TSA Combined Thread (braces, ports, guests with disabilities and airport screening)

Thanks for the links Sue.

I think it's smart on their part to be involved with these groups BUT it's really just impossible to consult someone involved with every disease, disability, handicap, and medical device and then go on to train every employee in how to deal with them. That being said, some of the stuff that's been happening should have been covered in a sensitivity type class that ANYONE working with that much of the public should have to take.

An RN would not be able to see anything, would legally have to document it (as a medical exam - it's the law), and it would take FOREVER.

Trust me, I have found ONE nurse in the last 5 years who knew what my condition was.

I thought per the ACAA and ADA we did not have to have proof, just a competent verbal assurance.

I would NEVER submit to a strip search by TSA due to a medical condition. They are NOT law enforcement personnel and they are NOT a doctor.
I agree that an RN would not be very useful for doing airport screening patdowns. An RN would be able to do a medical/nursing exam, but airport screening is not a medical exam, it is a security screening. They are looking for very different things and just because an RN may be able to do a physical exam does not mean they could do a security exam.
When I worked as an RN in an inpatient Psych setting, I did screening of patients for bringing in things that were not allowed (like drugs or weapons), but I would still not know how to do an airport security exam.

I am one of the people who had heard of your condition before; mostly because I had a patient I was seeing for other reasons and her shoulders dislocated frequently, so I was interested in finding out more about why that would happen. I don't think it is necessary for the screeners to know or understand more than some very basic information - including that they need to listen to the passenger if the passenger says,"I will do what I can to assist in the screening, but I can't do this.....you need to touch this in this way....etc."

I have found references to a letter from the TSA to the 'disabled community', but just saw a copy of the text. You can find a story about it and a link to the text of the letter on the Paralyzed Veterans of America website
or here is a direct link to the letter.
The article also gives this contact for further information from TSA:
Should you have further questions, please contact: Rhonda Basha, Director, Office of Disability Policy and Outreach (ODPO) at rhonda.basha@dhs.gov or Brewster Thackeray, Senior Policy Advisor, ODPO at brewster.thackeray@tsa.dhs.gov.
The letter includes this information about AIT scanners:
"Some people with disabilities are ineligible for screening using AIT including the following: people who use wheelchairs and scooters who cannot stand; anyone who cannot stand with their arms raised at shoulder level for the 5-7 second duration of the scan; anyone who is not able to stand without the use of a cane, crutch, walker, etc; people who use service animals; people using or carrying oxygen; and individuals accompanying and providing assistance to those individuals described above. These people will be screened using alternate screening techniques including pat-downs."

This makes it sound like anyone traveling with and assisting a person with a disability is also ineligible for using the AIT scanner.

I think it's smart on their part to be involved with these groups BUT it's really just impossible to consult someone involved with every disease, disability, handicap, and medical device and then go on to train every employee in how to deal with them. That being said, some of the stuff that's been happening should have been covered in a sensitivity type class that ANYONE working with that much of the public should have to take.
Exactly - the part that is missing in the situations in the complaints is the customer service/sensitivity part.

There are too many disabilities and 'flavors' of various disabilities to be able to make any employee competent to know everything about each. And, they don't really need to - they need the sensitivity part that you are writing about. And a different attitude.

It makes me think of my one and only (so far) trip to Europe. I flew into Amsterdam from Minneapolis and because of bad thunderstorms, our landing was really traumatic and flights all over were cancelled. As passengers tried to re-book passage to get where we were going, the airline staff handed out bottles of water. I stuck mine in my coat pocket, intending to drink the rest of it later.
When it was time for my flight, I had to go thru something called Passport Control to enter the gate area for my flight. That's what I expected, just for them to check my passport and give them information on where I would be staying. But, after that, there was a full security gate with scanners, drug and bomb sniffing dogs and some security people with guns. I was already feeling very vulnerable and as I walked thru the security, one of the people asked what the bottle of liquid in my coat pocket contained. I was really intimidated then and had visions of them taking me into a small rooms, asking me questions in Dutch with the dogs and men with guns present and missing my plane to Brussels, which was leaving in 45 minutes.
Instead, they handled it as what it was - an anomaly that needed more evaluation. If the evaluation had proved to not have an easy, quick explanation, I'm sure it would have gone to step 2 - evaluation of a potential threat.
It seems that some of the TSA screeners are skipping the first evaluation step entirely and went right to #2.

Great point!

This makes it sound like anyone traveling with and assisting a person with a disability is also ineligible for using the AIT scanner.[/QUOTE

This will cause some problems... I can understand if they mean a person who cannot leave the side of a disabled person for any reason (i.e. a quad with no independent movement cannot just be left on the other side of screening b/c once the assistant is "clean" that person cannot go then assist the person with the disability). My wife will NOT submit to a pat down just because she is with me. She will do the scanner and I will move myself to the pat-down area.

This makes it sound like anyone traveling with and assisting a person with a disability is also ineligible for using the AIT scanner.[/QUOTE

This will cause some problems... I can understand if they mean a person who cannot leave the side of a disabled person for any reason (i.e. a quad with no independent movement cannot just be left on the other side of screening b/c once the assistant is "clean" that person cannot go then assist the person with the disability). My wife will NOT submit to a pat down just because she is with me. She will do the scanner and I will move myself to the pat-down area.
It's not clear what they mean by this for sure, but I know it would not be 'popular' with my DD.

Since each airport does not have enough AIT scanners for all passengers, right now they are choosing passengers who need to go thru the AIT. It's not clear if they mean only if the person is chosen for the AIT scanner and can't go use it or if they mean in general.

I sent a e-mail to the TSA from the link you provided Sue asking them about whether I can do the scanner instead of the pat down with my scooter and hardware in my foot and my crutches as long as I can stand alone long enough for it. I will report what they say if they answer back. I did ask for a reply.

I sent a e-mail to the TSA from the link you provided Sue asking them about whether I can do the scanner instead of the pat down with my scooter and hardware in my foot and my crutches as long as I can stand alone long enough for it. I will report what they say if they answer back. I did ask for a reply.
Thanks, I will be interested to hear what you find out.

This is from tsa.gov this si what they came up with for braces casts and other things not sure if it in every airport yet but it looks like it will be soon.
http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/castscope.shtm

this will answer alot of your question since this is still what they have to follow witht the scanners pat down and metal detectors.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1567.shtm

This is what they say about companoin just in case you cant click on the link

Your companion, assistant, or family member may accompany you and assist you during a private or public screening. After providing this assistance, the companion, assistant, or family member will need to be rescreened.

This is from tsa.gov this si what they came up with for braces casts and other things not sure if it in every airport yet but it looks like it will be soon.
http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/castscope.shtm

this will answer alot of your question since this is still what they have to follow witht the scanners pat down and metal detectors.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1567.shtm

This is what they say about companoin just in case you cant click on the link

Your companion, assistant, or family member may accompany you and assist you during a private or public screening. After providing this assistance, the companion, assistant, or family member will need to be rescreened.
I posted the Castscope link earlier (but you may not have seen it since it was in one thread and this thread is 4 threads that were combined to make one thread.)
That is the only page I could find about Castscope, but it appears to be very similar technology to the new AIT scanners.

Thanks for the other link. I think it is a new page of tips. Although TSA doesn't put dates on its pages so I can't be sure, I had not found that page when I did a pretty good search of the TSA site a few days ago to update links for this thread.

I'm adding some of these new links/information to post 15 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is about air travel.

I posted the Castscope link earlier (but you may not have seen it since it was in one thread and this thread is 4 threads that were combined to make one thread.)
That is the only page I could find about Castscope, but it appears to be very similar technology to the new AIT scanners.

Thanks for the other link. I think it is a new page of tips. Although TSA doesn't put dates on its pages so I can't be sure, I had not found that page when I did a pretty good search of the TSA site a few days ago to update links for this thread.

I'm adding some of these new links/information to post 15 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is about air travel.

sorry abut sue yea i wish they would put dates they have what they say a new polcy but when i opened it it was dated for 2006. I think they need to atleast put one up from 2010 but i dont think they thought these to new things would cause so much trouble. I think they thought oh a new way to screen mybe it take longer that it they did think as many people as their is against it and they didnt think the new pat downs would cause so much problems.

I stongly suggest everyone read that second link that is basicaily your rights they have to do no matter which airport or aganet. They have to follow each step still i know it not updated but i dont think that it will change with the new pat downs.

i have one more link which i hope sue hasn't posted yet

Military Severely Injured Program
the tsa knows not to mess with other fedreal agencys so if this applys please follow the steps it make it easier for you and you will know that the dir of tsa for that airport will keep an eye on you.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1909.shtm

sorry abut sue yea i wish they would put dates they have what they say a new polcy but when i opened it it was dated for 2006. I think they need to atleast put one up from 2010 but i dont think they thought these to new things would cause so much trouble. I think they thought oh a new way to screen mybe it take longer that it they did think as many people as their is against it and they didnt think the new pat downs would cause so much problems.

I stongly suggest everyone read that second link that is basicaily your rights they have to do no matter which airport or aganet. They have to follow each step still i know it not updated but i dont think that it will change with the new pat downs.

i have one more link which i hope sue hasn't posted yet

Military Severely Injured Program
the tsa knows not to mess with other fedreal agencys so if this applys please follow the steps it make it easier for you and you will know that the dir of tsa for that airport will keep an eye on you.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1909.shtm
Links more than once are not a bad thing, so don't be sorry.

I got a response from the TSA today about my inquiry as to what I have to do when I get to security with my scooter and the hardware in my foot. Here is the response I got:

When traveling through the security checkpoints, advise the officers
that you have metal in your foot before going into the Walk Through
Metal Detectors. You will then be directed to go through the scanner.
When going through the scanner you need to remove all items out of your
pockets, including papers. When divesting, all items should be placed
in your purse, carry-on bag or bin. If any anomalies are found while
you go through the scanner, you may be subjected to a pat down search
for that anomaly. If there are no anomalies, you can then proceed to
gather your items.
For additional information for security, please visit our website at
www.tsa.gov

Regards,

Mike Estigoy

Mike Estigoy
Transportation Security Administration
Customer Support Manager
Detroit Field Office
office #(734) 942-2982
fax #(734) 955-8603
email: mike.estigoy@dhs.gov

Maybe it is something we should all do before we fly.

I did read the links post earlier, and I'm still confused. I have a catheter for peritoneal dialysis in my abdomen. I travel with a dialysis cycler, which they do check for explosives and visually inspect, which I am fine with. My problem is, am I required to let them visually inspect my cath? It is always covered in a dressing to prevent peritonitis. Would I have to expose it for visual inspection?

From what I understand is if you inform security of the issue as soon as you get there, then you can do the scan instead of the pat down. They would then just confirm what you told them by the scan. This should eliminate the need for the visual inspection from what I was told in the email.

I did read the links post earlier, and I'm still confused. I have a catheter for peritoneal dialysis in my abdomen. I travel with a dialysis cycler, which they do check for explosives and visually inspect, which I am fine with. My problem is, am I required to let them visually inspect my cath? It is always covered in a dressing to prevent peritonitis. Would I have to expose it for visual inspection?

I am not sure how the scanners/patdown would work for this, but they are not allowed to require you to remove sterile dressings.

I would suggest getting a letter from your doctor explaining the cath and the dressing, what they are, and why you cannot remove the dressing in the middle of an airport.

I would get a dr note explaining what it is like KPeveler said they wont make you take off the dressing. You have the right to be searched in private and they are not allowed to left up your shirt showing any medical device in public they have to offer you a private area for that.

Another tip for everyone carry a pen or pencil and a small piece of paper to write down the agents name and badge number before they pat you down. just in case something happens you will have their name and badage number to report them. They have to give you their name and badge number if you ask they can't refuse to give it to you and if they dont ask to speak to their supervisor.

If there is no metal in it, you should be able to go thru the metal detector or the scanner.
I would still do what the other posters recommended regarding the letter from your doctor. But if you have told them ahead of time that you have a tube, the scanner would just be confirmation of that tube.
You have a different situation with the peritoneal dialysis tube compared to the man with bladder cancer who was in the news. You have an empty tube that is used to put fluid in and out of your peritoneal cavity. He had basically an artificial bladder on the outside of his body. If he had had an empty tube attached to an empty bag, the TSA people would nor have been as interested in it.

Thanks for the responses! I feel better now!

Thanks for the responses! I feel better now!

I suggest printing out the pages from the TSA website listed above which state your rights, things like they cannot require you to remove sterile dressing, your right to a private search, your right to ask for a supervisor, etc. It cannot hurt to have them with you - hopefully it won't be needed, but there have been rare occassions where either TSA agents dont know or ignore their own rules for the sake of expediency (comforting thought, eh?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter