• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unusual catch phrases and sayings

"face like a skelped backside" :lmao:

"risk it, for a biscuit"

"face like a bulldog chewing a wasp"

When someone complained "Mine too, must be the salt water", and when there was nothing left to say, "Shoot (or the other sh* word, depending on who was present) George, I can't dance."

I miss her wry sense of humor.

I always enjoyed, friends help you move, real friends help you move....bodies
:rotfl: I love this one, mostly because of the truth in it. By the way, I consider you a real friend, just in case.

Awesome, Kathy! That is why I love these boards. You learn new things every day - this has been a mystery to me ever since I was a little kid. Mystery Solved!

When I was little, if I said something about what are we doing or where are we going, my Grandpa would say, "We who? You got a mouse in your pocket?" I promise it sounds funnier when he would say it.
My husband started this one in our house -- usually it is used when he is talking about something "we" are going to do that I haven't agreed to do (i.e.: watch a football game, wash the car) so I'll ask him, "Who's going to do that? You and the mouse in your pocket?" Sounds like the same concept...

My husband started this one in our house -- usually it is used when he is talking about something "we" are going to do that I haven't agreed to do (i.e.: watch a football game, wash the car) so I'll ask him, "Who's going to do that? You and the mouse in your pocket?" Sounds like the same concept...
That is exactly how my Grandpa meant it.

When I was a teenager and be a pain to my dad he would say "I'm gonna turn you in for a new model!"

Another that makes me laugh is "Did your momma drop you on your head?"

My Dad used to say ---Never let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird a**
He also used to say-- Don't let your mouth write a check that your butt can't cash.
(The old man was blunt)

How about, You'll draw back a bloody stub
or Mess with the bull, get the horns

From FIL it drove me mad!!!....Do As I Say Not As I Do.

From mom: The grass isnt always greener .......
You have champagne taste on a penny pocketbook... go figure!

From Dad: Were you born in a barn? (hmmm I dont know you were there)

From my yaya: I am older and wiser

Oh forgot my favorite: You were the best mistake we ever made.

(Mom had her tubes tied and they came undone. She had me 1 month after finding out she was pregnant at the age of 40)

These are great and when I start thinking about it I'm amazed at how many I have coming out of my mouth on a regular basis!

When I'm asked what I'm doing and it's obvious : "I'm baking a cake!"

My parents come shooting out of my mouth everytime I tell my kids "Look it up!"

And the Dis has been a bad influence on me because it's amazing how many sayings I've picked up from the podcast and from trip reports! My apologies; some I've forgotten just who I stole them from!

"Embarassing my children:just another service I provide" (this one I'm using for my next trip report :) )

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit"

And of course I can't forget Bob's "They can't hit ya..."

I know there's more.....:laughing:

Thought I would share one I just read on fellow DIS member MHTeacher's post:

"As my daddy would say...."he can get glad in the same pants he got mad in!"[/ :laughing:

Oh forgot my favorite: You were the best mistake we ever made.

(Mom had her tubes tied and they came undone. She had me 1 month after finding out she was pregnant at the age of 40)

Aww, I'm glad your parents made that mistake!

From my dad (I'll try to make them as family friendly as possible):

When I'd talk too much - Your mouth is running like a duck's "tushy".
Or my mom would say - You have diarhea of the mouth.

If it was icy outside, my dad would say "Be careful, it's slicker that owl doo doo out there". Not sure why it was always owls...

He also said, "She was rode hard and put away wet" (like a horse), in reference to a very old looking (but not old) woman.

I'm glad this thread is here. My dd is studying figurative language right now in school and they are looking at figures of speech like these. I think I can show her "some" of these!;)

My DH is fond of telling my DD "I want never gets". He also tells her a lot "The best prize is a sur-prize".

I'm sure I have a few that I say, but I'm not owning up to them :rolleyes1

My dear old grannie if someone did something silly.

"Bum sticking out the window, flinging stones at it" :lmao:

and when grandad passed wind :rolleyes1

"it is an unhappy bum that does not rejoice"

I work in a psychiatric hospital and from time to time, we get an entire family that arrives and they all try to tell us what is going on at the same time. When they will not settle down and speak one at a time (despite multiple attempts to redirect the mayhem), the staff likes to call the scene "a goat rodeo". When the goat rodeo gets really out of control we say that it is "like trying to herd cats".

In honor of Bawb: "....they can't hitcha (hit you :).

I've started listening to old podcast from '06-'07 and Bawb used to always say that when someone wanted to try something.

"Ask them to _____, they can't hitcha"

My favourite quote is by golfer Lucas Glover. When asked what is was like being in contention for the British Open, he said "This is the icing on the gravy".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter