Wait your turn!! New seating rules for CS restaurants at WDW...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, what I think she's saying is that it's prudent to plan ahead. I wouldn't walk up to a busy hotel and expect a room. I guess I could get lucky and score one, but that's iffy and may not be the best choice for me or my family. So to get what I personally need for myself and family I wisely plan ahead. That's how I see this topic. It's just smarter to plan ahead.

The food court at our mall is always packed. And not with people who paid good money to be there and are in a hurry to get back out to the action. It's packed with teenagers just hanging out, old ladies, just hanging out, as well as people actually eating or yes...gasp....waiting for their food. It is absolutely imperative to find a table first. Usually I am just finding a table by the time DH gets the food. It's a lot harder to find a table for 5 or more. Add to that the wheelchair issue and it's almost impossible. If we didn't plan ahead we'd be standing there with our food waiting for a table to "magically" appear. That, to me would be stupid. The food court area is so vast we'd be wandering all over. And wandering in a wheelchair (or a stroller), while carrying food is not easy!!

So as long as the "saving a table" option is still legal we will still do it. For me and mine it just makes sense. Actually up until I read all these threads on the Dis I couldn't believe there were any people with more than 2 in their party that wouldn't do this.:confused3

I guess for some people that's just what they do and that's fine, as long as you are ok with families like mine that do what we need to do.:)

Hopefully it won't effect me in my September trip. We don't do Pecos Bill's anyway. But if it does, and I have a problem with it I will most certainly be voicing my opinion to all the proper people.

Kimba

If those without having already purchased their food were not occupying tables be they teenagers grandmothers or table savers there is little likelyhood that table saving would be needed.

If those without having already purchased their food were not occupying tables be they teenagers grandmothers or table savers there is little likelyhood that table saving would be needed.[/QUOTE

You are so correct. It seems the posters against this system don't understand the logic behind it.:confused3

If those without having already purchased their food were not occupying tables be they teenagers grandmothers or table savers there is little likelyhood that table saving would be needed.

Actually alot of times those people aren't even eating at all!! Just chatting. :rolleyes: But that's not common at Disney. But people are people everywhere.
Lets be honest though, I'm no more likely to convert you into a "table saver" then you are going to convert me into a ...hmm.."non-table saver"!! It's just what we both are comfortable with. We both need to do what we think is right. Non table savers are championing the people who need a table and already have their food. And table savers are championing people who need (for whatever their personal reason is) to save a table. We should no more judge their need for saving then we should judge the thinking of not saving. It's just a personal choice. But alas we will and do judge...it's human:guilty:

I'm honestly trying really hard to understand why a family wouldn't save a table. Is it lack of prethought? I'm not trying to be rude..what I mean is do you just jump in line and not give a thought to whether or not there's a place to sit? Do you just assume there will be a table that suits you..because there "should be"? Or is because you've just always done it that way? Please give me your logic behind this. I think us "dreaded table savers" have given very good explanations as to why we do it. And please don't give me "because it's wrong". That's way too subjective. You can say it feels wrong to you, that's different.
Thanks,
Kimba

I'll just add my two cents in here (again) - we were at Pecos Bill twice last week. The first time we waited, in line, outside until we were allowed in. Had to tell the CM how many in our party. Walked in - no wait to order food (this was high noon on Sunday, July 1st - the park was packed!) We ordered - my son and I waited while my husband left to find a table. The CMs asked him how many in his party - he said 3 - and they let him find a table to wait for us.

I think once you're in the door, you're fine to proceed to find a table and allow one person to order and get food. So folks with small children, strollers, etc., can go find a table - just tell the CM that someone from your party is in line for the food.

The second time (high noon on Saturday July 7th,) there was no one at the door managing seatings. This time I secured a table while my husband and son ordered and waited for food. The wait for our food was very short.

I don't think it's going to be a stringent as some believe it to be. We had counter service once per day and Pecos Bill was the only place we encountered the CMs directing the flow.

<snip>
I am sorry if a single mom has 2 little ones to handle alone, but I did not create that situation , and my children:cheer2: , :bride: , princess: , are number one when we are at WDW. Some may call that selfish, but I call it Family!!!

I think this is pretty offensive and believe people should be compassionate and courteous to others, even if they didn't create a situation.

jparc said:
You are so correct. It seems the posters against this system don't understand the logic behind it. :confused3

I agree. It seems like some people don't realize that it's the act of table saving that creates a situation where there aren't enough tables.

Reading this thread is really eye opening. It's kind of sad to see the mentality of those we'll encounter, while trying to enjoy the magic. I, for one, hope everyone has a wonderful visit & don't think it's all about my family getting the best seat. I guess the "magic" brings out the worst in some people. :confused3

Actually alot of times those people aren't even eating at all!! Just chatting. :rolleyes: But that's not common at Disney. But people are people everywhere.
Lets be honest though, I'm no more likely to convert you into a "table saver" then you are going to convert me into a ...hmm.."non-table saver"!! It's just what we both are comfortable with. We both need to do what we think is right. Non table savers are championing the people who need a table and already have their food. And table savers are championing people who need (for whatever their personal reason is) to save a table. We should no more judge their need for saving then we should judge the thinking of not saving. It's just a personal choice. But alas we will and do judge...it's human:guilty:

I'm honestly trying really hard to understand why a family wouldn't save a table. Is it lack of prethought? I'm not trying to be rude..what I mean is do you just jump in line and not give a thought to whether or not there's a place to sit? Do you just assume there will be a table that suits you..because there "should be"? Or is because you've just always done it that way? Please give me your logic behind this. I think us "dreaded table savers" have given very good explanations as to why we do it. And please don't give me "because it's wrong". That's way too subjective. You can say it feels wrong to you, that's different.
Thanks,
Kimba

If I had no special reason to save a table with a special attribute ie. more space for a wheelchair etc then the way I have been brought up is that you should order and recieve your food before seating that way you leave the maximum number of tables free for the longest time for those who have food. On another thread a number of people have said that they would offer seats to those who have food share tables etc but in my experience that is rare.

Why do people who seem to compalin about the me generation see this situation as a case of planning ahead not being inconsiderate. If you wanted a guaranteed seat surely that is a TS restaurant.

Lets be honest though, I'm no more likely to convert you into a "table saver" then you are going to convert me into a ...hmm.."non-table saver"!!
Well, the only way to convert Andy into a table-saver would be to accompany him on his trips. As a solo traveler, he CAN’T save himself a table.

And table savers are championing people who need (for whatever their personal reason is) to save a table
Again, I contend that saving a table is the equivalent of turning a counter service restaurant into a table service restaurant for one’s own convenience. Diners who want to sit at a table while their food is being ordered and prepared are doing exactly that – altering the design and intent of the location.

Well, the only way to convert Andy into a table-saver would be to accompany him on his trips. As a solo traveler, he CAN’T save himself a table.

Again, I contend that saving a table is the equivalent of turning a counter service restaurant into a table service restaurant for one’s own convenience. Diners who want to sit at a table while their food is being ordered and prepared are doing exactly that – altering the design and intent of the location.

Actually I am not a solo traveller but my children ave been taught to wait in line without screaming, running around and being unmanageable. Being obviously uneducated I though this was the right thing to do!

I think this is pretty offensive and believe people should be compassionate and courteous to others, even if they didn't create a situation.

I agree. It seems like some people don't realize that it's the act of table saving that creates a situation where there aren't enough tables.

I didn't say I would not be compassionate and courteous toward the single mom, but some people whine about their situation in life, and I believe they should just get up and do what they have to do to get through each day, not expecting to be treated differently just because their situation is different.

Some people are just so uptight about getting a seat - just go with the flow, there are always seats to be had. Sometimes we just have to wait. The "act of table saving" you say is the problem, please tell me how. Give me a concrete reason. Please tell me how, when we are all there to do the same thing, eat our food. So, we all need a table. It is not illegal to sit down before we get our food, so I just don't see it.

tarheelmjfan, there are far more people like yourself than the others. Never fear. :) I will share a table with you if we should ever meet. I collect stories not pins.

kaytieeldr, how often have you seen folks at McD's (or any other fast food restaurant) standing in line with their entire family while ordering the food?? Just wondering.

I can see the frustration of those who have their food and cannot find a table and I can see the point of those who fear that will happen to them if this becomes a rule.

Having read several posts that explain the layout of PB more fully I can see where it might work in that case. Who knows?? Only those who have tried it, with different scenerios. One size does NOT fit all.

Nuff arguing for a bit, I have work to do. Not nearly as much fun either.

Slightly Goofy

:dance3: Well, yes, if my children and I are already headed to the table overlooking IASW, prime table for my girls, yes I would sit there with my girls while Dad goes for the food. I have paid just as money as the other person to get into MK and my girls love to sit in the seats overlooking IASW. :banana: We would not run over somebody who was ahead of us, but if we are headed to that table and we get there first, you bet we are parking ourselves there for our meal!! I would not get up and move just because another person has food in their hands. We are purchasing food, also. There are always plenty of seats at Pinocchio's and you can always find one somewhere.
I am sorry if a single mom has 2 little ones to handle alone, but I did not create that situation, and my children :cheer2: , :bride: , princess: , are number one when we are at WDW. Some may call that selfish, but I call it Family!!!

WOW! how incredibly rude! You do realize that's like saying that no disabled guest should be allowed to have a GAC because Disney didn't create that situation. Or that I should not stand on a bus to let a pregnant lady sit down because I did not create that situation. It's not about who's at fault, it's about having a little compassion for people! What if it's not a divorice, what if the parent is a widow? What if the single parent is on a MAW trip? Does that make it different for you?

So what if you got to the table at the same time as the person with food? Do you let them sit or tell them to get away from your table?

For the person who asked why we don't save tables here's my story. When I was younger it was because my mom and dad were divoriced and we generally only had one adult with us at a time. Later I developed several disablities which require me to be a bit more careful of what I eat. I need to know what kind of sauce is on things, what kind of oil they cook it in etc. Too many things for my boyfriend to have to remember and make a decision on, so I always go up to the counter to order/ask questions. So why doesn't DBF get the table? While I also have some physical problems with my arms (mostly the right one) that I'm in physiotherapy for now. There's no way I'd be able to carry a tray to the table by myself without either being in horrible pain or dropping the thing, no matter how close the table was. That's why we just wait together and get a table after. I suppose I could ask a CM to carry the tray for me, but then everyone behind me in line would be complaining that they had to wait while the CM disappeared! One time we tried to have DBF sit at a table near the ordering area and when the food was ready he got up to carry the trays, well as soon as his rear left the seat some lady tossed our backpack off of the chair and plunked her family down, then refused to move even after we explained the situation. I guess she also thought her family was more important than anyone else......

Ok..I never said anybody was uneducated...except for maybe me! I did ask WHY that's all!! I think maybe some of this might have to do with where you live too. I live in south Jersey. The mall food courts, McDonald's, etc. are always packed! It's find a seat when you can or eat in the car. I also think that my being a wheelchair user has something to do with my perspective. Obviously a solo traveler wouldn't be able to save a seat. But it is easier to find a seat for one then 5 or 7. My kids can wait in line just fine too. They always have. It's those kids that don't do well in lines that can be a problem. Sometimes this isn't bad parenting, sometimes kids have hidden disabilities that make waiting very difficult. When my nephew was on steroids after his bone marrow transplant he was horrible! Trust me you'd want us to get a table...probably far away from you!:rotfl: He just didn't like to wait very much - it was the medication.

Anyway, I'm trying to see both sides of this and I really hope that everyone else can too.

Kimba

I didn't say I would not be compassionate and courteous toward the single mom, but some people whine about their situation in life, and I believe they should just get up and do what they have to do to get through each day, not expecting to be treated differently just because their situation is different.

Some people are just so uptight about getting a seat - just go with the flow, there are always seats to be had. Sometimes we just have to wait. The "act of table saving" you say is the problem, please tell me how. Give me a concrete reason. Please tell me how, when we are all there to do the same thing, eat our food. So, we all need a table. It is not illegal to sit down before we get our food, so I just don't see it.

Let's say the wait for a CS meal is 15 minutes. People go in, Dad stands in line, Mom finds a table, which takes her 5 minutes. So for 10 minutes, that table is taken up by someone who is not eating. Meanwhile, someone with food is looking for a table and can't find one. They walk around for 5 minutes before they find one, then sit down and eat. Of course, their table, just like the example table with "mom and dad" was occupied for 10 minutes in which no one was eating also. Sprinkle this situation around the restaurant, and you've cut the dining capacity significantly because a table occupied for 40 minutes was unnecessarily occupied for 10 minutes. That's a table being held with no eating for 25% of its use! I don't think it takes 30 minutes for the average family to eat, but a shorter eating time would make that an even larger percentage number. That's the reason people can find tables when CM's are directing them and not allowing table savers.

Reading this thread is really eye opening.

I agree.

I tend to avoid CS dining as I have learned that I don't like to wait in line for my food and then wait for a table. Like some others here, I sometimes travel alone, and I too have some issues which make it difficult for me to manage a tray.

My solution has been to dine at TS locations, or do take aways from places like Wolfgang Puck Express and eat in my DVC studio. Frankly, while that does work for me, I would like to have the option to revisit CS locations during anything other than the quietest times of the year.

While it appears that this thread will not change the mindset of those who believe that their table saving behaviour is acceptable, DISNEY has taken steps to change this behaviour. If this experiment is successful, I expect that we will see it continue in more locations.

As with most things, I trust WDW to find the most cost effective, revenue generating, guest friendly solution. They consider all three of those elements in the equation before implementing new methods.

Prime example, we got our pizza's at Pizza Plant, we couldn’t' find a seat because so many people were saving tables, some folks were standing and eating, finally we asked if we could sit at someone’s table that only one person was saving until their party arrived, he said yes, well we finished our pizza BEFORE they even got to the table to eat!

Prime example, we got our pizza's at Pizza Plant, we couldn’t' find a seat because so many people were saving tables, some folks were standing and eating, finally we asked if we could sit at someone’s table that only one person was saving until their party arrived, he said yes, well we finished our pizza BEFORE they even got to the table to eat!

But how do you know these were all "table savers" and "not like to relax after eating table users"?

On our Easter trip the CMs couldn't keep people from smoking wherever they wanted or kids from skating around on heelies. I some how find it hard to believe they are going to be able to stop some people from having a seat while waiting for food.When we do CS I don't want the whole clan in line mine or some one elses.When the CMs get enough power to stop people from doing things that endanger their lives and others then they may be able to convince herds of hungry tired people they have to wait till they have food to be seated, we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter