Warning- daily safety and security room check

I honestly can barely follow your logic. He was implying that those reacting negatively were hysterical types.
He wasn't. I don't know him, we don't discuss what each is going to post. Heck, I didn't even know he's male.
Your statement seemed to imply that all assault victims with enough gumption should get over themselves (that’s how you’re coming off).
Interesting interpretation. I say what I mean. Nothing I posted indicated my attitude does or should apply to anyone except me. Hence the use of the word "I".
I was merely pointing out that some men & women might be justifiably uncomfortable with this policy
The statement came across as being all-inclusive, therefore presumptive.
timeshares
We are discussing timeshares? What happened to the originally stated hotels?
I’ll be sure to ask around about the policy of other timeshares.
I realize this is an all over policy, but maybe the timeshare aspect should be discussed on the DVD forum? Many, many, many, many more visitors stay in hotels than at DVC proprties, right?

And I haven't had anyone knock and then a few seconds later walk in in the name of security.
Hmm. Brings up an interesting point. I am curious about the actual - vs. perceived - time between the knock and the entry. Seriously. I know there's frequently a bus wait discrepancy.

He wasn't. I don't know him, we don't discuss what each is going to post. Heck, I didn't even know he's male.

Interesting interpretation. I say what I mean. Nothing I posted indicated my attitude does or should apply to anyone except me. Hence the use of the word "I".

The statement came across as being all-inclusive, therefore presumptive.

We are discussing timeshares? What happened to the originally stated hotels?

I realize this is an all over policy, but maybe the timeshare aspect should be discussed on the DVD forum? Many, many, many, many more visitors stay in hotels than at DVC proprties, right?
I see you ignored half of what I said & twisted the rest. I’ll take myself off to the DVC forums now........

Hmm. Brings up an interesting point. I am curious about the actual - vs. perceived - time between the knock and the entry. Seriously. I know there's frequently a bus wait discrepancy.

There have been plenty of reports of it being a small amount of time. My experience with housekeeping at most hotels is that they knock and say housekeeping about three times and if you holler at them just a second, they usually wait. I've had the same experience with maintenance and room service at hotels. The way Disney is doing this doesn't sound like that is happening (or at least there are reported incidents of it not happening).

That just got me thinking...I wonder if room service counts as a check? The deluxe hotels have in room dining. I would so order some morning pastries to get the check out of the way... especially on our non park days.

I had a knock and maybe a 2 second wait last week at Pop from security. The knock startled me. I jumped off my bed to answer the door and a man was in my room. Now, I didn’t have the room occupied sign on. Maybe that made the difference on how quickly he decided to enter? I only saw that particular security man once, so maybe that’s how he rolls.

My regular security man last week gave me time to open the door. But I opened the door quickly, probably within two to five seconds or so anyways, because I was near the door every single time. I’m not sure how long it would take him to enter if I didn’t answer the door.

There have been plenty of reports of it being a small amount of time. My experience with housekeeping at most hotels is that they knock and say housekeeping about three times and if you holler at them just a second, they usually wait. I've had the same experience with maintenance and room service at hotels. The way Disney is doing this doesn't sound like that is happening (or at least there are reported incidents of it not happening).

Yes. My experience with housekeeping is the same as yours. Housekeeping knocks and they call out housekeeping. When security knocked on my door, they were silent. They just knocked.

Folks, the thread is circling the drain. Complaining about Disney policies is fine, attacking each other is not.

In attempts to get this thread back on track before it gets locked...

Does anyone know if ordering room service and having the room service person come in the room counts as a daily room check?

In attempts to get this thread back on track before it gets locked...

Does anyone know if ordering room service and having the room service person come in the room counts as a daily room check?
Just to clarify, only a Housekeeping visit or a Security personnel visit counts for the daily room check. You increase your odds by declining housekeeping and keeping the "Room Occupied" Sign up for long periods of time.

Dave

The checks they are doing at the front line are the very first in a long line of security. Security at Disney is likely one of the best and most advanced behind the military! (Ok i'm exaggerating here but I'm sure its top notch).

To suggest that Disney has one of the most advanced security just behind the military is laughable.

I've lived through military security. To compare Disney to that security, really is laughable.

I've quoted and bolded myself for your benefit. If you choose to ignore that to further your own agenda then go for it.

Anyway. Good luck to whatever decisions people make. It is your money and your right to do so. Nothing sends a message to a business more than their pocket book.

For us, we've visited since the checks have been implemented without issue. Maybe we've been just lucky. Regardless, our plans won't change.

If Hilton's are doing this, they're doing it far less obtrusively than Disney. I stay at Hilton properties for a week or more about 6-10 times a year. And I usually only get housekeeping in the middle of the week. This is in various cities across the US. And I haven't had anyone knock and then a few seconds later walk in in the name of security. I've had them call to see if I needed anything, but beyond that, no obtrusiveness.

I said the same thing upthread. DH is in hilton properties several nights every week plus all our personal and kid sports travel. No sign of room checks happening at all. Seems like they just write the policy and added some small print here or there to cover their tooshies.

Honestly it isn’t the checking that bothers me about Disney, it is how intrusive and excessive it is. My 2 yr old needs a nap or our evening is ruined. And no, if they knock on the door she won’t go back to sleep. So I am just following along to see how things go the next couple months before I make a decision. We will either day off property or try out US or I will sit outside the door during her naps and discuss the issue with the CM if they come to do a check. They can feel free to check the room everyday, just not while dd2 is napping. And don’t knock btwn 9am and 9pm unless their is an emergency. I don’t think that is so much to ask.

Honestly it isn’t the checking that bothers me about Disney, it is how intrusive and excessive it is.
Complaining here is ineffective. Succinct emails (one per person, one each from every household member) to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com would probably work better https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/09/how-write-effective-complaint-letter

Some of this doesn't apply here, but the first bullet is extremely important:
Use this sample letter and these tips to write an effective complaint:

• Be clear and concise. Describe the item or service you bought and the problem. Include serial or model numbers, and the name and location of the seller. If you’re following up on a conversation, be sure to say who you spoke with and confirm the details of your discussion.
  • State exactly what you want done and how long you’re willing to wait for a response. Be reasonable.
  • Don’t write an angry, sarcastic, or threatening letter. The person reading your letter probably isn’t responsible for the problem, but may be very helpful in resolving it.
  • Include copies of relevant documents, like receipts, work orders, and warranties. You also may want to send copies of emails and notes from conversations you’ve had with the seller about the problem. Keep your originals.
  • Include your name and contact information. If an account is involved, be sure to include the account number.

How many of you have actually written to or called Disney to express your concern or displeasure with this policy? I have...included my displeasure with the dog policy too and that policy wasn't rescinded as we all assumed our outcry would do. They've extended it indefinitely.

Only recourse really is to not patronize them, Show of hands...who is willing to put their money where their mouth isn't and stay elsewhere?

:wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2:

The above smilies represent the number of nights (17) that I am NOT staying in a Disney Hotel for my next trip. I am staying at a hotel that has a kitchen, living room and 2 queen beds for $101.58 dollars a night. That includes tax.. There is no parking fee nor is there a resort fee.

$101.58 dollars a night
Oh, and there's a free breakfast.
AND a FREE Beer and wine happy hour.
It's 5 minutes north of Disney Springs.

AND.... Yes, I did contact Disney and tell them of my concerns about all the crazy "carp" going on with the room checks and the rip off parking fee and the shoddy house keeping leading to DIRTY rooms.

I did not discuss the "Hospital" style sterile room redesign. Sadly that ship has sailed.

~NM

:wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2:

The above smilies represent the number of nights (17) that I am NOT staying in a Disney Hotel for my next trip. I am staying at a hotel that has a kitchen, living room and 2 queen beds for $101.58 dollars a night. That includes tax.. There is no parking fee nor is there a resort fee.

$101.58 dollars a night
Oh, and there's a free breakfast.
AND a FREE Beer and wine happy hour.
It's 5 minutes north of Disney Springs.

AND.... Yes, I did contact Disney and tell them of my concerns about all the crazy "carp" going on with the room checks and the rip off parking fee and the shoddy house keeping leading to DIRTY rooms.

I did not discuss the "Hospital" style sterile room redesign. Sadly that ship has sailed.

~NM

I need your travel agent’s phone number lol.

HopperFan - i totally agree! I hate to complain on vacation but I was at the end of my patience! The one day they softly knocked and before we could get to the door, a man and woman came in and my hubby was sitting on the end of the bed in his undies! They said they were there to check the air conditioning... when I stated nothing was wrong then it changed to they needed to check the bathroom. The phone calls became a joke as we thought it was funny that they would leave voicemails asking if everything wa ok? At least once a day and often twice! The one day I asked why the man was there as we have housekeeping daily and he referred me to the room occupied sign that stated at the bottom their right to enter the room at anytime! Funny at the poly it was totally different.

This is so funny to me because I had a similar experience at ASMu in June. Shortly after I arrived at my room, (with only a carryon because my luggage hadn't yet been delivered by ME), there was a knock on the door. When I opened the door there was a nicely dressed CM with an iPad. He said the shower curtain needed to be changed, and would it be alright if Housekeeping came to do it. He did not enter the room.
About 15 minutes later housekeeping knocked and came in to change the shower curtain. She left , then about 10 minutes later a maintenance guy knocked and said he was there to fix the lock on the connecting door. I told him I already checked it and it was working fine. He said he still had to check it. He locked and unlocked it a few times then left.
I was beginning to think I was being punked!!!

On a previous visit to POFQ in Feb, I had opted for no housekeeping. The tiny little trashcan that is in the room was starting to overflow, so when housekeeping was outside of my room I asked if she could just empty the trash. She said no, she wasn't allowed to enter the room because I had opted out of housekeeping! I asked if I could just hand her the trashcan over the threshold and she said that would be fine.

Everything is just so strange now!!!

ETA I never received anything to indicate their new security policy, and on each visit there was also no Room Occupied sign to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter