Wait your turn!! New seating rules for CS restaurants at WDW...

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! how incredibly rude! You do realize that's like saying that no disabled guest should be allowed to have a GAC because Disney didn't create that situation. Or that I should not stand on a bus to let a pregnant lady sit down because I did not create that situation. It's not about who's at fault, it's about having a little compassion for people! What if it's not a divorice, what if the parent is a widow? What if the single parent is on a MAW trip? Does that make it different for you?

So what if you got to the table at the same time as the person with food? Do you let them sit or tell them to get away from your table?

For the person who asked why we don't save tables here's my story. When I was younger it was because my mom and dad were divoriced and we generally only had one adult with us at a time. Later I developed several disablities which require me to be a bit more careful of what I eat. I need to know what kind of sauce is on things, what kind of oil they cook it in etc. Too many things for my boyfriend to have to remember and make a decision on, so I always go up to the counter to order/ask questions. So why doesn't DBF get the table? While I also have some physical problems with my arms (mostly the right one) that I'm in physiotherapy for now. There's no way I'd be able to carry a tray to the table by myself without either being in horrible pain or dropping the thing, no matter how close the table was. That's why we just wait together and get a table after. I suppose I could ask a CM to carry the tray for me, but then everyone behind me in line would be complaining that they had to wait while the CM disappeared! One time we tried to have DBF sit at a table near the ordering area and when the food was ready he got up to carry the trays, well as soon as his rear left the seat some lady tossed our backpack off of the chair and plunked her family down, then refused to move even after we explained the situation. I guess she also thought her family was more important than anyone else......

Wow, you think I am rude! You are painting a very sad picture of me - that could be considered rude. You don't even know me, just that I get a table and wait for my food. How can you judge me?

Yes my children are number 1 in our family while at WDW. And I wish you would not quote words I never said. I have a handicapped child in a wheelchair, but I wouldn't ask the single mom to give up her table for my family!! I would not ask her to carry my things for me, or my food. I would not ask her to give up her table if I had food and she didn't. I would never toss someone's backpack on the floor and steal their seat. Please don't compare me to that person - I would never be so rude. You seem to be assuming that I would take a table from someone, I would never be so rude. I will sit at a table while my food is being ordered, see I am waiting for food that is being paid for. And, yes I have encountered my share of rude people, and downright mean people in WDW - almost never did a person stand on a bus when my baby was in my arms, the logic here is severely lacking credibility - and all I said in my previous post was that I did not create the situation. period. I never said I would be rude or mean to the single mom. And no, I would not push a family out of the way if we got there at the same time. But if I get there first I will not get up and move just so they can sit down. Maybe more compassion is needed by some posters on this board - the ones who feel they are entitled to my seat just because they have food in hand and mine is on the way.:rolleyes1

elan said:
But how do you know these were all "table savers" and "not like to relax after eating table users"?
Hmm,,, maybe they conversed while they were dining and the table-saver was saving?

I think we're running into a brick wall of sorts with some who in the past, myself (the OP) included, have always saved tables for lack of a better system and didn't see anything wrong with the habit. Now for some reason, they seem to have deemed the old table saving system as the be all, end all best system since sliced bread, and now refuse to even consider a new, potentially better, seating system. To those people, I can only say that you really should give the new system a chance and actually experience it. I feel pretty confident that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

RACHELSMOM1 said:
I didn't say I would not be compassionate and courteous toward the single mom, but some people whine about their situation in life, and I believe they should just get up and do what they have to do to get through each day, not expecting to be treated differently just because their situation is different.
Absolutely. All people should expect to be treated equally. Since, in this case, people in a position to save tables are not treating those not in such a position equally, Disney is testing a process that seems to be working well.

SlightlyGoofy said:
kaytieeldr, how often have you seen folks at McD's (or any other fast food restaurant) standing in line with their entire family while ordering the food?? Just wondering.
Couldn’t tell you. Couldn’t even tell you the last time I ate in a fast food restaurant… The three greatest inventions of the 20th century: microwave ovens, drive-through windows, and curbside-to-go. ;)
SlightlyGoofy said:
I can see the frustration of those who have their food and cannot find a table and I can see the point of those who fear that will happen to them if this becomes a rule. Having read several posts that explain the layout of PB more fully I can see where it might work in that case.
While it’s not a ‘rule’ at this point, all reports indicate it IS working, and that AS Guests are ready to eat, there is a variety available to each party. I agree location matters. As I said earlier, I can’t see the same thing working at Sunshine Seasons – it’s just simply not designed for that kind of control.

Please be considerate of others opinions.......the OP was telling us that the policy will be going into effect for cs restaurants......

micksterlee said:
I some how find it hard to believe they are going to be able to stop some people from having a seat while waiting for food.
I honestly don’t understand why you don’t believe it. EVERY person who’s experienced this set-up has stated that it WORKS.

RACHELSMOM1 said:
Yes my children are number 1 in our family while at WDW. And I wish you would not quote words I never said. I have a handicapped child in a wheelchair, but I wouldn't ask the single mom to give up her table for my family!! I would not ask her to carry my things for me, or my food. I would not ask her to give up her table if I had food and she didn't. I would never toss someone's backpack on the floor and steal their seat.
I do believe all that. On the other hand, it seems from your earlier posts that if you and your daughters were heading for the one empty table while your DH waits in line for the food, at the same time that solo mom with her kids was heading for that table with their food, you would take the table even though it’s visibly apparent they are going to be eating, while you would be waiting for your food to be ordered and delivered.

But how do you know these were all "table savers" and "not like to relax after eating table users"?

I don't think relaxing after dinner is too common at a cs restaurant, but even if it were, why would that make any difference in tackling the table saving problem? I think table saving is a much more common behavior and causes a shortage of tables, so I'm glad it's being dealt with regardless of what Disney does about other behaviors.

While it’s not a ‘rule’ at this point, all reports indicate it IS working, and that AS Guests are ready to eat, there is a variety available to each party. I agree location matters. As I said earlier, I can’t see the same thing working at Sunshine Seasons – it’s just simply not designed for that kind of control.

I think you're 100% correct on that assumption. Sunshine Seasons, with escalators practically emptying into the dining area, and an open floor plan would be hard to police. IMO, CS restaurants like Tusker House, PB's, Pinocchio's, Columbia Harbour House etc., with doorway entry access would be the only viable options for this new system.

Maybe more compassion is needed by some posters on this board - the ones who feel they are entitled to my seat just because they have food in hand and mine is on the way.:rolleyes1

So....What is going to be your reaction when you go for food and told that you can't be seated until you have food in hand? :confused3

I don't think relaxing after dinner is too common at a cs restaurant, but even if it were, why would that make any difference in tackling the table saving problem? I think table saving is a much more common behavior and causes a shortage of tables, so I'm glad it's being dealt with regardless of what Disney does about other behaviors.

I agree and think that, as you say, the overwhelming majority of park guests want to get up and back to enjoying the attractions. However, what's to say that "table savers" don't like to hang around after lunch/dinner as well? At least with the new system, Disney is guaranteed to stop half of it.

I don't like this policy. It should be first come first served, food in hand or not. If some people want to plan ahead and get a table in advance, they should be able to, without being policed by table nazis. Those people who complain about walking around looking for a seat with food while others were saving could have just saved seats themselves. That way no one's stuff gets cold before they can sit.

Flame away. :laughing:

I don't like this policy. It should be first come first served, food in hand or not. If some people want to plan ahead and get a table in advance, they should be able to, without being policed by table nazis. Those people who complain about walking around looking for a seat with food while others were saving could have just saved seats themselves. That way no one's stuff gets cold before they can sit.

You missed the point and reality of the policy. Everyone will be shown a table by a cast member when they have food in hand. No waiting for a table to open or looking for one. That is the whole point. When people save tables and wait 10 - 15 minutes for their food to arrive, it makes a shortage of tables. This system eliminates the problem.popcorn::

tigger536 said:
I don't like this policy. It should be first come first served, food in hand or not.
Well, no, now that you mention it, the policy should be “first served, first seated”. At any rate, once again, IT IS WORKING. WELL. Plus, again, it is only being tried at certain locations for now, AND it is only being done at PEAK TRAVEL TIMES.
tigger536 said:
Those people who complain about walking around looking for a seat with food while others were saving could have just saved seats themselves
Not necessarily. Has anyone you know mastered being in two places at once (other than that guy in that commercial)? It’s impossible to be in line ordering, paying for, and picking up food AND be saving yourself a table. Honestly, people DO dine alone. Sometimes people even visit Disney without anyone along.

I think we're running into a brick wall of sorts with some who in the past, myself (the OP) included, have always saved tables for lack of a better system and didn't see anything wrong with the habit. Now for some reason, they seem to have deemed the old table saving system as the be all, end all best system since sliced bread, and now refuse to even consider a new, potentially better, seating system. To those people, I can only say that you really should give the new system a chance and actually experience it. I feel pretty confident that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

As Eric Hoffer said; "In times of change the learner will inherit the earth while the learned are beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists."

Wow, you think I am rude! You are painting a very sad picture of me - that could be considered rude. You don't even know me, just that I get a table and wait for my food. How can you judge me?

Yes my children are number 1 in our family while at WDW. And I wish you would not quote words I never said. I have a handicapped child in a wheelchair, but I wouldn't ask the single mom to give up her table for my family!! I would not ask her to carry my things for me, or my food. I would not ask her to give up her table if I had food and she didn't. I would never toss someone's backpack on the floor and steal their seat. Please don't compare me to that person - I would never be so rude. You seem to be assuming that I would take a table from someone, I would never be so rude. I will sit at a table while my food is being ordered, see I am waiting for food that is being paid for. And, yes I have encountered my share of rude people, and downright mean people in WDW - almost never did a person stand on a bus when my baby was in my arms, the logic here is severely lacking credibility - and all I said in my previous post was that I did not create the situation. period. I never said I would be rude or mean to the single mom. And no, I would not push a family out of the way if we got there at the same time. But if I get there first I will not get up and move just so they can sit down. Maybe more compassion is needed by some posters on this board - the ones who feel they are entitled to my seat just because they have food in hand and mine is on the way.:rolleyes1

First of all, I'm sorry if my post offended you. You are correct in saying that I don't know you, but I do know what you wrote down. You saying "I didn't create that situation" comes across to me as : It's not my problem that other's may have difficulties and I don't care. Secondly, I never quoted anything that you didn't say. Quotes appear in those yellow boxes with italicized text. Anything I write in my post is in response to what you wrote and NOT a quote. Thirdly, the last paragraph in my post starts with "For the person who asked why we don't save tables"... This was in response to another post and was addressed this way and had NOTHING to do with you or your post.

I once again would like to apologize if I hurt your feelings as that was not my intention. I just thought that maybe if people understood why not everyone is capable of saving seats for their family then they might at least understand the other side of the story. I realize that people aren't going to change their minds here, but this IS a forum for debating and discussing topics and I personally enjoy hearing other opinions whether they are in line with mine or not. I can truly say that I see things differently since I've joined these boards. I'm no longer so quick to judge the parents with the screaming child, and I'm more careful of ECVs and wheelchairs when I'm walking. In order for there to be any change though people have to have an open mind. Your opinion may be different than mine, but both are valid. I do respect your family's right to sit down at whatever table you want whenever you want, because as of yet there are no rules against it. However, you should also respect that it is frustrating to those who are not able to get a table ahead of time for whatever reason, and they may not be happy that you are sitting at a table without food.

If I saved my table this year, Diser's would be talking about child neglect for leaving a 9 year old where I couldn't see him. Not everyone can save a table--single parents, solo travelers, and those captivated by an old fashioned appreciation for good manners to name the most obvious. This isn't the same as saving a spot for a parade because the saving here blocks the flow of the restaurant and makes it harder for other people to find a seat when it's their turn to eat. I think it's more akin to line cutting, though of course, much more socially acceptable because more people do it (I've done it too, but I don't think it was or is the right thing to do.)

I honestly don’t understand why you don’t believe it. EVERY person who’s experienced this set-up has stated that it WORKS.

I do believe all that. On the other hand, it seems from your earlier posts that if you and your daughters were heading for the one empty table while your DH waits in line for the food, at the same time that solo mom with her kids was heading for that table with their food, you would take the table even though it’s visibly apparent they are going to be eating, while you would be waiting for your food to be ordered and delivered.

Please do not take my posts out of context. I would never take away a table from anyone, but if I get there first, yes I will sit there. I would never fight over a table, and I would never push someone away from a table, but if I am there first with my children (and my handicapped daughter, by the way) I will not get up just so the other person can sit there - my food is coming!! Probably will have my food in a couple of minutes by the way!! So, would anyone on these boards deny my handicapped daughter a chance to be settled at the table while our family waits for our food? Her needs are important just as a single mom's needs are. I have been painted as some kind of monster on this thread and I assure you I am not!!

If I saved my table this year, Diser's would be talking about child neglect for leaving a 9 year old where I couldn't see him. Not everyone can save a table--single parents, solo travelers, and those captivated by an old fashioned appreciation for good manners to name the most obvious. This isn't the same as saving a spot for a parade because the saving here blocks the flow of the restaurant and makes it harder for other people to find a seat when it's their turn to eat. I think it's more akin to line cutting, though of course, much more socially acceptable because more people do it (I've done it too, but I don't think it was or is the right thing to do.)

This is about how I feel.

Well, no, now that you mention it, the policy should be “first served, first seated”. At any rate, once again, IT IS WORKING. WELL. Plus, again, it is only being tried at certain locations for now, AND it is only being done at PEAK TRAVEL TIMES.
Not necessarily. Has anyone you know mastered being in two places at once (other than that guy in that commercial)? It’s impossible to be in line ordering, paying for, and picking up food AND be saving yourself a table. Honestly, people DO dine alone. Sometimes people even visit Disney without anyone along.

I agree and this doesnt just apply to people who dine alone. It applies to people who have too much food/drinks for just one person to carry and people who are with someone (a child, baby or handicapped person) who cant be left on their own.

People who dont have their food yet, dont need a table yet. I understand that everyone wants to make sure they get a table but it really should be first served-first seated. Thats how everything else works. You get in line, you wait your turn, you get your turn, etc. Why should getting a table be any different than the way everything else at WDW works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter