UPDATE My DD lives in Yucca Valley, CA and found this plant growing in her garage

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
She will ask her landscaper about it next month...does this seem like something to be worried about?

UPDATE: Got the rest of the story...neighbor has a huge tree that is much higher than my DD's fence and the droppings (?) come into their yard; 'its aggressive root system can cause damage to pavement, sewers and building foundations'. My DD already had to cut a root from under their concrete patio which caused a crack in the foundation. Hopefully spraying will kill everything before it takes root but the next step may be asking the neighbor if they can cut their hanging tree branches. (legally it is ok but you never know how people will take things today).

Attachments

• Plant in Garage.jpg
    Plant in Garage.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

I guess there is some fast-growing tree next door and they had to kill some roots that were growing under their patio as it cracked through the concrete.

She worries as it's their first home.

It could indicate a water leak under the house. I would probably call a plumber for peace of mind.

Where is it? We get random things growing between sidewalk panels, in the space where driveway meets the garage, in the rocks in the landscaping, etc all the time. Anyplace a little seed can blow into, a plant can grow. Not sure what’s to be concerned about. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Unlikely that it's sprouting up from a tree root. That most likely propogated by seed. I agree with others - pull it and be done with it. Round Up might work too, but for something like that usually pulling it would be enough. I reserve Round Up for stuff that's difficult or where I'm thinking the roots might break off.

Around here, the annoying thing is live oak, which spreads through acorns. I've seen saplings in oddball locations, and the only way they got there would be if an animal transported it., like in a planter. And when I pull out the little ones, I can typically see the remnants of the acorn.

It's a weed. Weed trees (fast growing trees) are FAR more hearty looking than that. She can sprinkle it with table salt and it will die and never grow back.

It looks like a vine, but not poison Ivy. I would just get rid of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter