We Need Your Input! Tell Us What You Want!

What format would you like to see the most? Please read thread first!

• Option 1 - one board, no off topic

• Option 2 - one board, small community sub board

• Option 3 - One subject as main board - sub boards for others - on topic only

• Option 4 - one board as main, subs for others including a small community

• Option 5 - Main board small community, topic boards branching off into sub boards from top of main

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeanLaureen

<font color=purple>Slam Dancer Extraordinaire<br><
Good morning everyone :)

Well, the discussions between the new mod team have been flying back and forth as to how we can best merge Flower and Garden over and how we can make the bigger combined board grow into a totally awesome (sorry, child of the 80's ;) ) place to hang out.

First, let me clarify something I think will be a question in your minds. For a long time, the DIS has been pretty diligent on keeping threads on the topic of the board they were on. Pete has recognized that on certain boards, a community grows within the people that frequent it. He realizes that not everyone wants to "mingle" within the main CB of the DIS.. it moves fast and sometimes you need to have pretty thick skin ;). Sometimes there are smaller communities that grow to know each other and enjoy sharing not only "topical talk" with each other, but may like to chat with each other about their lives, celebrations, goings on, etc. It is up to you guys to decide whether you are that type of "community". I'm a newbie within your ranks and I don't think it would be fair for me to make a call as to whether you guys need a place like that.

We have several options for you guys to ponder over. Think about how you would most like to see your home on the DIS and vote in our poll. I'll leave the poll running through Thursday and if you guys could keep this bumped for everyone to see, I would appreciate it :)

Here are your options!

Option 1 - Merge Flower and Garden over into this board and this board remains as one single unit with all topics mingled within. No off topic threads allowed, we stay completely on topic.

Option 2 - Merge Flower and Garden over into this board and all topics remain as one single unit mingled within. As a sub board, you have a small community board for chatting with each other for off topic subjects, exchanges, etc. Anything (within reason ;) ) goes on that board.

Option 3 - One subject (either cooking, crafting, scrap or gardening) becomes the main board and the other subjects branch off as sub boards. All posts remain on topic - no community

Option 4 - One subject (either cooking, crafting, scrap or gardening) becomes the main board and the other subjects branch off as sub boards. Included in the sub boards is a small community board for chatting.

Option 5 - The main board is your "community" type board - kind of like a family room where you guys come in to talk (okay.. enough house analogies Lauri..lol) All the topical boards - cooking, crafting, scrapping, gardening... would branch off from the top of this board as sub boards. So basically, when you click on the link from the main directory on the DIS, you would be taken to your "creative community" board and see on the top of the board, a link to go to the individual areas. If you wanted to avoid going straight into the community board, you could bookmark the link that directly takes you to your subject of choice.

As you are probably thinking, each has their own pro's and con's.

Cons:

With the first two options, will some subjects get buried under more popular subjects and threads?

With options 3 and 4, how do you decide what topic is the most important to get to be the main board? I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on what the main subject is.

With option 5 - do you even want to have a "just for crafters/cooks/creative types" community board? Do you guys think that you would want to be able to chat off topic?

Pros:

With options 1 and 2, it's just one board, one link, you see all subjects mixed throughout if you like to dabble in all of the areas

With options 3 and 4 - threads are more organized, you can go straight to the subject you are interested in. That also equals less stickys on one board because they would be divided up amongst their homes (I'm not a fan of a lot of sticky threads.. clutters up the first part of the board, but that's just me ;) )

With option 5 - you guys can really grow as a community if that is something you are interested in.

Just a clarification... by using the term "community" board, I do not mean that you will be in any way linked to the main community board here on the DIS.. I am talking about a completely isolated community board for the people that hang out on this board only!

Okay.. poll should be up in just a minute.

Let us know what you think - and if you are confused by anything, please post your questions before you vote and we will try to answer you!

Thanks!

that's alot of choices.

I gotta think about this one :)

I think I'm going for option 5. I definitely like the chatting off topic. And entering here is good because we can all say hi and then take off to the "kitchen" for cooking or the "garden" for our lesson in herbology. Sorry Lauri I couldn't resist 2 more analogies! ;)
Anywho, That is my choice. Ok off to vote!

Edited to add Woo Hoo I hit 500!

When I first saw the title, I thought not question, I want money and lots of it! :teeth:

Then I realized it was a boards question, I think option five sounds great!!!

I voted for 5 also because we (as a board) tend to go off topic but no one seems to mind. That is the kind of community we are. that is one of the reasons I like it so well here. I have made several on-line friends here with several common links, Disney, scrapping, Girl Scouts... We are a great group of ladies, friendly and always helpful. I have never heard or seen a nasty comment on this board (not to say it couldn't have happened). I, personally, would like to see it stay that way. I am not for change in anyway of this board. I like it the way we are, but will move on with it also.

So many choices! :earseek: I haven't voted yet, but think option 5 might work the best for me. I already think of this board as its own community and if I have something of a personal nature to share this is the group I want to come to for support and/or a :hug:

The only problem I can think of is how to decide where to put some threads. The only example that I can think of right now is GrayFal's thread requesting die cut donations for a support group. While the scrappers would be the ones most likely to have ways of cutting things to send, the general subject matter is more community oriented & would get more viewing there. You know what I mean? :confused3

Keep those opinions coming
the more we have the better

and piratesmate
I would guess in a case like that if we did end up with option 5 than we would just have that posted on both the community and the scrapbooking

I haven't voted yet, but I too am leaning toward #5. I don't go off topic often, but last year when my mother was killed in a car accident, I posted here to my friends and the support I got was very comforting. I don't think anyone posts off topic too often, just at times to announce something significant going on in their lives. And as we have all come to know one another here, it is nice to share these occasions, happy and sad.

3.gif

I voted for 5. I think having a small community board for us would be great plus being able to zero in on the topic we are interested in would be great also.

Just my opinion.

hmmm, I'm not a fan of any of the options. I like what we have right now. I mean, if I can't post about target, it would be a disaster! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: maggie

nicurn said:
hmmm, I'm not a fan of any of the options. I like what we have right now. I mean, if I can't post about target, it would be a disaster! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: maggie
You could post about target on our community board
don't worry about that we wouldn't ban Target posts :rotfl:

I guess option 5 seems the closest to what we have now...so I guess I'll vote for that. Although (yep throwing in a monkey wrench) why couldn't we just expand the topic of the board to cooking, crafting, gardening & scrapping and let threads develop as they will? The few "off topics" would be in there with everything else? And yes, I do like being able to share with friends here either in a separate posts, or some of the tangents threads take.

Deb

FantasticDisFamily said:
I guess option 5 seems the closest to what we have now...so I guess I'll vote for that. Although (yep throwing in a monkey wrench) why couldn't we just expand the topic of the board to cooking, crafting, gardening & scrapping and let threads develop as they will? The few "off topics" would be in there with everything else? And yes, I do like being able to share with friends here either in a separate posts, or some of the tangents threads take.

Deb

isnt this option 1?

The "community board" would welcome any Target posts from you Maggie!!!

I voted for option 5.

nicurn said:

dizney-cruiser said:
isnt this option 1?

Option 1 says "No off topic" so what Deb was saying would not fall under option 1.

I think I like Deb's option the best. Change the title and let us keep the board the way we really like. Or at least the way "I" really like :rotfl2:

Anyone around here a DVC member??? Remember all the confusion with the DVC community board. I no longer lurk there (or post) because it is too freaking hard to know where to post. Posts were being moved all the time. I certainly hope that doesn't happen here. :confused3

Since what I want isn't listed I voted for #5. Saying that, I think we just keep things the way they are! I hate change! Come on, PLEASE! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter