• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unusual catch phrases and sayings

A few of my favorites.
My Granny used to say "By-Cracky' as an exclamation point. "Why it's snowing outside, by cracky". Never heard anyone else say it.
My mom's favorites
"Beauty is as Beauty does" (when I would whine about not being pretty)
You have more complaints that Carter has little liver pills.
"You and yours ain't dead yet", said whenever I would "gossip" or make disparging remarks about someone doing something I thought was wrong. or when I would say I would never do such and such.
My ex-boss would say when a lot was going on
I am up to my waist in alligators right now.

Penny:hippie:

Don't know if this has come up yet, but my Dad has been known to say, "He (or she) could screw up a two car funeral.":laughing:

I see said the blind man....as he picked up his hammer and saw.

I have a different ending to that one...

"I see said the blind man as he peed into the wind and it all came back to him"

My dad used to say "'I see,' said the blind man to his deaf dog."

When I was a teenager and be a pain to my dad he would say "I'm gonna turn you in for a new model!"
"

My dad has said that once or twice, too.

My mom has some fun ones too:
"I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators here." (things are hectic/crazy)
"Like water off a ducks back" (don't let it bother you)
"You're slower than molasses in January." (you're really slow)

Well, being from Texas we have a lot of strange sayings. My mom has a million.

She calls movies "picture shows"
And Gas Stations "ice houses"

Some more of her frequent sayings:
"Look in my eye and see if you see anyone who gives a damn"
"Wish in one hand and and sh** in the other and tell me which one fills up faster"
"Colder than a witch's t*t"
"He's got him by the short hairs" (think lower extremities)
"I'll be there directly"
"Fit to be tied"
"If it was a snake it woulda bit you"
"You look like you've been rode hard and put up wet"

I'll have to think of some more-like I said she has tons.

another one from my mom when someone complains someone passed gas:

"A fox smells his own hole first"

My gram used to say "oh yeah?... and my sisters cats ***" I still laugh when i think about it. It means to not only be full of bull dodo , but bragging while doing so. For example "Oh sorry I'm late, its because my maid always forgets to clean under the sofa and I just have to follow her around and make sure she does her job, finding good help is so hard..." To this you would reply "oh yeah? and my sisters cats ***" lol

ALso,
You are the Cat's Meow (you look good)
You are the Bees Knees (you look good) How that came around I have no idea????:confused3
Sitting in the cat bird seat. My BFF says this and doesn't know where it comes from. We did a search about 10 years ago and came up with nothing except a lot of information about the cat bird. But, I did a search today and found this.
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question73217.html
I love the internet. I have a friend who use to talk about
The Miracle of Electronics
& I still use that today. When I was born the thought of talking to people through cyber space was a science fiction story, and now here I sit. Years ago, if I wanted to know something I looked it up in my big, big dictionary or I called the library. Now I google it. We have come a long way Baby:dance3::dance3::dance3::cheer2:
And here is some trivia about it and another saying.
Catbird seat (as it is usually written) usually appears in the fuller form in the catbird seat, meaning to be in an advantageous or prominent position, one of ease and favour. Its first appearance in print was in a famous short story of that title by James Thurber, published in the New Yorker on 14 November 1942:
"In the halls, in the elevator, even in his own office, into which she romped now and then like a circus horse, she was constantly shouting these silly questions at him. “Are you lifting the oxcart out of the ditch? Are you tearing up the pea patch? Are you hollering down the rain barrel? Are you scraping around the bottom of the pickle barrel? Are you sitting in the catbird seat?” It was Joey Hart, one of Mr. Martin’s two assistants, who had explained what the gibberish meant. “She must be a Dodger fan,” he had said. “Red Barber announces the Dodger games over the radio and he uses those expressions — picked ’em up down South.” Joey had gone on to explain one or two. “Tearing up the pea patch” meant going on a rampage; “sitting in the catbird seat” means sitting pretty, like a batter with three balls and no strikes on him. "

Penny:hippie:

My mom also says "Nobody here but us chickens." She uses it like, "There was a larger group, but now we're the only ones left," but I have no idea what the origin of the phrase is.

I've loved reading these. I grew up with most of these sayings and they bring back fond memories.

Holy Smoke!
Holy Cow!
Not the sharpest tool in the box. (not a very smart person)
You'd better double time it. (when my father really meant...GET MOVING)

There are many more, but I'll have to visit with my sis to unlock my memory.:goodvibes

At my office there has been a stomach bug going around and one of my co-workers remarked that it "went through here like Sherman went through Atlanta!" :lmao:

This is from my British cousins and it's probably popular over there...

"Bob's your uncle!"

Example: while making a cake, you get the mix, put in water/oil/whatever and an egg, throw it in the oven and, "Bob's your uncle!" I guess it equates to "and there it is!" But it's more fun to say :)

P.S. I have no idea how to make a cake - bad example.

This is from my British cousins and it's probably popular over there...

"Bob's your uncle!"

Example: while making a cake, you get the mix, put in water/oil/whatever and an egg, throw it in the oven and, "Bob's your uncle!" I guess it equates to "and there it is!" But it's more fun to say :)

P.S. I have no idea how to make a cake - bad example.

American's don't use 'Bob's your uncle'?!?

We obviously didn't teach you English properly! :sad2: :laughing:

American's don't use 'Bob's your uncle'?!?

We obviously didn't teach you English properly! :sad2: :laughing:

I've heard it before, but not very often.

It always makes me think of that awful infomercial for the Magic Bullet- the Aussie host says "Bob's your uncle!" after he demonstrates how AMAZINGLY FAST AND SIMPLE!! it is to make salsa...

"You just pop in a to-maah-to, some onion, a jalepeno, and some cilantro, put the container on the base- 1,2,3, and Bob's your uncle! You have fresh homemade salsa!" :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter