*Un*Official Dis Family Reunion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's my idea for y'all to comment and improve upon:
- Meet at Sunset Point (the big hill) at the Poly and stroll over to the Contemporary in time for one of the events. Likewise, we could depart from one of the events at the Contemporary and stroll over to Sunset Point for outdoor chatter. This is assuming we can get through the MK area without a park ticket.
- It could be a "Sassy Stroll" i.e.; wear your cutest outfit to celebrate our DIS reunion. Parasol? Spats? Sequins and Boas? Sure, Sashay & Parler, mes amis! (Or just wear a T-shirt) (and shorts/bottoms... not just a T-Shirt... ;D )
- It needs to be promoted as a mask-on event, unless transmission rates have significantly shifted*. I know some people say, I'm outdoors the risk is less, but the reunion is indoors two-days over several hours each day. Plus many of us will be in park, possibly with screaming people on the rides, or eating while indoors. If folks want to create an event that is mask-optional, or if people will be eating/drinking as part of an event, please clearly state that, so we can make a risk-assessment choice.
------So what do y'all think?
Love the idea. But there is no walking path between the Poly and Contemporary

Love the idea. But there is no walking path between the Poly and Contemporary
Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I was thinking walking from Poly to GF and taking the new GF walkway through the front of the MK area over to the Contemporary. Or reverse that if meeting after one of the events at the Contemporary.

Is it possible to walk from Contemporary to GF using the new bridge without an MK ticket?

Should be, since they only check tickets when entering the park itself. Everyone would have to clear security and temperature checks, though.
Thanks! It's good to know it's doable, but might be a logistic hassle to go through the checkpoint. As far as I know the pathway and new bridge are ECV/accessible friendly, but it also might be a bit crowded as folks pass by. Thanks again!

I'm thinking of moving to OKW for Mar 26-29. Anyone else heading over there, and want to go for a walk?

I'm trying to reduce my "exposure hit points" to put it in game theory parlance. I think OKW with its open air doors and space will be better than the compact SSR, even though they have open air doors.

So far I'm budgeting "exposure hit points" for air transport, BLT Mar 24-26 (hallways, elevators and indoor take-away, oh my!), riding RotR as often as practical, and any DIS reunion music-based panel. I don't even think I'm going into the parks other than the party. I'm on the bottom tier of the vaccine rollout, right before the kids get it.

I miss y'all. *dabs tear with my HDDR lime green hankie*

We bought tickets. I won't be the least bit surprised (or upset) if the event gets cancelled. Numerous 2021 events have already been cancelled or postponed including a fan event in Florida in October so I really don't see how holding this event in March will be feasible but we shall see.

If they do hold it, we may or may not attend. I'd hate to lose the money, but not as much as I'd hate for one of us to get sick.
A month later and I'm not any more confident of this event happening. Disney has already cancelled the RunDisney events for April 2021 (which I realize draw a lot more people than this event would).

Personally, I'll probably get my COVID vaccine within the next 2-3 weeks but most of the general public likely won't have it by March.

We still haven't booked a place to stay. I guess I should at least do that in case we do end up going. I'll just make 100% sure that I can get a full refund right up until the end.

Has anyone noticed that airlines are going back to just cutting whole days of flights (not just reduced number per day, but the entire day)? I'm concerned about making lodging reservations and then having the flight suddenly disappear. Have any othe airlines seemed resilient to keep at least one flight a day?

Has anyone noticed that airlines are going back to just cutting whole days of flights (not just reduced number per day, but the entire day)? I'm concerned about making lodging reservations and then having the flight suddenly disappear. Have any othe airlines seemed resilient to keep at least one flight a day?
I don't pay attention so I haven't noticed.

Just last night, though, I did do a quick search for flights because friends said they booked on Southwest and got a great rate. They're coming from a different city but when I looked, the prices were insane, over $1,000 round trip. Of course, on Spirit it was "only" $314 which is much better but still very high for Spirit. Pre-COVID we could fly to Florida for under $100 each way, sometimes a lot under $100.

What route are you looking at?

Unfortunately most airlines are making people fly through a hub to get to their destination if the route is beyond a certain length.

What route are you looking at?
Mostly BOS-MSY and BOS-MCO. My mom is having some severe health difficulties that could require a sudden flight down, and of course the DIS reunion event has been on my mind. I just don't feel certain the event is going to happen late March, so I've been reluctant to purchase flights or any travel related cost with a hassle to rebook/refund.

Mostly BOS-MSY and BOS-MCO. My mom is having some severe health difficulties that could require a sudden flight down, and of course the DIS reunion event has been on my mind. I just don't feel certain the event is going to happen late March, so I've been reluctant to purchase flights or any travel related cost with a hassle to rebook/refund.
Southwest always has had a good policy about rebooking with no change fees. I also favor Delta who has also added this into their rules. Many airlines have given covid so you should have some flexibility when booking. I hope it all works out.

Interesting about not finding BOS to MSY or MCO flights. When I used to live in MA, there was never a problem finding BOS/MCO non-stop flights. They were multiple times a day on Delta. OTOH, BOS/MSY had no non-stop flights, always requiring a stop at a hub.

Not related to the meet, but I was looking at SW flights last night, thinking of planning something for May in hopes of a vaccine by then and to have something to look forward to. I was looking at several possible destinations.

Anyways, I noticed a lot of weird things, some flights as cheap as I have ever seen like crazy cheap, some very pricey, some days missing, lots of non-stops missing, some routes temporarily missing. Things are definitely in flux right now.

Sending healing light to your Mom @Tiggerette !!

Interesting about not finding BOS to MSY or MCO flights. When I used to live in MA, there was never a problem finding BOS/MCO non-stop flights. They were multiple times a day on Delta. OTOH, BOS/MSY had no non-stop flights, always requiring a stop at a hub.
Thanks to COVID, the whole airline industry has been a mess. Tens of thousands of flights cancelled, sometimes on very short notice. Many routes eliminated entirely. A coworker was trying to book a flight over Christmas for her son to go out to his dad's (Philadelphia to Chicago, normally a very busy route) and she had a tough time finding a flight for him. She finally got one and has been holding her breath hoping it doesn't get cancelled.

Hopefully things will improve by March, but right now, that's not looking too promising.

Not related to the meet, but I was looking at SW flights last night, thinking of planning something for May in hopes of a vaccine by then and to have something to look forward to. I was looking at several possible destinations.

Anyways, I noticed a lot of weird things, some flights as cheap as I have ever seen like crazy cheap, some very pricey, some days missing, lots of non-stops missing, some routes temporarily missing. Things are definitely in flux right now.

I agree. Out of Pittsburgh we are seeing the same thing. We always had a wonderful NS flight to Orlando very very early in the morning (ideal in my mind). We also had quite a few options on the return trip. Now, it seems, there are only a few and they are wildly priced to the point that it would cost me the same to fly Delta (which is unheard of).
hanks to COVID, the whole airline industry has been a mess. Tens of thousands of flights cancelled, sometimes on very short notice. Many routes eliminated entirely. A coworker was trying to book a flight over Christmas for her son to go out to his dad's (Philadelphia to Chicago, normally a very busy route) and she had a tough time finding a flight for him. She finally got one and has been holding her breath hoping it doesn't get cancelled.

Hopefully things will improve by March, but right now, that's not looking too promising.

I almost feel like if I plan to travel in the spring to early summer I better book now before they run out of seats. I don't see them increasing capacities quickly unless this relief bill requires them to bring back a lot of staff and thus offer more flights just because they have to.

I almost feel like if I plan to travel in the spring to early summer I better book now before they run out of seats.
The challenge is you could book a seat and the flight could get cancelled. Or you could book a seat and the event could get cancelled.

The pandemic isn't likely to be dramatically better by March at the rate we're going. And I'm sure the organizers need to make the final decision well before then in order to secure the venues, contract with the talent, make all of the travel arrangements, not hugely inconvenience all of the attendees, etc. Their decision deadline is probably just weeks away. If it is to be cancelled, I imagine we'll hear about that by the end of January.

Thanks to COVID, the whole airline industry has been a mess. Tens of thousands of flights cancelled, sometimes on very short notice. Many routes eliminated entirely. A coworker was trying to book a flight over Christmas for her son to go out to his dad's (Philadelphia to Chicago, normally a very busy route) and she had a tough time finding a flight for him. She finally got one and has been holding her breath hoping it doesn't get cancelled.

I agree, the airlines are a mess. My dh and I decided to drive for this reason (we're about 12 hours north). I feel for those of you who don't have that as a legitimate alternative. We'll see what happens as far as the party goes, but I am hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter