Very disappointed withe the kid's programming

It is obvious that many posters have never cruised other cruise lines or read about them. You will see that Disney is very much different than the norm in the industry in restrictions for children. It is fine for some, but we prefer what the rest of the industry does in that public areas are open to all and there is no need to place your child in a program that he or she may not like. Taking your children in the evening to the Rockin' D Bar is not appropiate? Sorry, I don't have a problem with it. I just saw a band, people drinking beer and dancing. Is that going to scar my kids for life watching that? Big deal! It seems more appropiate than family bingo! That is gambling and I don't see anything family about that! I sure don't take my kids to the bingo halls that are all around my house.
Does Disney's resorts have the same type of segregation also? I really don't know. If they do, I wouldn't like that either. Disney's formula of family cruising does not appeal to us. That is all.

I also do not take my children to local bingo clubs at home - and definitely do not take them to the local night clubs/bars in the evenings either.

I just thought I would add that the night clubs are so smokey that I definitely wouldn't take my children there. My husband and I went for one show and it was so smoky that we never went back. The "off Beat" show we went to would have definitely been inappropriate for children as there were many sexual references being tossed around. There seemed to be lots of options for families in the evening, even "nightclub" type stuff like dancing late into the evening that you could bring the kids to when we went last week. The main problem I saw with the Kids Club and Lab last week is that they weren't calling parents to pick up kids who were acting out. This took away from my kids experience because some kids were just really behaving poorly. My daughter did say one child was asked to sign out the third time she said "whatever" in a snotty way to one of the counselors. My 5 year old son had his arm repeatedly squeezed by one "overaffectionate" boy and he was never asked to leave. I also have a very shy daughter who was not as comfortable in the clubs, but this is something we deal with every day for her so I expected that. How your child is in school before you go is what you should expect on the ship. If they have problems in school, don't expect them to be anything but themselves on the ship. She enjoyed her time there, but didin't go as often as my other two. She loved Peter and my older daughter cried when she had to say goodbye to Vivi! My son could not stop talking about "Chia Pet" and "Sausage" so hats off to these wonderful counselors who really made a positive impression on my kids!

There had to have been some other family activity besides bingo to take your children to. I didn't take my DD to bingo. She was in the kid's club having a blast. Some parents take their kids to bars.
I don't want my child in that atmosphere with alcohol, inebriated people, cigarette smoke, and loud music. Do you take them to bars with you at home also? Some parents don't use good judgement about where they take their kids or what they expose them to. The movies, concerts, TV shows some parents let their kids be exposed to just blows my mind.
I think it's great that DCL limits kids in these areas and allows adults to have a great and probably much needed child free time.
If I was there without my child, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to someone elses child. DCL has to point out that these areas are restricted because sure enough there will be that one person who will want to bring their children in there.

I also want to throw this out. We also took our children to the Le Bistro on NCL. It is similar to Palos in that you pay $10 a person for a nice meal. We were all dressed up and loved eating in a nice restaraunt. My oldest son never eats off the kids menu and this was a great experience for him especially. We made sure our children were quiet and didn't bother any of the other guests. Guess that is not apporpiate either according to those here that believe children should be in the children's clubs during these type of activities at all times. Disney strictly prohibits this type of activity, so we must of been wrong and evil for doing it on NCL according to the Disney police.

I can just sense NCL's phone ringing right about now.:smooth:

It has nothing to do with NCL. Go look at all the other cruise line's policies and you will not see that they are not as strict on children as Disney is. It makes DCL unique and that is fine for those who appreciate being apart from their children. It doesn't appeal to us. That is all I am saying.

I think that DCL appeals to so many because of the ability to do some 'adult only' activities. Hubby and I did the brunch in April but chose not to do any Palo Dinners because we chose to spend all of our evening meals with our kiddos. I would not ask that DCL take away the opportunity for 'adult only' dining though, for those that choose to dine that way. My kiddos would have also loved to experience the atmosphere of Palo - wouldn't it be neat if DCL would have a few times each day (or even just a couple days) set asside for families who wish to experience the Palo experience as a family - just as there are opportunities thru-out the week to experience the nightclub areas as a 'family' if we choose to.

What a wonderful reply Jody! Yes, I agree that there should be an option for Palos and the nightclubs. Sounds like a great compromise. I wouldn't want to force any of the kid friendly policies I mention down anyone's throat who likes the way DCL is setup now.

It seems like some people get offended if you dare to say something negative about disney, everyone has had their own experience and their own opinion.I loved the cruise I kept my daughter with us the whole time, she did kareoke one night , that was fun,I think kids who go to the kids lab and have a sibling or friend there probably have fun,my daughter is shy and we just did things together, I had a bad experience with oceaners lab and would not do the signing herself out again,but that doesn't mean I think the whole program is bad.We had fun walking around and seeing the characters and the christmas decorations.I did the dis cruise in 1988 and it seemed a lot more structured they had a birhtday party for mickey one day a scavenger hunt one day , it seemed to me that you just dropped off your kid this time and they were being babysat, I went to bring her there and it seemed liked kids were sitting at the computer or video games , neither of which she is interested in, and I gave her the option of being there,she chose not to, the day we went to castaway cay , the were digging in the sand and just in this play area With not much to do,it was hot that day and we chose to go to the family beach so she could go in the water,maybe if she had a friend or sister or brother there she might have stayed , I don't know I think we had more fun in the water and parsailing....that is just my experience......maybe I expected more from the kids programming because it's disney , but I for one was dissapointed with it.

What's wrong with the formal evenings in the regular dining rooms for your kids? That's a special family evening. It sounds like you and your kids are joined at the hip. You never go out without the kids? I don't think DCL is obsessed about 'adult only' areas just because your child is not allowed in every single area of the ship. I don't think kids have a need to be everywhere on the ship. The areas that limit kids are very small compared to how large the ship is. I think if you want to have your kids in bars, adult shows, elegant restaurants, all the pools, and with you all the time then you definitely need to call another cruise line and stop bashing DCL. They are not broken.

leggs you need to stop critizing everyone else I think you just want to get rid of your kid and can't stand being around anyone elses, why do you feel so threatened by anyone who does't agree with you?

I also love the idea of Palo's having some "family" times. One thing I wanted to point out to Bushfan, however, is that although your kids would have appreciated the Palo experience there are lots of other kids who do not know how to behave in a fancy restaurant. If DCL were to open Palo up to everyone then there would, no doubt, be some children there who are not ready for such an experience but whose parents decided to do it anyway. You know, the kids who run around from table to table, are overly loud, etc. Unfortunately DCL cannot possibly pick and choose between kids so they don't allow any. I, for one, appreciate the fact that there is a place for my hubby and I to go to have a nice quiet meal.

Our kids would also love the experience at Palo, but I understand that the policy is in place for the benefit of everyone. It is only one restaurant on the ship. There are the regular dining rooms (with no repeat menus), Topsiders and fast food, in addition to eating in port when possible. I do not think limiting one restaurant to adults only is out of line.

Just my opinion.

Michele
Disney Magic - 3day - 2/12/99
Disney Wonder - 4day - 4/9/00
Disney Magic - 7day - 12/14/02

They can express their opinion why they think DCL is obsessed, broken, etc. and I can express my opinion why I think it's not and why I think they are in the minority. If they're not happy, sail another cruise line that would appeal to all their expectations.

Hubby and I do spend ample alone time together;) . But, we chose to have our 'family vacations' all about time together as a 'family'. Our kids are probably older than most (12 & 18). But, we have so many wonderful memories of our family vacations together over the years. That does not mean that I would 'bash' someone else for wanting their kiddos to spend time in the kids programming doing structured activites:rolleyes: Afterall, I chose to spend almost our entire vacation with our kids - but, I am still one of those firm believers that disney should be commended for offering Adult only areas for those that want some 'adult only' time. Please, feel free to state your opinions - but those that feel the need to 'bash' other posters for stating their opinions are acting inappropriately in my opinion.:mad: (particularly the joined at the hip post)

Originally posted by jojomg

It seems like some people get offended if you dare to say something negative about disney, everyone has had their own experience and their own opinion.

No, it's not so much the criticism of Disney... it seems that any topic that talks about children (and how their parents interact with them) takes on a life of its own. How else do you explain the "I do not mean to complain but...." thread lasting for 3 1/2 weeks or this thread lasting 5 weeks so far (with no hint of dying out anytime soon)?

leg22 - If wanting to be with your children in various public areas then ...yes, we are joined 'at the hip'. It does not offend me to say that in the least. DCL in its present configuration does not suit us and we are going on another line next month. It is not even NCL, who we have been happy with in the past. I didn't know this board was only for positive comments about DCL. I have posted negative comments about NCL on a NCL board before if that makes you feel any better. No line is perfect.

I would like to apologize for 'bashing' other posters.
:( Sorry. I got carried away.
Feel free to post your negative DCL opinions. And I will post my opinion if I do not agree/understand and post my positive experience with DCL. But, no more bashing from me.:)

Well, everyone else has tossed in their .02, so I figured I might as well, too. ;)

This will be our very first cruise ever, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have one son, who is almost 6. I have printed out the Navigators and we have read them together, and he is thrilled about all the stuff he gets to do. He talks about the Oceaneer Club all the time. Plus, there are several DIS-kids just his age who are sailing the same time as us, and he is looking forward to that, too.

As a single mom, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am at the prospect of grownup-only time. I don't think I even remember what that is. No, he will not be in the Club all day, every day, and yes, we are going to do lots of activities together. But I am so thankful that I have that choice! When it's "family time" we will do family stuff... And that when it is "grown-up time," I will be with grown-ups. What a novel concept. ;)

I'm ready to go NOW!! :)

-gina-

Hi Gina, I am also a single mom. Let me tell you, you will love the grown-up time you get on this cruise. And knowing your child is relatively close by in the club having a great time is a big plus. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter