrappers that we are being told that we have taken over this board and management is trying to find a way so that people with different interests post here, which goes against the idea of different boards in the first place. Just my opinion.

Hey, they gave us t-shirt folks OUR OWN BOARD!!!!!!! Come visit! It's awesome! I enjoyed reading your scrapping and cooking threads. I'll be back with questions on how to make my 1st scrapbook after our trip!

ok, I absolutely am going to #%%$ about that one. Y'all want to combine cooking, crafting. scrapping and flower/garden boards together into one big "happy" family and yet the tshirts get their OWN FREAKING BOARD? what's that about? (no offense to the t shirt people, y'all had some wicked cool ideas and I'll have to check you out again) BUT COME ON PEOPLE! That's a slap in the face to the rest of us. (and I can say that cause I'm not a moderator :) ) are ya trying to drive us away from the dis? maggie

triplefigs said:
Hey, they gave us t-shirt folks OUR OWN BOARD!!!!!!! Come visit! It's awesome! I enjoyed reading your scrapping and cooking threads. I'll be back with questions on how to make my 1st scrapbook after our trip!
Hey......back at ya!!!
I am the FIRST one that posted on the new thread by Baloo....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter