Upcoming port/itinerary changes HERE

Just saw this

Tropical Weather Update
September 7, 2017 – 5:00 p.m.

Based on the projected path of Hurricane Irma, Disney Cruise Line is making the following adjustments to itineraries:

Disney Fantasy
The September 9 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is cancelled. Refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment used for the cruise booking. Guests are invited to book a future cruise at a 25 percent discount by calling us at 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

Disney Dream
The September 8 and September 11 sailings of the Disney Dream are cancelled. Refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment used for the cruise booking. Guests are invited to book a future cruise at a 25 percent discount by calling us at 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

Future Bahamian and Eastern Caribbean Sailings
At this time, there are no changes to other sailings on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. However, we continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma and assess its impact on the ports of call we visit in the Caribbean and Bahamas. Updates regarding any necessary itinerary changes will be posted beginning September 12.

While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor the weather and provide updates as necessary.

-https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/

Emphasis mine

Because so many of the islands in the Caribbean rely on tourism for income, I am sure they're going to try and get back up as quickly as they can. Matthew came right across Nassau last year and did cause quite a bit of distruction, but the cruise port was up in the next day.

The news is reporting it will take months for St.Thomas to recover from this hurricane. The only hospital on the island was taken out by the storm. :(

We are also sailing on the OP's cruise (Oct. 7 on the Fantasy). Thanks for starting this thread. I am really praying we sail somewhere and it doesn't get cancelled.

I'm concerned about the condition of Port Canaveral. Does anyone know if it has ever been hit so hard it had to close? We are on the Dream 4-day leaving on 9/25.

I'm concerned about the condition of Port Canaveral. Does anyone know if it has ever been hit so hard it had to close? We are on the Dream 4-day leaving on 9/25.

I think it was closed last year during Matthew... For 2 days I think? Anybody can confirm?

I think it was closed last year during Matthew... For 2 days I think? Anybody can confirm?

That sounds right. I think it was just 2 days - maybe 3; I believe it closed on a Wed. and was open either Fri. or Sat. PC didn't end up taking as big a hit as expected.

As someone said all the eastern itineraries can not simply shift to the west. The ports can not accommodate them all. As for Bermuda that port is coming to the end of their season. (Bermuda is east of North Carolina and not as 'tropical' in the winter as the Caribbean.) Also there is limited dockage in Bermuda. Max of 2 ships usually 2-3 days for each. Also cruise lines have to have port call arrangements with the local port. When we were on the Magic for a western in 2004 we were shifted to an 'eastern' due to one of the 5 hurricanes that hit Florida that year. We were told at boarding that we would be stopping at San Juan, PR and St. Thomas, VI. When we reboarded in San Juan we were again rerouted due to another storm and ended up in Nassau. DCL had port call agreements with these ports so they were able to transfer our port call.There will be lots of cruise lines working overtime to rearrange itineraries over the next months.

As I said Cozumel is definitely fine. Sitting across from a TV showing CNN Tortola is heartbreaking

We aren't discussing Cozumel because it is not an eastern port, which are the ones affected. We know it is fine.

Bahamian ports may be affected but we won't know the extent for another couple days.

Will they change the Eastern itinerary to a southern?

A lot of the southern ports were in the path, I believe. I recognized the names as such.

That sounds right. I think it was just 2 days - maybe 3; I believe it closed on a Wed. and was open either Fri. or Sat. PC didn't end up taking as big a hit as expected.

I could be wrong but I think it was re-opened the day before our cruise which was departing on sunday. Oct. 9, 2016.

Last edited:
The path this morning looks like CC will be out of the brunt of the storm, if it is where I think it is.

Yes, looks like CC may just get some lower speed winds and that is it if Irma remains on her current path. Nassau on the other hand will have a little bit more to deal with.

I saw NCL has posted that their eastern s are now westerns thru November. The other cruise lines haven't posted any long term changes, just thru this week.

Disney says on their website they will announce any changes beginning 9/12.

Im following too. We are booked for the 11/3 eastern on the Fantasy. I feel terrible for the residents of these islands. They so heavily rely on tourism and the photos from the British BVI are heartbreaking. We were scheduled to visit Antigua for our honeymoon in December 20 some years ago and the island took a hit a few months before. Even though we were two months out, we got re-routed to St. Lucia.

I saw NCL has posted that their eastern s are now westerns thru November. The other cruise lines haven't posted any long term changes, just thru this week.
I would love the western. Haven't gone to either so that would be fine. Once they let us know the itinerary change I'm guessing we can book port adventures right away?

I would love the western. Haven't gone to either so that would be fine. Once they let us know the itinerary change I'm guessing we can book port adventures right away?

Once they know which ones they can offer. Keep in mind that there were likely ships already booked in and there may be additional ships booking in so the slots DCL automatically has on the already scheduled Western stops won't necessarily be available.

Like many others on this thread, we are on the 9/23 Eastern also. I'm up for just about anything but would love a 1 week sea sea cruise with a stop at CC. I love the Disney ships!

I am hoping to not do a western. We did that our last 2 cruises. We spend a lot to cruise with a family of 6, so it will be quite a let down if we just spent another $10k for a third trip to the same ports. Obviously the people on the islands have it worse than me just worrying about a vacation, but we wouldn't have chosen to book a western again so that would be very disappointing. Doubt they'd let us cancel, but if they did I think we'd opt to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter