DVacationer

Disneyworld Vacationer
Im currently laying down on the bed in Aulauni on check out day. This is my review / thoughts of Aulani and Hawaii / Oahu as a 1st timer after staying here 4 nights.

4 nights is good for a minimum but 5 would be perfect ( we arrived 10am arrival day and left at 9pm on day 5 but more nights would be nice and relaxing too)
I didnt get that special feeling coming to Hawaii that people talk about. I get that special feeling landing in Orlando. But keep in mind I live in Southern California 10 minutes away from the beach so maybe thats why.
Aulani is 80% Animal Kingdom lodge + 20% Polynesian but with the ocean instead of the savannah
If I come back to Oahu, im only staying here. feels AMAZING coming back to Aulani at the end of the day
A car is a must
waikiki beach area / main street feels like a cleaner Las Vegas blvd nice to see once but it was the lowpoint of the places we saw.
we have someone with a handicap so we toured mostly by car and not hiking much and it was AMAZING.

There is 2 Must do and most beautiful places to see that we just drove through. Driving Highway 1 to north and east of the island (windward) to the Kuaoloa Ranch area. 2 is Ho’omaluhia Botanical Garden. It was heaven on earth especially walking down to the lake and seeing the majestic mountains behind. The whole drive through the gardens is like a forest safari at Animal Kingdom.

Matsumoto shaved ice isnt anything special to me
cooking in the room was my fave
Dukes was nice ambiance but food was underwhelming.
poke at aulani was great, fries are really good!
the store across the street of aulani is way overpriced. grocery items in aulanis giftshop were cheaper.

Disneyworld is better. If you have to decide between Aulani / Oahu and Disneyworld, choose Disneyworld. I know people say its different and all but if it comes down to taking a trip there or here, I’d choose Disneyworld. So much to do, lots of beauty there (different beauty) , better food, more options, so many hotels, and its SO CONVENIENT. BUT you must come once to see the majesty of the mountains of those 2 places I mentioned prior (Keep in mind Ilive in Socal close to a beach so your milage may vary if you dont see an ocean and mountains regularly).
The service at aulani wasnt as good as disneyworld. I didnt hear many CMs say aloha as you walk by as in the polynesian. It was more local people working here then the trained cast member feel of disneyworld. Food accommodations were tougher here. Lots of “no” to substitutions even in regards to food restrictions.
The tv in the room plays nature sounds, birds chirping instead of disney music and I LOVED IT. Left it on most the stay and played hawiian music on a bluetooth speaker.
I HAD AN AMAZING TIME. SUCH BEAUTY. AND AULANI WAS THE PERFECT COMPLIMENT TO THE TRIP.
the pools are really nice, so much to explore in Aulani but the ocean/ beach was my fave to be in. So calm and clean.
If I think of more thoughts I will update.
UPDATE:
Rented the Luana lounge for an hour before leaving Aulani for my flight. Such a wonderful amenity. It was free, had a tv, table chairs, couch, showers, bathrooms. Added a video tour next post.
Radiostation 105.1 FM is what you want to put on while driving. Classic Hawaiian music.
The research I did all pointed to Kuai and Maui being lush and beautiful and not really Oahu but the North and East of the island was absolutely spectacular and lush so don't think you will miss true natural beauty if you go to Oahu. You will be amazed. You don’t have to pick between staying at Aulani and seeing an island thats lush and tropical, Oahu surprised me in that regard.
If you love the fact that WDW includes and takes care of your transportation, this was a big difference with a Hawaii vacation. The main attraction to Hawaii is exploring it which involves driving yourself (or getting arrangements for someone else to) which includes all the everyday stuff that comes with that (actually drive, gas, pick up drop off, booking etc) and I do that in my everyday life so having that be part of the vacation is definitely a negative. Also, traveling by monorail and boats and skyliner is so much cooler! But again, the highlight of Hawaii is exploring it at your own pace so its a double edged sword.
Dont substitute a WDW vacation for Hawaii, do everything you can to ADD It to your annual WDW trip.
The feeling of coming home from Hawaii knowing you are going to WDW in a few months still is pretty special 😊

1BF351C3-ADD3-4EBF-81D8-3A8C886D4C6A.jpeg0D508EBD-6146-496B-B6DE-357D8D0E09F4.jpeg31A24E01-D468-448C-B0E2-667A47721981.jpegC1A4B47B-57C3-45C0-8F50-0160E3938BBB.jpeg225057CB-9840-4B48-863B-69F4DB3D2DDD.jpegE31512FA-A4BF-4A4D-8DF6-D3D5B142EA67.jpegF018B454-0C78-49EE-A9FE-35037F42C9B2.jpegE90F928A-FBDA-4FD4-9762-AB02614340E5.jpeg011083B1-A427-484F-8CEC-41FAABEC9F69.jpeg

Last edited:

We are here now. We are in a 2 bedroom ocean view for 10 days, which never quite seems like enough. We come from chicago so we spend as much time as possible. We usually get a one bedroom but we had lots of points to use ftom the Covid years that we did the two bedroom. I love the extra space!

We had so many flight credits left from the Covid years we flew business class both ways. Gotta admit I’m too spoiled to go back to coach for this long trip so I’ll just have to budget accordingly in the future.

We didn’t even rent a car this time. Because we really only use it one day, to drive around the north shore on our way to airport. We don’t do much but sit by pool, read, do lazy river, go into a clean once a day. . We did luau last night. We cook in some nights. Going to Catina across the way for dinner. Tonight. And then monkey pod later in week. We will probably do Mina’s at four seasons for happy hour one day.

We go to WDW every March for 2 weeks and may go to parks one day. So this is no different than what we do at WDW. The parks hold little interest for me although my husband and daughter still like them.

We are here now. We are in a 2 bedroom ocean view for 10 days, which never quite seems like enough. We come from chicago so we spend as much time as possible. We usually get a one bedroom but we had lots of points to use ftom the Covid years that we did the two bedroom. I love the extra space!

We had so many flight credits left from the Covid years we flew business class both ways. Gotta admit I’m too spoiled to go back to coach for this long trip so I’ll just have to budget accordingly in the future.

We didn’t even rent a car this time. Because we really only use it one day, to drive around the north shore on our way to airport. We don’t do much but sit by pool, read, do lazy river, go into a clean once a day. . We did luau last night. We cook in some nights. Going to Catina across the way for dinner. Tonight. And then monkey pod later in week. We will probably do Mina’s at four seasons for happy hour one day.

We go to WDW every March for 2 weeks and may go to parks one day. So this is no different than what we do at WDW. The parks hold little interest for me although my husband and daughter still like them.
That sounds amazing. we do WDW similarly the way you do Aulani. Split stay usually at Grand Floridian, Polynesian & Wilderness Lodge for 2 weeks. The parks are the icing on the cake. We never rent a car there, tour the other resorts, relax,cook in the room some nights, so much to do. Love it.
My wife and I love both Aulani and DW, though if I had to choose only one, it would be Aulani. Far prettier and peaceful and no crowded parks.
It definitely is pretty and peaceful. The crowds dont bother me at WDW because the rides aren’t the main attraction. We just love the ambiance and being there.
I live in southern california so Im close to the beach and do see mountains (not as pretty as Hawaii for sure). WDW is very pretty to me too. All the different themes, hotels, very different but very pretty.
The Disney lover in me really gushes when I see Cinderella Castle from the Polynesian beach across the lagoon.

That was a nice balanced review! Thanks for writing it.

I feel like the parks and Aulani/Hawaii are just such different vacations. But I get it… you gotta choose where to spend your vacation time/money. We are in AZ so we do DL roughly every year and then WDW/Aulani every 4th year- so every two years taking a big long DVC trip. This works well for us right now!

That sounds amazing. we do WDW similarly the way you do Aulani. Split stay usually at Grand Floridian, Polynesian & Wilderness Lodge for 2 weeks. The parks are the icing on the cake. We never rent a car there, tour the other resorts, relax,cook in the room some nights, so much to do. Love it.

It definitely is pretty and peaceful. The crowds dont bother me at WDW because the rides aren’t the main attraction. We just love the ambiance and being there.
I live in southern california so Im close to the beach and do see mountains (not as pretty as Hawaii for sure). WDW is very pretty to me too. All the different themes, hotels, very different but very pretty.
The Disney lover in me really gushes when I see Cinderella Castle from the Polynesian beach across the lagoon.
Am in SoCal as well! Neither beaches nor mountains compare, and the Oahu flight as you know is pretty easy. But then Orlando, being equidistant, is too.

Our favorite places are WDW and Oahu. We go to both most years. Weather is always an issue in WDW but not in Oahu and Oahu is a lot cheaper trip.

Our favorite places are WDW and Oahu. We go to both most years. Weather is always an issue in WDW but not in Oahu and Oahu is a lot cheaper trip.
Thats awsome. If you could only go to 1 in a year, which would you pick? For us, WDW isnt more expensive because we are annual passholders and DVC members, we dont rent a car and we LOVE the rain.

Thats awsome. If you could only go to 1 in a year, which would you pick? For us, WDW isnt more expensive because we are annual passholders and DVC members, we dont rent a car and we LOVE the rain.
We will do a quick Oahu trip, like 4 days, it is just so easy to get to. We love WDW but it is at least a 7 day trip. We like to see everything but we are not getting up a 7am and do not like to have those marathon days.

We are in DVC Grand Californian, best decision I ever made, we will do 3-4 staycations for 2 days at Disneyland and maybe a couple days in Aulani.

Im currently laying down on the bed in Aulauni on check out day. This is my review / thoughts of Aulani and Hawaii / Oahu as a 1st timer after staying here 4 nights.

4 nights is good for a minimum but 5 would be perfect ( we arrived 10am arrival day and left at 9pm on day 5 but more nights would be nice and relaxing too)
I didnt get that special feeling coming to Hawaii that people talk about. I get that special feeling landing in Orlando. But keep in mind I live in Southern California 10 minutes away from the beach so maybe thats why.
Aulani is 80% Animal Kingdom lodge + 20% Polynesian but with the ocean instead of the savannah
If I come back to Oahu, im only staying here. feels AMAZING coming back to Aulani at the end of the day
A car is a must
waikiki beach area / main street feels like a cleaner Las Vegas blvd nice to see once but it was the lowpoint of the places we saw.
we have someone with a handicap so we toured mostly by car and not hiking much and it was AMAZING.

There is 2 Must do and most beautiful places to see that we just drove through. Driving Highway 1 to north and east of the island (windward) to the Kuaoloa Ranch area. 2 is Ho’omaluhia Botanical Garden. It was heaven on earth especially walking down to the lake and seeing the majestic mountains behind. The whole drive through the gardens is like a forest safari at Animal Kingdom.

Matsumoto shaved ice isnt anything special to me
cooking in the room was my fave
Dukes was nice ambiance but food was underwhelming.
poke at aulani was great, fries are really good!
the store across the street of aulani is way overpriced. grocery items in aulanis giftshop were cheaper.

Disneyworld is better. If you have to decide between Aulani / Oahu and Disneyworld, choose Disneyworld. I know people say its different and all but if it comes down to taking a trip there or here, I’d choose Disneyworld. So much to do, lots of beauty there (different beauty) , better food, more options, so many hotels, and its SO CONVENIENT. BUT you must come once to see the majesty of the mountains of those 2 places I mentioned prior (Keep in mind Ilive in Socal close to a beach so your milage may vary if you dont see an ocean and mountains regularly).
The service at aulani wasnt as good as disneyworld. I didnt hear many CMs say aloha as you walk by as in the polynesian. It was more local people working here then the trained cast member feel of disneyworld. Food accommodations were tougher here. Lots of “no” to substitutions even in regards to food restrictions.
The tv in the room plays nature sounds, birds chirping instead of disney music and I LOVED IT. Left it on most the stay and played hawiian music on a bluetooth speaker.
I HAD AN AMAZING TIME. SUCH BEAUTY. AND AULANI WAS THE PERFECT COMPLIMENT TO THE TRIP.
the pools are really nice, so much to explore in Aulani but the ocean/ beach was my fave to be in. So calm and clean.
If I think of more thoughts I will update.
UPDATE:
Rented the Luana lounge for an hour before leaving Aulani for my flight. Such a wonderful amenity. It was free, had a tv, table chairs, couch, showers, bathrooms. Added a video tour next post.
Radiostation 105.1 FM is what you want to put on while driving. Classic Hawaiian music.
I agree with your opinions on 80% AKL/20% Poly, Waikiki, rental car, and Aulani Poke. I prefer Foodland grocery delivery over getting groceries across the street or at the gift shop.

We go to WDW and Aulani each twice a year, for about two weeks each time. And we love the rain as well!

I agree with your opinions on 80% AKL/20% Poly, Waikiki, rental car, and Aulani Poke. I prefer Foodland grocery delivery over getting groceries across the street or at the gift shop.
I didnt think about grocery delivery! But I did take the car and went to safeway the next day. Much better then across the street.

Also, had to get this, love it :
DC4AC976-FCDB-4E3B-AFEC-81EE4037C7BC.jpeg

I didnt think about grocery delivery! But I did take the car and went to safeway the next day. Much better then across the street.

Also, had to get this, love it :
View attachment 703343
Oooh. I love it! Is that a light in the shade? Last year we bought the full size version, and opted to have them ship it to us to avoid the inconvenience of lugging it home ourselves. Big mistake. Though the lamp ships from a manufacturer on the mainland, which you’d think would speed things up, it didn’t arrive until two months after we got home.

Great report!

There really is something special about going to Foodland and coming back to your villa to cook in Hawaii. Even if it's the same food you make at home, doing it on vacation is like a treat.

I agree that having a car for at least half the trip is a must. Aulani is great, but the rest of the island is worth seeing.

I'm curious how you reconcile these two statements:

It wasn't special, but it was heaven on Earth?

Or do you mean literally landing at the airport didn't give you a special feeling? I wouldn't expect it to.
There were moments that were absolutely spectacular and special. But there wasnt an overall special Hawaiin feeling just being on the island. Definitely didnt get a special feeling just arriving at the airport either. Heard alot of people say that so I wanted to address it based on my experience.

Oooh. I love it! Is that a light in the shade? Last year we bought the full size version, and opted to have them ship it to us to avoid the inconvenience of lugging it home ourselves. Big mistake. Though the lamp ships from a manufacturer on the mainland, which you’d think would speed things up, it didn’t arrive until two months after we got home.
Yes! Its so pretty. They didnt have the full size when I was there. Glad you got it!
Oh my goodness! Where did you get that?
This was in the main giftshop at Aulani. I saw it the first day we were there and said Id buy it later in the trip but it was SOLD OUT UNTIL THE LAST HOUR OF THE DAY WE DEPARTED! I couldn't believe it. Lesson learned. Buy what you want when you see it and return it if you change your mind. There were like 20 of them when I first saw it, couldn’t believe they sold out the next day.

There were moments that were absolutely spectacular and special. But there wasnt an overall special Hawaiin feeling just being on the island. Definitely didnt get a special feeling just arriving at the airport either. Heard alot of people say that so I wanted to address it based on my experience.
Hm, interesting. I wonder if that feeling comes from a second visit, where you start to get that same "welcome home" vibe you get when you land in Orlando. Or maybe six months from now you'll wake up with an itch to go back.

I definitely felt "it" the first time I went to Hawaii, but Disney Cruise Line is one that took a little while to get its hooks into me. But once I was in, I was all in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter