*Un*Official Dis Family Reunion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. It's not the private party in the park that would be the issue. It would be the rest of the event. They haven't really announced what's happening yet, but if they're bringing in some of the typical speakers and Disney Legends, will those folks be willing to put themselves in harm's way? And they likely won't be able to do any type of meet and greets with speakers or anything where people are mingling.
I think you bring up a valid concern. We're still going as a family ahead of time, unless things close up, and I'm planning on going to St. Augustine with a coworker friend after the event, so I'm paying attention since that would put a kink in my plans.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this, I decided to get arthroscopic surgery on my right knee sooner rather than later and had it done 3 weeks ago. I'll update where everyone is staying tonight.
Hope you're doing okay.

Hi everyone - where is the thread for the official info for this party? I haven't bought tickets yet and I'm trying to debate if I'm going to do so. With Covid getting worse.... If I do go, I definitely want to do some unofficial meet-ups and you'll see me come back to this thread. I've been so busy at work I haven't been following the boards much lately.

Thanks, Pam

Hi everyone - where is the thread for the official info for this party? I haven't bought tickets yet and I'm trying to debate if I'm going to do so. With Covid getting worse.... If I do go, I definitely want to do some unofficial meet-ups and you'll see me come back to this thread. I've been so busy at work I haven't been following the boards much lately.

Thanks, Pam

There isn't really an "official" thread (at least not yet) here on the Disboards. This is actually an event run by GKTW and in the first post of this thread there is the link to their webpage for the event - that is the only thing "official" we really have so far

With were things are with Covid we are definitely hesitant to buy the tickets to the actual event, for fear of not feeling comfortable going and then losing the $. Everything we have booked so far is fully refundable and if int he end we miss out on tickets to the event, we will deal with just "unofficial" things (and just being in warmer weather)

There isn't really an "official" thread (at least not yet) here on the Disboards. This is actually an event run by GKTW and in the first post of this thread there is the link to their webpage for the event - that is the only thing "official" we really have so far

With were things are with Covid we are definitely hesitant to buy the tickets to the actual event, for fear of not feeling comfortable going and then losing the $. Everything we have booked so far is fully refundable and if int he end we miss out on tickets to the event, we will deal with just "unofficial" things (and just being in warmer weather)
We bought tickets. I won't be the least bit surprised (or upset) if the event gets cancelled. Numerous 2021 events have already been cancelled or postponed including a fan event in Florida in October so I really don't see how holding this event in March will be feasible but we shall see.

If they do hold it, we may or may not attend. I'd hate to lose the money, but not as much as I'd hate for one of us to get sick.

Thanks, Pam
If you are going to get tickets I would recommend doing so now. I believe John said on the show this week that there are less than 100 left.

Thanks everyone. I'm a bit hesitant to buy the tickets with the current uptick, to put it lightly, in COVID cases. I don't want to buy them and the event be cancelled. I'll just keep checking in on the status and praying the vaccine comes soon and our country can finally breathe at least some sigh of relief. I really would love to go to this event. I may go ahead and book a stay during that time just in case.

Thanks everyone. I'm a bit hesitant to buy the tickets with the current uptick, to put it lightly, in COVID cases. I don't want to buy them and the event be cancelled. I'll just keep checking in on the status and praying the vaccine comes soon and our country can finally breathe at least some sigh of relief. I really would love to go to this event. I may go ahead and book a stay during that time just in case.

I do believe that if the event if officialyl cancelled you woudl get a refund - but if you personally decide it not safe or if there are travel restrictions from where you are coming or anything else personal, but the event goes on, then you cannot get a refund

I‘m feeling the same way on this. I could really use a getaway -even if I drive down from the northeast. I’m trying to reason with the fact that even if I lose the ticket price for whatever reason, it’s still a donation. As far as the rest of the trip goes ...a week hanging by a pool doesn’t sound half bad at this point. With a few group meetups mixed in of course 😉

Last edited:
so what's the name of the event officially ? I'm sure we have to mention it if we call in to get the special rate. I remember doing that for the one in August.

so what's the name of the event officially ? I'm sure we have to mention it if we call in to get the special rate. I remember doing that for the one in August.
It’s the GKTW DIS Family Reunion. There’s a group number on the website that you have to mention. The website is gktw.org/disfam

I‘m feeling the same way on this. I could really use a getaway -even if I drive down from the northeast. I’m trying to reason with the fact that even if I lose the ticket price for whatever reason, it’s still a donation. As far as the rest of the trip goes ...a week hanging by a pool doesn’t sound half bad at this point. With a few group meetups mixed in of course 😉

That is our thinking too. We have a place booked off property for 13 nights with a private pool. If the only thing we get to do is escape the North East weather for a few weeks and lounge by the pool, then that isn't so bad. Obviously would be great if everything works out and we are able to do the event and unofficial meets, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this, I decided to get arthroscopic surgery on my right knee sooner rather than later and had it done 3 weeks ago. I'll update where everyone is staying tonight. Also someone asked where the "official" list posted. It's on the Give Kids The World website.

Also, did anyone else notice the spring discounts are lower than the event discounted rooms???

Hope you and your knee are doing okay.

I still haven’t booked yet as I’m waiting to see what the situation is, as it mad both sides of the pond. Hence currently at home sitting in lockdown 2 (the revenge of Covid)z

although considering my budget and looking at trips I will most likely be staying in Pop Century from the 03/21 - 03/28 - will be getting a night flight back so still should be able to make the show on the Sunday

i still can't decide if I'm going to go... or take the chance I mean on buying the tickets. Do we really feel that if the event is cancelled we'll get a refund? $400 is a bit much for me to gamble. If it were $100-ish okay.... but I just can't do that and feel good about it.

Okay, I've been giving our unofficial meet ups some thought. I think a masked stroll is going to be one that I would feel comfortable doing.

So here's my idea for y'all to comment and improve upon:
- Meet at Sunset Point (the big hill) at the Poly and stroll over to the Contemporary in time for one of the events. Likewise, we could depart from one of the events at the Contemporary and stroll over to Sunset Point for outdoor chatter. This is assuming we can get through the MK area without a park ticket.
- It could be a "Sassy Stroll" i.e.; wear your cutest outfit to celebrate our DIS reunion. Parasol? Spats? Sequins and Boas? Sure, Sashay & Parler, mes amis! (Or just wear a T-shirt) (and shorts/bottoms... not just a T-Shirt... ;D )
- It needs to be promoted as a mask-on event, unless transmission rates have significantly shifted*. I know some people say, I'm outdoors the risk is less, but the reunion is indoors two-days over several hours each day. Plus many of us will be in park, possibly with screaming people on the rides, or eating while indoors. If folks want to create an event that is mask-optional, or if people will be eating/drinking as part of an event, please clearly state that, so we can make a risk-assessment choice.
------So what do y'all think?

Last event I hosted a crafting meet: in the theme of crafting, we could decorate face shields.... to make them Star Wars-esque visors. (Do we need a Mandolorian range finder on there? Maybe we do!) I think I'd need to think critically on how that would work since we wouldn't share supplies. At least crafting is something else we can do with masks on outside.

*Yes, I'm highly doubtful that transmission rates will have significantly shifted by then, but.... magic happens! I don't want to be a "doom & gloom" agent, but considering Christmas and New Years will continue our tramisssion curve well into late January/mid-February.... I'll plan for practical realities, and hope for the best possible outcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter