Unusual catch phrases and sayings

pklein09

Winner DVC Trivia Contest April 2006
I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I heard Kevin say "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes." It came out so naturally and without any hesitation that it made me think that this was something he must have had stored in the back of his brain ready for just such an opportunity.

It got me thinking. There must be dozens of unusual catch phrases and sayings we've heard over the years. I've seen threads of the phrases that the podcast team frequently use that we all love. I was wondering what sayings you all grew up with.

I also thought it would be fun if the crew would pick some and use them in a show when a situation calls for it. Or it could be like a challenge! You know, like "try to use THIS in conversation..."

If anyone's interested, here are a couple to get started. They're actual sayings from my family and friends.

"You should grow like an onion, with your head in the ground and your feet in the air."

"It's like shooting Lincoln and hanging his picture on the wall."

Don't ask me what they mean. We were all supposed to know, I guess! I hope this isn't too off the wall for this discussion board!!

A great friend of mine always used to say, "That's no cracker off my back."

This one never made sense to me but my DH's family used to say it:

"George Washington didn't eat pie for breakfast."

Not sure why it mattered what George ate for breakfast, but it was a standard answer when someone wanted something they couldn't have.:confused3

"Uglier than a page wire fence"

"Like a hard candy Christmas"

"He / she could eat an apple through a chain link fence"

Not sure why the abundance of fence references

These are some my grandad used

There’s naething sae queer as folk = There is nothing as strange as people

Jist haud yer wisht! = Just hold on! or wait a minute! - I still use this

I would love to hear you all say those out loud ;)

These are some my grandad used

There’s naething sae queer as folk = There is nothing as strange as people

Jist haud yer wisht! = Just hold on! or wait a minute! - I still use this

I would love to hear you all say those out loud ;)
I'm saying these phrases out loud as I'm reading them...it makes me feel like I'm reading "All Creatures Great and Small" again!

I'm saying these phrases out loud as I'm reading them...it makes me feel like I'm reading "All Creatures Great and Small" again!

Think more Scottish than English ;) I would love to hear your rendition :hug:

:lmao: ;)

Most of my fathers are not repeatable on a family friendly board :rolleyes1

It took me a while to think of one that could be repeated - wasn't till I tried to translate that I really thought about their meaning :lmao: My grandad never minced his words!!

:rotfl: trying to think of family friendly quotes:rotfl:

"so ugly she could stop an eight day clock"

"you can whine till the cows come home"

"slower than molasses in winter"

dumber than a box of hair (a not smart person)

sharp as a bag of wet mice (a not smart person)

get a grip (someone on the verge of, or starting to have a Brittany moment)

fruity like a bag a skittles (self explanatory)

did your mamma give you lead paint chips for breakfast (a not smart person)

your stupidity, much like asbestos, is not easily contained. (self explanatory)

and my favorite... so how do we get the dwarfs to shave their legs? (a stupid person in the act of doing something stupid)

Dunno why this one always makes me snort....

"Did it come off??"

"Off like a prom dress!"

"Are your ears painted on." I use this when DD chooses not to listen to me!:thumbsup2

'mad as a box of frogs' - someone acting crazy

'so cunning you could clean your teeth with it' -(blackadder reference, when you think of a good plan)

I have loads of quotes from blackadder i use in everyday life, on of them is the rhyming one, but im not sure if i can post it, being a family friendly board. Just to say 2 words rhyme with two other words to make a swear word.

LOL. Some of these are terrific. I'm going to need to remember them!

Another thing my father used to say to us (especially during our teenage years) was "This is not a democracy. At best, it's a benevolent dictatorship."

I don't think it's original, but we heard it often enough that I'm starting to say it to my kids!

"if he had half a brain, he'd be dangerous!"

My mother always says this one. I've always thought--wouldn't anyone with just half a brain be dangerous?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter