Walkable, touristy, downtown areas

Sedona. Its more upscale than some of the other suggestions in this thread. But it has what you're looking for

I did a quick search and I’d be interested in Sedona.

Eureka Springs, AR looks nice.

I’ve been planning a Philadelphia trip for a while and haven’t made it out yet. But the Old City area is on my list.

Edit: Nantucket looks nice, as well.

Melbourne, FL has a quaint downtown district that's very walkable. Here in NY, my recommendations would be Lewiston, NY (just outside of Niagara Falls, NY and on the Canadian border), Alexandria Bay, NY (Thousand Islands), and Cooperstown, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame).

Madison, CT
Branford, CT
Guilford, CT
Essex, CT
Mystic, CT
New London, CT
Springfield, CT

Kingston, RI
Providence, RI
Newport, RI
Warwick, RI

Rhinebeck, NY
Amenia, NY
Ithaca, NY
Buffalo, NY
Cooperstown, NY
Oswego, NY

Lancaster, PA
Philadelphia, PA. Pick an area/interest and enjoy since it's much bigger than a town
Tannersville, PA

Somehow I keep missing MA and haven't really explored it since the late 70's/ early'80s. Still as much as Cape Cod has changed ( used to own a cottage in North Truro and last I heard it looks like a giant condo development now...sniffles) I know it's heart remains. Same for MV and Nantucket.

Last edited:

1 not yet mentioned: Charlottesville, VA. Very nice pedestrian mall with shops and restaurants downtown. About 20 minutes away is the university where you can take a guided walking tour, and about 30 minutes away is Monticello, which is beautiful and a nice way to spend an afternoon.

As a Buffalonian, I will qualify this by saying that the Elmwood district of Buffalo offers what OP describes. Downtown Buffalo proper is still a work in progress ;)
I envy your regular access to the Falls and the Knox-Albright Museum (or is it Albright-Knox?). Whichever my times in your city have been memorable. Err also landing/departing on a plane and realizing just how flat a plain can be:D :cool:.

ETA- I visited your town for the first time back in the '90's when a friend was teaching at SUNY Buffalo. and took me to a buffalo wing bar joint. I remember the roof had a definite dip in the middle but I was just drunk enough not to care (oops); hope that's one of the places that's getting fixed, LOL.

Last edited:
It's not touristy, but a college town. Pullman WA has a quaint downtown. Coffee shops, small restaurants, used book shop, bike store, etc. One block away is a paved walking path along a creek that flows year round. Honestly I miss having a walk able down town. Just across the state line is Moscow, Idaho and they have a nice downtown too.

If you want historical, then Columbia State Historic Park in Columbia, CA. Its a town closed to vehicles. Ice cream, candy shops, museums, bars, etc. Very cute.

San Luis Obsipo also has a nice downtown area. Plus there's the weekday farmers market.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter