Using 2018 points-need to wait till 6/10

HLShone

Earning My Ears
Just got off phone w/MS, update was all CM were emailed and told to tell people trying to use 2018 for res or reallocate, won't be done till next week and call on Weds 6/10
Can anyone else confirm this too?? Any differing reports out there appreciated!!
UGH!!! thinking I can kiss any availability goodbye😞

they keep telling me to call back that they arent available yet, and I am getting frustrated for sure. By the time they get those points set the rules will change I fear!

Thanks. It does explain why they haven’t put it in writing. We have seen different things this week.

So far, it’s better news than last week. But I agree, with no one yet being able to use the 2018 banked points yet, next week could be back to last weeks message.

CMs have been knows you be confused and since many are working from home, it could add to that.

Last edited:
Just got off phone w/MS, update was all CM were emailed and told to tell people trying to use 2018 for res or reallocate, won't be done till next week and call on Weds 6/10
Can anyone else confirm this too?? Any differing reports out there appreciated!!
When I called the 2019 points were there, but the 2018 had yet to be extended. This aligns with what you were told, although they didn’t give me a timeframe.

@HLShone If you cannot find availability using those extended 2018 banked points, I would be curious if you would be allowed to deposit them into RCI up until October 17th, (45 days before the extended points expire on November 30th)

Depositing into RCI is probably not your most attractive option, but it would be better than completely losing those points. If you call MS on June 10th, I would greatly appreciate you asking if those extended 2018 banked points can be deposited into RCI. (I do not want to call MS myself, since I have nothing that needs to be handled immediately and I do not want to further clutter the MS phone lines)

I have an Aug UY, and my deadline for depositing my 2018 banked points into RCI is June 17th. Those points appear to be eligible for the extension, but I will not be able to use the extended points until after July 31st for reservations between August 1st and November 31st. I would hate to have my points extended, find out I could not use them because there was no availability, and then told it was too late to deposit them into RCI.

Last edited:
@HLShone If you cannot find availability using those extended 2018 banked points, I would be curious if you would be allowed to deposit them into RCI up until October 17th, (45 days before the extended points expire on November 30th)

Depositing into RCI is probably not your most attractive option, but it would be better than completely losing those points. If you call MS on June 10th, I would greatly appreciate you asking if those extended 2018 banked points can be deposited into RCI. (I do not want to call MS myself, since I have nothing that needs to be handled immediately and I do not want to further clutter the MS phone lines)

I have an Aug UY, and my deadline for depositing my 2018 banked points into RCI is June 17th. Those points appear to be eligible for the extension, but I will not be able to use the extended points until after July 31st for reservations between August 1st and November 31st. I would hate to have my points extended, find out I could not use them because there was no availability, and then told it was too late to deposit them into RCI.

There are reports this week that they may allow them to go into previous reservations. Until it happens, though, we don’t know as last week it was only new.

If they can go into previous, then it will be interesting to see if it is home resort or only 7 month or less ones.

In terms of RCI, I am going to guess that is a no. They are extending use until November for all UY...which means It would effect that RCI deadline differently.

The good news is by next week, assuming these are there, you should have a confirmed answer to what they can be used for.

Hi I will ask about rci when I call next week and reply on this thread-its def time consuming waiting on hold!

now today I was told 6/10.. the date has changed many times so far. If we are actually able to reallocate them I will be shocked!

I feel bad for people dealing with the expiring 2018 points. And not being able to access them and possibly not use them to replace an existing reservation must be more than frustrating. I randomly looked at availability from July-Nov. While there are a few decent pockets of availability, depending on type of room and location, it seems like it is going to be very difficult for people to match up their own availability with DVC availability by the end of November. And once the June use year folks finally get a chance to rebook, I'm wondering how people with the next couple of use years can possibly use their 2018 points, assuming they will also not have access to rebook until after their current use year expires. Even if August use year people have access on August 1st, what availability can there possibly be for them?

I feel bad for people dealing with the expiring 2018 points. And not being able to access them and possibly not use them to replace an existing reservation must be more than frustrating. I randomly looked at availability from July-Nov. While there are a few decent pockets of availability, depending on type of room and location, it seems like it is going to be very difficult for people to match up their own availability with DVC availability by the end of November. And once the June use year folks finally get a chance to rebook, I'm wondering how people with the next couple of use years can possibly use their 2018 points, assuming they will also not have access to rebook until after their current use year expires. Even if August use year people have access on August 1st, what availability can there possibly be for them?

I agree because unless someone has regular points to use to secure something now in hopes that they can reallocate, they are stuck.

Someone would not want to borrow, because people have been told that they can reallocate 2019 UY points, but they will not get the send borrowed points back exception as well.

Granted, the system could be set up to do it automatically, and they could get lucky....but I certainly wouldn’t borrow in hopes it happens

So, you are right..Aug UY and beyond may have a tough time using.

Last edited:
Our current July reservation uses 2018 and 2019 points. When I looked about cancelling/rescheduling, there was not much of anything available after August through November.

I agree because unless someone has regular points to use to secure something now in hopes that they can reallocate, they are stuck.

Someone would not want to borrow, because people have been told that they can reallocate 2019 UY points, but they will not get the send borrowed points back exception as well.

Granted, the system could be set up to do it automatically, and they could get lucky....but I certainly wouldn’t borrow in hopes it happens

So, you are right..Aug UY and beyond may have a tough time using.
If DVC announced 2018 extended points can be reallocated to existing reservations that occur before Nov 30, 2020, then borrowing would not be that risky if you have, or plan to have, another reservation before the end of your 2020 UY.

For example if an Aug UY borrowed 2021 UY points to make a reservation prior to November 30, 2020, and also had, or planned to have, a reservation sometime in 2021 before July 31st, which used 2020 UY points, then they could replace those 2021 UY borrowed points with the extended 2018 points when the extended points become available. After that they could use the freed up 2021 borrowed points to replace the 2020 UY points in their prior to July 31st 2021 existing, or planned, reservation, and then bank the freed up 2020 UY points. The only downside is they would lose the ability to bank the 2021 UY points they borrowed into their 2022 UY.

The problem is that DVC has not announced whether extended 2018 banked points can be used for exiting reservations, and by the time they do availability prior to Nov 30, 2020 will probably be almost zero. Given that lack of announcement I agree with you when you said: "Someone would not want to borrow"

Last edited:
If DVC announced 2018 extended points can be reallocated to existing reservations that occur before Nov 30, 2020, then borrowing would not be that risky if you have, or plan to have, another reservation before the end of your 2020 UY.

For example if an Aug UY borrowed points to make a reservation prior to November 30, 2020, and also had, or planned to have, an existing reservation sometime in 2021 before July 31st, which used 2020 UY points, then they could replace those borrowed points with the extended 2018 points when the extended points become available. After that they could use the freed up borrowed points to replace the 2020 UY points in their prior to July 31st 2021 existing reservation, and then bank the freed up 2020 UY points. The only downside is you would lose the ability to bank the 2021 UY points you borrowed into your 2022 UY.

The problem is that DVC has not announced whether extended 2018 banked points can be used for exiting reservations, and by the time they do availability prior to Nov 30, 2020 will probably be almost zero. Given that lack of announcement I agree with you when you said: "Someone would not want to borrow"

Yes, that is what I was referring to. To book something now with borrowed points because you think they will put them back...you aren’t planning to use them. if you can use extended points is risky.

Sure, anyone who borrows and knows they will be doing it later anyway, no risk,

But, if someone is trying to get something now just so those points can be used, then one would only want to use regular points in their banking window.

Just to be clear, IMHO it is not whether DVC will "put them back" with regard to the borrowed points but whether DVC will allow the 2018 extended banked points to be reallocated to a pre Nov 30 2020 existing reservation even if that reservation was made with borrowed points.

If so those freed up borrowed points could be used to replace, or make, a later reservation that normally would have used current UY points, and then those current UY points could be banked.

As you said, if you are not planning on using the freed up borrowed points, but are hoping they will "put them back" that would be risky

Last edited:
My 2019 points have been put back and the 2018 points showed up yesterday.
Do you actually see the 2018 points in your account? I’m trying to keep my eyes open for signs they’ve been extended but it’s hard to know what to look for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter