Walkable, touristy, downtown areas

Wow, thanks everyone! This thread turned out to be more fun than I expected! :) So many great ideas (and some that’s I’ve been to and forgot, lol)!

Our favorite small city downtown is St. Charles, Missouri. Whenever we are in the St. Louis area we always stop here. The historic downtown sits right on the Missouri river. There are restaurants ,gift shops etc.

Ah, yes, how could I have forgotten to mention Mackinac Island/Mackinaw City! Went for the first time this year and loved it!

And Alaska is definitely on my bucket list!

Bonus points if there are any in Florida. ;)

Dunedin, FL
Safety Harbor, FL
Tarpon Springs, FL

Galena, Illinois. I just got home this afternoon from four days there. My first time. We loved it. Galena is exactly what you have described. We stayed right on Main Street at the historic DeSoto House Hotel. They have a free parking garage and we walked everywhere. We were there during this recent heatwave and still had a great time. Went on a Ghost Tour, took a trolley tour of the area. LOTS of shops and restaurants.

I can highly recommend.

Williams AZ-the downtown is fun and full of Rte 66 memorabilia along with some great places to eat. And close to Grand Canyon as well..

My two favorites that I have nit seen listed yet:

Doylestown, PA (one of the very best small towns to visit as it has some great historic sites)
Mckinney, TX

I am fortunate to have homes in 3 that I really enjoy. Winter Park, Fla. St. Jacobs Ontario and Tobermory Ontario.
Go to Bar Habor once a year. Very nice.
St. Armands Fla 3 or 4 times a year.
Shady SIde, Pa
Squirrel Hill, Pa
Ligonier Pa
Strip District, Pittsburgh
Stone Harbor NJ
Elora Ontario
Mt Dora, Fla
St Aug, Fla
So many.

I am interested in Mt. Dora. Is it close to Orlando? We are going for 16 days and only 3 this year at the theme parks. I have visited St. Augustine many times and would like a change.

I am fortunate to have homes in 3 that I really enjoy. Winter Park, Fla. St. Jacobs Ontario and Tobermory Ontario.
Go to Bar Habor once a year. Very nice.
St. Armands Fla 3 or 4 times a year.
Shady SIde, Pa
Squirrel Hill, Pa
Ligonier Pa
Strip District, Pittsburgh
Stone Harbor NJ
Elora Ontario
Mt Dora, Fla
St Aug, Fla
So many.

I am interested in Mt. Dora. Is it close to Orlando? We are going for 16 days and only 3 this year at the theme parks. I have visited St. Augustine many times and would like a change.
It's a nice small town about 45 mins north of WDW, easy to get to from that area. Lots of interesting old stores, good restaurants, antique stores and art festivals certain time of the year. Much less touristy than St. Aug, more of a northern small town vibe going for it.

Culpeper, VA about an hour north of Charlottesville. Interesting shops, bakeries, great restaurants!

...little downtowns with fudge, ice cream, t-shirt shops, etc...
Does anyone know of other good ones? :)

several already listed:
Plymouth, Portsmouth, Mount Dora, Lake George

adding:
Hammondsport, NY

Last edited:
It's a nice small town about 45 mins north of WDW, easy to get to from that area. Lots of interesting old stores, good restaurants, antique stores and art festivals certain time of the year. Much less touristy than St. Aug, more of a northern small town vibe going for it.
TY will try it.

No one has mentioned Santa Fe, NM. That's a fun one.

Pearl District in Portland OR was mentioned, but Portland has numerous neighborhoods that are fun to explore. Restaurants, shops, breweries, food carts, coffee shops, plus always ice cream, donuts, a Thai place and a marijuana dispensary. :) Also rivers and bridges, farmer's markets, wineries, hiking and nature, a great zoo. And even a nice downtown. We are moving there within the next year, so excited can you tell?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter