Updated plans for Grand Floridian Expansion

Wow... I actually love the windows!

I also contacted my wedding planner, Michelle, about the path from the GF to the WP. There is a path to walk going from the Wedding Pavilion to the Grand. They are just moving it over. Iit is actually just about done, it has walls up to guide along the way. It goes closer towards the spa. The Coach will use the old route out on the main road. So Brides and grooms get a longer ride

Thank you for posting those! I was worried about the windows, but I think I like them a lot! It seems to enhance it in a way.
Though, I'll know for sure how I feel when I go again in two weeks.

The windows are gorgeous! I actually think I like them more. However, are those double doors, with the stained glass, the doors that you enter to go into the pavilion? So people will be able to see the bride's silhouette before she enters? (if that's the case, I like the old doors better).

The windows are gorgeous! I actually think I like them more. However, are those double doors, with the stained glass, the doors that you enter to go into the pavilion? So people will be able to see the bride's silhouette before she enters? (if that's the case, I like the old doors better).

I think I read that those are the ones that lead to outside where the arch is where a lot of photos are done...

I like the windows a lot better than I thought I would. I think they're very pretty. The caption under the doubles doors picture on D&V's facebook page says these are the doors leading out to Picture Point.

ok yes the windows are pretty but I still would have preferred the old ones.

Now for my aggrevation. I received the e-mail today and am a little upset it came AFTER they were already put in. Also, until I just read this thread... I had absolute 0 knowledge of the GF expansion. I'm so upset! I am doing the carriage and also was going to have my guest walk to the GF for the cocktail hour. Now I worry about both routes.

I also had picked the GFto be a hotel for my guest. Most of my guest will be traveling from out of state. The last thing I want is them to deal with construction when they'll be paying almost $400 a night.

Meri is my planner and hard to get a hold of.. i'm half tempted to just make a trip down there, take pictures, and then look in to what my groom wants to do. (he's in Afghanistan and wont be home until just before the wedding)

ok yes the windows are pretty but I still would have preferred the old ones.

Now for my aggrevation. I received the e-mail today and am a little upset it came AFTER they were already put in. Also, until I just read this thread... I had absolute 0 knowledge of the GF expansion. I'm so upset! I am doing the carriage and also was going to have my guest walk to the GF for the cocktail hour. Now I worry about both routes.

I also had picked the GFto be a hotel for my guest. Most of my guest will be traveling from out of state. The last thing I want is them to deal with construction when they'll be paying almost $400 a night.

Meri is my planner and hard to get a hold of.. i'm half tempted to just make a trip down there, take pictures, and then look in to what my groom wants to do. (he's in Afghanistan and wont be home until just before the wedding)

Supposedly they will still be having a path from the GF to the WP, it is just going to be pushed closer to the spa.

Nope, I really don't like them! Too much, in my opinion. I think it totally cheapens the beauty of the WP. Looks too gaudy to me. JMO though!

I'm trying really hard to be positive about this, but I wish those weren't going to be at my wedding. Cheap is exactly the word that comes to mind. I feel backed into a corner. It's way too close to my wedding to change venues and start over. But I really hate those windows.

The WP isn't my venue and TBH I wasn't a huge fan of it to begin with, but here is my 2 cents. I think the windows look okay, but it just makes the whole space seem even more enclosed. I just went back and looked at the pictures from my site visit, and at least the old windows brought a little bit of the outside in. Now there could be anything going on on the other side of them and you wouldn't know.

But, they are better than what they did to the Sleeping Beauty Pavillion in Disneyland during construction:
pavilion1.jpg

They just made them opaque.

I like the old windows and I like the new ones. I don't think they look "cheap" at all. They still allow light to fill the WP and I don't think they detract from the beauty of the place. They're definitely not anything like the gaudy things that I think most people associate stained glass windows to be.The WP is still gorgeous and the most important window, the one behind the altar that showcases Cinderella's castle, will remain untouched.

I'm not happy about the construction either. I have quite a few people coming to my wedding that have never been to Disney and so, of course, I only want their first experiences to be wonderful experiences while they're there; I don't want them to see cranes and dumpsters. But, this is Disney! They're known for the magic they create. I'm going to keep the faith that they'll engineer the additions and renovations to go as smoothly as possible. And, I believe they're trying to do this with as little inconvenience to us brides, as possible.

Chins up, we're getting married at Disney! no matter what, our day is going to be magical! :hug:

I like the old windows and I like the new ones. I don't think they look "cheap" at all. They still allow light to fill the WP and I don't think they detract from the beauty of the place. They're definitely not anything like the gaudy things that I think most people associate stained glass windows to be.The WP is still gorgeous and the most important window, the one behind the altar that showcases Cinderella's castle, will remain untouched.

I'm not happy about the construction either. I have quite a few people coming to my wedding that have never been to Disney and so, of course, I only want their first experiences to be wonderful experiences while they're there; I don't want them to see cranes and dumpsters. But, this is Disney! They're known for the magic they create. I'm going to keep the faith that they'll engineer the additions and renovations to go as smoothly as possible. And, I believe they're trying to do this with as little inconvenience to us brides, as possible.

Chins up, we're getting married at Disney! no matter what, our day is going to be magical! :hug:

Well said! Thank you! :goodvibes

So since I live in Orlando and have the day off I've decided to take a lil trip down there. I'll take pictures of the view of the WP from Franck's, pics of the construction, and anything else I can think of. Then I'll be sure to post a thread with the pictures when I get home. Since I live close to the parks I've decided I'm gonna try to go once a month and do pictures to help keep all us brides up to date on what the construction looks like.
Hope this eases some of our minds!

So since I live in Orlando and have the day off I've decided to take a lil trip down there. I'll take pictures of the view of the WP from Franck's, pics of the construction, and anything else I can think of. Then I'll be sure to post a thread with the pictures when I get home. Since I live close to the parks I've decided I'm gonna try to go once a month and do pictures to help keep all us brides up to date on what the construction looks like.
Hope this eases some of our minds!

Thank you so much! I know my wedding is a ways off, but I know there are other ladies (and gents) on the boards who are worried.

Its really all a matter of personal taste. I think they will serve the goal of blocking construction views very well and I appreciate that they are in more neutral tones. I did like it better the other way, but what can you do? I think the reason I don't like them is because it makes it seem more church-like, which probably appeals to a lot of people.

I think I read that those are the ones that lead to outside where the arch is where a lot of photos are done...

Correct they lead out to Picture Point.

Oh good! Whew! In that case, yeay Disney. I love the new windows!!! :cheer2:

Yes, The old WP white doors are still there.

I like the windows a lot better than I thought I would. I think they're very pretty. The caption under the doubles doors picture on D&V's facebook page says these are the doors leading out to Picture Point.

I was there on Wednesday for that wedding D and V posted and I was VERY impressed with the windows, I was very concerned it would take away the views and the natural lighting in the WP, but it is very very beautiful and I didn't even miss the views and the lighting seemed to be the same I saw no difference. That being said I think that many of you should go to the WP if you can before your wedding to set your mind at ease, they really aren't bad AT ALL they are soooo pretty!!

I was concerned but now I'm not anymore as they fit perfectly with everything and the are beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter