We DO make a difference! First the arm, next CRV!

Barnum01

Mouseketeer
The 257-foot-tall Mickey Mouse arm, glove and wand logo
structure at Epcot is coming down. Epcot Vice President Jim MacPhee
announced yesterday that the time has come to remove the structure,
which has served both as a colorful, lighted Epcot sign since 2000,
and as a lightning rod for criticism from Epcot purists who contended
the image was out of character for Epcot's architecture. The arm and
glove went up for Walt Disney World's 2000 millennium celebration.
Deconstruction of the 50-ton structure begins Monday, and will be
completed shortly before the park's 25th anniversary, October 1. Also
coming down are the 36-foot-high "Epcot" letters and colored stars
splashing across the sphere. Also Monday, the Spaceship Earth ride
will close to complete a refurbishing sponsored by Siemans AG. The
work should be done by November, MacPhee said.

First, the arm and wand are coming down. Second, they ARE actually acknowledging Epcot's (sic) 25th Anniversary in some form or fashion. Third, just to make this relevant, how can they not put DVC at the Comtemporary? Tink, wherever you are, you wielded more power than you could have ever thought possible (but I still want a member's only WEDway entrance into Tomorrowland instead of wasting time on the monorail).

The arm is coming down! I may have to make a trip this year just to see the thing removed. We can only hope the wretched Leave a Legacy pylons go soon too.

Regards

Let's just hope "they" aren't listening to the "Disney's Contemporary Resort Parking Tower" contingent. ;)

(Wouldn't it be hilarious if Disney made a fake announcement about the new "Contemporary Parking Tower" that they're building, just to yank our chains?)

I am starting a campaign. Who cares about the arm. REMOVE THE TOMBSTONES!!!!!! Move them to a graveyard. Think of the profit potenital.. YOU can be buried at WDW!!! near your Picture. (Considering how much empty space is on those tombstones they can deal with LOTS of us LOL!

FYI
Taken from the ALL EARS newsletter issue #406 under news bites, doesn't make it so but.......

The Leave A Legacy program, first launched at Epcot in Fall
1999, has been discontinued as of June 16, 2007. The current
display of more than 550,000 tiles at the main entrance of Epcot
will remain for the time being. The Leave A Legacy Locator
station will be relocated to the Camera Center underneath
Spaceship Earth. If you need to get information about your Leave
A Legacy tile from home, contact the following email address:
WDW.EC.legacy@disney.com

I am starting a campaign. Who cares about the arm. REMOVE THE TOMBSTONES!!!!!! Move them to a graveyard. Think of the profit potenital.. YOU can be buried at WDW!!! near your Picture. (Considering how much empty space is on those tombstones they can deal with LOTS of us LOL!

I care about the arm. My first DVC stay was a BWView - and I look out the window and see - that ugly arm. We haven't booked one since - I hate that arm. So now maybe we'll book BW View again and get to take advantage of one of the features of our resort.

But I also care about the "War Memorial" - that is another eyesore. I suspect the guy in charge of Epcot for a time has a living room decorated in beer cans and neon Budweiser signs and thinks its beautiful.

Out of everything of the Disney Parks......Those tombstones are worse, most unsightly, and non-disney things at WDW. The are just cold. Totally ruin any sight line looking into Epcot.

Everytime we enter into and exit EPCOT, my wife has to hear for 5 minutes how much i hate and dispise those things. There is plenty of room for them, to the right of the entrance.

While were at it...

250px-MGM_hat.jpg

I suspect the guy in charge of Epcot for a time has a living room decorated in beer cans and neon Budweiser signs and thinks its beautiful.
Actually, crisi, it is a "known fact" that neon beer signs not only add a homey glow to a room...they are also energy efficient!

Maybe they are taking down the arm so it can be relocated to the top of CRV:rotfl:

I realize that I'm in the minority, but I actually like the arm and wand. As far as the hat, that's a whole 'nother story, but I'm going to miss the EPCOT arm and wand.

NO, NO, don't take the LEAVE a LEGACY!!! Our pictures are on the first pier on the right as you come in through the turnstyles, and it is our tradition to go touch our photo first thing each trip!!

I realize that I'm in the minority, but I actually like the arm and wand. As far as the hat, that's a whole 'nother story, but I'm going to miss the EPCOT arm and wand.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who likes the arm!

I loved the wand over Spaceship Earth. And I'm very sad it's coming down. We head down on Friday, so I hope they don't get very far with the demolition. I want to enjoy it one more time before it goes. :sad1:

I like the wand and arm too! So bummed it's coming down. It added a bit of pizazz to an otherwise dull-looking structure. Now it's just a daft giant golf ball.

Don't care much for the Legacy monuments for the same reason as the Sorcerer's Hat. They are in the absolutely worst place. The hat is the most egregious as it completely blocks the view of the Chinese Theatre... a marquee for MGM.

Yep, let's get rid of that thing that dominates the space and completely obliterates the Chinese theater replica.

Standing ovation for you!:thumbsup2
I love the wand, hate, hate the hat! IMO, it is useless, completely destroys the view on Hollywood Boulevard...If they HAVE to have the darned hat, move it!!!!

Rant over:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter